• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

NowGamer - DmC Devil May Cry Interview: Ninja Theory, Capcom & Dante

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
I mean the following statement with the utmost respect:
It has nothing to do with Bayonetta.

Scoring system in Bayonetta (2009):
You do a move, and then a number comes up showing how much that move was worth alongside a small icon indicating the weapon you used.

Scoring system in DmC (2012):
You do a move or combo, and the name of the move or combo shows up. Next to the name is how many points the move/combo was worth this time. Above this is a new interpretation of Devil May Cry's Stylish meter, telling you how close you are to the next rating.

Scoring system in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1999):
You do a move, and the name of the move shows up. Next to it is how much the move was worth this time.

Honestly, am I the only one who sees a resemblance to Tony Hawk and SSX here?

Especially given that this game is meant to have the feel of a Western video game?

You most likely don't remember, but the type of the moves shows up in Bayonetta as well.
DmC just took the style system from Bayonetta, combined in with the one from the DMC franchise and improved both.

Oh, come on! Don't you ever play fighting games on Training Mode??? They tell you what moves you used AND they tell you what points you get for your combos. If anything, that new addition to the style system screams "Every Fighting Game Since 2000".

The names of the moves and the amount of points you get for your combos don't show up on Training Mode, at least not in the fighting games I play.

Dante47

I don't care if aspects from other games are taken. As long as it improves it. Skyrim ripped off tons of things from Monster Hunter, but improved them. I like the ranking in DmC far better than Bayonetta.

OniLink

Hero of Time
Don't you remember though, the original Head of Development on DMC1 also created Bayonetta, Hence the similarites. :ermm:

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
Well...it's still ridiculous to assume they took ideas from Bayonetta. The world of video games isn't the most innovative anymore, you know. A similarity between games can mean anything!

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well...it's still ridiculous to assume they took ideas from Bayonetta. The world of video games isn't the most innovative anymore, you know. A similarity between games can mean anything!
Well, yeah, It's Bayonetta. The interviewers didn't ask if they took anything from Tony Hawk Pro Skater, they asked about Bayonetta. When the fans wondered if they were using any other franchises for refrence and inspiration they didn't ask about fighting games, they asked about Bayonetta. Why? Because Bayonetta is DMC's sister and more than one element from Bayonetta has come up in DmC, not just the scoring system. There was the Limbo/Purgatory comparison, too, and one or two more that escape me but they're there.

Don't you remember though, the original Head of Development on DMC1 also created Bayonetta, Hence the similarites. :ermm:
Hideki Kamiya, yeah. He also made Viewtiful Joe (Which Featured an unlockable Dante), Okami (Which had a character with a sword named Pillow talk and said 'Let's Rock, Baby') And RE2, which was made right before DMC1.

Vezild

Well, yeah, It's Bayonetta. The interviewers didn't ask if they took anything from Tony Hawk Pro Skater, they asked about Bayonetta. When the fans wondered if they were using any other franchises for refrence and inspiration they didn't ask about fighting games, they asked about Bayonetta. Why? Because Bayonetta is DMC's sister and more than one element from Bayonetta has come up in DmC, not just the scoring system. There was the Limbo/Purgatory comparison, too, and one or two more that escape me but they're there.
But Tameem even denied any inspiration from Bayonetta.
Look, I think those similarities are too common to call more than just coincidence. Limbo/Purgatory...it's been done many times before in so many different ways and with so many different names. TWEWY, Penny Arcade, even Kingdom Hearts did it. Scoring system? Sounds like a logical step.
Bayonetta just so happened to come out first and with that system. Yes, it's DMC's "sister", but that says nothing to me. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing that they could've taken inspiration from Bayonetta, but I think it's misguided to say that it absolutely is.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, he denied it, doesn't mean it's true. That doesn't mean that he lied out of malicion ether, just that there are some things that you're provably better off dennying or keeping a secret.

somekidfromthe90's

It all goes back to "making DMC more appealing to Westerns." DMC1 through 4 did appeal to Westerns so again I'm confused.
well for one i was never THAT into the original DMC's i liked them, don't get me wrong, but i never got around to enjoying them to the extent that you have(bless your soul lol). And it was mainly due to the "Japanesey" dialogue and confusing cut scenes. For me a good game was one that also immersed the player in its story that it wanted to convey through any means. For DMC they hit the spot with game play but as for cut scenes and what not i thought "why is dante making sexual innuendos while he's throwing swords into a rock slab?" i;m sure in japan this would be cool and stuff but to someone who is not familiar with their mindset or comedic value they might just not get it and end up feeling awkward through it all.

Vezild

Yeah, he denied it, doesn't mean it's true. That doesn't mean that he lied out of malicion ether, just that there are some things that you're provably better off dennying or keeping a secret.
And that's where the mystery is and we make our own assumptions and opinions, eh? :lol: Ah, arguing over these things is like watching a dog try to bite its tail. Agree to disagree?

Hazel

Let's go to the park and feed the trolls
Ideas can come in many different shapes and sizes, and as an aspiring writer I know that. I think NT is doing the professional thing by saying what they did then by trying to analyze where their inspirations, conscious or unconscious, come from. the chances are a million to one that anyone will come up with something complete new in any branch of fiction. It's like trying to invent a new ingredient rather than a new cake recipe. No one can copyright a mechanic or a universal idea anyway. (Though some have tried--hint, Skyrim Minecraft mixup and now AC3).

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I was watching videos on a 360 dvd (the ones you get with magazines), and on the little 'pop-ups' it kept saying, "we would just like to point out, BAYONETTA EXISTS..."
I was thinking, "weren't you comparing Bayonetta to Devil May Cry a few years ago?"
What are they trying to say? So far this doesn't look as good as Bayonetta? Go out and get Bayonetta?
Got very boring on the third video.

Top Bottom