• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

possible reasons for dante's changing personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
if we ignore dmc2 it makes perfect sense.

dmc3 at that point he is a total idiot who has yet to learn his own strength

dmc1; more mature so he can tell when he has to take things seriously and he is up against Mundus so he has to be serious.

Anime: he was bored out of his mind so he couldn't think of any jokes.

dmc4: still mature enough to tell when he has to take things seriously but he didn't have to be serious since Nero was doing most of the work and none of the demons in fortuna were strong enough to be a threat anyway.

putting all this together we can say that Dante is capable of being mature when he needs to be but he hasn't needed to be mature since he beat Mundus. so he will just play around until a demon at that same level appears and if that happens Dante would act serious when he gets to that demon, but as Dante gets stronger the level of demon required to make him be serious gets higher to the point were nothing short of a minor god can make him not make at least one lame joke before killing it.

so dose anyone have any comments, questions, alternate theories. or random insults.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
Well just one.

In DMC2 he could be all dark and gloomy because it could be a anniversary of bad things that have happened to him.

Like it could be a time close to his birthday, or the day his mother died.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
The crazy demon;260884 said:
Well just one.

In DMC2 he could be all dark and gloomy because it could be a anniversary of bad things that have happened to him.

Like it could be a time close to his birthday, or the day his mother died.

that or he went back to fortuna and made so many lame jokes that he couldn't think of any new ones during dmc2.:)

or maybe the situation in that game was so dull that he couldn't find anything to make fun of. :D

or he flipped that coin to decide whether he was going to make fun of anyone that week. :lol:

or he lost a bet and was required to stop making jokes for a month.^_^

i think i like my theories better. something that actually makes sense would be a boring reason.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I have a good reason.

The deaths of Lady and Trish, and Dante finally realizing that it's not all fun and games when you have people close to you die. He probably snapped after they died and had a nervous breakdown.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DreadnoughtDT;260887 said:
I have a good reason.

The deaths of Lady and Trish, and Dante finally realizing that it's not all fun and games when you have people close to you die. He probably snapped after they died and had a nervous breakdown.

oh come on people this is supposed to be a fun thread. don't make it depressing.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
The crazy demon;260891 said:
^You could have said it was a fun thread before creating the first theory you know?

you have a point. i expected some serious discussion but not something depressing. i think the best description for what i was planning for the thread was fun discussion ( actually talk about the subject but in a fun way) the best hint that i wasn't going for a really serious thread would probably be my list of possible reasons for Dante to be gloomy in dmc2. not a single serious reason among them. but i suppose if anyone wants to take this seriously they are free to do so.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DreadnoughtDT;260899 said:
Hey, sorry about that man. I didn't exactly read your post. :(

actually i have a serious reply to you're serious theory.

it's not like Dante's life has been without problems. his mother was killed by demons. his father is missing and almost definitely dead. he killed his own brother.

basically Dante has had a really messed up life. and yet shows no signs of mental trauma. the only affect his past has had on him is his choice of job and he probably would have picked that job anyway due to the identity of his father. Dante probably isn't human enough to have a nervous breakdown. ( the fact that he has chosen to live as a human doesn't make him any more human than Vergil.)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well then how would you explain it? I think he's more human than he seems. Losing that many people, regardless of semi-humanity or not, would get to someone.

Lady Nevan

Definitely, there is a conflict between human Dante and demon Dante. A human, calm part and a demon, wild part.

He is so badass, yeah, but he had A LOT OF terrible events in his whole life. First, his mother's death. He suffered from this too much. And other things , y'know

I think that his badass behaviours are a mask. Don't you think?

Eien

Shotgun
DMC2: The deaths of Lady or Trish. Post apocalyptic setting. Did you see the sky in DMC 2? Looked like things had gone to hell. What if that sky wasn't just local? What if he had taken on some serious big bad and saved the world, but there had been some really bad repercussion.

That's what I decided totally happened. I don't know which, but something went down off screen.

On the other hand my friend says that Dante is a stand in. They didn't give him lines and he just stood there for costume and lighting checks.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
The more powerful and intimidating Dante becomes to the demon world the more obvious his one weakness will become. Hurting those closest to him which would be Lady and Trish.

Perhaps his dark attitude in 2 is down to the fact that he has realised that if he is to live his life as a demon hunter, the only way to become truely invincible is to live his life by himself and never let anyone get close to him again. Hows that for depressing? :lol:

I just remembered that scene in DMC2 where Arius and Dante start fighting and Arius says "you cannot win..someone is holding you back" (Lucia pinned to the wall)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
A possible theory that Dante has experience something painful to him before the events of DMC2 and after DMC4, like Lady's or Trish's deaths, like other users posted earlier. Or it could be Nero's or Kyrie's death or anyone else. DMC2's environment and atmosphere were so dark that I thought I was playing some kind of serious, gothic, emo game or something. Until the release of a new DMC game that will explain everything that happens before DMC and after DMC4, we will never know.

Plus, I want to know why Dante suddenly looked younger in DMC2 compared to his DMC4 appearance...

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Ugh! All this seriousness!
I think Dante just ran out of steam in DMC2. Maybe he was depressed because he had to tag through this mission with Lucia while Trish and Lady and everyone else was having a blast on a paradise island without him? I mean, you gotta admit, Dante wasn't 'all there' in DMC2.

Or, maybe he found out that Nero is Vergil's son. It makes me depressed, so why not Dante too?

OR, maybe he bumped into Vergil and got his butt kicked, and he's all dark and broody because he really thought he'd finally gotten rid of evil Vergil? And he might be contemplating his revenge, which probably takes up all his concentration therefore draining him of the mind power to come up with any wit in DMC2?

I like all darkslayer's theories though. ^_^ Especially the coin flipping one - XD

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Perhaps he was told that Capcom were thinking of Discarding him.
Dante could even have been dying... and just like Sparda and Vergil, he went back to the demon world.

Don't scream at me, its just a theory

Meg

Don't worry I have arrived! This thread is now officially a fun thread. Here's what I think: someone stole his cake right before DMC2 started. He was to upset about it to be his joking self.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Chloe_Ryder;261173 said:
^Exactly!!! Who wouldn't be sad if someone stole their cake? And not just any cake. CHOCOLATE CAKE!

Or cheesecake, or carrot cake, or ICE CREAM CAKE! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom