• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Pointless video game genres....

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Visual Novels are not pointless. They have so much influence in today's RPGs than what you think that without this medium the whole interactivity of the players in RPGs would still be linear in terms of story and mechanics. There will be no branching storylines and there would be no choices in RPGs or heck games in general. Never underestimate Visual Novels.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I don't have a problem with games that play or function outside of the normal industry standards. You can have a game that's simplistic or unorthodox in terms of gameplay, ONLY if you have some aesthetic or narrative appeal that makes up for it.

One of the worst-executed examples of this was David Cage's "generation-defining work of art", the nefarious Heavy Rain. The game couldn't even be described as something in the league of a point-and-click game, because point-and-click games only require you to move the mouse about and explore areas or environments. Heavy Rain, on the other hand, makes ludicrous use of the buggy six-axis controls of the PS3, mostly for stupid quicktime events or day-to-day activities like brushing teeth and playing basketball. But that wasn't the problem with Heavy Rain, because gameplay wasn't its focus...instead, it relied on its narrative and characters as its main selling point, as if the story would be so incredible and jaw-dropping that it would render the rest of the game's simplistic and poorly-executed faults as irrelevant.

But the story just boiled down to quite possibly the most dull and lifeless excuses for main characters running amuck and making retarded decisions that even a 6-year-old would point as blatant and idiotic logic holes. Some of the choices the characters make in the heat of events are astoundingly stupid...which essentially ruined any or all chances for the audience to sympathize with such drooling retards. The story was predictable and bland, the romance was rushed and terribly-written in, and every twist or narrative speedbump the writers intended fell flat on how pitiably-stupid and obscenely 2-dimensional the characters were.

In short, it's not a matter if a game in this category is invigorating or varied in its gameplay tasks or mechanics...there doesn't even need to be gameplay at all. But you NEED to have a substantial story or something else to draw the player in, and make the game worth playing...

...otherwise, the game'll be just like Heavy Rain.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't have a problem with games that play or function outside of the normal industry standards. You can have a game that's simplistic or unorthodox in terms of gameplay, ONLY if you have some aesthetic or narrative appeal that makes up for it.

One of the worst-executed examples of this was David Cage's "generation-defining work of art", the nefarious Heavy Rain. The game couldn't even be described as something in the league of a point-and-click game, because point-and-click games only require you to move the mouse about and explore areas or environments. Heavy Rain, on the other hand, makes ludicrous use of the buggy six-axis controls of the PS3, mostly for stupid quicktime events or day-to-day activities like brushing teeth and playing basketball. But that wasn't the problem with Heavy Rain, because gameplay wasn't its focus...instead, it relied on its narrative and characters as its main selling point, as if the story would be so incredible and jaw-dropping that it would render the rest of the game's simplistic and poorly-executed faults as irrelevant.

But the story just boiled down to quite possibly the most dull and lifeless excuses for main characters running amuck and making retarded decisions that even a 6-year-old would point as blatant and idiotic logic holes. Some of the choices the characters make in the heat of events are astoundingly stupid...which essentially ruined any or all chances for the audience to sympathize with such drooling retards. The story was predictable and bland, the romance was rushed and terribly-written in, and every twist or narrative speedbump the writers intended fell flat on how pitiably-stupid and obscenely 2-dimensional the characters were.

In short, it's not a matter if a game in this category is invigorating or varied in its gameplay tasks or mechanics...there doesn't even need to be gameplay at all. But you NEED to have a substantial story or something else to draw the player in, and make the game worth playing...

...otherwise, the game'll be just like Heavy Rain.
Eh, I don't waste my breath talking about David Cage. He's actually just an awful writer who tries to make nothing but sh!tty Twilight Zone episodes. He's borderline the M. Night Shymalan of video games only well, he's not as bad as him but still terrible. How people adore his work is beyond me. I think they're just blinded by how it presents itself because Cage always presents his work like it's some work of art that goes beyond the the average video game storytelling.

If you want nice story driven games then turn to TellTale. They're at least you know, good.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I wouldn't really call that a genre, just a business practice that can be VERY bullsh!t when they try to take advantage of the concept.

Same goes with DLC, they are actually good ideas on paper but, you have companies and developers who ruin it all. To take advantage of gamers who have the wool pulled over their eyes with the words "Free to Play" bleeding everything they can out of them before they wise up. Unfortunately, so many gamers are that stupid because they will go to great lengths to defend a brand with their loyalties to multimillion dollar companies they don't give two sh!ts about them. Just their money you can give to them as fast as you can.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
With all of David Cage's faults, he isn't nearly as insufferable as Phil Fish.
Phil Fish just got a little heated when people p!ssed him off and maybe handled it all a little unprofessionally yes but, he kinda had a point sometimes. Microsoft really did try to d!ck him over big time and at least the guy can make a great game. Fez was really good.

