• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Online Multiplayer

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
If a game's multiplayer doesn't take anything from the single player and vice versa, then I don't mind it. There really shouldn't be the sentiment that "so and so game should never have multiplayer, it'd never work" because there are a lot of games that I'd love to play with friends but don't get to. Bayonetta is a good example of a game that I'd love to be co-operative, or have a versus mode.

People say DMC shouldn't be multiplayer, but they put in a hidden multiplayer in DMC3 and that worked out rather nicely. If that had implemented a splitscreen to accompany that, that would've been amazing.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Adding multiplayer or co-op in great single player games is just a lack of ideas from the developers.
I know there's alot of gamers that wants everything co-op or multiplayer but i pay for the games myself so i shouldn't need a co-op partner to enjoy it.

Not in every case, for example games like Skyrim have such a huge open world that it would be perfect for a co-op experience if done right. Or at least having other players appear in your world you can bump into (not MMO style) with up to another 3 being able to drop in and drop out like Borderlands and go about their quests or join you on yours. Bethesda have said for years its been one of their most requested things by fans (mod makers are hard at work on it) and they would love to do it but just havent managed it yet. Games which give you the option of an AI companion should also give you the option to replace the AI with a real player id say. Would stop the problem of frustrating AI buddies in some games thats for sure.

Its normally an idea to expand the games modes rather than a lack of ideas. No-one wants a tacked on multiplayer that feels out of place but co-op done right can be the making of a game Left 4 Dead series/Borderlands & I thought Splinter Cell was better in co-op for example. Even Red Dead Redemption had some really good multiplayer modes but the multiplayer didnt have any effect on the quality of the single player and it was one of the best single player games id played for a long time. With a multiplayer that was even more advanced than the one we got it could have been a great experience, open worlds cry out for others to play with you and I dont like being 'tied' to other players in RPG's for example. Fable is an example of how to do co-op wrong, having an RPG like that and forcing people to stay close to each other is a huge no no. Everyone should be able to go about their business as if they were playing alone but be given the option to have friends in their game too in games that have these modes.

Assassins Creed is rumoured to have a 4 player mode coming in Assassins Creed 3 too and if done right that could be amazing too. Even Mass Effect 3 did multiplayer well, its not essential to play to get everything out of the game & its not exactly like the single player but you can play it with friends and it has an effect on the single player story. However you can also achieve the same result on your own so you arent pushed into playing it, its merely a choice they have given you. The single player hasnt been effected in any way with its inclusion so I dont mind it being there its just another choice of game mode to add to the games length. You shouldnt NEED to play multiplayer to get the most out of the game but given the choice of it and it being done well can add to the game.

That being said though I dont think games should be marked down for not having multiplayer and I dont think most games should have it. Just those games that would suit it.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I do agree if the co-op is done right & the game from the very start is co-op based with an option for co-op play is okay, like DarkSouls Demon's Souls or MMOs i wouldn't mind it. And I do agree about having an option for a human partner over a dumb Ai (YES RESIDENT EVIL5 I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU) But then again in resident evil5 my co-op ran through everything, no exploration no giving me a chance to get a feel for anything, nothing like that. It was all shoot everything & finish in less than an hour so to speak.
However games like Bayonetta DevilMayCry GodOfWar & other solid single player games i feel shouldn't include co-op or multiplayer because i'd rather the storyline revolve around that main character instead of a team or that character & partner. In games like that it just feels tacked on.
Day1 games that revolve around co-op & or multiplayer go for it, I would rarely use it if at all but i wouldn't mess with solid single player titles by adding MP either.
I think Hack and slash games should stick to the ranking system. So you can compare your scores online. Even a video recording of your best combos should be uploaded and others can download to either study how they did it or just be amazed at how bad ass they were.
I also thing area battles wouldn't be that bad with competitve or co op but in a split screen without the other player on the same stage. Just a way to see who is better side by side at kicking butt.

Top Bottom