• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Next Weapon return *Spoiler *

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
No, but he is supposed to be stylish and when you look like you're just plain good vs when you look like you are quite adept I'd pick the more skilled one to come off as stylish.
Imagine, for example, that we were talking about a different skill, like riding a bike. Would he really come off that stylishly if rode around looking like he's still learning than if he was pulling off tricks? This is an exaggeration, of course, since he is obviously an experienced martial artist. Those moves are not as easy to pull off as he's making it seem, even if he's not doing it as smoothly as those they are mimicking.
That's pretty relative since he looks plenty stylish to me, based on the fact that no one uses nunchucks in such a flashy way like that in real life. That in itself is stylish for anyone who's never seen or played Devil May Cry. His skills seem to stem from a self-taught method that he probably saw in old martial arts movies. He watches them, then copies their moves. Most likely not all of them were stylish looking but it's what he learned.

That's only relative to the story, not the animation.

I think people are missing my point and focusing on some deeper truths to excuse this when it doesn't have to be defended. Clearly the weapon is meant to call back to Hong Kong martial arts movies with some specific references to Bruce Lee, who was famous for his skills with the nunchuck but was also known to be adept with both the bo staff and the chain. My point was why make it look so rigid when the source material would look so much better? Same with the capoeira. I know that they're did this to make his movements look realistic but in doing so, in taking this approach, the martial art styles they're showcasing loose part of what makes them worth showcasing. It's not not like it's a deal breaker, but it is a shame.
Two reasons from what I can assume;

1.) Dante is a jack of all trades, master of none. He picks up skills but isn't a master at any of them. He just makes himself look cool enough to excuse that.

2.) He's old. He doesn't move as flowingly as he use to at, like, his early to mid 40's or so. And since they want to be more realistic, they want his movements to reflect his age I guess.

berto

I Saw the Devil
His skills seem to stem from a self-taught method that he probably saw in old martial arts movies. He watches them, then copies their moves.
Why does everyone think that he learned to fight from watching movies? That is easily the most childish way for anyone to learn to fight, much less a mercenary turned devil hunter who doesn't own a television or has ever even been seen watching one (If I remember right, the one he owns was busted and he never bothered to fix it because he didn't care till Patty wanted to watch a soap opera). It's silly and really diminishes any prospect of being a badass to being such a nerd he thinks he can learn proper fighting from watching movies. I wouldn't even associate that trait with Nero. Is it really so hard to believe that he learned from his father? Because that would also imply that Vergil learned to fight from watching movies and going to mall dojos and if that's true, even for just one of them, that would just remove any semblance of anything being remotely epic about any of their fights.

2.) He's old. He doesn't move as flowingly as he use to at, like, his early to mid 40's or so. And since they want to be more realistic, they want his movements to reflect his age I guess.
I think he's in his mid to late 30's but, either way, Dante is older but he's not old. Besides, Jet Li made Kiss of the Dragon, Danny the Dog, Hero, Fearless and other movies around that age. Sylvester Stallone was 35 when he made Rocky 4. Keanu Reeves made John Wick in his 50s. Jackie Chan is still going strong and he was in his 40's 20 years ago.

He looks perfectly good to me, I don't see what's being referred to.
He looks fine. He looks great, in fact. All I said was that he looks a bit stiff here and there and I wish they'd make him look a bit more fluid and straighten up a leg here and there, that those particular martial arts are about grace, so it looks a little off in one or two places and that opened up some kind of flood gate because we went from him looking all kinds of badass to lowering into some idiot who trains by watching movies.

Last edited:

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Why does everyone think that he learned to fight from watching movies? That is easily the most childish way for anyone to learn to fight, much less a mercenary turned devil hunter who doesn't own a television or has ever even been seen watching one (If I remember right, the one he owns was busted and he never bothered to fix it because he didn't care till Patty wanted to watch a soap opera). It's silly and really diminishes any prospect of being a badass to being such a nerd he thinks he can learn proper fighting from watching movies. I wouldn't even associate that trait with Nero. Is it really so hard to believe that he learned from his father? Because that would also imply that Vergil learned to fight from watching movies and going to mall dojos and if that's true, even for just one of them, that would just remove any semblance of anything being remotely epic about any of their fights.

I think he's in his mid to late 30's but, either way, Dante is older but he's not old. Besides, Jet Li made Kiss of the Dragon, Danny the Dog, Hero, Fearless and other movies around that age. Sylvester Stallone was 35 when he made Rocky 4. Keanu Reeves made John Wick in his 50s. Jackie Chan is still going strong and he was in his 40's 20 years ago.

