• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

MUST READ: "Capcom's NEW (but, sad in my opinion) direction in incoming Games: 'ALL SOCIAL GAMES!'"

This_IZ_Sparda!

I'm thinking... NO, I'm totally negative on this matter. What's going on? Losing sight on innovative gameplay for action, adventure, or anything that isn't like Sims or whatever?? Is the Japanese market that totally SHIFTED towards simple chibi characters that go *bloop* with their speech bubbles and, say, "wanna grab some coffee and go to the karaoke after?" I'm not against social games, but i wouldn't want to see great companies to just go, "Hey, let's make our games all Sims-like."
*Again, don't take every word I'm saying too literal and personal. I won't put up with anyone trying to tell me off that Social Games are like Sims.*
Let me just copy and paste exactly what was said:
capsoc.png

"Capcom has published a suitably worshipful interview with their very own Kazunori Sugiura, “General Manager of Division 2, Consumer Games Development” and generalissimo of the company’s social gaming efforts:

First of all, could you explain an overview of the current social game market?

I have to say that nobody knows what the domestic social game market will be like three months later, as it is changing very rapidly.

Previously, the market was led by card battle games that are easy to monetize.

But now, games of other genres or titles focusing on game elements have become hits. I think successful games have one thing in common: They are “easy to play, but have more to play than they look”.

So there is no shift away from social games, right?

No. The definition of social games is different from person to person.

One may think that gacha (the mechanism of selling random in-game items) is synonymous with social games, and another may think that social games are card battles.

At Capcom, we define social games as means for facilitating communication among users and something in which game elements and monetization are involved.

From this standpoint, we think that all games will be basically social in future.

Although it is not surprising to see the manager of Capcom’s social gaming division insisting social gaming is the future (despite collapsing profits and mass lay-offs at a number of industry leaders), amongst actual gamers there is much scepticism – and fears that Capcom may end up the next Square Enix…

Fortunately, Capcom plans many exciting card battle games based on its flagship franchises to make sure this is not the case:

What are your popular social game titles right now?

We have operated a game under the title of “Resident Evil: Outbreak Survive” for more than two years. It has more than two million members and has maintained high popularity. The success comes from the advantage as a pioneer, active in-game event hosting, and timely operation.

What kind of game content have you released recently?

Our latest releases are “Monster Hunter Hunting Quest” and “Street Fighter X All Capcom”. Both are easy-to-play card battles.

They are based on action or fighting games and have simplified manipulation for smartphones, but share the same world view, staging, and community development as the console versions.

“Monster Hunter Hunting Quest” exceeded 500,000 downloads about one month after the service started and has been high in the sales ranking. This is a card battle based on an action game, and it wins support from a large number of original game fans. I think this is a factor in its success.

What kind of content are you planning to release in the future?

We are planning to release a smartphone app, “Monhan Itsudemo Airou Life”, and a web-based, full-scale card battle game, “Monster Hunter Roar of Cards”.
So, tell me what you guys think, coz i already said my thoughts... and will probably take action soon.:frown:

If you need proof, i got it from this site: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2014/01/13/capcom-all-games-will-be-social/
Be Warned there are some obscenity there.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Cards Battles? No thank you Capcom! I thought we were past all of that stuff (Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!...Digimon)
It just smacks of desperation to earn money.

Namco Bandai released an 'online social' Tekken Card game (they charged for cards and 'booster packs'). I'd rather play Tekken on a console.

I have no desire for that sort of 'social gaming' (or card games).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This is nothing new for any Japanese company. Social, mobile, installation, and cabinet games are a vastly more lucrative field in the East than here in the west. Case in point, our arcades are nearly dead, while they continue to thrive in Japan, and while be belittle social games, they embrace them. Although, they actually make social and mobile games worth playing, whereas we're stuck with shallow junk like Angry Birds and candy crush.

Everyone yammers about Capcom failing but, they forget how many things in Japan alone they do to turn a profit. Not to mention the insane popularity of Monster Hunter in the East, I don't think Capcom could fail just thanks to the profits from every Monster Hunter endeavor they've invested in alone.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
CAPCOM themselves seem to worry so much about selling their games to a Western market, at least if some of the press shots are anything to go by, and their reasons put forward in them for the things they've been doing with some franchises. They're a Japanese company; it makes more sense for them to focus on Japan if they're not doing great outside it.

Personally I prefer their games made for a Japanese audience over the ones they make and then try to change to sell elsewhere

CAPCOM themselves seem to worry so much about selling their games to a Western market, at least if some of the press shots are anything to go by, and their reasons put forward in them for the things they've been doing with some franchises. They're a Japanese company; it makes more sense for them to focus on Japan if they're not doing great outside it.

Personally I prefer their games made for a Japanese audience over the ones they make and then try to change to sell elsewhere

Personally,I agree with you.
Not everything Western is also absolutely good.Just like not everything Japanese is better than Western.
Anyway those from the Western market seem to be full of themselves and their products,and now that some Japanese companies are literally seeking to appeal to the western audience when it comes to video games,it's even more of a sign that they are depending on them in order to gain success,when they should reach it themselves.
I can understand that from time to time collaboration between them two is a nice idea,but why aren't they trying to be original in their own way,in their own style? Not everything has to be made western or even japanese in order to be 'cool' and to appeal to the 'hard to please' audience. (yet,I admit I like from time to time a combination of it)

seraphmaycry

capcom also mentioned that their definition isn't just card games, i'm worried about games becoming "easy to play" this usually lowers the ceiling tenfold.

still i wouldn't mind sharing dmc3 gameplay vids without any capture card nonsense and dmc pvp, so it's not all bad.

i DO mind dmc becoming like call of duty, random angry teens yelling "hacking cheating (insert string of curses here)" who think they are soooo good because they are always matched with players of an equal k/d ratio and need to be SERIOUSLY destroyed (im talking hundreds of futile deaths for them to listen) for them to actually realize that they aren't sooo great and stop blaming players being on good on "cheapness, hacking, cheater, n00b etc"

i am however NOT worried about lowering the entry bar, devil may cry 3 should have been more well-known, now whenever i even say "devil may cry" people think of an ok action game called "DmC" i don't think DmC is a devil may cry game, it's a DmC game, which is why bloody palace wasn't even considered, devil may cry would be great to share with the world.

anyway, if they REALLY wanna make cash, just create a military shooter, create some hot girls so they can get even MORE people going "buuuuuuy!" and there, you are is am now "good" developers.

Everyone yammers about Capcom failing but, they forget how many things in Japan alone they do to turn a profit. Not to mention the insane popularity of Monster Hunter in the East, I don't think Capcom could fail just thanks to the profits from every Monster Hunter endeavor they've invested in alone.
I love how even popular youtube commentators get in on this clickbait action. I remember the stupidest thing that was parroted by so many big youtubers: "Capcom only has 152 million that's like not even ENOUGH TO FINANCE GTA V." It's like they were all using the same script.

Look people, Capcom is worth over a billion dollars, cash on hand vs cash flow vs net value of company are huge components in determining the financial solvency of a corporation. Honestly, I think some people in the game media should just stick to talking about games and not try to comment on complex financial statements when they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

The Final Offer

Oh,hell no.

He's what got me into Capcom games. (Super Nintendo)

I love how even popular youtube commentators get in on this clickbait action. I remember the stupidest thing that was parroted by so many big youtubers: "Capcom only has 152 million that's like not even ENOUGH TO FINANCE GTA V." It's like they were all using the same script.

Look people, Capcom is worth over a billion dollars, cash on hand vs cash flow vs net value of company are huge components in determining the financial solvency of a corporation. Honestly, I think some people in the game media should just stick to talking about games and not try to comment on complex financial statements when they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

When it comes to finances in companies, always stray away from rumors.

This_IZ_Sparda!

