• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory talks overhauls and backlash

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Maybe Japanese ladies find him attractive for obvious reasons they find this guy attractive.

136769.jpg

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
I find the bit about Japanese women thinking this Dante is attractive kind of bizarre. Not that I doubt it may be true, I just can't agree. Dude looks good at some moments (close ups in the Vergil debut trailer, for example) and deeply weird at others (that grin, oh my god), whereas the original Dante was more uniformly pretty. I expected super-biseinen OG Dante to keep the fangirls...I mean, he spent a lot of the third game half-naked. But I guess those skinny jeans are a formidable challenge?

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I find the bit about Japanese women thinking this Dante is attractive kind of bizarre. Not that I doubt it may be true, I just can't agree. Dude looks good at some moments (close ups in the Vergil debut trailer, for example) and deeply weird at others (that grin, oh my god), whereas the original Dante was more uniformly pretty. I expected super-biseinen OG Dante to keep the fangirls...I mean, he spent a lot of the third game half-naked. But I guess those skinny jeans are a formidable challenge?
It could be that Japanese women are burned out since most male characters out there look like pretty boys. DMC Dante is just a generic hero character in the East just like how DmC Dante is just a generic loudmouthed jerk in the West so perhaps the change in appearance garnered more attention from the female fan base in the East.

Noel

It could be that Japanese women are burned out since most male characters out there look like pretty boys. DMC Dante is just a generic hero character in the East just like how DmC Dante is just a generic loudmouthed jerk in the West so perhaps the change in appearance garnered more attention from the female fan base in the East.

whats you example of non-generic character from the west in games?

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
It could be that Japanese women are burned out since most male characters out there look like pretty boys. DMC Dante is just a generic hero character in the East just like how DmC Dante is just a generic loudmouthed jerk in the West.

Oh, that's a good point. What's a novelty over here isn't the same over there. I consider pretty guys a pleasant change in a Western market usually full of bald, bulky, lantern-jawed douchebags that you don't see much of among Japanese protagonists. So I guess I should just be happy they didn't shave Dante's head and give him a goatee.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
whats you example of non-generic character from the west in games?
To be honest, just about every type of character has been played out. Most big companies, if not all, prefer to create games that take itself seriously. I like the characters in the Ratchet and Clank, Sly Copper, and Jak games because the characters in them are charming and likeable and they don't take themselves too seriously. Some people might call those characters too 'cartoony' and the like but I believe that each of them has much more personality than 10 army dudes put together.

Noel

s
To be honest, just about every type of character has been played out. Most big companies, if not all, prefer to create games that take itself seriously. I like the characters in the Ratchet and Clank, Sly Copper, and Jak games because the characters in them are charming and likeable and they don't take themselves too seriously. Some people might call those characters too 'cartoony' and the like but I believe that each of them has much more personality than 10 army dudes put together.

Agree. those kinds of character are like a dying breed in video games.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Dante actually used to be one of them, oddly enough.
The DMC timeline goes like this. DMC3 > DMC >DMC4 > DMC2 so logically speaking, Dante WAS a flamboyant-one-liner-slinging character and is currently a quiet and brooding character and this was before DmC was introduced. :troll:

I don't hate the old Dante and I'm just joking by the way but I believe my logic is sound.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
HO HO HO my mistake this year i'll definitely make it up to you :)
Hey Santa can I have DmC for Christmas? :troll: btw you should watch this movie:

As for the topic: I think it's actually surprising to hear that Japanese people like DmC because GTA,COD, and basically any big western game has done poorly in the land of the rising sun, dunny why really? :O

berto

I Saw the Devil
Did Agility get permabanned?
Aren't there ways around that? Unless you ban their IP address can't you just make as many accounts as you want on different units/computers/devices, right?

I've never gotten banned here but I've gotten banned in other places and it's not that hard to work around it when it's just the user name been banned.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I was just wondering why Suzaku called him Agility.
Because he thinks he's Agility, which there is no real prof of, they could just be two different people behaving alike. I don't really think Agility was what you might call 'unique,' the internet is littered with individuals just like him.

Top Bottom