• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mass Effect 2 Review (PS3)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
NOTE: THIS REVIEW WILL BE 70% SAME AS MY XBOX 360 REVIEW. I WILL ADD ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR THE PS3 VERSION IN THE QUOTATION BOXES.

Mass Effect 2 is probably one of the best Action RPG games that I have ever played. It was a vast improvement from the original game, Mass Effect.

Storyline

screenshot-052-o.jpg

As the first game, you will be controlling Commander Shepard in a quest of eliminating the Reapers.​

The game starts few weeks after Mass Effect. During a patrol, Shepard's ship, the Normandy is under attack by an unknown spaceship. The unknown spaceship totally obliterated the ship, while Shepard orders anyone who survives to evacuate. Unfortunately, before he is able to evacuate himself, the ship has been destroyed, creating an explosion and a debris damaged Shepard's armour. This in effect, killed Shepard in the space vacuum.

Each main characters have their own side missions which has something to do to affect their own personalities (except one or two) and their own histories. Each of it are beautifully told with emotional storytelling. This, in turn, gives us insight on how they become to be, giving them rather realistic personalities.

As you can see, the first Mass Effect has a great story. This one is no exception, except even better, in my opinion. As I said in above paragraph, your crew (Garrus, Jacob, Miranda, etc.) has their own stories to be told and own side mission to complete. I would dare say that by doing their side missions, the story felt more complete when you are finishing the game.

However, there is one problem. With the freedom of choosing outcomes to affect the story, it is hard to guess which path that you take is canon to the Mass Effect universe. However, I can only say that there is only one ending is not canon, and other endings will lead to Mass Effect 3, eventually.

Regardless, the story is well told, epic, awesome, and can be shaped by your own choices. Although different choices affect certain outcomes, the core of the story will remain unchanged, and this includes the ending. So, it is up to you to shape the game's story, and it is rather satisfying to do that.

605239_20101215_screen001.jpg

PS3 players does not need to fret about not playing the first Mass Effect in order to get the whole idea of how the story carries out. The interactive comic, Mass Effect: Genesis, covers 90% of the contents from the first Mass Effect game.​

As you all may know, there is no Mass Effect for PS3 as it is copyrighted by Microsoft. This applies to the Xbox 360 version, but not the PC version as it is owned by EA. In other words, PS3 players will not be able to enjoy Mass Effect experience as the game is not available for PS3.

However, fear not, as BioWare did a smart move by releasing an interactive comic called Mass Effect: Genesis, that covers 90% of the events happened in the first game. The length of the comic is around 15 minutes, and you can sit back and enjoy the story narration by Shepard (male or female) as he/she explains the events in Mass Effect one by one.

However, there are several key decisions that you need to choose in order it to be carried out while playing Mass Effect 2. Although it sounds simple, one decision can greatly alters the storyline in the game.

Here are the choices you need to make during the interactive comic:

Spoilers ahead
1. Who is your love interest?

A. Ash or Liara for male Shepard.
B. Kaidan or Liara for female Shepard.
C. A neutral choice that allows you to not have any love interests.

2. Should Rachni Queen in Noveria to escape or get killed by Shepard?

A. Yes
B. No

3. What happens to Urdnot Wrex on Virmire?

A. Lives
B. Dies

4. Who will be sacrificed on Virmire to save the other person's team?

A. Ash
B. Kaiden

5. What is your decision for the Council during the Battle of the Citadel?

A. Save the Council, at the cost of many human lives.
B. Let the Council die, with the expense of their own lives and let the humans take over as the new Council.

6. Who do you want to be the humans' representative?

A. Anderson
B. Udina

This is a smart move to allow the PS3 players to have general yet rich details of the events of the first Mass Effect. It proves to be a great alternative than playing Mass Effect on another console.

Gameplay

m3-01-o.jpg

Your decisions will still affect each outcomes in this game. If you transfer the Mass Effect save file to this game, the choices that you made in the first game will be included in the second one as well.​

If you transferred the save file from the first Mass Effect game to this game, you will get various bonuses, like bonus credits, extra Paragon and Renegade points, etc. It is highly recommended that you transfer the save file, as it is to keep in continuity from the first game. However, one thing should be noted. If a certain member in the first game is already dead, he or she will stay dead in Mass Effect 2, and vice versa. If you feel that your Mass Effect save file is good enough, transfer it to the second game for a great gaming experience. You can also start a new game instead of transferring the first Mass Effect game if you wish to do that.

m100-01-o.jpg

The important changes from the first game makes the second one much better with improved gameplay.​

Like the first game, this is an Action RPG, with some modifications from the first game.

You don't have to wait for your weapons to cool down after firing. However, you must 'reload' with thermal clips. Thermal clips is used to cool down your weapons, and it can be considered as your 'ammo'. Most enemies drop it when they are killed, or certain places have it in the battlefield.

Instead of using grenades, Shepard can use Heavy Weapons. Heavy weapons are devastating, and it is useful to take down a group of enemies or bosses. However, ammo for heavy weapons are scarce, so it would be best if you conserve it until you fight bosses or other difficult enemies.

Another change is that you have self health regeneration. If you are damaged critically, you can sit in cover and wait for your health to recover itself. This also applies to your teammates. In the first game, medi-gel is used to heal yourself and your party. However, it is only needed to revive your party members if they are in KO status.

The cover system is much simpler than the first game, just go to a wall, or a small one, press a button, then Shepard will be in cover, protecting him from most damage. Like any other games, covers are important for offense and defense, so use it wisely.

You can also target enemy's body parts with varying damage. Shooting in the head can do major damage, shooting in the leg may cripple them, yet alive.

There is no customization for your weapons unlike the first one. This is much better, as the first game's weapon system are rather confusing and messed up. However, you can change equipments for Shepard and other members, as well as their appearances.

You can use powers like Unity as in the first game. However, powers in this game recharges faster than normal, making it more useful than the first game. You can also combine your power with your two squad members for maximum effect.

Also, you do not need to use the Mako (a space tank car) to explore. Instead, you will be sent directly to any cities or dungeons in each planet. This actually saves a lot of frustration, unlike the first game.

I like the new changes from the first game. This gives better gaming experience, in my opinion. The changes make this much more action paced, with better pacing.

screenshot-041-o.jpg

You have two choices. One, convince him nicely using a Paragon option. Two, beat him up using a Renegade option. The choice is yours.​

Like the first game, conversations play a major role in telling the game's story. Decisions will effectively affect most outcomes, and will decide whether you are a Paragon or Renegade. By choosing a positive choice/response, you can get Paragon points, and will also make you become more popular. If you make a negative choice/response, you will get Renegade points, and you will get more notoriety than usual.

As the first game, Shepard has Paragon points and Renegade points. Doing good deeds will net you Paragon points, and doing evil deeds will net you Renegade points. By getting high Paragon or Renegade points, you have access to exclusive choices for certain conversations, which can be very important. For example, by getting high Renegade points, you can persuade someone in a shop to give you a discount, which is a good deed. This also in turn, will net you bonus Paragon points. This also applies to Renegade points. Paragon and Renegade choices affect the outcome of the story heavily, so think wisely whether you should be in Paragon path or Renegade path. Before making any decisions/responses/choices, you can inquire from the person for further information which may relates to the game's story and universe.

You can also do Paragon and Renegade interrupts. By doing one of this interrupts, you can get extra Paragon and Renegade points as well. This also affect certain outcomes in a mission. For example, by saving a certain someone using a Paragon interrupt, you will save that person's life from the eventual outcome of an event where he is supposed to be dead. This also applies to Renegade interrupt, so plan accordingly.

Romance subplots are also available in this game. If you have romanced someone from the first game and you transferred the file to this game, the romance will remain. However, you can choose to romance another person to abandon the old one. In other words, being unfaithful, or cheating, as they say.

screenshot-057-o.jpg

Plan accordingly on which new ability a character should learn.​

You have character levels in this game as well. By gaining a level, you will receive points. The points are needed to learn new powers. As each characters have different sets of powers to learn, so it would be wise each character to learn a different one from another.

soldier-01-o.jpg

Experiment on each powers that your squad member have on your enemies to determine their effects.
In battle, there are many types of enemies. Organic, synthetic, different races play a part in this. For example, krogan enemies have self regeneration if they are still alive. Robots have high defense, and can only be brought down by hitting their critical points. You need different strategies to defeat each type of enemies. Your powers also useful on defeating them. For example, Incinerate works well on armored enemies. Some enemies have Barrier and Armor as their extra layer of health. You need to destroy either one of them (or both) to damage directly to their health. Using powers is essentially important to take down enemy Barriers and Armors. Bosses especially have both Armor and Barrier as their extra health, so use the right powers to defeat them.

In this game, you will be doing Missions as well. Different missions have different objectives. However, most of the missions are involving recruiting someone, yet the process to do it are varied in a number of ways. As I said before, Paragon and Renegade choices can affect some outcomes in each missions. There is a lot of variety to the missions, which makes the game feel more fresh and non repetitive.

However, traversing from a planet to another is cumbersome, and it is the same one like the first game. You can also get minerals from uninhabited planets to get upgrades for your squad, your ship, etc by scanning the planets. It is a rather tedious task to get the minerals for your upgrades, but it is still acceptable.

Shops now sell a variety of items. You can buy weapon upgrades, personal armor upgrades, etc for your squad. Some characters have their own exclusive upgrades, which they can use it for better advantage. It is recommended you get those to increase your winning chances.

The gameplay is a massive improvement than the first game. I love the new changes, and I loved how good it is. My only complaints are the tedious planet scannings, as well as some minor bugs and glitches. As in the first game, I always find myself addicted to this game's conversations as they are amazing, emotional, etc. Regardless, this is a great game.

605239_20110114_screen023.jpg

The PS3 version has all of the previous DLCs included for free, including Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord, and other great stuffs.​

The PS3 version has a number of DLCs included, such as extra missions like Lair of the Shadow Broker. Also, you have access to new weapons, armour, etc as bonuses. You can also recruit the two DLC characters, Zaaed Massini and Kasumi Goto.

Unfortunately, all of this bonus stuff is included in a DLC that you need to download from the PlayStation Store. Every copies for Mass Effect 2 for PS3 has a redemption code, which allows you to download the DLC pack, called Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Pack for free. Please take note that the DLC pack has 636 MB storage space, so it may takes a while to download it, depending on your Internet connection speed. Also, Mass Effect: Genesis is also included in Cerberus Pack. In other words, if you do not download the Cerberus Pack, you will be starting the Mass Effect 2 game using the default storyline, which is not desirable from most people.

I think BioWare made the wrong move. A single Blu-Ray disc can easily fit all of the DLC content as it is only 636 MB, yet they chose not to store it in the disc, and sells it on PS Store. If you do not use the redemption code, you need to purchase the DLC with a high cost, especially the separate DLC contents. If somehow you lost the redemption code, buy the Cerberus Pack as it can saves you some money instead of buying it one by one.

In conclusion, I am happy that to see that the PS3 version has all the current DLCs available. That way, PS3 users won't miss much in that game compared with Xbox 360 and PC players.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Graphics

m92-02-o.jpg

Spectacular graphics. No argument on that.

The graphics in this game are amazing. Perhaps one of the best looking games for this year, and one of the best looking Western games. With spectacular details on alien's facial and body structures, makes this game a great looking one, with extremely great visuals and beautifully made cities, dungeons, environments and last but not least, the universe.

605239_20110114_screen027.jpg

Perhaps much better graphics compared with the Xbox 360 version.​

From what I observe, the PS3 version has slightly better graphics, and reportedly, the game looks much better than the demo version, as it uses an old build for the game. Other than that, there is nothing noticeable differences between the PS3 version and the Xbox 360 version, as both versions look spectacular.

UPDATE: I have played the Xbox 360 version again, and here are some differences in terms of graphics that I noticed between the PS3 version and the Xbox 360 version.

For starters, the PS3 version has slightly better lighting, making the graphics looks nicer than the Xbox 360 version. Also, the facial features on character models on the PS3 version is also slightly more detailed compared with the Xbox 360 version. The PS3 version also have smoother transition between cutscenes and roaming, making it less frustrating and makes the game more seamless.

However, the PS3 version has it's own shares of bugs and glitches, but that does not detract the experience of playing Mass Effect 2, nor it is gamebreaking. There are only some bugs and glitches, so rest assured.

Sound

screenshot-043-o.jpg

As in the first game, excellent voice acting, if not, better than the first one.​

With excellent cast of voice actors like Mark Meer, Jennifer Hale, Martin Sheen, D.C. Douglas, Steven Blum, Seth Green, Carrie-Anne Moss, and other great voice actors did spectacular jobs on voicing each characters to their fullest, with emotion and authenticity. You won't be finding many games that have this kind of quality of voice acting. They really did a great job.

The soundtrack is space inspired, making it rather futuristic and epic. The soundtrack is great to hear, especially with the game's main theme.

Replay Value

944906_20100513_screen004.jpg

Extremely high replay value.​

The replay value of this game is quite high. You can do side missions to get extra levels, credits, etc. You can also load your completed Mass Effect 2 save file to take a different path. For example, if the Shepard in your first playthrough is a Paragon, try to make the Shepard in the second playthorugh as a Renegade. This will gives you a new experience, and you can check any missed conversations and stuff.

It is also interesting if you choose a Shepard in a different gender. Different genders of Shepard allows different romance subplots, which are tend to be emotionally touching, and great. So far, I think the romance subplot with Jack is the most emotional one that I have encountered so far.

605239_20110114_screen019.jpg

The free DLC inclusion for the PS3 version adds more replay value.​

As what I have said before, the PS3 version has numerous DLC inclusion as free. With extra new missions, new armours, new squadmates, etc, adds more replay value to the game. By the way, remember to download it from the PS Store using the redemption code in a card in your game's box.

UPDATE: Here are the contents of the Mass Effect 2 - Cerberus Pack:

1. Mass Effect: Genesis (interactive comic)
2. Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (squadmate + Loyalty mission)
3. Firewalker side mission
4. Normandy Crash Site side mission
5. New heavy weapons and a shotgun.
6. New armour set.

The DLCs that are included in the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 are:

1. Lair of the Shadow Broker
2. Overlord
3. Kasumi's Stolen Memory
4. Blood Dragon Armor

Not all DLCs that are available for the Xbox 360 and PC are included in the PS3 version. You can purchase the rest of the DLCs from the PlayStation Store, but they can be quite expensive, for buying armour and weapon sets.

Please take note that the redemption code is a one time use. If you have somehow deleted the game data of the Cerberus Pack from your PS3's Game Data Utility, you need to purchase it from the PS Store, or get a new copy of Mass Effect 2.
Conclusion

screenshot-065-o.jpg

It is a must play game for everyone. You won't find this kind of game around a lot. Bioware sure knows how to make a great game.​

An absolute purchase. If you have played Dragon Age: origins, then perhaps you will like this game. Any RPG fans should give this game a try, as this is one of the best made games ever.

The vast improvements from the first game makes this sequel a winner. With great story, great characters, gameplay, voice acting, I highly recommend this game to anyone. Give it a try, and you may like the game.

605239_20110114_screen001.jpg

This game is a great PS3 game that PS3 players should try and play.​

Even without downloading the DLC pack, this game stills remain as an excellent stand alone game. However, I highly advise against that, and download the Cerberus Pack in order to get full benefits of the game. The pack has all the DLC contents plus Mass Effect: Genesis, so it is a good idea to download it. Please remember it has 636 MB to download it completely.

Some people are wondering which version is better. PS3 or Xbox 360 version. To me, both have their own pros and cons, yet both are still an awesome games in their own rights. Here is my own personal comparison:

PS3

1. Has only 1 disc, so no disc changing like the Xbox 360 version.
2. Has all DLCs included for free.
3. May be cheaper than the Xbox 360 version.
4. Better graphics.
5. Does not have transferable Mass Effect save file. Mass Effect: Genesis covers that problem.

Xbox 360

1. Has two discs, so disc changing is required.
2. DLCs must be purchased online using Xbox Live.
3. May be more expensive than the PS3 version.
4. Can transfer Mass Effect save file to import changes from the first game.

So, it is up to you which one is better. Both versions are winners, and BioWare did a great job of porting the game to the PS3, unlike many other lazy developers who do not do proper porting for multi-platform games.

In conclusion, this game is a game that PS3 players should try to experience. With great storytelling, addictive gameplay, compelling characters, great voice acting, superb graphics, and high replay value, this game is one of the best games ever. Plus, with better graphics and a large amount of free DLC, the PS3 version is definitely a worthy game to play.

Score

Story - 10/10
Gameplay - 10/10
Graphics - 9/10
Sound - 9/10

Final Score: 38/40 or 9.5/10.0.

Pros and Cons

Pros

- Epic storyline.
- Great characters.
- Improved and awesome awesome gameplay.
- Great space exploring experience.
- Superb voice acting by veteran actors.
- Superb and improved graphics, especially the alien characters and level designs.
- Non repetitive mission objectives make this game feels fresh.
- Excellent conversations with other characters.
- The freedom of choice makes this game very entertaining.
- High replay value.
- No Mako.
- Mass Effect: Genesis is a great substitute for Mass Effect to cover the important details of the first game.

Cons

- Some glitches and bugs
- Scanning planets is a tedious task.
- You need to download the DLC pack in order to fully experience the game, and it will take a long time to download it as it has 636 MB storage space.
- Some players may be dissatisfied that there is no transferable save file from the first Mass Effect, as it is not available on PS3.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master said:
From what I observe, the PS3 version has slightly better graphics, and reportedly, the game looks much better than the demo version, as it uses an old build for the game. Other than that, there is nothing noticeable differences between the PS3 version and the Xbox 360 version.

I was expecting a quite large difference as it was said they used the ME3 engine for ME2 on the PS3. Maybe not huge differences graphically but a noticeable difference between versions with the way it ran and felt. I did hear that the final product looked better than the demo that was on PSN though because of the reason you stated. Good review though for a fantastic game and hope PS3 gamers are enjoying it too.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;297984 said:
I was expecting a quite large difference as it was said they used the ME3 engine for ME2 on the PS3. Maybe not huge differences graphically but a noticeable difference between versions with the way it ran and felt. I did hear that the final product looked better than the demo that was on PSN though because of the reason you stated. Good review though for a fantastic game and hope PS3 gamers are enjoying it too.

I can't exactly tell the difference as both version seems to be the same to me. Although, the PS3 version seems to have better lighting and more detailed facial details on the character's faces. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the loadings and cutscene transitions in the PS3 version seems to be more smoother compared with the Xbox 360 version. Both versions also have their own shares of glitches and bugs. Other than that, I am having difficulty on differentiating both versions.

Thanks for reading my review, Dark Drakan.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Even though I do not consider Mass Effect 2 an RPG at all from what I've played from a rental on my brother's 360, I'm still going to get it anyways to see how it is.

The PS3 version being auctioned off stupid cheap so...w/e

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;297997 said:
Even though I do not consider Mass Effect 2 an RPG at all from what I've played from a rental on my brother's 360, I'm still going to get it anyways to see how it is.

The PS3 version being auctioned off stupid cheap so...w/e

Although on the outside it looks like a shooter the RPG elements with story branches and moral choices etc are superb. Never judge a book by its cover.

Esura

Dark Drakan;298003 said:
Although on the outside it looks like a shooter the RPG elements with story branches and moral choices etc are superb. Never judge a book by its cover.

Alrighty...I won a bid on Mass Effect 2 PS3 new for $46 bucks. Saved $14 I guess.

I will post my thoughts on this game after I beat it. Its not a review, more so an afterwords.

I will finally determine whether this an RPG or not.

EDIT: Chaos Master, you make some ok reviews. Better than the crap that is Game Informer and IGN thats for sure. You should make your own reviewing blog.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;298042 said:
Alrighty...I won a bid on Mass Effect 2 PS3 new for $46 bucks. Saved $14 I guess.

I will post my thoughts on this game after I beat it. Its not a review, more so an afterwords.

I will finally determine whether this an RPG or not.

EDIT: Chaos Master, you make some ok reviews. Better than the crap that is Game Informer and IGN thats for sure. You should make your own reviewing blog.

To you it may not seem like one as ive seen the games you play and most are Japanese old styled RPG's and it is definately not one of those with its 3rd person shooter combat. Its a western RPG through and through, you play a role, make choices and level a character and skills. Its like the conversation system is a much more advanced one of Oblivion with a conversation wheel but its combat is a slowed down modified Gears of War type. So its an RPG in that aspect with no room for debate as you are role playing however a JRPG it is not or trying to be. It might not fit into your idea of what an RPG is or an RPG your used to but doesnt take away from the fact its an RPG and won many RPG of the year awards as well as others.

Esura

Dark Drakan;298047 said:
To you it may not seem like one as ive seen the games you play and most are Japanese old styled RPG's and it is definately not one of those with its 3rd person shooter combat.

Its a western RPG through and through, you play a role, make choices and level a character and skills. Its like the conversation system is a much more advanced one of Oblivion with a conversation wheel but its combat is a slowed down modified Gears of War type. So its an RPG in that aspect with no room for debate as you are role playing however a JRPG it is not or trying to be. It might not fit into your idea of what an RPG is or an RPG your used to but doesnt take away from the fact its an RPG and won many RPG of the year awards as well as others.
Question...do you gain levels?
EDIT: This is not a joke question, I'm just curious.
EDIT: Its in the review....nvm...:lol:

I do play and enjoy WRPGs you know, but yes I do prefer JRPGs more though, and I played them before even knowing WRPGs existed. Only WRPG I found somewhat...boring and lacking was Borderlands and Dragon Age.

Actually, I've met many of WRPG fans, many of them who don't even care for JRPGs at all, who find that the labeling of ME2 as an RPG misleading. From what I played, it didn't feel like one as well, but I only played a few hours of it on 360, so I can hardly pass accurate judgement on it you know. There must be some validity to their statements. This may be the only game I've seen many people debate whether its an RPG or not. Some people call ME2 a, "shadow" of ME or something...I dunno.

Nice to know this aint a crap port though so I wont feel cheated. I used my anime money on this game just so I can play it and see why people argue over its genre. :(

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;298060 said:
Question...do you gain levels?
EDIT: This is not a joke question, I'm just curious.
EDIT: Its in the review....nvm...:lol:

I do play and enjoy WRPGs you know, but yes I do prefer JRPGs more though, and I played them before even knowing WRPGs existed. Only WRPG I found somewhat...boring and lacking was Borderlands and Dragon Age.

Actually, I've met many of WRPG fans, many of them who don't even care for JRPGs at all, who find that the labeling of ME2 as an RPG misleading. From what I played, it didn't feel like one as well, but I only played a few hours of it on 360, so I can hardly pass accurate judgement on it you know. There must be some validity to their statements. This may be the only game I've seen many people debate whether its an RPG or not. Some people call ME2 a, "shadow" of ME or something...I dunno.

Nice to know this aint a crap port though so I wont feel cheated. I used my anime money on this game just so I can play it and see why people argue over its genre. :(

I know where the 'shadow' of the original ME statements came from because ME was FILLED with collectable information, weapons/armour and loot and a lot of it was cut from ME2. Mainly because there were hundreds of weapons/armour but most looked the same but the stats were different. Because over half the content was only used to find and sell Bioware said it was needless clutter and cut it for ME2.

Also there was an encyclopaedia of information put into your codex in the game i mean an insane amount of information they you could choose to read or not. In Bioware's surveys they found most people didnt bother reading a lot of it and it was only people really interested in species/worlds and the politics odf the game so they cut that down too.

The inventory menu (i felt) was also very cluttered so they tweaked with that too and most was removed for ME2. So the stats obsessed people who wanted to gather a warehouse full of weapons to sell and admire and read lots and lots of info felt ME2 had been watered down in favour of a more action based game.

On the games you named Borderlands is dull on your own but with friends it can be rather fun. Took me some time to get into it but i eventually enjoyed it, though it does the exact thing i stated that ME did. Gives you hundreds of variations of weapons/shields etc that look the same but have different stats. Im a big Bioware fan but couldnt get into Dragon Age, i like the setting and ideas in the game but the quest menu was cluttered and it too presented you with so much unneeded information. I used to prefer JRPG's but over the years ive found them to be stuck in this retro style that after id played so many they started to feel very alike and i got bored of the combat systems and level grinding & now prefer RPG's with choices and multiple endings.

Esura

Dark Drakan;298115 said:
I know where the 'shadow' of the original ME statements came from because ME was FILLED with collectable information, weapons/armour and loot and a lot of it was cut from ME2. Mainly because there were hundreds of weapons/armour but most looked the same but the stats were different. Because over half the content was only used to find and sell Bioware said it was needless clutter and cut it for ME2.

Also there was an encyclopaedia of information put into your codex in the game i mean an insane amount of information they you could choose to read or not. In Bioware's surveys they found most people didnt bother reading a lot of it and it was only people really interested in species/worlds and the politics odf the game so they cut that down too.

The inventory menu (i felt) was also very cluttered so they tweaked with that too and most was removed for ME2. So the stats obsessed people who wanted to gather a warehouse full of weapons to sell and admire and read lots and lots of info felt ME2 had been watered down in favour of a more action based game.

On the games you named Borderlands is dull on your own but with friends it can be rather fun. Took me some time to get into it but i eventually enjoyed it, though it does the exact thing i stated that ME did. Gives you hundreds of variations of weapons/shields etc that look the same but have different stats. Im a big Bioware fan but couldnt get into Dragon Age, i like the setting and ideas in the game but the quest menu was cluttered and it too presented you with so much unneeded information. I used to prefer JRPG's but over the years ive found them to be stuck in this retro style that after id played so many they started to feel very alike and i got bored of the combat systems and level grinding & now prefer RPG's with choices and multiple endings.

Wow, so that explains it. Why wouldn't they at least try to make the inventory system less cumbersome instead of outright removing it? That kind of sounds a bit lazy to be perfectly honest. I can understand removing codex stuff though...because unless I'm just bored as hell at that moment, I wouldn't read it.

Borderlands world, the loot, all that is cool. Hell the story, or lack thereof doesn't bother me (as I actually don't play WRPGs for story ironically). It just feels like a huge boring fetch quest. Granted, I haven't played with anyone online with the game yet, which may be the reason why I got bored with it. I'll probably get back to it one day. I have to still complete Fallout 3...game bored me to tears unlike Oblivion.

Dragon Age started off great for me. I started off as a City Elf Thief chick, and the origin was awesome! One of the first WRPGs I've actually became attached to the main story a bit...but my god the tedium in a lot of parts in the game. From the ridiculous amounts of text (which would make old school JRPGs blush), to the characters always bitching about how I act and threatening to leave the group, and to the worse of all...The Fade. My god man that has to be the single most boring, tedious area I've ever been to in gaming since Item World in Disgaea. They should definitely remove going to the Fade stuff from Dragon Age 2.