Not everything Western is also absolutely good.Just like not everything Japanese is better than Western.
Anyway those from the Western market seem to be full of themselves and their products,and now that some Japanese companies are literally seeking to appeal to the western audience when it comes to video games,it's even more of a sign that they are depending on them in order to gain success,when they should reach it themselves.
I can understand that from time to time collaboration between them two is a nice idea,but why aren't they trying to be original in their own way,in their own style? Not everything has to be made western or even japanese in order to be 'cool' and to appeal to the 'hard to please' audience. (yet,I admit I like from time to time a combination of it)
well i do think that DmC and RE4 might be the BEST examples of those combinations you mentioned. (even though, a lot of people don't like DmC)

This_IZ_Sparda!

It's both Square Enix and Capcom. I'm thinking other companies might end up this way in Japan. Based on what I've read, I've come up with a few assumptions here. Although i respect the Japanese culture despite my rants (i mean I really do guess aside from the economic, i guess cultural dynamics plays a MAJOR part in the direction Japanese games are going), I think it's coz they're:

1) Too busy with work (and school). Yes, work and business is MAJOR factor in Japanese culture. Although admirable that they are dedicated to bring food on the table and honor to the family, it almost literally eats up their lives, other companies requiring their employees to work nearly 10 hours in the office. Since i tutor English to Japanese online, we sometimes share stories about their lives, most of which involve work. One student mentioned that after studying abroad for more than 5 years, she came back to Japan only to feel culturally shocked with the work life. In relation to gaming, a few other students (the youngest being a teenager), mentioned that they do know anime and games but are too busy to play them. I've had a few who admitted that the latest game they knew was Metroid Prime.

2) Nostalgic... with things.. I dunno.. Although, I'm not totally sure whether this is a fact or not, so it's up to you guys to take my word on this and back me up here with further info, or not. Again, this is a limited assumption of mine. One of the things i DO love about the Japanese culture is that they're generally peaceful and kind, well, nowadays that is. And the whole good, nostalgic feelings (ye ol' kimochii they got going there).. their philosophies and stuff are all based on this notion. So, maybe (and I mean MAYBE) that's why the gaming market is going down the drain. Coz it's not appealing to the audiences anymore.
*i could've sworn i've read about this somewhere

3) in relation to the other two: Yeah, money making schemes. *Please refer to other comments and the article itself*

I appreciate the good in all cultures. And i do agree with what MephistoCarnival said here:

But personally, I can't help but feel bad that these companies that i've grown to love and appreciate over the years have taken a turn for the wor-- *ahem fine, to come across balanced here* --to JUST SEEK CERTAIN TARGET AUDIENCE AND APPEAL THEM TO EARN MONEY. *a lot of wordiness there but, i've made my point.*

This_IZ_Sparda!

you guys might wanna check out the links and read the users' comments for more insights... *just don't get distracted by the 'other things' there*
anyway, here's another insight on Japanese Game company (an older article):
and i quote:

Square Enix “Will Focus On Social Gaming”

kaku-san-sei_million_arthur-card-by-nardack-468x655.jpg

After having posted the worst losses in its history and sacking its CEO, Square Enix has announced its new focus will be social games.

Its final balance sheet for the last fiscal year showed an operating loss of 6 billion yen – the first time since the merger with Enix that the company has posted an operating loss – and total losses stood at 13.7 billion yen, the worst result in its history.

Most of these losses stemmed from writing off all the games it has cancelled over the last year.

Square Enix maintains its problems had nothing to do with it – according to group manager Michihiro Sasaki’s statements at a recent press conference, the massive slump in its revenues was because of “intense environmental change,” and its concentration on console and arcade games slowed its progress in the field of social and online gaming, damaging the company’s performance, whilst North American video game sales were “stagnant.”

He emphasised that for the next financial year “the driver will be social games,” and that the company is expecting to return to profitability by focusing on social gaming, forecasting profits of 3.5-6 billion yen next year.

Markets have actually responded favourably to the news, although the company’s shares still trade at rock-bottom lows:
square-enix-stock-price-2-468x202.gif

square-enix-stock-price-1-468x202.gif

source: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2013/05/14/square-enix-will-focus-on-social-gaming/
*again, watch out for "distractions"

I'm not trying to understand fully about financials here.. just posting exactly what was said.

Top Bottom