• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Quick DMC questions

Blade8513

Okay so a few months ago I purchased DmC: Devil May Cry, played through it, I absolutely loved it so then I downloaded Vergil's Downfall beat that too and loved that as well. So I have decided I want to play the original series, Im downloading the DMC HD Collection tonight but I have read a lot and I mean A LOT of stuff online about how terrible and awful DMC2 is, so my question is should I play them in the order they were released ( 1,2, then 3) Or should I just get 2 out of the way and play 1 and 3 after I finish 2? Any recommendations as to which order I should play them and why will be greatly appreciated. I also apologize if this has been asked before already I literally joined minutes ago just to ask this question. Thanks.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i would play them in the chronological order of 3-1-2. if you manage to get a hand of 4 (which i'm not too fond of anyway but its still canon) play it 3-1-4-2

Blade8513

I'd just play them in order. 1 and 2 are both really short and can be finished in about four hours each.

Alright thanks, are they worth purchasing? Lol I probably will purchase the HD collection regardless but I am just wondering if its worth the 15 dollars for the first three games?

IncarnatedDemon

Alright thanks, are they worth purchasing? Lol I probably will purchase the HD collection regardless but I am just wondering if its worth the 15 dollars for the first three games?
Son, the reboot you played and loved.
its gameplay and other things comes from dmc1,2,3.

Its worth 15 dollars.

Blade8513

i would play them in the chronological order of 3-1-2. if you manage to get a hand of 4 (which i'm not too fond of anyway but its still canon) play it 3-1-4-2
Alright thanks, im not sure which order to play them, im buying the HD collection tonight and I see countless people talking badly about number 2, some people say skip it all together, then some say play 3,1,2 because its chronological but then some say play 1,2,then 3 because going from the controls on 3 then to 1 is kind of a let down, I am kind of OCD so I will be playing 1-4 one way or another , I just want to get some opinions from some real DMC fans. Thanks for the reply.

IncarnatedDemon

Alright thanks, im not sure which order to play them, im buying the HD collection tonight and I see countless people talking badly about number 2, some people say skip it all together, then some say play 3,1,2 because its chronological but then some say play 1,2,then 3 because going from the controls on 3 then to 1 is kind of a let down, I am kind of OCD so I will be playing 1-4 one way or another , I just want to get some opinions from some real DMC fans. Thanks for the reply.
Play all three, the people who tell you not to play dmc2 probably mean that dmc2 is not worth paying $10+.
Even a crap game is worth buying if you get it at low cost.
$5 for dmc2...is worth it in my opinion.

Blade8513

Son, the reboot you played and loved.
its gameplay and other things comes from dmc1,2,3.

Its worth 15 dollars.
Lol alright thanks I just wanted to make sure, but im glad and im really excited to play the original series, I remember seeing DMC 1,2 and 3 in stores and stuff when I was a kid but I never played them ( I don't know why because I played all the resident evil games and dino crisis 1 and 2 back in the day so idk how I missed DMC) but thanks for the reply I am about to purchase the HD collection tonight, now i just got to figure out which order to play them in.

IncarnatedDemon

Lol alright thanks I just wanted to make sure, but im glad and im really excited to play the original series, I remember seeing DMC 1,2 and 3 in stores and stuff when I was a kid but I never played them ( I don't know why because I played all the resident evil games and dino crisis 1 and 2 back in the day so idk how I missed DMC) but thanks for the reply I am about to purchase the HD collection tonight, now i just got to figure out which order to play them in.
You have two options:
  • Blue Pill
  • Red Pill
Take the Blue pill, and you will play dmc hd from 1-3.
Take Red pill, and you will play dmc hd from 3 to 1 to 2. Which is the chronological order of the story.

Blade8513

Play all three, the people who tell you not to play dmc2 probably mean that dmc2 is not worth paying $10+.
Even a crap game is worth buying if you get it at low cost.
$5 for dmc2...is worth it in my opinion.
Good point, Im definitely going to play all three and the 4th one as well, do you have any recommendations as to which order I should play them in?

IncarnatedDemon

Alright thanks a lot for all your replies. Is the replay value pretty good for the HD collection?
I am telling you...Dmc Devil May cry, the reboot that you played is based on devil may cry 1, 2, 3 and 4.
They are the source of 95% of the gameplay you see in reboot.
The difficulty settings included and stuff.

i.e YES.

Blade8513

I am telling you...Dmc Devil May cry, the reboot that you played is based on devil may cry 1, 2, 3 and 4.
They are the source of 95% of the gameplay you see in reboot.
The difficulty settings included and stuff.

i.e YES.
Yeah I know the newest one was based on the original series but I never knew how similar it actually was, im glad to know that I can be expecting a somewhat similar experience. That's awesome to me.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Okay so a few months ago I purchased DmC: Devil May Cry, played through it, I absolutely loved it --
Oh ****.

If that's the case, then welcome to hell. :/

Just get the third game. Nothing else touches it in terms of gameplay. Nope, not even 4.

Blade8513

Oh ****.

If that's the case, then welcome to hell. :/

Just get the third game. Nothing else touches it in terms of gameplay. Nope, not even 4.
Lol what do you mean by that? Also my OCD wont let me play just one of them and I don't even know where to get ps2 games anymore so if I want to play any of the originals on my ps3 I have to get the HD collection.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Lol what do you mean by that? Also my OCD wont let me play just one of them and I don't even know where to get ps2 games anymore so if I want to play any of the originals on my ps3 I have to get the HD collection.
I mean, get ready for people to give you **** because you liked DmC.

But whatever. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and they'll just let you slide. :D

Anyway, get all four games, but play them in this order:

2, 3, 1, 4.

Get 2 out of the way, since it sort of acts as it's own side story, and just enjoy the gameplay with the rest of the games.

1 is... serviceable, but 3 is where it gets really good. 4 takes a few moves out of 3, so it's not as good, in my honest opinion. But it's still very much enjoyable, from a gameplay perspective, anyway.

Just don't let the story, backtracking, Nero, and Dante's suddenly nonsensical attitude (especially the confetti scene) get you down. Because confetti Dante ruined the character for me, in my opinion.

I came up with a theory that he went insane from all that power coursing through his body and brain. But since people don't really want to hear it, I've stopped talking about it.

I'll just start a thread, that way I won't have to mention it anymore.

IncarnatedDemon

By the way, while you play 1-4 it is worth knowing that after dmc1 the guy who created Dante and who led the team that made dmc1...well that guy and his team was not put on the job to make dmc2.
And that is why dmc2 turned out way it did.
Around same time as dmc2, the creator Hideki Kamiya, left capcom.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Even so, the DMC2 team had also made DMC3. So, DMC2 can be forgiven, as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Jak
Top Bottom