He looks fine. He looks great, in fact. All I said was that he looks a bit stiff here and there and I wish they'd make him look a bit more fluid and straighten up a leg here and there, that those particular martial arts are about grace, so it looks a little off in one or two places and that opened up some kind of flood gate because we went from him looking all kinds of badass to lowering into some idiot who trains by watching movies.
In DMC3 he's shown being childish, and if he remembered his father's teachings then that would imply he knows more about his father than he's said he had. He would certainly be closer to his father if he was giving them classes personally and whatnot. And there's also all the references to real fighters like Bruce Lee in the games. It's never stated if Dante himself invented techniques like the one inch punch or if he just saw it on TV. Because if he didn't invent it then I doubt Bruce Lee was around 2000 years ago for spares to know it and teach it to them.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Why does everyone think that he learned to fight from watching movies? That is easily the most childish way for anyone to learn to fight, much less a mercenary turned devil hunter who doesn't own a television or has ever even been seen watching one (If I remember right, the one he owns was busted and he never bothered to fix it because he didn't care till Patty wanted to watch a soap opera). It's silly and really diminishes any prospect of being a badass to being such a nerd he thinks he can learn proper fighting from watching movies. I wouldn't even associate that trait with Nero. Is it really so hard to believe that he learned from his father? Because that would also imply that Vergil learned to fight from watching movies and going to mall dojos and if that's true, even for just one of them, that would just remove any semblance of anything being remotely epic about any of their fights..
I think your arguments could be basically simplified to "The weapon animations of dante lack any kind of grace or finesse" which is fine but then again, you have to remember that he is self-taught. It doesn't matter if he watched movies or not, he's just using them in a way he can. However, it is very likely that Vergil took his time to formally learn how to master his Katana, same goes for Nero. He uses Order's sword after all, they probably gave him some training.

Also, wasn't it implied that Dante never really got to know his father? When Eva died Dante was like what, 10? and Sparda was already dead/missing by that time.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
WHy would that diminish him? He's a poor ass demon hunter in a dingy old office. It would actually be pretty damn cool that he's THAT good that he can memorize martial arts moves just from watching movies. And Dante being a nerd can't be as bad as him enjoying strawberry sundaes.

All of them master their martial arts on a daily basis for film. They're paid to look good. Dante isn't. Now your adding realism to a game with demon hunting and magic.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Tbh i never thought Dante or Vergil knew Sparda that well. I figured he left when they were kids and never returned. That was my headcanon for Dante's line in DMC3.

He hated his dad for abandoning them (percieved).

I figured Dante did have a mentor(s) teaching him some of what he knows.

berto

I Saw the Devil
In DMC3 he's shown being childish,
Yeah, in 3, when he was young. I don't remember him going on about parties at any time in 1.

if he remembered his father's teachings then that would imply he knows more about his father than he's said he had. He would certainly be closer to his father if he was giving them classes personally and whatnot
Yeah? How is that somehow wrong? The only time Dante gets all angsty about his father is in 3. There are no other instances of angry at my dad moments. In fact, Dante reveres his father, otherwise swearing upon his name wouldn't be very striking and pretty meaningless. Just because Dante didn't know his father passed a certain age doesn't mean he didn't interact with him, just that he didn't get to know him very well.

And there's also all the references to real fighters like Bruce Lee in the games. It's never stated if Dante himself invented techniques like the one inch punch or if he just saw it on TV. Because if he didn't invent it then I doubt Bruce Lee was around 2000 years ago for spares to know it and teach it to them.
Bruce Lee isn't just famous for making movies. He was a real figure in the martial arts world who influenced a great deal if what we know as modern martial arts. Any and every fighter across the glove knows who he is.

Also, I don't recall him ever using the one inch punch on film. I don't remember ever seeing it in Enter the Dragon, Fist of Fury or Game of Death. It was a famous move of his because he demonstrated it in a San Francisco martial arts conference in the 70's.

"The weapon animations of dante lack any kind of grace or finesse"
I never said that. In fact, I clarified, repeatedly, that I only meant it happened in one or two instances and suddenly everyone is making it sound like I'm sayin he's fumbling all over himself. That he could be a little more graceful, you know, for the sake of presentation, and everyone seems to be interpreting it as "lacking any and all grace and fitness."

It doesn't matter if he watched movies or not
Doesn't it? It's the equivalent of Lara Croft learning archeology from watching Indiana Jones movies. No different. Being self thought doesn't mean you learned from watching movies. Reading books, watching real fights and practices, getting into real fights is how you self teach. Study and practice, not from watching movies. At best, that would be just the beginning, not the one stop for all.

WHy would that diminish him?
Because it'd be no different than Lara Croft learning archeology from watching Indiana Jones movies. Tell me that doesn't just sound uterly and incredibly unimpressive.

All of them master their martial arts on a daily basis for film.
And Dante was a mercenary before he went in to demon hunting so from one profession to the next he's been fighting pretty consistently all of his life.

They're paid to look good. Dante isn't.
That's because he's fictional, which only make the option of making him look good very possible and even encouraged. Well, at least that's what I thought. Since he apparently learned to fight from watching movies on his non existent television he should look the part. Silly me.

Now your adding realism to a game with demon hunting and magic.
Because I said that there are plenty of real world people way older than him who can still do badass things? He's digital. If they still can there is no reason why he can't.

Anyway, consider this matter dropped. I'm tired of this debate. All I said was that if they'd change one or two things in the animation it would look more graceful and, thus, more impressive like the subject matter they're mimicking, that's all, nothing else, and that apparently meant that I said he was completely without grace and that turned into some really left field discussion of how so many people think got his skills in the most auterly unimpressive way possible. Rarely do I wish I'd kept my mouth shut but, believe you me, I sure as hell wish I had, this time.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Yeah, in 3, when he was young. I don't remember him going on about parties at any time in 1.

Yeah? How is that somehow wrong? The only time Dante gets all angsty about his father is in 3. There are no other instances of angry at my dad moments. In fact, Dante reveres his father, otherwise swearing upon his name wouldn't be very striking and pretty meaningless. Just because Dante didn't know his father passed a certain age doesn't mean he didn't interact with him, just that he didn't get to know him very well.

Bruce Lee isn't just famous for making movies. He was a real figure in the martial arts world who influenced a great deal if what we know as modern martial arts. Any and every fighter across the glove knows who he is.

Also, I don't recall him ever using the one inch punch on film. I don't remember ever seeing it in Enter the Dragon, Fist of Fury or Game of Death. It was a famous move of his because he demonstrated it in a San Francisco martial arts conference in the 70's.

I never said that. In fact, I clarified, repeatedly, that I only meant it happened in one or two instances and suddenly everyone is making it sound like I'm sayin he's fumbling all over himself. That he could be a little more graceful, you know, for the sake of presentation, and everyone seems to be interpreting it as "lacking any and all grace and fitness."

Doesn't it? It's the equivalent of Lara Croft learning archeology from watching Indiana Jones movies. No different. Being self thought doesn't mean you learned from watching movies. Reading books, watching real fights and practices, getting into real fights is how you self teach. Study and practice, not from watching movies. At best, that would be just the beginning, not the one stop for all.

Because it'd be no different than Lara Croft learning archeology from watching Indiana Jones movies. Tell me that doesn't just sound uterly and incredibly unimpressive.

And Dante was a mercenary before he went in to demon hunting so from one profession to the next he's been fighting pretty consistently all of his life.

That's because he's fictional, which only make the option of making him look good very possible and even encouraged. Well, at least that's what I thought. Since he apparently learned to fight from watching movies on his non existent television he should look the part. Silly me.

Because I said that there are plenty of real world people way older than him who can still do badass things? He's digital. If they still can there is no reason why he can't.

Anyway, consider this matter dropped. I'm tired of this debate. All I said was that if they'd change one or two things in the animation it would look more graceful and, thus, more impressive like the subject matter they're mimicking, that's all, nothing else, and that apparently meant that I said he was completely without grace and that turned into some really left field discussion of how so many people think got his skills in the most auterly unimpressive way possible. Rarely do I wish I'd kept my mouth shut but, believe you me, I sure as hell wish I had, this time.
My point about the one inch punch was that his dad certainly didn't teach him that. And the reason I'm mentioning 3 so much is because that is pretty much our origin story for dante or the closest thing we have to one. And no evidence points to dante having personally known his father. Everytime he mentions him it is in a way that points to him only having heard stories. In DMC4 he says there's alot of confusion surrounding the guy when Trish asks him how much he knows about him. Not only that but in every glimpse to his past we've been given it always paints Eva as the soul parent/guardian in the picture. In DMC3 you Vergil is actively trying to find out more about sparda. That's not the kind of thing you do if you lived with a person and had a close enough relationship to train on multiple occasions. Also do you think sparda would've been able to train them in so many weapons and for them to still have a distant attitude towards the father they apparently spent so much time training with? And for them to still act ad though they don't have a personal relationship with him? I've read a lot of your post and correct me if im wrong but you prefer hideki kamiya's dante over itsuno's over the top one. But the thing is thats the kind of guy dante is now. I could totally see him watching a Bruce Lee movie and popping out Cerberus and doing some awesome Bruce Lee moves. It's less "oh imma be cool like the guy I saw on TV" and more "that looks like fun, but I can do it better" dante loves what he does and loves to have fun and look stylish while doing it. So if he picked up a few moves from a movie what's the harm? He's never been depicted as a strict and disciplined fighter who trains like ryu or something, that I can understand because fighting is his life ad passion but for dante it's just fun, he goofs around and makes jokes, and I don't see any other way he can know so many video game and movie fighting moves unless you wanna say he just invented them all.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I hate you so much right now (you ninja'd me).
Move fast baby don't be slooooooowww
tumblr_lom7qcez6t1qeo7cdo1_500.gif

Top Bottom