My love for JRPGs is pretty much the exact same as it used to be, however...I guess with me being older now, I'm more willing to try different things in gaming than before. Ten years ago, or even five years ago, if you asked me to play a WRPG or a shooter (thats not GTA) I would of laughed at you. Now, when I play it, hell, I actually enjoy many of them. I am slightly bitter that all my favorite genre of games are either dying or becoming irrelevant though (JRPGs and fighters) and the extreme illogical bashing of JRPGs by the media and others irritates me a bit too (not to you, your dislike of it sounds logical). I guess the times flowing right past me. A gamer of a bygone era. Ironically, I'm not that old (look at profile). :lol:

I checked some YouTube videos of Mass Effect 2...and it looks pretty good too.

I wish this dude on Ebay hurry up and ship my game already damn...:D

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;298141 said:
Wow, so that explains it. Why wouldn't they at least try to make the inventory system less cumbersome instead of outright removing it? That kind of sounds a bit lazy to be perfectly honest. I can understand removing codex stuff though...because unless I'm just bored as hell at that moment, I wouldn't read it.

Borderlands world, the loot, all that is cool. Hell the story, or lack thereof doesn't bother me (as I actually don't play WRPGs for story ironically). It just feels like a huge boring fetch quest. Granted, I haven't played with anyone online with the game yet, which may be the reason why I got bored with it. I'll probably get back to it one day. I have to still complete Fallout 3...game bored me to tears unlike Oblivion.

Dragon Age started off great for me. I started off as a City Elf Thief chick, and the origin was awesome! One of the first WRPGs I've actually became attached to the main story a bit...but my god the tedium in a lot of parts in the game. From the ridiculous amounts of text (which would make old school JRPGs blush), to the characters always bitching about how I act and threatening to leave the group, and to the worse of all...The Fade. My god man that has to be the single most boring, tedious area I've ever been to in gaming since Item World in Disgaea. They should definitely remove going to the Fade stuff from Dragon Age 2.

My love for JRPGs is pretty much the exact same as it used to be, however...I guess with me being older now, I'm more willing to try different things in gaming than before. Ten years ago, or even five years ago, if you asked me to play a WRPG or a shooter (thats not GTA) I would of laughed at you. Now, when I play it, hell, I actually enjoy many of them. I am slightly bitter that all my favorite genre of games are either dying or becoming irrelevant though (JRPGs and fighters) and the extreme illogical bashing of JRPGs by the media and others irritates me a bit too (not to you, your dislike of it sounds logical). I guess the times flowing right past me. A gamer of a bygone era. Ironically, I'm not that old (look at profile). :lol:

I checked some YouTube videos of Mass Effect 2...and it looks pretty good too.

I wish this dude on Ebay hurry up and ship my game already damn...:D

They removed it but can still pick weapons load-outs and sell weapons and armour its just less of a clusterf**k as it was in ME. Enjoyable for a while but when you have 20 of the same looking weapon with a stat that has +1 point difference it started to get a little annoying as im a tidy freak and there was just to much unnecessary stuff.

As i said with Borderlands on your own id be bored as hell and i was but with friends and differing levels of characters so differing enemies and loot it became fun. Some quests lack imagination but some have a humour that adds some fun to it. The DLC add a lot to the game and some fun to be had in them.

I know what you mean about the amount of text in Dragon Age and it was the same in ME1. I praise them for their attention to detail but i havent got a couple of months free to read and take in all that. The quest menu can make or break a game for me and i didnt like Dragon Age's as it was cluttered and i was often puzzled as to where i was meant to be going or what i was meant to be doing. ME/ME2 got it right as did Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Ive always been a big RPG & shooter fan as well as RTS games. So games that cross RPG with shooter i really enjoy. I enjoy Bioware & Bethesda's games such as Mass Effect 1 & 2 & Fallout 3 for example and enjoyed Obsidians New Vegas too and im just getting into Oblivion again after many years after my saves were corrupted after a patch install on my PC. As i said i used to really like JRPG's but after nearly 20 years of playing games i really enjoy freedom and choice now and have been spoiled with that by Western RPG's so find it hard to go back and play JRPG's now.

Top Bottom