• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Most trivial reason you heard for hating a game

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Well that certainly doesn't sound like traditional JRPG to me.

Well i can describe it best as a Snake&laders or ludo where you just spin the dice and expect to win 0% strategy required.

Just like how MMO's are just like aquariums where you just gawk at your goldfish without actually doing anything fun.

Okay on the first one about Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG, and Mother/Earthbound. So a traditional JRPG would just be pick from Attack, Magic, Items, and maybe Special and pretty much everything besides bosses require a lot of strategy like knowing their weaknesses. Would Pokemon qualify then? Final Fantasy probably popularized the trend at first before deviating with different combat systems.

For the second, are you referring to Final Fantasy X's and X-2's combat system or Type-0's? I feel like you lumped both of them together. X and X-2 were the closest things to older, traditional Final Fantasies (and JRPGs) with it's turn-based combat. Type-0 is like taking Kingdom Hearts? and slowing it down to something like Demon's and Dark Souls.

Recent MMO's include Tribes: Ascend, Warframe, Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2, Path of Exile, Continent of the Ninth, TERA, Blade & Soul, Rusty Hearts, and Blacklight Retribution. They cover a wide range of genres now unlike before where it was mostly MMORPGs - bad ones at that. Now we have MMOFPS, MMOTPS, MMO-Action RPG, MMO-Beat em' Ups, etc. So we don't have to deal with Everquest, World of Warcraft, clones of WOW, grindfest MMORPGs. Though it can be debatable since Path of Exile is essential a F2P version of Diablo and Tribes: Ascend does not include massive battlegrounds like Planetside 2. Guild Wars 2, TERA, Blade & Soul, and Continent of the Ninth while being MMORPGs change the traditional point and click or skill spamfest with more interactive combat systems, but they're still limited by the genre. Yay for MMO being a broader term...

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
So a traditional JRPG would just be pick from Attack, Magic, Items, and maybe Special and pretty much everything besides bosses require a lot of strategy like knowing their weaknesses
Well.. that's almost in every other RPG actually.. what differentiates it is that it has outdated modules like long,tepid useless texts and story cutscenes and its gameplay is simply restricted to just one position where you just take turns and attack.

and i'm just surprised to see that there are so many of these RPG's in Japan still being made.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Well.. that's almost in every other RPG actually.. what differentiates it is that it has outdated modules like long,tepid useless texts and story cutscenes and its gameplay is simply restricted to just one position where you just take turns and attack.

and i'm just surprised to see that there are so many of these RPG's in Japan still being made.

I'm not surprised since for some people, that system is good enough that it does not need change, but that's some people. There are still games being made on the PSP in Japan along with dated RPGs. Then again that's like saying there are shooters still being made despite the over-saturation in America. How many games like Mirror's Edge do we have? Not a lot compared to games similar to Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Also, what's the difference between having long, unneeded text and long, unneeded monologues? I like detail when it's necessary like in the end when the antagonist apologizes after seeing his error or when a madman rants with a disturbing, morbidly funny, and captivating speech on murder. You knows its great writing when a villain compares murder with cheese, goats, and plastic forks - note that this speech probably does not exist as far as I know. If it's interesting or holds relevance to the plot or themes of the game, then I don't see much of a problem with text and voice acting being long. Now if like an 8 page essay on how to attack using the pink, right-most, circular button with a square on it, then that's getting ridiculous. Same thing with a 3 hour tutorial be it in text, voice, or both. We can assume the average, dumb human can figure out how to press "start" without much trouble, developers.

Whatever, at least in the sea of clones, similar games, crappy rip offs, there are games that change the formula. Vanquish and third person shooters. Final Fantasy Tactics, which I hear great things about, but don't know much about, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Borderlands, Mother/Earthbound and RPGs. Or that Norwegian game where you play as a toddler and horror games which traditionally were bloody scary and sometimes psychologically and bloody scary to now gore-fests and jump-scares. This game takes a pure psychological horror stance; putting yourself as a little kid in dark areas with creepy shadows and sounds.

On-topic again:
- The Legend of Zelda and Navi, Tatl, Midna, and Fi. The four "annoying" backseat drivers of the 3D Zelda series. First off, I never really found Navi annoying, who is the template for the backseat drivers. Tatl barely said anything since Majora's Mask assumes you played Ocarina of Time before and Tatl is just there to remind you of things. That and be a reluctant accomplice to Link and growing into a caring, though sharp companion. Midna was by definition: badass and beautiful. She created the template of having backseat drivers with significant plot relevance; Midna's the titular Twilight Princess. Midna's sassy, deceptive, and ferocious. What's not to love about her? Fi's story is sad. She's another emotionless being who through her interactions with emotional beings gains her own humanity except its too late. Yes, Skyward Sword had tons of reminders and annoying tutorials that you can sometimes not skip, but outside of that Fi's not annoying. Personally, I think Fi is a wonderful character with a beautiful theme. Sadly enough, these characters - single characters of their own games - create enough hate for game like Vaan did for Final Fantasy XII or Raiden and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Then again that's like saying there are shooters still being made despite the over-saturation in America. How many games like Mirror's Edge do we have? Not a lot compared to games similar to Battlefield and Call of Duty.
Well that's a whole new problem.. but i suppose it can be said that games like walking dead,minecraft freshen the stale market.

But i assure you that sooner or later this FPS fad will be over .
Also, what's the difference between having long, unneeded text and long, unneeded monologues?
Well its text.. text is booooring and not every game has the gripping and clever dialogs fast-forwarding through dialogs feels like a chore.

I love YS games but its dialogs are just Sh!tty and the story is bare-bones and 90% of time i can't SKIP IT !
Ys-Origin-Review-Steam-Digitally-Downloaded-Screenshot-2.jpg
I'm like GOD STFU AND LET ME PLAY THE GAME ! AARGH !

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
For me, I can't take anyone's opinion seriously on why they hate a game when they literally know NOTHING about it. Not even read a review or seen it in action or picked up a controller.

Fair play if you're not INTERESTED in a title, but to outright hate or dislike it based on...nothing...is daft. Or even worse, basing it on someone else's views without looking into it yourself is ridiculous. I have no problem with people saying why they don't want to give it a go because that's fair enough and not every game suits every person's tastes and abilities. But when you get someone yelling how much they despise a title without knowing anything more than its name or who made it...yeah, you lost me there.

Super90sgamer

"There is no hardcore Kinect games" Even they make hardcore games on Kinect, Do you think the hardcore gamer can get their arses from the couch & keep the pace with the gameplay? Never gonna happend.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
For me, I can't take anyone's opinion seriously on why they hate a game when they literally know NOTHING about it. Not even read a review or seen it in action or picked up a controller.

Fair play if you're not INTERESTED in a title, but to outright hate or dislike it based on...nothing...is daft. Or even worse, basing it on someone else's views without looking into it yourself is ridiculous. I have no problem with people saying why they don't want to give it a go because that's fair enough and not every game suits every person's tastes and abilities. But when you get someone yelling how much they despise a title without knowing anything more than its name or who made it...yeah, you lost me there.

This reminds me of people "challenging" books when they have not even read a single page from the book and yet, the book gets banned. Really? I was on the pro-Battlefield/any shooter except Call of Duty and anti-Call of Duty bandwagon until I played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. To be fair, it's a good game, but nothing close to a masterpiece or a pile of buffalo crap. I see why people like it and I see why people don't like it and then I start to question why people put it on a pedestal of hate or love. Same thing can be said with Final Fantasy XIII where I was pro-Final Fantasy Versus XIII since I thought at the time that all turn-based/traditional RPGs were crap compared to action-RPGs, which is mostly my fault for not knowing how to play RPGs properly. I have no idea how I got that idea and how I even managed to get through the halfway points of Final Fantasy X and XII. Now, I can't say anything is bad until I actually experience it, except for Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, etc. since it's just fun to rip on them for no reason and I harbor no actual hatred to them.

NSFW!
I mean come on, tell me this isn't hilarious: Duke Nukem Reads 50 Shades of Grey or Gilbert Gottfried Reads 50 Shades of Grey.

I hate a game I often blame for being too tedious, uninteresting and unattractive, and the content is not good, so I often play other new games at the store androidrub.com to change. and a newer experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom