• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Misogyny and The Devil May Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Snippety snip
This is either a well done troll or the actual Patricia Hernandez, writer for Kotaku and known for her trolltastic articles.

Either way, this thread is hilarious.

59NqfF7.gif

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This has to be an intricate troll.

Not really that intricate. I also never understand why trolling gets to a length such as this. Like...trolling is supposed to be about riling people up on a topic you care little to nothing about. How can one waste so much time on something they don't care about, just for amusement.

Sh!t, you could watch an episode of Full House in the time it takes to do something like this, and Uncle Joey is still more hilarious. Heheheh...he's sounds like Bullwinkle...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The eye candy argument I always find defunct. Nobody is ever gonna stop perving/lusting after sexy people, male or female, real or unreal. Just add some male eye candy if there isn't enough to match the female, and give them a job to do other than just being eye candy, and everyone should be a little happier. Or just don't flaunt the flesh as much. DMC2's heroine - perfect example. I like Lucia's character, and they didn't have to turn her into a sex object to make me.
The thing is, society teaches that females are sexy, that they look hot, that females can be used to advertise because men will pay attention. It's insulting to men. Adverts saying 'wear this body spray and ladies will totally want to shag you'. What does that say about guys....they are easily manipulated by a pair of tits. >_< Guys are tits-zombies...
I don't really know if society uses men to advertise in the same way.. I've seen a few ads with topless guys to sell products to ladies, but not many.

Kyrie was really covered with clothes, but her personality was so boring and so was her outfit. She was a fail of a different kind. The helpless damsel in distress and hero bait.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i personally find this thread hilarious but ill throw in my two cents in for lols

Kat is a seperate, independant and inteligent female character. if you want evidence for this look at the scene where the SWAT has invaded the order and is searching for kat. there comes a point where one spots her and goes around to take her out. Dante (seeing this) tells Kat to hide. does she do this? NO she takes a risk and takes action allowing dante to take out that SWAT man and do much more good than if on his own. so there. im done on that note: let the games begin
tumblr_m3x8ed1afY1r1i4fy.gif

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The thing is, society teaches that females are sexy, that they look hot, that females can be used to advertise because men will pay attention. It's insulting to men. Adverts saying 'wear this body spray and ladies will totally want to shag you'. What does that say about guys....they are easily manipulated by a pair of tits. >_< Guys are tits-zombies...
I don't really know if society uses men to advertise in the same way.. I've seen a few ads with topless guys to sell products to ladies, but not many.

...clearly you have never seen Ouran Host Club...a fangirl's eye candy GALORE. XD

Kyrie was really covered with clothes, but her personality was so boring and so was her outfit. She was a fail of a different kind. The helpless damsel in distress and hero bait.

yeah, the fact she got all ove maybe five to ten minutes screen time...if even that...doesn't help. She was just...well..orihime designed in a more real life fashion...like...even her outfit.

Yeah...

Dante47

This is interesting. This is my take...
Patricia, get off your high horse and stop over-analyzing things. I doubt many of us here care.

V

Oldschool DMC fan

They're already doing it with men now though, because women are learning to treat/expect men in the same way openly. Or else what was that shot of Dante flying naked through the air all about...? ;)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
This is interesting. This is my take...
Patricia, get off your high horse and stop over-analyzing things. I doubt many of us here care.
Besides, I think a few of us have refuted her claims too. ^_^ Waitng for the rebuttal now....if it ever comes.:/ And honestly, if this really is the same person from Kotaku then.....:blink:>_< I found an article by her about lack of women in Sony and this post on the forum doesn't seem her style. What's on the forum seems like baseless, unreasonable ranting with an axe to grind against guys.
http://kotaku.com/5986025/the-lack-of-women-presenters-at-the-ps4-event-is-bigger-than-sony

They're already doing it with men now though, because women are learning to treat/expect men in the same way openly. Or else what was that shot of Dante flying naked through the air all about...? ;)
I found that part just funny, not hot. I was thinking, 'this is so over the top funny'. And don't tell me Mundus doing his thing was meant to appeal to ladies...>_<

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

...girl gamer Eye candy and sheer over the top hilariousness? Exactly what it was? Same thing Topless Dante in DMC3 was for?

Dominus

Besides, I think a few of us have refuted her claims too. ^_^ Waitng for the rebuttal now....if it ever comes.:/ And honestly, if this really is the same person from Kotaku then.....:blink:>_< I found an article by her about lack of women in Sony and this post on the forum doesn't seem her style. What's on the forum seems like baseless, unreasonable ranting with an axe to grind against guys.
http://kotaku.com/5986025/the-lack-of-women-presenters-at-the-ps4-event-is-bigger-than-sony
Only something kotaku would write an article about. Game journalism at its finest!

EllDawn

For one thing, I am a feminist, just not an extremist, and I didn't even see much offensive about this game. I loved it, actually. Kat showed she had her own mind, intelligence and was the one that was actually the key to bringing down Mundus. At least she wasn't the cliche damsel in distress, or the air-head twit that's just a body and nothing else.

Lilith was a demon I assumed was weak to begin with and was striving for power. As was said earlier, she was more of what women should avoid being. I tend to believe she was using Mundus as much as he was using her. There was no love between them. Whether some people want to believe it or not, there are women like that.

Eva actually had more to do with this than Sparda, in a way. She was the one that told Dante what he needed to hear. Not Sparda. They might call Dante the son of Sparda, but that's the extent of it. It was Eva that told him what he needed to fight for. She wasn't weak and not a whore.

As for the symbols explained by the opening poster, you're really reading too much into everything. Then again, you also see what you want. You look for insults, you'll find them. You want phallic symbols, that's what you're going to find.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium

I found that part just funny, not hot. I was thinking, 'this is so over the top funny'. And don't tell me Mundus doing his thing was meant to appeal to ladies...>_<

Also, if it is her, i think she forgot how to spell her name (unless she wanted to write the rant sooo badly that she mispelt it with rage)>.>... then again, she'll have a big problem with mine :lol:

TheJoy

Smile with me.
Shortly after, we are introduced to the phallocentric imagery that will dominate this game when Dante's tattoo (a "sword" aka "penis" penetrating an orb) glows. This same tattoo will later cast a magical spell summoning a real "sword", on top of our "hero" acquiring a pair of pistols to round out his arsenal of mighty cock stand-ins.

I'm someone who believes in gender equality and if you are looking for that in a video game DmC is not one of them.

But I have to ask:
If the sword and guns are representative of a penis, then what would be a female equivalent? What would we have instead? The knife is one of the earliest tool that humanity created at the beginning of civilisation, to provide us with food and warmth. (Hunting for meat and animal skins).

To me they are weapons that the protagonist is using. Would it make is better if Kat had a gun also? If not why?

Yeah, I call hate troll. Kat's potrayed in a much more even light than, say, Kyrie(helpless Damsel) or Lady in DMC4(trashily dressed money monger who has Dante do her work for her)...or Trish in DMC1(backstabbing Femme Fatale). I'd say classic DMC is worse on the portray of woman, since at least DmC acknowledge that the twins would have been BONED without Kat. in classic, Dante is actually hindered half the time by them

I have to say that in the DMC series,Trish, Lucia and Lady are not helpless, damsel in distress and will kill you if you mess with them. Where as Kat is never shown to fight, pick up a weapon or defend her self. (Granted when the police stomp on her, she had no choice but to let them or be shot on the spot) but compared to the DMC women, she's doesn't have any equality to the guys what so ever.

Tell, me what is your ideal of a strong female character? I'm really interested.

You seem to have a problem with women looking sexy and kicking ass. Granted DMC is a bit showy but it is balanced with the fact the grils can kick ass. If they just looked slutty and was also a damsel in distress and uselss, then i'd have a problem.

Here's a question.
Why is it ok for a man to walk around shirtless or to tear off his shirt and come off as strong and power full but it's wrong for a woman to do so?

Manvswomen_zps1325b717.jpg

A woman can be just as powerful as a man even with her clevage showing.

If you wanna talk about characterisation, the DMC grils are still stronger than DmC Kat. Kat is more of a Macguffin, she moves plot on and nothing more. She is competed for and she has no say in the matter shifting hands like a possession. She doesn't exert her self, she has to be save and in the end she if fought over by the men.

Kat clearly has no equal ground to DmC Dante and Virgil.

Dante47

Kat clearly has no equal ground to DmC Dante and Virgil.
Most likely because the story centers around the relationship between Dante and Vergil, and how they came at odds with one another. Kat isn't supposed to be the strong female character, but to represent all of humanity, so I assume that's why she isn't as competent as Dante and Vergil, who represent angels and demons. It's her that gives Dante a reason to defend mankind.

WorkenOnMaLeft

Do you feel that the positive representation of women in entertainment doesn't matter?

Is your belief in male supremacy feeling threatened?
I have a question: Do you honestly think that constantly nagging about how everything somewhat penis shaped or the tiniest semblance of a sex reference will somehow make you look like anything EXCEPT a weak woman?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
My wide-hipped, tit-bearing, leather-wearing, game-cliched visage finds this thread to be a little ridiculous. Okay, a lot so. Why can't we just play games for fun? If we start looking for sexism, we'll just find it everywhere and life is too short to worry about this kind of stuff.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
This thread is so funny.

Also, allow me to leave these anime where women are pretty much the main characters and are strong
Miria-Teresa-and-Helen-claymore-anime-and-manga-28807840-1680-1050.jpg

bla.jpg

infinite-stratos-3070947.jpg

Male character's the only guy who can even USE a robot armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom