• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New vs. Old

sparda the king

The Darkslayer
There has probably already been one of these but I can't find it. Out of all my friends I seem to be the only one who is really ****ed off about the re make. I believe it's a good game but it will never replace the real Devil May Cry series. I wish to know your opinions on this subject. Which do you think if better and why?

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Neither. Both failed my expectations. DMC was just a ranchy, campy anime fest with no substance and just action. DmC was just a drama filled against the government angsty teen story that didn't need to be. but if you ask for which I prefer more, I'd probably lean more to DmC since it actually tried to give DMC an actual good story.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
the original was better in every way better story better character depth better gameplay more fun however the reboot is pretty good but it still falls behind dmc3 and dmc4 imo

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
the original was better in every way better story better character depth better gameplay more fun however the reboot is pretty good but it still falls behind dmc3 and dmc4 imo

the old series had 3 more games to explain everything...

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i would say DmC laid the ground work for a pretty good series that will probably never happen. DMC1 and 2 were great in my opinion, because they were original. DMC3 and 4 borrowed heavily and i dare to say ripped off themes from other anime. and before anyone says that DmC ripped off from "they live", i have to say thats not tru because the whole idea behind "they live" has been around for decades. but long story short, half of the original series and DmC are tied for me

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
its down to individual opinion man if they made 3 sequels to the reboot id still prefer the original the new dante and vergil aint as badass sparda is a wuss mundus wasnt powerful etc the only thing new dmc had goin for it was the environments and the combat but as i said its all opinion but i reckon original fans will drastically outnumber reboot fans but i dnt take away from the new dmc it was a very good game the story and characters let it down for me but it has potential if they make a sequel

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
There has probably already been one of these but I can't find it. Out of all my friends I seem to be the only one who is really ****ed off about the re make. I believe it's a good game but it will never replace the real Devil May Cry series. I wish to know your opinions on this subject. Which do you think if better and why?

this is totally off topic, but i love your sig bro. my favorite DT from the entire series

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
i would say DmC laid the ground work for a pretty good series that will probably never happen. DMC1 and 2 were great in my opinion, because they were original. DMC3 and 4 borrowed heavily and i dare to say ripped off themes from other anime. and before anyone says that DmC ripped off from "they live", i have to say thats not tru because the whole idea behind "they live" has been around for decades. but long story short, half of the original series and DmC are tied for me

So had been the idea of a sibling rivalry where one twin is evil (DMC3) and rescuing the damsel in distress that is the main characters close friend/love interest (DMC4).

Oh please its not like DmC ripped off anime either.

hollow_vergil_by_alchemistfromeden-d5w5vvt.png
hollow_ichigo_smiles_by_mifang.jpg

Regardless what you say...The.Same.Sh*t.

They ripped off They Live with the hidden messages that pop ups showing the real intent behind billboards and various such phrases as "We have awoken" or "Stay asleep" (stuff that are trademarked and iconic to They Live) and Tameem himself admitted drawing influence from it and other movies.

Also DMC1 and DMC2 original.....ahahaha!!! Actually you might be right on that one although the concept for an evil business man out to take over the world or become immortal, a once sealed sealed demon king planning to invade into the human world and conquer it, and an avenge my family plot has been done many times before but I can't pinpoint the exact source where they could've drawn influence from (although Kamiya admitted taking influence from the Cobra manga and Blade comics). DMC2 seem to be the most original as if I don't think Itsuno got any direct ideas for any characters, plot point, or story elements directly from any known piece of media maybe literature such as the Bible (Argosax representing Legion) and Norse mythology (Bolverk and the wolves).

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
So had been the idea of a sibling rivalry where one twin is evil (DMC3) and rescuing the damsel in distress that is the main characters close friend/love interest (DMC4).

Oh please its not like DmC ripped off anime either.

hollow_vergil_by_alchemistfromeden-d5w5vvt.png
hollow_ichigo_smiles_by_mifang.jpg

Regardless what you say...The.Same.Sh*t.

They ripped off They Live with the hidden messages that pop ups showing the real intent behind billboards and various such phrases as "We have awoken" or "Stay asleep" (stuff that are trademarked and iconic to They Live) and Tameem himself admitted drawing influence from it and other movies.

Also DMC1 and DMC2 original.....ahahaha!!! Actually you might be right on that one although the concept for an evil business man out to take over the world or become immortal, a once sealed sealed demon king planning to invade into the human world and conquer it, and an avenge my family plot has been done many times before but I can't pinpoint the exact source where they could've drawn influence from (although Kamiya admitted taking influence from the Cobra manga and Blade comics). DMC2 seem to be the most original as if I don't think Itsuno got any direct ideas for any characters, plot point, or story elements directly from any known piece of media maybe literature such as the Bible (Argosax representing Legion) and Norse mythology (Bolverk and the wolves).

the whole hallow evil with in thinkg was a rip off. but hey, if the original series can get away with it...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
the whole hallow evil with in thinkg was a rip off. but hey, if the original series can get away with it...

Get away with what?

Using the Hollow Ichigo concept from Bleach? If so where did they (the original series) ever used it?

If your referring to ripping off Bleach as well. DMC4 got away with it since its pretty faint and basically noticeable due to Nero's and Kyrie's VA, if they had different VAs most people (or almost anyone) wouldn't draw a comparison meanwhile its as clear as day as where NT got Hollow Vergil from and Vergil isn't voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch to give you any hints either.

The only influence from Bleach in DMC4 is that Nero and Kyrie are similar to Ichigo and Orihime because they have the same VAs and fulfill the same roles, the same roles that has been used a million times now, geez might as well call Mario a bleach rip off (although Mario came first it was for the sake of a joke).

DmC ripped off Bleach by using the exact same concept of Hollow Ichigo 100%, the same physical appearance, role in story (except Ichigo doesn't become evil), and similar events (Hollow side takes away powers and have they fight inside their own world) and Vergil's character arc in Downfall is ripped straight out of one arc of Bleach where Ichigo goes through something drastically similar (he goes inside his own head/world after going through a comma or a traumatic experience, meets and faces old people, confronts his evil side, beats him, and becomes more powerful). Only difference was that Ichigo met people he faced before while Vergil met people who he felt wronged him, Ichigo went through it for the sake of power to protect his friends while Vergil went through it to sever his ties with others to gain power, and Ichigo went through it due to part of a training session while Vergil was knocked out and ends up in there (its still unknown if he is in hell actually or inside his head). So its not 100% the same.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Get away with what?

Using the Hollow Ichigo concept from Bleach? If so where did they (the original series) ever used it?

If your referring to ripping off Bleach as well. DMC4 got away with it since its pretty faint and basically noticeable due to Nero's and Kyrie's VA, if they had different VAs most people (or almost anyone) wouldn't draw a comparison meanwhile its as clear as day as where NT got Hollow Vergil from and Vergil isn't voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch to give you any hints either.

The only influence from Bleach in DMC4 is that Nero and Kyrie are similar to Ichigo and Orihime because they have the same VAs and fulfill the same roles, the same roles that has been used a million times now, geez might as well call Mario a bleach rip off (although Mario came first it was for the sake of a joke).

DmC ripped off Bleach by using the exact same concept of Hollow Ichigo 100%, the same physical appearance, role in story (except Ichigo doesn't become evil), and similar events (Hollow side takes away powers and have they fight inside their own world) and Vergil's character arc in Downfall is ripped straight out of one arc of Bleach where Ichigo goes through something drastically similar (he goes inside his own head/world after going through a comma or a traumatic experience, meets and faces old people, confronts his evil side, beats him, and becomes more powerful). Only difference was that Ichigo met people he faced before while Vergil met people who he felt wronged him, Ichigo went through it for the sake of power to protect his friends while Vergil went through it to sever his ties with others to gain power, and Ichigo went through it due to part of a training session while Vergil was knocked out and ends up in there (its still unknown if he is in hell actually or inside his head). So its not 100% the same.

meh. at the end of the day, does it matter how much material was ripped off? bottom line is, past 3 devil may cry games ripped off ideas from other manga series, tv and movies. a rip off is a rip off

meh. at the end of the day, does it matter how much material was ripped off? bottom line is, past 3 devil may cry games ripped off ideas from other manga series, tv and movies. a rip off is a rip off

I'm sorry but neither games 'ripped off'.
Do you guys even know the definition of a rip off?
Rip off= copy,imitation
Inspiration it's another thing.
Neither DMC or DmC ripped off.Inspiration is another thing though.
But I have to agree DMC was a pretty original game with a creative concept at first.

I'd probably lean more to DmC since it actually tried to give DMC an actual good story.
I fail to see any connection between them,if you,yourself prefer the concept of DmC that's another thing.
There are people who prefer their games more for the gameplay and atmosphere,others for the story and such.Just because one game has a better story development doesn't make it better.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I'm sorry but neither games 'ripped off'.
Do you guys even know the definition of a rip off?
Rip off= copy,imitation
Inspiration it's another thing.
Neither DMC or DmC ripped off.Inspiration is another thing though.
But I have to agree DMC was a pretty original game with a creative concept at first.

oh c'mon. i'm just fightin fire with fire. i live by the term "nothing new is under the sun". but some others dont wanna view it that way so in order to discuss, one must use their methods and vocabulary

oh c'mon. i'm just fightin fire with fire. i live by the term "nothing new is under the sun". but some others dont wanna view it that way so in order to discuss, one must use their methods and vocabulary
I see,and I agree with you,but I was reffering to both of you.
Let's face it,nothing can be original without getting inspired by something that was done at a point.
I see this debate of how much 'that copied that' quite pointless.
I don't say it's a bad thing to point out these things,but don't make a big deal out of them,like : that is worse because it copied that,because I personally don't care as long as I like it. It's not that I would hate Bleach or Inuyasha so why would I hate DMC or DmC?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I see,and I agree with you,but I was reffering to both of you.
Let's face it,nothing can be original without getting inspired by something that was done at a point.
I see this debate of how much 'that copied that' quite pointless.
I don't say it's a bad thing to point out these things,but don't make a big deal out of them,like : that is worse because it copied that,because I personally don't care as long as I like it. It's not that I would hate Bleach or Inuyasha so why would I hate DMC or DmC?

if you liked it. thats all that matters right?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Yes,that's all that matters.
But no,most people would go so far as pointing out even the tiniest mistakes and such in the games -_-.

what can you do about it though? its not up to you to do something about them. if they want to point it out, let them. don't let it discourage you from liking something

what can you do about it though? its not up to you to do something about them. if they want to point it out, let them. don't let it discourage you from liking something
I know,but it's getting really silly,you know,this never ending arguing even on the tiniest flaws.
Of course it won't stop me liking what I like,I'm not influenced by such silly arguments.And that's what everyone should do.

Top Bottom