• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Pointless video game genres....

TyrantWayne9999

Golden Saint God of Overlords
I bring this up because well I feel that sports video games and visual novels are REALLY pointless? I don't have a problem with people that do like these genres but I wouldn't be caught dead buying games within these categories. These kind of games I feel should really just be stuck into compilations or something, like maybe all those EA sports games just put onto one disc (but if they did that, people would probably hate them less....maybe). What do y'all think?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well that one game "Gone home". I can understand indie games and such, but i find it quite strange that there is game where you don't need to do anything and you can end it in 1,3 mins.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Even though I'm warming up to Telltale and their games, I still think the Point & Click genre is a waste of time and potential, "click button, watch cutscene, repeat" is not good gameplay.

As for sports games, I do miss when they had diversity, with MX games like Freekstyle and car racing games like Burnout, Need For Speed Most Wanted/Carbon and even the Outlaw sports games, now everything is trying to be as realistic as possible with stuff like Forza and Gran Turismo. OMG that wind resistance, tire traction, suspension and downforce!!!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Even though I'm warming up to Telltale and their games, I still think the Point & Click genre is a waste of time and potential, "click button, watch cutscene, repeat" is not good gameplay.

As for sports games, I do miss when they had diversity, with MX games like Freekstyle and car racing games like Burnout, Need For Speed Most Wanted/Carbon and even the Outlaw sports games, now everything is trying to be as realistic as possible with stuff like Forza and Gran Turismo. OMG that wind resistance, tire traction, suspension and downforce!!!
I remember time where point'n'click actually was more puzzle-driven. Like Grim Fandango, where you actually had to think what to do in the game,

Meg

This seems like less of a "pointless video game genre" thread and more of a "genres I don't like/don't understand the appeal" thread.

As far as sports games go, the only sport I really like is baseball. (I also enjoy playing basketball, but since I don't follow any league or team, I don't consider myself a "fan.") That said, I really enjoy playing MLB The Show because I can get baseball year round. My dad gets crazy excited each year for the start of baseball season. But for me? Baseball season doesn't start or end. I get my favorite sport year round: whenever I want.

Cases can be made for why any of the genres named here aren't pointless.

Now as far as ACTUAL pointless game genres go: sleeping simulator. That would be pointless. :cautious:

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
Depends on your point of view. No genre is truly worthless. For example, I think sports games are pointless because you need to get out there and do it yourself. But people love them. I HATE platforming most of the time, but as a kid, I loved Mario and whatnot. It's purely opinions.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I kind of agree with the sports thing (unless its martial arts).

If you want to play sports, practice on your own outside or gather some friends if you can. Being able to control an entire team doesn't mean that the outcome in the game would happen in real life.

Martial arts-type games can bend (or completely disregard) these rules because you can never float in the air or do some of the overly acrobatic/parkour maneuvers in Sleeping Dogs or Arkham games without breaking something.

Seriously, if you want sports (with a ball) go outside or to an indoor stadium. Just stop pretending you've "gone pro" already, geez.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm not going to harp on FPS games because not even in laser tag can you do some of the cool stuff in Advanced Warfare (high jumps/wall crawling/super punches) or Red Steel 2.

Sorry... I'm just... ugh.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I kind of agree with the sports thing (unless its martial arts).

If you want to play sports, practice on your own outside or gather some friends if you can. Being able to control an entire team doesn't mean that the outcome in the game would happen in real life.

Martial arts-type games can bend (or break) the rules because you can never float in the air or do some of the overly acrobatic/parkour maneuvers in Sleeping Dogs or Arkham games without breaking something.

Seriously, if you want sports (with a ball) go outside or to an indoor stadium. Just stop pretending you've "gone pro" already, geez.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm not going to harp on FPS games because not even in laser tag can you do some of the cool stuff in Advanced Warfare (high jumps/wall crawling/super punches).

Sorry... I'm just... ugh.
Why should people have to stop pretending to be a part of the NFL just because we can go outside and play football? We play games for escapism and entertainment. You project yourselves on fantasy characters you create in like a RPG or something don't you?

Who are we to say those people can't do the same with their sports games creating themselves in a game and adding them to their favorite sports team?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
We play games for escapism and entertainment. You project yourselves on fantasy characters you create in like a RPG or something don't you?
Actually, we take it a step further.

We "Live Action Role Play" (LARPING) and cosplay all the time.

Games are merely a means to an end. If there was a way to do this in real life, we would've done it by now.

And look, we're getting even closer to that goal with the reality show "QUEST"; Whatever your feelings on Reality TV, you have to admit that this is a rather large leap forward on our end.

As for parkour and martial arts... well, I'm sure someone out there is developing safety "play armor" and integrating that idea into those "spring shoes".

We're almost there, Chancey. Once the game industry crashes due to its greed, we'll find a way to create our own fantasy worlds... on our own terms.

Why don't you get outside or go do something productive instead of sitting down hitting buttons in front of your television screen.
You're right -- and I would too; it's just that I just have some... personal issues. Saavy?

Look, most of these sports fans play football outside anyway. It's just that, they might as well do it all the time and create their own names for their own made-up "teams".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example, did you know that the coach of the Brazilian national soccer team blamed FIFA for Ronaldinho's poor performance back in 2009 or thereabouts?

That's what I was trying to get at.

Oh, and some people actually play real-life Quiddich too, despite the fact that we'll probably never be able to fly (in that way) in our lifetime.

Random Note: Jet Packs + Gliding (Wingsuit or otherwise) = Success.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Last edited:

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
You know, people can also say what's the point of video games?

Why don't you get outside or go do something productive instead of sitting down hitting buttons in front of your television screen.

See?
Fine, I'll just fight the hordes
of monsters that definitely do exist outside of my house with my ray gun and magic sword that are totally available to me.

Top Bottom