• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero and Yamato

Zato-OW

King
Sparda™;192986 said:
Well, having exclusive Devil May Cry 4 content, It has no other chance but to be sold in the DMC4 website. That doesn't mean It has been confirmed as canon by Capcom. I doubt It will be. It explains stuff but on the cost of lame excuses, which is no go for us, fans of this franchise.

You understand that the other DMC novels were thrown out all because of the timing? The DMC4 Novel fits right into place which connects it to the the current time line in DMC. When Nero was announced he was a "no go" by then fans and people complained about him over and over. They did nothing but kept him. People kept asking about Vergil and whether he was going to be in DMC4 or not and you know what they did? They killed him off completely. They don't care about what the fans want, they are doing what they feel is best for the story line. Bingo is the story writer for DMC3/Mangas and DMC4/Novel and the chances of the novel not being cannon is very slim.

Vergil'sB*tch;192987 said:
(Off topic a bit, what are the chances of Sparda still being alive? Seeing that sources say he disappeared and didn't die. Thanks Capcom!!! Something else to confuse me!)

The narrator in DMC1 said that Sparda was killed or died either or. So I'm sure hes dead.

Sparda™

Zato-OW;192991 said:
You understand that the other DMC novels were thrown out all because of the timing? The DMC4 Novel fits right into place which connects it to the the current time line in DMC. When Nero was announced he was a "no go" by then fans and people complained about him over and over. They did nothing but kept him. People kept asking about Vergil and whether he was going to be in DMC4 or not and you know what they did? They killed him off completely. They don't care about what the fans want, they are doing what they feel is best for the story line. Bingo is the story writer for DMC3/Mangas and DMC4/Novel and the chances of the novel not being cannon is very slim.

The Devil May Cry 1 novel was killed off because of the timeline.

The Devil May Cry 2 novel is a prequel to the DMC2 game so It's canon.

I'll just hang on to those slim chances. This DMC4 Novel is a joke If It's considered canon.

Zato-OW;192991 said:
The narrator in DMC1 said that Sparda was killed or died either or. So I'm sure hes dead.

Exactly, the narrator of DEVIL MAY CRY 1. So, that's doubtful.

Zato-OW

King
DMC2 Novel still has DMC1 Novel characters so its still not cannon and it also goes along with the DMC1 Novel story. In the DMC2 Novel Dante "kills" Mundus and yeah you really believe he is that strong? Then the DMC2 Novel claims its a few years after DMC1 which we know is a lie because of DMC4 and the past statements of the time line.

Also yes the "narrator" said that Sparda died. He is telling us who Sparda is what he did for humans and what his fate was, he has no reason to lie.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Zato-OW;192993 said:
DMC2 Novel still has DMC1 Novel characters so its still not cannon and it also goes along with the DMC1 Novel story. In the DMC2 Novel Dante "kills" Mundus and yeah you really believe he is that strong? Then the DMC2 Novel claims its a few years after DMC1 which we know is a lie because of DMC4 and the past statements of the time line.

Also yes the "narrator" said that Sparda died. He is telling us who Sparda is what he did for humans and what his fate was, he has no reason to lie.
Yeah he did actually say "until his death" and 4 in itself shows us that the last thing Kobayashi wants to do is axe the first game.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
In the DMC2 Novel Dante "kills" Mundus and yeah you really believe he is that strong?
That was an epic fail of a battle. When I first read it I thought he was just another demon, but back then I hadn't known the whole history behind Mundus. Now I just kinda cringe at the memory. :huh:

Zato-OW;192993 said:

:lol: Well with Capcom's contradictory statements and collection of plot holes, it wouldn't be that surprising if they did something stupid and put a 'reincarnated' Sparda in the next installment of the series. Off topic a bit, I know. I just thought it was funny when you pointed out the narrator has no reason to lie. :lol:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I asked about Sparda because, in the DMC3 Code 1 Dante book, it says that Sparda... disappeared. Now, if Sparda is dead... are any of these books canon? Would the whole prossy thing have happened if these books aren't canon?
With the help of you guys, i must say the plot does unravel with quite a few plot holes.
(I didn't find Legacy of Kain this confusing!)

Sparda™

The Beastheads, now an enormous three-headed dog, tracks Dante and Beryl to a sea-side cliff. The despair the Beastheads causes nearly incapacitates Beryl. Seeing Dante fight reminds Beryl of the Dark Knight, Sparda, a fairy tale she was told as a child. She gets up and aids Dante, though defeating the Beastheads causes them warp somewhere. Beryl dreams, remembering how the Beastheads corrupted her father. She awakens in a cave with Dante. Dante investigates and discovers they are in a parallel world where Mundus captured him as a child and his brother Vergil led Mundus' lieutenants against him. Dante agrees to fight Mundus a second time. The village housing the rebel demons is attacked by an army, all of whom resemble Trish. Mundus' former lieutenants give their lives to aid Dante in killing Trish, an action he regrets. Griffon leads Dante to Mundus' castle. Dante and Beryl enter and Dante defeats Mundus a second time while Beryl watches.

Beryl and Dante awaken in Chen's labs, where Chen performs experiments on demons.

That happens in a parallel world. Dante doesn't fight in the real world and defeats the actual Mundus, but a parallel version of him. The Devil May Cry 2 novel is canon.

And yes, Devil May Cry 1 has been reduced in terms of storyline, to pieces, so I wouldn't take the narrator's words with no less than a grain of salt.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
So Sparda dead or alive... manga or game?
Also, why write about a parallel universe! Did someone not tell the author he was writing a book for a video game and not sci-fi?

Sparda™

Vergil'sB*tch;193005 said:
So Sparda dead or alive... manga or game?
Also, why write about a parallel universe! Did someone not tell the author he was writing a book for a video game and not sci-fi?

Sparda's missing, disappeared.

The DMC3 manga is canon, officially Capcom-confirmed.

Well, the DMC2 novel has been taken as canon, due to having nothing in common with any other games and It's also a direct prequel to the DMC2 game.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Capcom = ***holes!

Sparda could pop up anytime! (*laughs*) Unbelievable!
Capcom must think us fans are thicker than two very short planks of wood!

Sparda™

Vergil'sB*tch;193011 said:
Capcom = ***holes!

Sparda could pop up anytime! (*laughs*) Unbelievable!
Capcom must think us fans are thicker than two very short planks of wood!

I know, really!

I think during a conversation during a cut-scene, you might actually see Sparda drinking a cup of tea not far from where Dante is mass-slaughtering demons...:lol:

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Probably a majority of more casual followers of DMC have not even heard of all these obscure japanese novels so regardless of what has been officially confirmed these are still quite an obscure form of media to be putting anything significant like the origins of Nero (which seems to have been deliberately held back)
I don't know about anybody else but im not about to start basing massive chunks of the story on these things. Confimed or not a LOT of people are never going too track down a translated japanese novel and read it backwards just to find out something they should already know. As far as I am concerned something that big needs to be dealt with properly and in a more western friendly form of media like..oh I don't know a videogame perhaps?

Until the next game I will continue to keep an open mind on the entire matter regarding Nero, Vergil and Sparda. Capcom surely will not want to pi$$ off the massive number of fratboy fans they won over with DMC3, most of which are too cool to read Japanese novels because they think only weeaboos do that.

Sparda™

If Capcom would really have that DMC4 novel translated in English, It would do a great favor to us. At least we'd know It's official from them, and we'd deal later with what would be written in there.

But anyway, since most of the novel's essence has been translated, It revealed Capcom doesn't give a flying fuc|< about fans, even those DMC3-obsessed - since Vergil has been humiliated in the most obscene way ever -- Yamato given to Nero, Vergil sleeping with a prostitute.

Zato-OW

King
DMC2 Novel is not cannon. The Mundus thing was just something very small I threw in there, there is a lot more I can throw back in to prove this. For an example, the DMC2 Novel is set about 6 months after DMC1 and that's just a small detail.Then there is the part where he claimed as a teen he forgot his name and went as Tony Redgrave and we know that isn't true.

Sparda is said to be dead in DMC1 but whether you want to believe he "disappeared" is up to you. But the fact still remains that it never claims that he is still alive.

Oh btw Dante DOES kill Mundus and Trish in the DMC2 Novel.<--- Actually this is wrong, well kinda.

This book is actually pretty good, I might read the rest at school.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
What i don't understand is has the bloke who wrote the novels actually played any of the games? Surely, if he had, the books wouldn't go against the series the way they have... would they?
(Just as well make the doujinshi canon too ;))
I only got the books because it was Devil May Cry. And i totally agree about ruining Vergil's rep and character (which did p*** me off as a DMC3 fan). Surely, Vergil would kill to get Yamato back, no matter who or what got hurt. Also, I expect that he would want back his half of the amulet too.

Zato-OW

King
The DMC1/2 novels have different story writers then the Games. Which the DMC2 novel connects with the DMC1 novel from incidents and characters but I'm not sure if the same person wrote both. The DMC4 game and novel were written by the same person though so as with DMC3 and the mangas.

