• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Posting and Forums: A Userguide [README]

Keaton

Premium
Posting and Forums: A User Guide

UPDATES
24 June 08, 12:55
Posted the Userguide and Added formatting

24 June 08, 15:26
Added some more abbreviations thanks to Vauxchen

25 June 08, 12:50
Linked Signature Request Thread to appropriate Text

26 June 08, 20:48
Added Luce and Ombra abbreviation (Due to Ebony and Ivory's presence) thanks to Trish67

7 July 08, 08:30
Amended Luce and Ombra abbreviation, thanks to Trish67 and SpardaTM. Also added Trish's use of these weapons, again thanks to Trish67

29 July 08, 14:30
Added 'Thank You', 'You're Welcome' and 'No Problem' and 'Please' abbreviations, credit to Vauxchen.

Welcome to this user guide of how to use the forum to its full potential and have the most fun doing so! This guide will cover basic questions with answers to simple dilemmas that even the most active and experienced individuals face every day.

You’re New; What to do?

First of all, welcome to the forum!
This place may look daunting and confusing with all the different threads and forums for various subjects, but I can assure you it is nowhere near as complex as it might look :)

The best place to begin would be the Introduction Area obviously to acquaint yourself with existing members and to make others aware of you joining. This isn't a must, but it would be a good idea to make your first thread within this section on the DevilMayCry.Org forum.

The introduction forum is located near the bottom of the main page within the ‘Mallet Island’ section, clearly marked ‘Introductions and Goodbyes’ - (found here : Introductions and Goodbyes)

You can freely make yourself an intro thread here to let us all know who you are and also to simply say "Hi!". We are all very friendly here and are happy to chat about lots of subjects not just Devil May Cry (although we do looove it!)

A Question Needs Answering

If you have just joined or perhaps have been lurking for a while you may have some questions that need answering, such as “I can’t find X Blue Orb Piece!” or “This boss keeps killing me!” or even the infamous “Who do you think Nero is?!”.

If it’s just a question you want answering (and not discussing) the Search Bar is your best friend. By inputting the criteria it is a very quick process to find a topic that is relevant to your query and this may answer your question ^__^

If you have tried searching for an answer but you seem underwhelmed by the search results, nor feel that the answers you found are the ones you are looking for, now is the time to start a new thread in the relevant area.

FORUM SECTIONS
LIMBO CITY

DmC: Devil May Cry Forum: For topics relating to the Devil May Cry reboot by Ninja Theory and the DmC: Definitive Edition.

Devil May Cry Forum: For topics relating to Devil May Cry 1.

Devil May Cry 2 Forum: For topics relating to Devil May Cry 2.

Devil May Cry 3 Forum: for topics relating to Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition.

Devil May Cry 4 Forum: For topics relating to Devil May Cry 4 and Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.

FORTUNA CASTLE

Devil May Cry General Discussion: For topics relating to anything concerning Devil May Cry that wouldn't necessarily fit into just one section. [Example: Which Devil Trigger is your favourite?] would fit into multiple Devil May Cry Forums, therefore better suited to just General Discussion.

Devil May Cry: The Animated Series
: For topics relating to the Devil May Cry Anime Series.

Fan Fiction and Fan Art: For the posting and reading of Devil May Cry Fan Fictions
(non-DMC works are welcome too) and artwork (any) is welcomed here.

MALLET ISLAND

News & Announcements:
Here you'll find news related information and announcements about anything that is upcoming concerning Devil May Cry and/or DmC.

Introductions and Goodbyes
: For new and returning members to introduce themselves to the active community or for members to say goodbye or announce any leave.

General Discussion: Encourages the discussion of anything non-DevilMayCry related.

General Gaming Discussion: Encourages the discussion of video games that aren't Devil May Cry. Though nobody will be penalised if it is discussed here.

To summarise, if you want to ask “how to get the best combo in DMC3” you would post this in the Devil May Cry 3 forum.

(If you need a Signature or Avatar you can formally request one in the New Sig Request Thread in the Fan Fiction and Fan Art forum)​

Notes for all members, not just new ones!

Bumping, When to do so, when not to:

Bumping is a term that refers to when a thread is ‘bumped’ to the top of the thread list when a new post is added. This 80% of the time is a casual thing, especially with two popular topics, this is fine and is the sign of a healthy forum, however when someone posts in a thread that has had no new posts in over six months+, this isn't a good thing.

If an old or inactive thread is bumped to the top several things happen. The first is that it may cause flaming, trolling and spamming due to the topic nature (see below), especially if the thread discussion has been resolved and it has been bumped to simply add a small comment such as “yeah I agree”, “lolz that was funny” and “I still think Nero is Sparda!”.

Comments and bumps such as these serve little to no relevance to the ‘dead’ topic, and reviving it leads to spamming and flaming because the subject has been resolved – arguments for and against it mean and result nothing. It is better in this situation to start a new discussion about the subject, rather than drawing old posts (and possibly some done by now inactive members) into a new argument.

Trolls, Flamers and Spammers; Oh My!

If I had a penny for every troll, flamer and spammer. I would have many pennies!

TROLL: A troll is a user (usually joined for this reason), whom creates threads and posts in threads for the simple pleasure of causing unrest and arguments within a forum.

Often a Troll will post comments like “Dante is such a wuss!” that simply exist to lure competent posters to reply so they can continue to annoy. The posts from the Troll will often be groundless, make little to no sense about the subject and are often vulgar and offensive to members (directly or indirectly). The best way to combat a Troll is this:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

If a post has any characteristics of Trolling DO NOT REPLY TO IT, Report it or PM the person in question to ask them about the subject...if the person IS Trolling cease PM’ing and Report the user attaching any relevant texts and links for the Mod/Admin to look over. If the person isn't Trolling feel free to comment in said thread/PM and hopefully their following post will clear up all hints of negativity – hopefully.

FLAMERS: A flamer can be anyone and everyone - usually more prominent in rating forums (card games, video game teams and even art work threads). Flaming is where a user insults someone without grounds/criticism to back it up.

Flaming: LOLZ! OMGZ WHED YOU LEARN TO DRAWZ?! YOU IS **** MY DOG CAN DRAW BETTERS!

Not Flaming: Looks good but you need to fix the left eye because it is too high... (enter constructive crit.)

Flaming is not nice, and bashing someone for no reason is just unneeded. Even if a users post is misinformed, it does not justify rudeness! Explain your point, where the user is going wrong and resolve the confusion politely :D, after all we were all new once and just because someone does not know ‘how to use Pandora’ or ‘combo’ doesn't mean ANYONE can be a bigoted idiot- period.

SPAM: Spamming is the process of filling the thread with useless posts, different from Trolling, this can be done intentionally and unintentionally. Posts below 10 words can be considered Spam because it is unlikely that such as short post can contribute to an active thread, posts with “lol”, “I agree” or “whatever” with nothing or very little else are Spam, pure and simple. If you want to express your humour at a comment feel free, but try and add a line of text too, it keeps the thread alive ^__^

Intentional Spam can be dumb stuff such as a user signing up to post threads regarding advertising or other ‘bot’ related stuff. Do as you would with a Troll in this case...ignore and report :D

Get the Lingo Me Dingo o_O

Here are some abbreviations that may help you understand what others are saying. Especially since some of these are second nature to some of us:

Abbreviation - Meaning
LOL: Laugh Out Loud
LMAO: Laughing My Ass Off
LMFAO: Laughing My F_cking @$$ Off
ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing/roll on floor laughing
IDK: I don't know
DW: Don't worry
BRB: Be right back
AFK: Away from keyboard
ATM: At the moment
FYI: For your information
WTF: What the f_ck
BTW: By The Way
IKR: I know right
IIRC: If I Recall Correctly
DMC: Devil May Cry
E+I: Ebony and Ivory (Dante's Handguns)
L+O: Luce and Ombra (Sparda's Handguns - also used by Trish)
DW: Don’t Worry
IMO: In my opinion
IMHO: In my honest opinion
Noob: Referring to a new member (sometimes insulting)
OMG: Oh my Gosh/God
AFAIK: As far as I know
FFS: For ***ks sake
IC: I See (clever eh o_O)
PLS: Please
TY: Thank You
YW: You're Welcome
NP: No Problem
IRL: In real life
TL;DR: Talk later, didn't read
IDC: I don't care
OTT: Over the top
OC: Original character
PM: Private message

If I've missed anything please let me know. And if you see anything you don't understand, just ASK, we don't bite ^__^

If anyone has any questions in general or wants to add something here please feel free to message me or another member of staff.

USEFUL LINKS:

Blue Orb Fragment Guide DMC4: http://sephirosuy.blogspot.com/2008/02/dmc4-blue-orbs.html

Forum Rules

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Very formal, straight to the point and helpful.

EDITED - May 17th 2015

* Added more abbreviations.
* Added more useful and helpful links.
* Edited any incorrect information or anything that needed updating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom