• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

pros of each DMC game - the cons = DMC5

Status
Not open for further replies.

King of Hell

Must Die
ok, the forum is dying so I thought we'd need a real topic to liven it up.

I don't know what you thought when you read the title of the topic, its simple really, EACH DMC game had its pros & cons, we all know if they combined all the pros & tried to avoid as much of the cons as possible, we'd finally get our masterpiece.

some of you might have a different opinion on what are the pros & what are the cons of each game, so let's try to keep the topic lively, arguments are fun & welcome unless they get violent.

now if you're gonna say EVERYTHING IN DMC2 SUCKS or EVERYTHING IN DMC4 SUCKS, then save it, you know that each game did at least one thing right, so try to keep an open mind.

I'll start, & you give me your opinion on what you think of my list, while you give us what you think are the pros & cons of each game.

DEVIL MAY CRY 1:
Pros:

- the atmosphere & the environment were excellent, they were literally artistic, it also had amazing gothic feel.
- GREAT attention to detail, sometimes you find yourself standing in the ghost ship just looking at how amazing it looks in just every corner.
- the Devil Trigger in this game was actually the most useful in the series, you feel that you jumped to a higher plane when you actually Devil Trigger, it gave you the special Devil Trigger moveset that aids you & gives you a reason to Devil Trigger besides getting more muscle.
- I can't stress this enough, but THE ENEMY DESIGN, from the puppets to the shadows to Nobodies, I'd go as far as to say it actually got the enemy design perfect, not only that, but each & every enemy had his moveset as big as Dante's.
- Dynamic jump into the next difficulty, it doesn't just raise the enemy's hit points & strength while weakening you, it changes the placement of each & every enemy, while giving them bonus moveset in DMD, especially when they access their Devil Trigger.
- The Secret Missions felt more like a gimmick than just "kill the enemies in 1 minute or run your ass off to the other side", their placement were actually "secret" too.
- the game had a moderate amount of gore that strengthened its gothic feel.

Cons:
- while this isn't true compared to when it first came out, but the combat system is very slow & stale.
- The Bangle of Time gave you no reason to be used especially against bosses.
- a broken weapon, the Grenade Launcher, while it didn't feel as broken in DMD, but it made the game a breeze in the very early difficulties, it can do a lot of damage while going to a very very long distance.
- slow story progression, it almost doesn't pick up until the third fight with Nelo Angelo.
- some missions were very short & probably take only 2 minutes to complete.

Devil May Cry 2:
Pros:
- Probably the most obvious to the fans is that it had the best Devil Trigger design in the series.
- it introduced the Majin form, while it was broken, it was still a good concept.
- it probably introduced most of the styles we found in DMC3, Trickster, Gunslinger, & Swordmaster were all in the game...somewhere.
- leaving the consequences aside, it was probably the longest game in the series, not in quality but in quantity.
- It introduced Bloody Palace.

Cons:
- I don't wanna go too deep into the cons of this game, but most fans know exactly what was wrong with it

Devil May Cry 3:
Pros:
- it probably had the most exciting combat system in the series.
- it also had the most amount of variable weapons in any DMC game.
- not only that, but EACH & EVERY weapon was different than the other.
- it perfected the story progression we need in any DMC game, sure its not as deep as MGS, but DMC3 had everything in a story a DMC fan needs.
- in sheer technicality, it was the hardest game in the series, more on that bellow.

Cons:
- a continuation of the previous point, the game was difficult, but not in the way DMC1 did it, it just raised enemies hit points & strength while weakining you, sometimes you find yourself punching a demon for 5 minutes in DMD mode, DMC1 gave enemies more aggression & a bigger moveset, while all this one did was make the game "technically" the hardest in the series.
- while it got a lot of the gothic feel from the original, it still had cartoonish moments, like Million stab & the other crazy combos, while the crazy combos were awesome, the way you actually see them was cartoonish, another example is how Dante picks up & hangs up the phone, there are more such moments in the game.
- with the way platforming was implemented, you kinda feel like they were trying to give the game more prince of persia feel to it.

Devil May Cry 4:
Pros:
- while not really something you give it a 1up for, but it had the best visuals & animations.
- semi-perfected Bloody Palace, its only downside was that it was a little short, DMC2 & DMC3 felt like giving you infinite amount of floors with no point in going through them, while this one felt like you actually have a goal. doubling the amount of levels would make it perfect.
- Pandora was probably the most creative & original weapon we've seen in a DMC game, & it wasn't actually a broken weapon.
- if we look at it in a shallow way, it had the ability to change styles on-the-fly.
- they almost-perfected the ranking system, I've been dreaming to see Super Costumes actually downgrade the player. while breaking chairs wasn't supposed to give you the ranking you need but the orbs from actually the killed demons, despite that set-back, it was the most fair ranking system, it punishes you for being naughty, & awards you for being hardcore.
- probably had the most variable amount of difficulties we've seen in a DMC game, including their names.

