• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Mechanics and Storyline Directions for DMC5

With the hype for DMC5 slowly building up (depending on who you ask) I'm deciding to post this thread for dischssing how would this game differenciate from the rest of the series. Here are some of my ideas:

- Spice up the ways in which the Style Meter builds up and down or could interact with the actual gameplay.

- Co-op - something the creator said he wanted to implement, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be not-infuriating or popular.

- The Rebellion's momentum - I've had 2 ideas: first, the charged slash could act kinda like Beowulf, but you can also speed it up in exchange for the strike's power, so you can dictate the flow of your combos even more. Idea 2 is kinda like Nevada, where after slashing you can riff on your sword (totally sounds like something Dante would do) and create bats or something. Not as sure if it's gonna be fun, but maybe.

- at least for Ebony and Ivory, it'd make using the charged shots SO much easier if instead of button mashing you hold the button to turbo-fire and they charge automatically without any imput.

- make the Devil Trigger more about helping sustain combos This is the one thing I think DMC squared did right with the time stop mechanic, but I think it should be expanded upon. Right now Devil Trigger is just a generic power up to your speed and strenght. That's boring. Here's the idea - keep the health regen and blocking weaker moves, hut also make the activation stop time in a radius (smaller than quicksilver). Also make it that getting hit always makes you dodge, but depletes your meter. And keeps your Style Ranking.

- Comeback of Nero - apparently despite mixed opinions on DMC4 a lot of people (including me) liked Nero. I imagine DMC5 taking place something-ty years after 4 and him being older, maybe even growing a sexy beard and devloping his relationship with Kyrie. Hell, SHE could become a badass demon hunter (she's hanging with the right crowd) and have a more interesting personality. They could be chasing Dante to try and hunt him down, since he's one of the most powerful=dangerous cratures in DMC's world, or they could need help with Nero's arm goung crazy or something.

- character development for Dante - AKA make him a bit more than a one-liner factory. Maybe explore how Dante's jokey personality hides his inner depression at having to kill his own kin. Maybe he trurly struggles to trurly understand some human emotions. Maybe he feels guilty for the world being thrown into literal hell so many times. Something to flesh him out. Maybe explore his relationship with Sparda, before and after death.

Post your ideas!

Maxman

Make Bloody Palace mode Co-Op with competitive scoring element that encourages you to be more stylish than your friend as well

Include weapon switching from DmC ( yeah ass blast me for that already)

Veloran

Character switching between Nero and Vergil. They both waste a button anyway.

- make the Devil Trigger more about helping sustain combos This is the one thing I think DMC squared did right with the time stop mechanic, but I think it should be expanded upon. Right now Devil Trigger is just a generic power up to your speed and strenght. That's boring. Here's the idea - keep the health regen and blocking weaker moves, hut also make the activation stop time in a radius (smaller than quicksilver). Also make it that getting hit always makes you dodge, but depletes your meter. And keeps your Style Ranking.
DT normally augments your moves beyond just hitting harder, tying it to some kind of Quicksilver effect is bad because you don't always want things to slow down when you activate it. Basically that's exactly why QS in 3 was purely the timestop and not tied to any other moves or effects on Dante, because if it was you'd be limited to using such things while under the QS.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Right now Devil Trigger is just a generic power up to your speed and strenght. That's boring.

Except, that's not the case. DMC4 made it more than that, letting it be a much more important tool within the combo system itself.

In the case of Dante, it changes the properties of some moves beyond just augmenting damage. For example, Stinger becomes a multi hitting move and Sky Star and Trickster dashes can be chained in a greater number, increasing combo extending potential by a lot.

In the case of Nero, it even acts as a cancel and an Area of Effect launcher, and it also has exclusive moves only available during DT, like in past games (for example, the fly/lightning shooting).

If they have to take elements from DmC, the Devil Trigger mechanic is probably the last thing they should keep, as it's both cheap (enemies floating helplessly in the air are one hell of an easy win) and uninteresting, cause it's got nothing going on for it aside from the time freeze, unlike the previous entries in the series, especially DMC4, as I explained.

I imagine a cool mechanic I'd like to see is an Arkham Knight kinda character switch mid combo. If expanded upon, I think it could be pretty damn spectacular in a DMC game. They could tie it in the story when it comes to the campaign, and let you choose if you want it or not, and with which characters, in Bloody Palace.

Ok, I kinda exaggurated with the DT, but the POINT I'm trying to make is that it would be more interesting if it was more of a defensive tool. DMC4's DTriggers are about increasing combo potential through boosting stats and giving acces to stronger moves. I think it would be more interesting as a tool for keeping yourself safe and still-comboing in combos and kinda in neutral. I think the being-hit-making-you-auto-dodge-for-a-penalty-of-meter mechanic would be great for that. And the Quicksilver DT mechanic I imagine the radius would be the size of the activation ball thing, so faraway enemies would still be unaffected. It'd be mostly for reacting to hard-to-dodge close-range enemy attacks, so that you can keep your combo. If the timestop only lingered until you attack a stopped enemy, and after that he comes back to normal it wouldn't be possibly ale to mess up combos.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think it would be more interesting as a tool for keeping yourself safe and still-comboing in combos and kinda in neutral.

Can you explain a little better? I mean, it already is a defensive tool. Its activation has i-frames and causes a mini explosion that gets enemies off you, and of course while you're in DT you don't get hitstunned and health regenerates. And in all that you can still combo. So what exactly do you mean?

