• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My Favorite Game Console Turns 15 Today

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
The 15th Anniversary of Nintendo's Underdog Console

pYv0TCP.jpg

On this day, September 14th back in 2001, the Nintendo GameCube was launched.

Before the Wii U arrived, this console was considered the red-headed bastard child of Nintendo's console line-up. It had no DVD support, was limited by the wildly-incompetent decision to use smaller discs, and was marketed terribly to its prime consumerbase.

So why is it my favorite console? Well, simply put, my favorite gaming experiences happened here, on this console.

It has, in my opinion, the best offerings of every franchise that materialized on this console.

It has my favorite Mario game.
tumblr_mavokfBKb81qh8rq6o1_500.gif

Arguably the best Smash Bros.
tumblr_n45c2cXuYk1qfnp35o1_500.gif

Arguably the best Mario Kart.
9mlSlJ.gif

Easily my favorite Zelda.
giphy.gif

Possibly my favorite RPG of all time.

But above all, Nintendo tried this generation above all others to win 3rd-party support. LucasArts put both Rogue Squadrons on it exclusively, got Capcom to port every prominent Resident Evil title, as well as the remake, prequel, and wildly-popular 4th Entry. It got Soul Calibur II, easily my favorite fighting game of all time, and has the best controller for it to boot. It has my favorite Sonic game, and again, is made the best version of it because of how awesome the controller is. This was also the console where Nintendo strove harder to have outside parties work on their OWN franchises.
SEGA cranked out hands down, the single greatest F-Zero game ever made.
4pmGEeL.gif

Retro Studios made what some consider to be the ultimate 3D realization of the Metroid series.
giphy.gif

Namco made
giphy.gif

my single
giphy.gif

favorite
giphy.gif

Star Fox game

of all time.
tumblr_mf7ce1c0lZ1qmd0hwo1_500.gif

The GameCube helped build my transcedence from casual to hardcore gaming enthusiast. It became my incentive to buy strategy guides, to start importing. To use cheat codes, to research things like game development and programming.

It's not perfect, but I still treasure this console with an undying passion, and have bought multiple versions of it, including its ultra-elusive Panasonic version. To me, it represents Nintendo in their prime: not pursuing casuals or gimmicks, not trying egrigously-hard to be kid-friendly, not xenophobic towards outside developers or pursuing online multiplayer that would be redundant after a generation had gone by.

This was the generation where they had one, un-distracted goal: make games, and make them damn good. That philosophy is what the GameCube was and is to me.

"What if everything that you see, is more than what you see? The person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it or accept that there is more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." --Quote from Shigeru Miyamoto on the back of the GameCube's launch box
tumblr_o848yb8uhS1rl04amo1_500.gif

Top Bottom