Cons:
- Dante was badass & a teenager in DMC3, but he had emotions, Dante was badass & even had more emotions in DMC1, yet the Dante we have here is badass minus emotions.
- the game wasn't as hard as DMC1 or DMC3, but still it wasn't as easy as DMC2.
- the devil bringer was an amazing concept, but it was actually broken, you could jump around bustering everybody in sight.
- while it didn't have the cartoonish feel of DMC3, but it actually travelled to FF land.
- the game had less Dante time.
- the game established more plot holes than actually resolving the past ones.
- each style for Dante was very shallow, no style was as deep as its DMC3 counterpart.
- the exceed system - while it gave DMC a new feel - it gave us a feel that we shouldn't have in a DMC game.
- it never tried to address how DMC3 had weird platforming elements, but it actually expanded upon them.

now what's the point of the topic? my point is that we need the pros from all the games, try to avoid the cons, improve upon the existing pros, & we're not supposed to get the perfect DMC game we've been waiting for? who's gonna hate DMC5 if this is exactly what they're gonna do with it?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
The forum is dying?
*looks around*
You sure you're on the right forum??

With every game there are always gonna be cons.
I gotta say that i loved how 'real' Dante looked (especially his stubble)
DMC2 is put down way too much. The only thing that was bad to me was the lip-sync on the characters

Vampi

Um put another Pro for DMC 2. DMC 2 Dante's hair moved when you fought (i like that lil graphical effect. Too bad its never return and we still have Stiff Haired Dante). Also DMC 2 Dante has original moves that we haven't seen in the other games since. His costume is the best out of the series.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Vampi;266209 said:
Um put another Pro for DMC 2. DMC 2 Dante's hair moved when you fought (i like that lil graphical effect. Too bad its never return and we still have Stiff Haired Dante). Also DMC 2 Dante has original moves that we haven't seen in the other games since. His costume is the best out of the series.

Add that the enemy and boss design was pretty good, too. Possessed Arius, The Despair Embodied, and Bolverk come to mind right away.

King of Hell

Must Die
capcom actually thought we hated everything in DMC2, the physics of Dante's hair is also something we want in DMC5, I never noticed because its been ages since I played DMC2. the despair actually looked good, but I wanted to leave the enemy design as one of the biggest pros of the original, it also explains why they kept reusing some of DMC1 enemies like Blades, the skull, frosts, & phantom.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think a great place to have a comeback would be the Living Cave, AKA the DMC1 Hell. Twas awesome.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
oh yeah, i remember that.
I quite liked the limestone cavern in DMC3 (Something like that, its in mission 9. Now doubt someone will correct me)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Vergil'sB*tch;266227 said:
oh yeah, i remember that.
I quite liked the limestone cavern in DMC3 (Something like that, its in mission 9. Now doubt someone will correct me)

No, I'm pretty sure you're right on that note.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
To me, Devil May Cry 1 was perfect in every way except:
-You can only Devil Trigger using certain weapons.
-Ifrit has no other combos aside from the normal.
-All of the swords only have the same three combos, which are three slashes, five slashes, or two slashes and Thousand Stab.

I would like to point out that, in DMC2, Dante also has more combos than in any other game, the combat system is just set up differently. In all of the other games, you pulled off different combos by timing the use of your attack button, but in DMC2, you achieved different combos by pushing the analog stick in a different direction in the middle of Dante's attacks. Therefore, Dante actually has the most unique fighting style in DMC2. My cons with DMC2, aside from the obvious "The story wasn't presented in a nice way" are that Dante's running animation was terrible, and he fired Ebony and Ivory entirely too slow.

In Devil May Cry 3 (I'm not going to bring up special edition, because special edition adds no cons...just a character and BP) was awesome...I hardly have any problems with it at all. The leveling system, the combat, the devil arms...everything was spot on...but, it didn't quite accomplish that same, neat feeling you get when you play through Devil May Cry 1. I'm not sure what it was that was lacking...but something's lost.

And then finally, Devil May Cry 4. Before I say anything else, I want to say...so what if it looks more like Final Fantasy? So what if it's not as gothic and dark? You've gotta realize, not EVERY place on Earth is going to look like some dark, gothic, horrifying place of death. I personally thought the change in scenery design was nice. Now that that's out of the way...my cons are that Nero simply needed more weapons, and he needs more explanation...but him being there isn't necessarily random...I mean, you can't say he has NO purpose for being in the DMC universe just because he popped up at an odd time. Nero was brought into the series because at that time in the game's timeline, Dante went to Fortuna, where Nero lives. Why did Dante go there? The Order is taking Devil Arms? Nero's presence doesn't really have to be justified right off the bat, because he lives in that place. The con with this? Why is he living there.

Yes, I love Nero's character, but again, there is plenty of explaning to be done. These things you guys all keep referring to as 'plot holes' aren't BAD. It just means a few things need to be explained [next DMC game anyone?]

ONE FINAL THING. Devil May Cry 1 does something that the rest of the games don't. Ever noticed in DMC2-4, when you are shooting, if you are moving in a diagonal direction of any sort, the character's feet are still walking straight forward, straight back, directly left or directly right? DMC1 makes him walk right...his feet move in whatever direction HE is moving in. XD

I know I mostly pointed out cons, but cons also need to be discussed, because if you avoid them, then you don't really know what to fix.

PS~ I still want both Dante and Nero in the next game, as I don't find Nero to be a rip off xP

Vampi

BlueDevil;266230 said:
-All of the swords only have the same three combos, which are three slashes, five slashes, or two slashes and Thousand Stab.

I would like to point out that, in DMC2, Dante also has more combos than in any other game, the combat system is just set up differently. In all of the other games, you pulled off different combos by timing the use of your attack button, but in DMC2, you achieved different combos by pushing the analog stick in a different direction in the middle of Dante's attacks. Therefore, Dante actually has the most unique fighting style in DMC2. My cons with DMC2, aside from the obvious "The story wasn't presented in a nice way" are that Dante's running animation was terrible, and he fired Ebony and Ivory entirely too slow.

In Devil May Cry 3 (I'm not going to bring up special edition, because special edition adds no cons...just a character and BP) was awesome...I hardly have any problems with it at all. The leveling system, the combat, the devil arms...everything was spot on...but, it didn't quite accomplish that same, neat feeling you get when you play through Devil May Cry 1. I'm not sure what it was that was lacking...but something's lost.

And then finally, Devil May Cry 4. Before I say anything else, I want to say...so what if it looks more like Final Fantasy? So what if it's not as gothic and dark? You've gotta realize, not EVERY place on Earth is going to look like some dark, gothic, horrifying place of death. I personally thought the change in scenery design was nice. Now that that's out of the way...my cons are that Nero simply needed more weapons, and he needs more explanation...but him being there isn't necessarily random...I mean, you can't say he has NO purpose for being in the DMC universe just because he popped up at an odd time. Nero was brought into the series because at that time in the game's timeline, Dante went to Fortuna, where Nero lives. Why did Dante go there? The Order is taking Devil Arms? Nero's presence doesn't really have to be justified right off the bat, because he lives in that place. The con with this? Why is he living there.

Yes, I love Nero's character, but again, there is plenty of explaning to be done. These things you guys all keep referring to as 'plot holes' aren't BAD. It just means a few things need to be explained [next DMC game anyone?]

ONE FINAL THING. Devil May Cry 1 does something that the rest of the games don't. Ever noticed in DMC2-4, when you are shooting, if you are moving in a diagonal direction of any sort, the character's feet are still walking straight forward, straight back, directly left or directly right? DMC1 makes him walk right...his feet move in whatever direction HE is moving in. XD

I know I mostly pointed out cons, but cons also need to be discussed, because if you avoid them, then you don't really know what to fix.

PS~ I still want both Dante and Nero in the next game, as I don't find Nero to be a rip off xP

Actually another Pro DMC 2 had was Dante's dodging technique. it was very easy to do and very cool looking as well. He even did a somersault while he shot his shotgun. And i do agree, he had a very unique gameplay mechanic that used the analog stick alot. Unfortunately, if they ever do bring those features back, alot of people will say he ripped it off from Bayonetta. Come to show that Bayonetta isn't the evolution as alot of people thought it is since DMC 2 did this long ago.

And about the gothic architecture? Um...you do realize that's why DMC is all about, gothic stuff. Its not about looking Final Fantasy-ish or whatnot. And also the environments in DMC 4 lacked alot of detail. DMC 1 till this day is the best environmental design in the series.

And yes Nero just came out of nowhere with no purpose. It would've been fine if the story was self-contained like DMC 2 or DMC 3. But there are way too many plotholes in the game and you just don't care for the character and his cliche quest for his mannequin love interest whose as interesting as a piece of cardboard.

But whatever. I'm just saying DMC 2 isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. I kinda prefer it more then DMC 4 in sum ways.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think a nice thing for DMC5 would be a mission creator. You make a mission using pieces of a map that you put together, add enemy and player spawn points, divinity statues, red orb crystals, maybe some secret missions, and of course put in an objective. It can be as simple as "kill the boss" or you can put in optional, secondary objectives such as "kill the boss within three minutes".

Now some people may say "That's not very DMC-like". But then again, if there IS a mission creator, you don't HAVE to use it, making that point invalid. ;)

King of Hell

Must Die
BlueDevil;266230 said:

most of the things you mentioned that DMC1 lacked were combat related, if I play it now its a little slow & stale, but hell its still fun. & I didn't notice how Dante walked when using E&I.

I prefer timing the combos than using the analog stick, Nero had a few abilities that used something similar, they weren't bad, but timing your combos worked better for me.

& I know what DMC3 lacked, the same attention to detail DMC1 had, the gothic instead of gothic-cartoonish feel, & the enemy design.

DMC4's environment wasn't bad, but it needed more gothic feel, the problem was that the producer wanted it to appeal to female gamers, & what other game than FF do female gamers love? a lot of female gamers loved the gothic feel of the original, it was a silly thing for him to think that all females don't appreciate violence & love the FFish feel in video games.

& I'm not a Nero hater, they can have him as a supporting character in the whole franchise if they want or even give him a spin-off, or maybe a few missions I don't care, but Dante needs to have the majority of the game for him, he is DMC after all, he wasn't rated as the coolest character in the last decade in numerous websites & magazines for nothing, ya know.

about the plot holes, if we walk around accepting the plot holes they've made in DMC4, they'd probably do it all over again in DMC5, they have to know that we don't appreciate plot holes.

I think a nice thing for DMC5 would be a mission creator. You make a mission using pieces of a map that you put together, add enemy and player spawn points, divinity statues, red orb crystals, maybe some secret missions, and of course put in an objective. It can be as simple as "kill the boss" or you can put in optional, secondary objectives such as "kill the boss within three minutes".

Now some people may say "That's not very DMC-like". But then again, if there IS a mission creator, you don't HAVE to use it, making that point invalid.

it might be nice, but I always thought these kind of additions brings the game to a different unwarranted level, this feature might start with good intentions, but soon enough, we might get DMC7 that is ONLY mission creator. as long as its a simple gimmick where you add rooms & connect them, set the amount of enemies, their strength & hit point...etc, it would be fine, but I really don't want them to drift slowly into a different genre.
IF its gonna stay just a mini addition for the rest of the series instead of basing the whole game on it, I'd be happy to make the hardest levels you will ever see, like fighting 8 Nelo Angelos with nightmare in the middle. :p

what I've really wanted ever since DMC3 is arcade mode...the name sounds cheesy but listen to what I have to say, whenever I wanna do an S run, it gets tiresome to get through the mission complete screen, then mission start screen, all the cutscenes...etc.
Arcade mode is like playing through the whole game without a single interruption, no mission complete screen, no cutscenes, your ranking appears in the corner of the screen when you reach the next mission. & by no interruption, I mean no blackout after a boss fight, everything goes smoothly, just loading screens between rooms.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
The arcade mode sounds great. And about my mission creator... It was meant as an add-on, like Bloody Palace. Nothing more, nothing less.

King of Hell

Must Die
as long as it stays that way, you know how capcom likes to please new coming fans who played for 5 minutes & ignore the fans who have been with them from the start (eg: Resident Evil).

Goldendriger

Uh maybe i missed something, but what was wrong with DMC2? I mean, all i can see is the serious Dante and Lucia who wasnt at all relatable and we were supposed to feel sorry for her, but the combat was good, (Guns were overpowered but if you dont like them, dont use them) and the last was all his weapons were swords, i mean Pluses- You get to use Sparda again, use Trish and her unique D.T, even Lucia combat-wise was unique, i mean 2 blades and she combined gymnastic-style fighting with slick blade formations to make her a flowery ballet next to Dante's basic tango fest. even the Majin form (Overpowered but its saved my ass a few times) it was fun when you first see it and are like =O!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom