• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Remember when...

Handsome Devil Sparda

This Dante was like
y3yndnuqyt821.jpg

And we were all like
bliv08vvv5031.png

Lol classic :ROFL:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
That is a fair point. Nero as of DMC5 is cursing a storm much like DmC Dante is. Personally I think it is because DMC/Nero's atmosphere is better than DmC's and Nero is established to be a punk so it works. Now if classic Dante and Vergil were dropping F Bombs the fans would rage. DmC's atmosphere and characters were made to be gritty and bleak and thus it's cursing comes off as eye rolling. For example:

DmC Dante will walk through a door and witness Mundus having a orgy and then proceed to scream "fu@k you!" While shooting everybody.

DMC Dante will kick a fire demon then retort "Well Sh@t now I need to take my coat to the cleaners."

While both are cursing classic DMC is having fun with it while Reboot DmC is trying to be shocking. I think that is why we as fans look at DMC with love while DmC is invited to parties but not the one we want to bang. Ya get me?

Handsome Devil Sparda

I’m just glad they fix their game with definite edition and added classic skins
That is a fair point. Nero as of DMC5 is cursing a storm much like DmC Dante is. Personally I think it is because DMC/Nero's atmosphere is better than DmC's and Nero is established to be a punk so it works. Now if classic Dante and Vergil were dropping F Bombs the fans would rage. DmC's atmosphere and characters were made to be gritty and bleak and thus it's cursing comes off as eye rolling. For example:

DmC Dante will walk through a door and witness Mundus having a orgy and then proceed to scream "fu@k you!" While shooting everybody.

DMC Dante will kick a fire demon then retort "Well Sh@t now I need to take my coat to the cleaners."

While both are cursing classic DMC is having fun with it while Reboot DmC is trying to be shocking. I think that is why we as fans look at DMC with love while DmC is invited to parties but not the one we want to bang. Ya get me?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sorry you quoted my post but didn't say anything in response exactly. Or is your response that you r happy the Definitive Edition exists?

Jack500

What a load of fanboy bulls***. Let me guess, you only watched the succubus scene on youtube and convinced yourself that's all there is to DmC

DmC is invited to parties but not the one we want to bang. Ya get me?
What's ironic about this is DmC Dante actually gets laid unlike original Dante

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Densetsu no Makenshi
Before this thread goes to hell in a handbasket I'd like to give my opinion.

The DMC5 cursing scene was a better scene than DmC's.

I don't have a classic series bias, in fact I hate Nero and didn't give a damn who his parents are. I spent most of 5 thinking V was what a new character should be and Nero was not. But you give credit where credit is due and Johnny Young Bosch gave a good performance.

Honestly Nero was pretty weak in the beginning of 5 but he picked up in the later half once he drops the insufferable tryhard routine.

DmC's swearing is more hit and miss and the scene with the succubus was one of the weaker ones.

Last edited:

Handsome Devil Sparda

@Densetsu no Makenshi
Before this thread goes to hell in a handbasket I'd like to give my opinion.

The DMC5 cursing scene was a better scene than DmC's.

I don't have a classic series bias, in fact I hate Nero and didn't give a damn who his parents are. I spent most of 5 thinking V was what a new character should be and Nero was not. But you give credit where credit is due and Johnny Young Bosch gave a good performance.

Honestly Nero was pretty weak in the beginning of 5 but he picked up in the later half once he drops the insufferable tryhard routine.

DmC's swearing is more hit and miss and the scene with the succubus was one of the weaker ones.
Well DmC isn’t canon so it doesn’t exist so you don’t need to be biased, hell fans got so ****ed off at Ninja theory, they made the definitive edition to make it up with WHITE HAIR Dante skins including DMC 3 Dante and get to play Vergil with classic DMC 3 skin and DMC 1 exclusive to definitive edition

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think there are more than one reason as to why DmC's cursing comes off as juvenile whereas DMC5's... less so (not gonna say completely not).

First of all, it's Nero. A new character completely separate from Dante, and was established as a vulgar boy in 4 itself. It incites less of a reaction when it's not a version of an already established character. So @Sparda's rejected son is right when he says that if it had been Dante doing it, it wouldn't have gotten as much of a pass. I, for example, don't really like Dante swearing in the anime.

Second, context plays a part in how cursing comes off. Swearing in itself is not a problem. It often becomes one (not always, but more often than not) when it's the purpose of dialogue, rather than be a tool in the dialogue. An example of the latter in the reboot itself is when Dante teases Mundus comparing him to his "little demon bitches". It works there cause there's good enough context. A simple one, but good enough. He was actively trying to make him lose his temper. There, the cursing is a tool and not the protagonist or the point of the exchange.
But most other times, it's the other way around. "- You are dead, just like your whore mother. - Whore mother? I don't know my mother but if you're calling me a son of a bitch you wouldn't be the first.", "The world is at last your bitch. As am I.", and the whole succubus exchange are all instances of dialogue or entire scenes being built around the cursing, rather than the cursing serving the dialogue. That's when the swearing becomes cheap and eye-rolling.

So when you take the iconic F-bomb from DMC5 and compare it to the iconic F-bomb scene from DmC, that's where the difference lies, mostly. Lore wise, Nero's "**** you" is an expression of pent up anger and frustration towards his father who disregarded him and didn't even know he existed, Dante's "**** you" is literally just a swearing contest with some throwaway boss that has next to no significance to him aside from being in the way. It was shock value and shock value only, with no other subtext to it.
Could both moments have been done without the swearing and was the swearing there just to make a cool moment in both instances? Sure. The point is that, once you do end up deciding to put the swearing in them, one of them works better than the other with it because the rule of cool isn't the only factor at play.

Lastly, even if you ignore all that, and get down to the rule of cool factor alone, Nero's F-bomb in DMC5 ends up being enjoyable for a lot of people, unlike Dante's **** you-off, because it's just more self aware. The DT explosion and Silver Bullet starting off right as he does it, has an impact and you can have fun with it. It's flashy, the game knows it and rolls with it, not in a mean spirited way like the succubus exchange but in a more whacky, fun loving way. It's a good hype moment, doesn't make people dislike Nero, makes em have fun.

Last edited:

Jack500

My problem with people complaining about the cursing in DmC, is that they act as if it's all there is. Most of the cursing in DmC are just quips with no significance, and yet fanboys zero in on them while ignoring everything else.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Did DmC Dante not establish himself as punk from his debut? Didn't realize the church-gothic aesthetic lent itself to swearing and that an old-time, church-indoctrinated backwards town like Fortuna could somehow produce an uncouth punk like Nero who drops the F bomb while kicking Angelos and flips the middle finger at Dante. That's a good one.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I saw DMC3 Dante as more of antihero and in the manga translation he's more of a jerk so I just saw DmC Dante as an extension of that.

So a younger Dante could've pulled it off better than an older Dante because you'd give him more leeway. DMC3 is supposed to be his origin, people see him as a rookie, rough around the edges etc.

I would've preferred them staying with DMC3 Dante a bit longer and covering the gap between 3 and 1. So that would've been my preference for the reboot or a spinoff.

Honestly I'm surprised the cursing in DmC is pretty weak. Brits tend to be more inventive with it.

I would've preffered if DmC was more British instead of trying to be vaguely American.

Last edited:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
What a load of fanboy bulls***. Let me guess, you only watched the succubus scene on youtube and convinced yourself that's all there is to DmC

Forgive me but you "pulled my Devil Trigger" with this statement. How dare you! Have you any idea who I am? I am SRS. I am old as a dirt on this forum.
And I've played Every DMC game including original DmC and it's Definitive version and I don't mind the story that NT was trying to tell because despite the ugly visuals the game has the "best story" out of all the incarnations. But my example still stands and you know it.
(Sorry you caught me on a bad day)

Handsome Devil Sparda

My problem with people complaining about the cursing in DmC, is that they act as if it's all there is. Most of the cursing in DmC are just quips with no significance, and yet fanboys zero in on them while ignoring everything else.
Ya but look how much they realized and how they fixed their game not only with frames and combat but with skins and from the original DMC games, which all have his ICONIC WHITE HAIR LOL, funny how not in a million years became right after sales dunks
0e5.jpg

Jack500

Ya but look how much they realized and how they fixed their game not only with frames and combat but with skins and from the original DMC games, which all have his ICONIC WHITE HAIR LOL, funny how not in a million years became right after sales dunks
0e5.jpg
That's called a subversive joke

Top Bottom