• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's DT Bleach rip off/inspiration?

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
You can call two things being alike a rip off or inspiration. I choose to use the word rip off. Because i believe if someone can't make something on their own then they are just using idea someone else has made which makes their own creativity not good.

To the point of the thread, look at this (Bleach captain's bankai - Bankai being ultimate technique of a shinigami (a soul reaper)).

Komamura_bankai.jpg

What do you think? I would love to know if the person who made Nero's DT is a Bleach fan or not :p

Turtles

TURTS c:
The only similarity there are between Bleach and DMC4 is Johnny Bosch. (Voice of Nero & Ichigo) Other than that, I believe that these two ideas are similar, they are nowhere near close enough to be considered a rip off.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
And the whole theme of DMC4 is "protect the one who got kidnapped" like most of the first seasons of Bleach.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Kyrie looks Orohime.
Nero's DT looks like Komamura's bankai.
Voice actor of Nero is Ichigo's voice actor.

Rip off!!!! :D

There's more to the similarities then that. ahem;

The old man being the leader theme is like Yamamoto from Bleach

Nero and Ichigo both use Katanas when they want to get serious

Both Orihime and Kyrie dress the same in white

The whole "Credos caring for sister and getting stabbed" part was like Byakuya when he saved his sister from getting stabbed by Gin

The "human trying to be God" theme (Which is played out now) is the same as Aizen.

Kyrie get's captured much like Orihime with the Arrancars

Pretty much just mod Nero to look like Ichigo and that's about it.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
1. voice acting is a job. people do it to make money and to continue to have money they have to continue to do it so voice actors provide voices for multiple characters. that is not in any way significant.
2. women get kidnapped, captured etc. in many times across all forms of media (including DMC1 and 2)
3. old guys being in charge is just common sense.
4. they are both made in Japan (also know as where katanas come from) pointing out that a charicter from a Japanese franchise is using a Japanese weapon is like pointing out that people sit on chairs.
5. "the human trying to be a god' theme is the plot of every single Devil May Cry game except the first one.
6. a brother sacrificing themselves for their sister. also like people sitting in chairs.
7. a pure innocent girl wearing white is also very common in fiction.
8. the similarity between Nero's DT and Kommamura's Bankai is to vague the be worth mentioning.
9. the only major similarity in appearance between Kyrie and Orihime besides wearing dresses that are the same color one time is vaguely similar hair color (another "people sit on chairs" level observation).

Turtles

TURTS c:
1. voice acting is a job. people do it to make money and to continue to have money they have to continue to do it so voice actors provide voices for multiple characters. that is not in any way significant.
2. women get kidnapped, captured etc. in many times across all forms of media (including DMC1 and 2)
4. they are both made in Japan (also know as where katanas come from) pointing out that a charicter from a Japanese franchise is using a Japanese weapon is like pointing out that people sit on chairs.
5. "the human trying to be a god' theme is the plot of every single Devil May Cry game except the first one.
6. a brother sacrificing themselves for their sister. also like people sitting in chairs.
8. the similarity between Nero's DT and Kommamura's Bankai is to vague the be worth mentioning.
9. the only major similarity in appearance between Kyrie and Orihime besides wearing dresses that are the same color one time is vaguely similar hair color (another "people sit on chairs" level observation).
You sir, said the exact thing I was thinking. Though it was far more brilliant than i could have put it.

McdD

1. voice acting is a job. people do it to make money and to continue to have money they have to continue to do it so voice actors provide voices for multiple characters.
that is not in any way significant.
And you think people of this forum do not know that? The reason i mentioned the voice actor is that it doesn't seem to be a coincedence that Kyrie looks like Orohime, that Nero's DT looks like Komamura's bankai, and even more that Ichigo's voice actor is acting for Nero.
Your opinion is no way fact.

Yes, but what your mind fail to realize is that when there are many similarities it makes the kidnapping idea in story also seem like a Bleach idea. One idea such as a woman being kidnapped alone is to general to say "There is a connection!", but when there is serveal ideas then it makes sense.

I agree that one idea alone (such as a woman being kidnapped) is not enough to say "They may be ripping off", but when there is many things similar to Bleach it's makes the probability of DMC 4 ideas being ripped off Bleach more likely.

And if you can't understand that, don't talk about it as if it's a fact. You say the Nero Devil trigger similarity to Bankai of Komumaru is vague? I say it's not.

Turtles

TURTS c:
I don't think that you can necessarily say that DMC4 "ripped off" ideas from Bleach. Sure the things you pointed out are valid similarities, but those exist in media all of the time. Just because they have ideas that seem the same, doesn't mean that DMC4's game developers one day saw an episode of Bleach and stole every idea they could. Also regarding the Johnny Bosch thing, he is a well sought after voice actor because lets face it he has a great voice.

Jerry

His DT looks honestly more like Susanoo from naruto. Komomura's bankai is just waaaay to big.

McdD

now ur just overthinking it.
Not really. Tameem Antoniades said he likes "They Live" movie alot, and you can clearly see the whole V for Vendetta movie/comic book influencing DmC.

So that goes to show you someone can take ideas from two different work. In this case i am suggesting Naruto and Bleach.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
The problem is, once you combine two things created by others, it's usually not considered a rip-off anymore. Maybe Naruto's Susanoo was inspired by something as well.

Think about painting: if you were to paint something, your teacher might say it reminds him of a certain artist's work. And maybe subconsciously you were slightly emulating that artist's work. Or not - who knows?

Eventually somebody's going to come up with something oddly familiar. It's either coincidence, or some minds think alike. Besides, eventually, very few things can be called original. In the future, everything might be inspired by something else, and there will be no way to create something that's truly yours.

McdD

The problem is, once you combine two things created by others, it's not considered a rip-off anymore. Maybe Naruto's Susanoo was inspired by something as well.

Think about painting: if you were to paint something, your teacher might say it reminds him of a certain artist's work. And maybe subconsciously you were slightly emulating that artist's work. Or not - who knows?

Eventually somebody's going to come up with something oddly familiar. It's either coincidence, or some minds think alike.
It's true if you rip off two things then the mix of those two won't look like a rip off.
But it doesn't mean the result isn't ripped off other things, it just makes it hard to see if it's a rip off or not.

And Naruto Susano is 100% inspired from Japanese mythology. But if i rip off someone, you rip off me, and someone rips off you, does that mean our action looses it's value because far to many do it? No.

But it is possible what you say. That someone emulates a previous thing they have experienced (example a game).
It's also possible someone comes up with same idea as someone else because of pure coincedence or they think alike.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's true if you rip off two things then the mix of those two won't look like a rip off.
But it doesn't mean the result isn't ripped off other things, it just makes it hard to see if it's a rip off or not.

And Naruto Susano is 100% inspired from Japanese mythology. But if i rip off someone, you rip off me, and someone rips off you, does that mean our action looses it's value because far to many do it? No.

But it is possible what you say. That someone emulates a previous thing they have experienced (example a game).
It's also possible someone comes up with same idea as someone else because of pure coincedence or they think alike.

Well, if that's how you think, then everything in the world must be a rip-off to you.
Susanoo's form is inspired by Japanese mythology, but I wonder if the 'giant thing floating behind/above someone' is. Like in DMC4, you've got Nero's DT floating behind him.

But yeah, it's often a coincidence. In drawing, it doesn't take much for your work to look almost exactly like the work of another artist. I recently saw an advert for a bra (not that I like watching that :p) that was inspired by a bra from the sixties. But make just a slight alteration, and it's no longer a rip-off, thus they can't press charges.

Of course, I think it's a shame people usually can't think of anything truly original.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
I wouldn't necessarily call it a "rip off." Just because things are similar doesn't mean they were "ripped off." For example, I could say that Komumura from Bleach is a "rip off" of Star Fox or Star Wolf. Or he could be a "rip off" of a lot of Dragonball/Dragonball Z characters that are also anthropomorphic. While I don't watch Bleach or Naruto, anymore anyway, I personally think Nero's DT reminds me more of the Susanoo from Naruto. Regardless of size Nero's DT looks spectral, while the thing from Bleach looks like a physical entity. While I don't doubt that Nero's DT could have been "inspired" by Bleach, I don't think it was "ripped off." When I picture something being "ripped off" I picture the end result looking more identical rather than similar. And they don't look identical from any point of view. Although, I could easily picture this scenario... Johnny Bosch walks into the DMC4 studios and walks up to Itsuno-san and says..."Hey there was this one thing that happened in Bleach that I think would be pretty cool if you implemented it into Nero's DT...." Although I highly doubt this considering he's a voice actor. But it's not unheard of for actors to give input on the characters they are portraying.

Anyway all I'm trying to get at is it's probably more of an inspiration than a "rip off." They just aren't similar enough.

Top Bottom