Can you explain a little better? I mean, it already is a defensive tool. Its activation has i-frames and causes a mini explosion that gets enemies off you, and of course while you're in DT you don't get hitstunned and health regenerates. And in all that you can still combo. So what exactly do you mean?

I mostly thought about it helping you keep your Style meter . The pseudo-Quicksilver mechanic would work similliar to the i-frames + mini explosion, but instead of keeping enemies off you, it could also be used to change the momentum of the fight from being on the defense to offense. It'd be easier to use for the new players. In DT you can get hit from certain attacks, but if it changed to the earlier explained dash mechanic, it would add more depth to this defensive playstyle and keep it from being OP. And I bet it'd look cool. The health regen could either stay or be tied to attacking your enemy, so that the DT also rewards you for being offensive. I know that now the DT's help your offense, but honestly, EVERY SINGLE MECHANIC IN THESE GAMES (cancelling, weapon switching , basically all the unlockable moves) IS SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU BE ABLE TO HIT PEOPLE FOR LONGER periods of time. I think it would be interesting to make the DT instead make your combos safer.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Nero looks like a brawler so I wanted him to have a melee component to his fighting style. I had this visual where Nero just transforms his other hand when you switch into melee.

I mean Dante has his guns and Vergil has his sword so Nero needs a lil something extra, ya know.

AngelBeast

Story wise:
Yeah what you said about Nero and Kyrie developing more I really liked, them having to chase down Dante would be interesting

I imagine that Nero finally learns from older people around Fortuna that Vergil arrived before he was born, he could find out that Vergil originally owned Yamato and ask Dante for answers considering Dante was the one who let him keep the sword, then something could happen that leads into utter chaos or something.

As for the lovely Kyrie, I've read a theory comment on DA mentioning that she could become an Excorcist, I'm not quite sure how that would play out in a universe like DMCs but Excorcist defiantly seems fitting for her, and she could track demon souls for Nero while they looked for Dante,

Just ranting my ideas here

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
i've read many threads here to know that there so many nice ways to improve mechanics, so i won't go into that, well that and i'm not that good with the game..

storyline is probably the hardest thing to do for capcom, people want to see dante, vergil and nero again and aside from dante, each has their own story to bring, vergil's whereabout and kyrie.. and should the story move forward or backward..

the line from nero to dante "will we meet again" suggests there'll be quite some time where the two won't meet, and i want that period to be in the game too.. and with so many characters, i'd still keep the separate missions --for that period mostly, but dlc will work-- and some other shared missions where you can pick the characters to play..

i think capcom should do their best with story telling for 5, i don't want a novel or manga to fill some void..

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
In terms of story progression, I worry about what they're going to do with Dante. He's already beaten the Demon King Mundus, and nothing in DMC4 seemed to pose a threat to him. I honestly believe that story progression lies with Nero taking over as protagonist with Dante being a mentor of sorts. Though I am hoping on a Sparda prequel.

As for mechanics. I would like to see Nero's combat expanded upon. But please Capcom, give him a better Devil Trigger.

Frazz

General gamer
I'd love to see a post DMC2 story where Kyrie becomes a spiritual medium and is able to see in the Demon World whilst in the Human World. Then she could guide Nero through the Demon World to find Dante and then she'd come across Vergil and figure out his connection to Nero. It'd be a cool way to make Kyrie interesting and she wouldn't be another Trish/Lady in that she wouldn't be a fighter but more of a tactical mind that can sense Demonic power and 'see' things the others can't.

Gameplay wise I'd like to see Nero have weapons with different exceed functions. It could be cool if he got Alastor and L2 charged up the electricity. I'd also like to see Nero have some form of gauntlet/greaves weapon. Also he needs a proper DT! I also want to see the customisation of DMC3 as in 4 when playing as Dante you have 3 melee weapons to switch between at all times but it'd be cool to have the option to carry 2 or 3. Also I'd like Dante to have more than 3 melee weapons this time! I'd also like more styles for Dante with customisation applying to them as you could choose which 4 styles you want to have and again you can choose just to have 2 if you want.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think you could use it as part of a two game story arc with DMC5 bridging the gap btw DMC4 and 2 and dmc6 being set after 2.

But the real kicker is trying to guess what direction Capcom would go in. So what do you think Capcom would be interested in trying next?

Goldsickle

I thought of Release being dependent on what weapon you're equipped with.

If Dante has Rebellion equipped during Release, then he'll do a Stinger that pierces through a column of enemies.
If he has a gauntlet-type weapon, then he'd do an uppercut that helps lift up enemies that wouldn't normally be launched with regular moves like High Time.

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
Nero being developed so he owns three melee weapons would be nice, while still having Devil Bringer in its Style button.
> Red Queen (or whatever new sword, given that the Novel had it disappear... I think ?)
> Yamato (alone)
> Devil Bringer as gauntlet-type. Even if I hate DmC's gauntlet-type weapon, I could see a similar moveset.

I do dislike the EX system, at least when they made it compulsory to cancel Nero's Shuffle... And Super Nero charging it automatically >_> But if they add more weapons, pretty sure the system is going to get removed due to it being a feature of Red Queen. That being said, Dante has a jauge just for Pandora.

Storyline-wise, I'd like the Nero-Vergil relationship to come to light, even if it's not through a proper meet. As for Dante, I'd like him to retain a better role, he was fairly not done well in Devil May Cry 4, even if right from the start, you know that Nero is going to have the last word. Heck, sometimes Dante would even take his breath again (at least I felt like it) like "I'm too old for this crap".

Top Bottom