David Cage is just a pretentious dumbass who can't write for sh!t and doesn't know what he's even talking about half the time. The two really don't compare. David Cage can't even make a good game.

WolfOD64

God forbid someone actually criticize the fanboys' lord and master Kojima once in a while...
Well, consider your wish granted, because I ****ing loathe Hideo Kojima. If anyone cares to observe the organism that embodies the textbook definition of talentless, egotistical hack, guess what? It walks around and wears glasses...and it produces some of the most lifeless, overrated, convoluted excuses for games known to man.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Phil Fish just got a little heated when people p!ssed him off and maybe handled it all a little unprofessionally yes but, he kinda had a point sometimes. Microsoft really did try to d!ck him over big time and at least the guy can make a great game. Fez was really good.

Just because he hade made one game that people give a **** about doesn't give him the right to response to somebody like "Compare your life to mine, then kill yourself". He is an asshole to almost everybody and throw silly tantrums in conventions. He cancelled Fez 2 and take away all the money along the way.

Seriously, i laugh out loud when he said at the Indie game: the move that he will kill himself if his game is not successful.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Just because he hade made one game that people give a **** about doesn't give him the right to response to somebody like "Compare your life to mine, then kill yourself". He is an asshole to almost everybody and throw silly tantrums in conventions. He cancelled Fez 2 and take away all the money along the way.

Seriously, i laugh out loud when he said at the Indie game: the move that he will kill himself if his game is not successful.
Didn't say he wasn't an asshole and stuff it's just, at least he has talent unlike David Cage. I don't let what he said stop me from enjoying his work.

If I thought that way then I'd also stop digging H.P. Lovecraft stories because he was a racist or I wouldn't enjoy Ender-Game because the author is the asshole homophobic mayor of d0uchetown. Seriously, I HATE that guy as a person but, I still enjoy the book.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, consider your wish granted, because I ****ing loathe Hideo Kojima. If anyone cares to observe the organism that embodies the textbook definition of talentless, egotistical hack, guess what? It walks around and wears glasses...and it produces some of the most lifeless, overrated, convoluted excuses for games known to man.
Well, if that's I you feel then that's how you feel. Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite gaming franchises and I love the crazy story elements and stuff. If it was normal, I wouldn't be in to it that much. But is Kojima perfect? No.

He could work on making his dialogue more like, you know, how actual human beings speak and he can cut back on the overabundance of cutscenes that especially can have needless BS.

I love Kojima but, he is the f@cking King of talking for hours and saying NOTHING.

WolfOD64

David Cage can't even make a good game.
Forget about making a good game. The guy can't even make what you can classify as a game. He can call it whatever he wants...the interactive scene-selection on a DVD has more merit as a game.
Well, if that's I you feel then that's how you feel. Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite gaming franchises and I love the crazy story elements and stuff. If it was normal, I wouldn't be in to it that much. But is Kojima perfect? No.

He could work on making his dialogue more like, you know, how actual human beings speak and he can cut back on the overabundance of cutscenes that especially can have needless BS.

I love Kojima but, he is the f@cking King of talking for hours and saying NOTHING.
Hey, if you enjoy the games he makes, good for you...in fact, I almost envy you for enjoying something that I couldn't. You said the franchise is one of your favorites, so it must've kindled a level of interest or intrigue to make you like it so much. That's a great feeling to have about any work of fiction, not just video games...it's a feeling I know well.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Forget about making a good game. The guy can't even make what you can classify as a game. He can call it whatever he wants...the interactive scene-selection on a DVD has more merit as a game.

Hey, if you enjoy the games he makes, good for you...in fact, I almost envy you for enjoying something that I couldn't. You said the franchise is one of your favorites, so it must've kindled a level of interest or intrigue to make you like it so much. That's a great feeling to have about any work of fiction, not just video games...it's a feeling I know well.
I can totally understand the distaste some people may have for Metal Gear though. It's one of those things where you either love it or hate it and I can see why on both fronts.

WolfOD64

I can totally understand the distaste some people may have for Metal Gear though. It's one of those things where you either love it or hate it and I can see why on both fronts.
Metal Gear---to me, at least---is a lot like anime, sardines, or really strong and bitter coffee. It's an acquired taste...one that you can only enjoy if you can get past or get used the strong flavor or outer layer of bitterness.

And try as I might, over the course of six games over the course of 9 years, I could never do that with Metal Gear. In fact, I'm pretty sure my repeated attempts to get into it only made me hate it more with each attempt.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
In fact, I'm pretty sure my repeated attempts to get into it only made me hate it more with each attempt.
Same here; I tried playing it the "right way" (but on easy mode 'cause the camera in both versions of MGS3 would still force an unnecessary challenge on the player) on MGS3 and I ended up on a rampage with the knife. The game went a lot faster after that. XD

Top Bottom