• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Open World or Linear Games?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Versus-Linear-vs-Open-World-Featured.jpg
So lately with the scum of the industry Electronic Arts shutting down Visceral Games and wanting to turn their Uncharted style Star Wars game into a Destiny clone there has been fear that the days of linear single player games are numbered and the future of gaming is filled with open worlds, micro-transactions and loot boxes.

Personally I'm happy that less linear story focused games are being made as they've ruined some franchises for me(Tomb Raider), they're not really worth the purchase and act more like interactive movies I can get for free on Youtube and I like open world games better as they offer way more bang for my buck and most of them actually require you to play them.

Now I do appreciate a good linear game in a certain sense, such as I'm looking forward to Wolfenstien The New Colossus, but I don't really see that game in the same kind of linearity as say Uncharted or the new Tomb Raiders.
Something like Uncharted/New Tomb Raider is so linear and full of scripted events and cutscenes that they barely classify as video games in my opinion.
Something like Wolfenstien TNO and TNC however is where the gameplay is the meat of the games and the story is the sweet reward and they are.....well "Linear, but not", given their open level design and what not while maintaining a linear story progression.

With Open world games though, I can play around in them for hundreds of hours and have loads of fun, never has a game immersed me into wondering around the beautiful world like The Witcher 3 has and I have not played any of the previous Metal Gear Solid games ever since The Phantom Pain came out.
Open World games just deliver so much more for gamer like me who prefers gameplay over story.
But I'll never support any full priced game that has any form of micro transactions or lootboxes.

Anyway that's my thoughts on the whole discussion of Single Player Open World or Linear games that showed up recently.

What are yours?

DDutchguy

DmC hype
While I do have a thing for open world games, there are several counterexamples as to why I like open world games:

- Open worlds allow for more world-building opportunities and can make it feel like you're actually in a different world (counterexamples: Mass Effect 1-3, Bioshock games).
- Exploration is a big part to open world games and gives you the feeling of being an actual adventurer.
- Linear games generally don't last as long as open world games do (even though plenty of linear games can give you a solid number of hours).
- You're given more freedom to do what you want in open world games and thus you get more opportunities for roleplaying in RPGs (Elder Scrolls and Fallout).

Even then though there's still the question of what games actually count as open world. Deus Ex Mankind Divided has a large hub area, but technically still comes down to just side quests and a main quest which would mean the game is a bit linear. Mass Effect 1 through 3 also do this, even though A lot of open world games also follow the formula of mostly being side quests or main quests, so does that mean it's not really an open world? I feel like often there's sort of a grey area.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Thinking about it, I've never really played an Open World game that really made me immersed in it.
That's partly because those games tend to not feel alive to me. It's just tons of markers on a map that you can mostly ignore since 50% are fetch quests or something of the like. To me it feels like they're trying to "look" big. But in the end it's not really much value because I can still finish the main quest in like 7 to 10 hours.

Personally I like the level based approach better, even if the levels are a bit more open here and there. That way I can select a level I like and play that one. That gives the game more replay value to me, being able to get back to the parts I enjoyed the most (like in DMC) or simply playing for one or two levels and then stopping because of time reasons.

In the end it's like always, open worlds are the big trend, corridor shooters where the trend last gen, so it'll pass.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Either one can have their advantages and disadvantages.

But more crucially, I think both can exist with people choosing to support games that suit their own tastes more.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Open world games have never been my thing. Sometimes they are too big and it's like "where do I go?" "What do I do?" Ego-Rapter once made the argument that Ocarina of Time holds your hand and guides you. I'm all for that. Lead me to the story so that I can see the ending, cry, and claim it's the best game ever. I want instant gratification. But where as Sonic Mania is linear and fun, Destiny 1 is complex and unplayable. So linear for me.

Meg

I actually just watched a great video about this very thing. I'll post it here for anyone interested:

For the past year or so, I've been pretty sick of open world games. As well as games that have really long stories like JRPs. I've been craving more linear games (as well as sports and racing game but never mind those for now). I understand that open worlds give you more bang for your buck (in a sense) but soooo many games are going the "more is better" route that I'm just getting really drained. I'm barely excited for AC Origins when I should be absolutely pumped as that's one of my favorite series. I'm not sure the exact reason for it either. Hmmm.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I enjoy both, I love open world games as they often keep me busy for years and are great value for money. However these days since having a baby I don't have the time for them as much. So I find that I will play short linear games simply to clear them out of my backlog. I mean I have finished 5 games from start to finish in the same amount of time that I've done 3/4 of The Witcher III.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
From an academic standpoint open world games would be better because they allow for more interactivity.

From a practical standpoint linear games would be better because they are less time consuming.

So it depends on your playstyle and habits.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Either or for me , as long as the game is good and has a compelling story with good gameplay i don't care if its linear or open or sandbox

IttechGyan

So it's been years since we had a topic like this esp. nowadays, most games are going open-world and linear games are getting a slow steady decline since the successful launch of GTA 4 and the first Assassin's Creed back in the day.

Top Bottom