Vergil was suspected to have been killed in DMC1 and before DMC1(game dialog). Then DMC3 came out and changed a few things. I agree they screwed Vergil over in DMC4(They could have brought him back from a suspected death but chose to axe him instead). The prostitute thing is just something Sanctus predicted and is most likely not true at all. Vergil was still the same Vergil that he was in DMC3 as in the DMC4 novel.

SpArAda1127

Rebirth
Zato-OW;193032 said:
The DMC1/2 novels have different story writers then the Games. Which the DMC2 novel connects with the DMC1 novel from incidents and characters but I'm not sure if the same person wrote both. The DMC4 game and novel were written by the same person though so as with DMC3 and the mangas.

Vergil was suspected to have been killed in DMC1 and before DMC1(game dialog). Then DMC3 came out and changed a few things. I agree they screwed Vergil over in DMC4(They could have brought him back from a suspected death but chose to axe him instead). The prostitute thing is just something Sanctus predicted and is most likely not true at all. Vergil was still the same Vergil that he was in DMC3 as in the DMC4 novel.

Thank god for you dhde at least you know how to clear things up, I agree with u completely...capcom sure has a way with screwing their fans over of u ask me especially since theyre just story driven...

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
~rubs his eyes~ The First two novels ARE Canon in terms of the viable background info, they are just not IN CONTINUITY, which are two different things. The writer of the first two novels did so with information from the then director of the project. Dante DID go by the name Tony, that's even referenced in the anime, which IS Canon. Dante DID forget his true name due to the trauma of what had happened. It's the specific occurrence of events in the first novel that is not in continuity anymore, but the background and character information IS still canon. And anyone who says "well, this part is a lie in the novel because" needs to understand, those two novels were written BEFORE DMC3 was even in development. Therefore, DMC3 is a retcon, not the novels being "wrong".

The DMC4 Novel, however, is blatantly note in continuity or in canon. Bingo outright rewrote and ignore sections of the published game just to fit what he wanted, and he did this after he left the employ of Capcom. It's basically an AU "fanfic" that was officially published. The developers said repeatedly Nero as 19 in the game, the same age as DMC3 Dante. Bingo re-wrote his age to 16. Game trumps novel, novel is non-canon, and AU only.

Zato-OW

King
Nero was said to be around the same age as Dante then Kobayashi turned around and said that Nero was still only a child in DMC4.The developers never gave an exact age for Nero. Nero was also predicted to be around the age of 16-17 because he has no recorded birth date. Also almost every one in DMC4 treated Nero as if he was a kid.

The part that isn't true is when Dante forgot his name "as a teen" and lived as Tony Redgrave because of the anime. Not saying he didn't live as that alias. As I recall, Dante was mistaken for a man named Tony in the anime which I think turned out that it wasn't him. But I have to re watch it to make sure.

Bingo says in the Novel that a lot of cut scenes in this novel were taken out of the game so he written them into the novel. He also said that the reason why he added them into to the Novel is to "complete" the story of what was missing. Then again I also find it amazingly funny that Capcom is advertising this book and giving him the "go ahead" to release it. The only part I seen that doesn't fit is the part where the Red Queen and Blue Rose melted before he fought Sanctus.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dante Redgrave;193179 said:
It's basically an AU "fanfic" that was officially published. The developers said repeatedly Nero as 19 in the game, the same age as DMC3 Dante. Bingo re-wrote his age to 16. Game trumps novel, novel is non-canon, and AU only.

In my opinion, any books written after a game release smacks of fanfiction, whether it's canon or not. It's almost as bad as all these movies popping up based on the games, like Blood Rayne and Doom, because it's all just so mediocre in comparison to the actual game. If it had been the other way around, eg. an already published book was bought and they created a game based off the book, the plotholes that come through in the game would be forgiven because all the info is backed up in the original novel.

Bingo sounds like a puppy scorned because his ideas didn't go down well with the rest of his team, and someone probably suggested 'why dont you just write a book about it dammit'. It sounds to me like he totally disregarded the information already made public, and he's got the characters all wrong. If Vergil (the one we KNOW is haughty of his heritage, who looks down on humans as weak, who doesn't want to share his family's history with anybody) really did sleep with a human, which completely defies his character, I'd buy his book just to burn it.

Back on topic (sort of) was Yamato originally Sparda's? It was a handme-down to Vergil, right? Well, that's what I always thought, and until someone proves me wrong, I still believe that Yamato only responded to Nero because once Nero had his awakening, his demon side became active. Since he's got Sparda's blood in him, I recon that's what Yamato responded to. I'd bet the same thing would have happened if Dante had gotten to Yamato first.

Top Bottom