• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory replies to a Tweet concerning DmC sequel

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Tis' a shame. I would have loved to see DmC continue as much as DMC 5. At this point, I just want something. All eyes on you, Capcom.
...but I don't see why you'd want a sequel to a game that was expected to do well, but turned out only decent.
Personally, yes. I thought it's gameplay wasn't near 3 & 4's refinement, but, considering this was developed by a team that prioritizes narrative over gameplay, it was a damn good first attempt and they made a solid gameplay "platform." With a sequel, being aware of their previous mistakes/short comings, that "platform" can now grow and be refined. (Possibly up to the upper echelons of the genre that the previous games paved.)

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Tis' a shame. I would have loved to see DmC continue as much as DMC 5. At this point, I just want something. All eyes on you, Capcom.

Personally, yes. I thought it's gameplay wasn't near 3 & 4's refinement, but, considering this was developed by a team that prioritizes narrative over gameplay, it was a damn good first attempt and they made a solid gameplay "platform." With a sequel, being aware of their previous mistakes/short comings, that "platform" can now grow and be refined. (Possibly up to the upper echelons of the genre that the previous games paved.)

Well, usually developers don't get better at what they do... at least, not in general. Rather, in the case of sequels, they just make fewer mistakes in one area, and more mistakes in another. Kind of seems that way with Dark Souls 2, at the moment. I'm guessing that's what would happen with DmC2, as well. Hence the reason why I think DmC2 would be mediocre like DmC. But hey, you never know.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, usually developers don't get better at what they do... at least, not in general. Rather, in the case of sequels, they just make fewer mistakes in one area, and more mistakes in another. I'm guessing that's what would happen with DmC2, as well. But hey, you never know.
I have to disagree with that one. A competent studio can change for the better. A example would be Double Helix; after a underwhelming line-up of games, they cracked out a bitching Killer Instinct and Strider title recently.

And with a industry where staffs are constantly shifting from project/team to project/team, a constant level (for better or worse) is no longer a guarantee.

Well, guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Good day. :cool:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Goodbye and good riddance Donte and Ninja Theory :)

Lets punch a jukebox and eat pizza to celebrate!

Do you see a DMC5 announced?

Well, usually developers don't get better at what they do... at least, not in general. Rather, in the case of sequels, they just make fewer mistakes in one area, and more mistakes in another. Kind of seems that way with Dark Souls 2, at the moment. I'm guessing that's what would happen with DmC2, as well. Hence the reason why I think DmC2 would be mediocre like DmC. But hey, you never know.

Not true. There are plenty of games that surpass their predecessor. Just because NT made ONE DmC game doesn't mean they'll get worse, it just means people's expectations will be higher/lower for their next game, and you just didn't like DmC's direction.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel

Not true. There are plenty of games that surpass their predecessor. Just because NT made ONE DmC game doesn't mean they'll get worse, it just means people's expectations will be higher/lower for their next game, and you just didn't like DmC's direction.

Sigh... not this again. Look, I swear I believe this wholeheartedly. Most games I've played in a series (or otherwise) haven't gotten better than the first game in terms of quality. Of course, there are exceptions, but most of the time, when a developer gives it his all with the first game, there's no way the second game will be any better. The same (usually) goes for movies. Unless of course they gain inspiration or valuable information that they can use in the development of the next game/movie. I never said that DmC2 would never be better than DmC, I'm just saying I have my doubts, like with all games.

Last edited:

Dante47

It seems the Devil May Cry series is having an identity crisis.
Prematurely rebooting your franchise can do that, but now it's decision time, Capcom. Do you drop trow and return to the old series of games that everyone loved, or do you try and improve on a greatly flawed (but still fun) new series you still bear responsibility for? Decisions, decisions...

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I see a DmC2 not announced and Ninja Theory not working on it and that's good enough. That means Capcom has likely ditched the DmC in 2015 thing.

Prematurely rebooting your franchise can do that, but now it's decision time, Capcom. Do you drop trow and return to the old series of games that everyone loved, or do you try and improve on a greatly flawed (but still fun) new series you still bear responsibility for? Decisions, decisions...
Don't really think it's having an identity crisis, it's still a hack n slash, DMC is more or less back in the same rut DMC2 put it in. Tomb Raider is the reboot with an identity crisis.
If Capcom wants to make money they'll go with DMC5, but I can't help but wonder how they'll handle the Dino Crisis reboot, maybe fans should get together and convince Shinji Mikami to prepare a replacement for Dino Crisis just like how The Evil Within is going to replace Resident Evil lol.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Sigh... not this again. Look, I swear I believe this wholeheartedly. Most games I've played in a series (or otherwise) haven't gotten better than the first game in terms of quality. Of course, there are exceptions, but most of the time, when a developer gives it his all with the first game, there's no way the second game will be any better. The same (usually) goes for movies. Unless of course they gain inspiration or valuable information that they can use in the development of the next game/movie. I never said that DmC2 would never be better than DmC, I'm just saying I have my doubts, like with all games.

Again, that's not technically true. I mean look at InFAMOUS 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Prototype 2, Hell even DMC3 was successful despite DMC1. (Then again they had different writers and developers so...) And there are a few movies.

Blade 2
Shrek 2
Kung Fu Panda 2

(sadly that's all I got. :frown:)

Capcom likes money. Go where the money lies for the taking.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Again, that's not technically true. I mean look at InFAMOUS 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Prototype 2, Hell even DMC3 was successful despite DMC1. (Then again they had different writers and developers so...) And there are a few movies.

Blade 2
Shrek 2
Kung Fu Panda 2

(sadly that's all I got. :frown:)

Capcom likes money. Go where the money lies for the taking.

Yeah, I agree. It just seems to me like *most*, not all, games and movies don't get better than the first installment. But maybe that's my personal view.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You know, if not now, then eventually something will come up.

People say all the time that there will be no more Mega Man but, Azure Gunvolt and Mighty No. 9 are going to come out soon. That counts... a little.

Megaman will eventually come back. He's making an appearance on the latest Smash Bros. game, so that should give fans at least a sliver of hope.

While NT may never again make a DmC game or a HS sequel, they will more than likely have their hands full with the HS movie itself.

Exposure helps. Even if only by a miniscule amount.

HS will come back.

MM will come back.

DmC will come back.

Old DMC will come back.

Shenmue will come back (yes, the copyright for that game expired, but maybe this will mean that mini-flash Shenmue games will be made -- who knows?)

Now, you could argue that such "cult classics" out there will never come back, but that's where the fans come in to make a new ip inspired by their favorite games.

------------------------------------------------------------------

For example, Q-bert would probably have never seen the light of day again had it not been for Catherine (and by extension, the Rapunzel mini-game).

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wait, have faith, and invest in a kickstarter you're interested in.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
tumblr_n2l8rfg75s1t86mamo1_500.jpg

I guess that means that the next Devil May Cry game won't be DmC then.
Welp, goodbye cooler edgier badass Dante.
Hello again, Flamboyantly unfunny douchebag AKA old Dante.
tumblr_inline_mkwh9qCswk1qz4rgp.gif

Oh well, I still have Constantine and Hellblazer...mostly Hellblazer.

Dude, don't you think you're jumping the gun? ^^; They said "not right now", not "not ever".

(That was a lot of nots...)

The game you want may very well come out; give it time. :)

Meanwhile, I'mma just going to cry in the corner over the DMC5 I'll never see....

Also....STAHP MAKIN' FUN OF MEH DANTEH!!! *Rage face*

Kidding, kidding...no, but seriously, play nice. ;)

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
To be honest this statement isn't setting anything in stone, whatsoever. And I seriously doubt that Capcom would EVER ditch a new series that actually did well.

If anything I'd much rather see a DmC2, though a DMC5 probably won't happen...I still wouldn't mind seeing one either.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm cool with NT not doing a DmC2 right now since I rather see them go doing a new IP. It's a fresh start with new opportunities and a chance to get the controversy stink off. Which could help a potential DmC2/heavenly sword 2 if they choose to return ;)

Initially I wanted a DmC2 over DMC5 because watching Young Dante try to learn about heroism is more interesting than watch Old Dante become irrelevant and replaceable in his own franchise. But then again that problem happens in many franchises and I was disappointed with DmC so I wouldn't mind seeing a DMC5.

Right now DMC5 is more likely since there is more dev teams at capcom that can do it and I rather keep DmC western so Capcom Vancouver (dead rising) or double helix could be step to the plate.

In terms of writing talent, Capcom has ties to Marvel and DC bought the rights to do a DMC comic a few years back so maybe approaching their talent could yield fruit. Dark horse comics and IDW does video game adaptations, a lot of STreet Fighter fans love the adaptations done by UDON comics etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of manga-ka and anime writers that could be tapped. The guy who wrote Tekken Blood vengeance also did cowboy bebop and Shiro Miwa who does Dogs Bullets and Carnage did the art for the first DMC novel.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
At first I was disappointed with DmC, but since SamD explained how it improved on the HnS formula, I've now completely crossed over to the new series and haven't looked back.

Unless, you know, they make a DMC5.

Top Bottom