• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Not A Big Fan Of The Orb Designs

Goldsickle

The Orbs in this game looks very alien.
As in, it looks more like the head of an alien creature.

iH0sAbu.png

In past DMC titles, the Orbs looked like they were inspired by death masks, wax/plaster cast version of a person's face or head after their death.
ZUVIGt4.jpg

Dante Alighieri, the poet behind Divine Comedy, which serves as the inspiration behind Devil May Cry also had a death mask of his own made.
If Orbs in past DMC games were based on death masks, then it might have something to do with this.

While Orbs in other games were just the same screaming face, the Orbs in DMC3 had unique designs for each color:
nMv4aHe.jpg

51nSdxG.png

y08phR6.png

cbyG8F5.png

Also, the Orbs of DMC3 resembles even more like death masks than in any other game.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Weird, I never noticed that they had different faces, depending on the colour...

Now I feel like I have to boot up one of the games to be sure. :laugh:

Exejpgwmv

I like the original DMC1/2/4 Orbs the most. I miss those chubby faces.

Granted, I also like how the DmC orbs fly at you, instead of the old orbs listlessly bumbling their way too you :p
Been meaning to ask this for a while, are you still working on that DmC fanfic?

berto

I Saw the Devil

Actually, those might be the faces of some of the staff members. There is an image of one of the staff members doing the face on the orb in one of the DMC1's images from the Graphic Edition. The face overlaps kinda perfectly so it's obviously where they got it, with some exageration. Maybe they decided to continue with that tradition in 3.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Been meaning to ask this for a while, are you still working on that DmC fanfic?

Yush, put up Mission 6 a couple weeks ago.

Actually, those might be the faces of some of the staff members. There is an image of one of the staff members doing the face on the orb in one of the DMC1's images from the Graphic Edition. The face overlaps kinda perfectly so it's obviously where they got it, with some exageration. Maybe they decided to continue with that tradition in 3.

Now that you mention it, some of them do look like very Japanese faces. Especially the Purple Orb.

Goldsickle

I like the original DMC1/2/4 Orbs the most. I miss those chubby faces.

Granted, I also like how the DmC orbs fly at you, instead of the old orbs listlessly bumbling their way too you :p
It's easier to remember the chubby orbs since they are actually 3D in games they appeared.
In the first DMC, I remember one large, hidden Red Orb that will continue facing you no matter where you move.
Probably the most creepiest pick-up item in a game.

Imagine if the 1up items in Mega Man were to stare at him.
No wonder the more recent Mega Man games have the 1up represented as empty helmets.
A floating head would be too creepy in improved graphics.

The Orbs in DMC4 also flies right at you if you have the necessary upgrade.
But in DmC, it happens by default.

I don't recall any Red Orbs that are laid out in stages like in previous games in DmC.
Maybe by not putting any Red Orbs on the field, it saves up on RAM and processing power?

Exejpgwmv

This thread just gave me the best nightmare I've had in all my life (next to the first one of course).

Last edited:

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
Yeah seriously. Especially as Vergil when I'm Tricking around like a lunatic and end up with orbs on the other side of the screen just sitting there lol.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
My only problem with the rebooted Orbs is that they need to book that plastic surgeon for Rhinoplasty

But I would like a word with my fellow skeptics, are we stooping so low as to nitpick at the appearance of the currency? Especially when we've already made our case that we don't feel the game reaches the standards of the original.
Guys, the games been out for a year, we've all said our opinions, and at this point, we all just need to sit back and see if our criticism is taken into account for the next game in the franchise, be it reboot or original

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
My only problem with the rebooted Orbs is that they need to book that plastic surgeon for Rhinoplasty

But I would like a word with my fellow skeptics, are we stooping so low as to nitpick at the appearance of the currency? Especially when we've already made our case that we don't feel the game reaches the standards of the original.
Guys, the games been out for a year, we've all said our opinions, and at this point, we all just need to sit back and see if our criticism is taken into account for the next game in the franchise, be it reboot or original

'Tis a good point; though if I had to guess, Goldsickle made this thread for a lack of anything else to talk about, rather than to nitpick. :p

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
It was composed of cults, drug addiction, cannibalism, and hints of necrophilia.

^^; If this was your best nightmare, I'd hate to know what your worst consists of, lol. Hopefully you weren't the victim of said things...or the mastermind behind them, either. XD

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't recall any Red Orbs that are laid out in stages like in previous games in DmC.
Maybe by not putting any Red Orbs on the field, it saves up on RAM and processing power?

Most orb deposits where in the form of either objects like trashcans, mopeds, or lamps, or their in the Lost Souls.

I do miss the random lines of orbs to sorta "light your way" as it were, but that's simply nostalgia because of games like Mario, where you feel like progress is made on your character even when just walking forward :p

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Yeah, I don't get DmC's angle with the orb design either. The old ones, especially the purple one, were sort of creepy, and they could be demons or humans. This new design really does look like some kind of alien, which I don't understand, since DmC has nothing to do with that. Or maybe it's some kind of demon, but they haven't shown us any demons that look like that.

Last edited:

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
It's easier to remember the chubby orbs since they are actually 3D in games they appeared.
I'd guess it was more of a design decision for convenience as opposed to technical budgets. TWOxACROSS brought up a point for nostalgias sake that I agree with, but I'd still prefer the convenience; as opposed to drop-kicking an a enemy to the other side of the map, then having to dash like mad in hopes that the orbs don't disappear. Especially now that there are environmental hazards that may block orbs from players reach.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
To be honest, I am no longer digging the orb system. It's been 5 games, I was hoping if they were going to change anything it'd be the orbs. They were great in the first 3 games but something about the way they were in 4 just kinda killed it for me, they seemed so much less interesting, and little 'm' didn't really do much to change my opinion. It's weird to have any opinion on something as trivial as the currency but I think they should think up some new stuff for the next instalment.

Top Bottom