• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Living the Devil May Cry Universe: Cosplay Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
Well, I took a good look around and haven't found any cosplay related threads. At least any that were easy to find. So I figured I would start a cosplay thread. This thread is designed for discussing anyone's interest in cosplaying (dressing up as) your favorite Devil May Cry character(s), either currently, or working on a costume now (like me) or plan a costume for the future. Play nice, keep the gun battles virtual and have a great time! :D

Currently, I'm assembling Nero. Building all his props: Devil Bringer, Red Queen and Blue Rose, all of which are in various stages of development currently. My deviant art page http://technowraith.deviantart.com/ has the 3 Nero Props galleries with works in progress. Photo descriptions have the dates on them so you can follow the chronology of progress. And yes, Devil Bringer is designed to glow, and I have plans to make Red Queen light up as well.

I'll be commissioning Nero's costume, because I'm not liking the cheap mass produced costumes from china. And they won't customize my Nero coat to fit my needs. Found a commissioner who can help me out, now it's just a matter of saving up. :)

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Awesome work mate, your Blue Rose is fantastic!

How do you plan on doing the moving parts for Red Queen?

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
Awesome work mate, your Blue Rose is fantastic! How do you plan on doing the moving parts for Red Queen?
Red Queen is gonna light up. I wasn't fully aware that Red Queen even had moving parts. LoL. ^.^ Essentially, the "motorcycle handle" (whatever you call that thing) is gonna activate a micro switch, which in turn will activate EL Sheeting fashioned out in flames or a similar pattern. Not sure yet. Working on the design still.

Nice work. I'd like too know which piece is hardest to work on?
The gun barrels and the bullet (revolver chamber) was actually the hardest part to do, mostly due to proportioning. Blue Rose is the first time I ever made a gun, let alone a gun out nothing. Yep. Blue Rose started out as a pile of card stock boxes and paper towel cores. I made the design modular, and buildable in pieces. That way, if something had to be changed, it wouldn't require a complete rebuild from scratch. When I had to adjust the barrels and the spacer between the barrels, the rebuild to do so only took about an hour. Thanks to an easy to modify design.

@pleasure: video made no sense... o_O LoL

SpawnShooter

Red Queen is gonna light up. I wasn't fully aware that Red Queen even had moving parts. LoL. ^.^ Essentially, the "motorcycle handle" (whatever you call that thing) is gonna activate a micro switch, which in turn will activate EL Sheeting fashioned out in flames or a similar pattern. Not sure yet. Working on the design still.

Don't forget to make the throttle secrete fuel over the blade that will ignite, decimating your enemies in a totally safe way ;)

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
Must... include... copious... amounts... of... pyromania. LoL.

Those stinking plate magnets for Red Queen are stuck to each other cuz I was an idiot and decided to see if I could try separating them by hand. Nope. Had to use the hammer and chisel again. This could be an issue, but a design change may include adding 1/8 inch material between the two magnets to hit that magic 1/2 inch width. Some experiments led me to conclude that these plate magnets lose about 10% strength when spearated by 1/2 inch of material, and 90% strength when separated by 1 inch of material. Good to know. ^.^

Pleasure

Just the man with the gun.
@pleasure: video made no sense... :confused: LoL
cant-tell-if-trolling.jpg

Osaka

trollololol
The gun barrels and the bullet (revolver chamber) was actually the hardest part to do, mostly due to proportioning. Blue Rose is the first time I ever made a gun, let alone a gun out nothing. Yep. Blue Rose started out as a pile of card stock boxes and paper towel cores. I made the design modular, and buildable in pieces. That way, if something had to be changed, it wouldn't require a complete rebuild from scratch. When I had to adjust the barrels and the spacer between the barrels, the rebuild to do so only took about an hour. Thanks to an easy to modify design.

Building guns from cardboard tubes. Don't think I ever saw anyone on Blue Peter making anything like that. :p

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Looks like fun. 8D I saw a guy's blog where he made the Mass Effect guns and N7 armour, the guns made from chipboard and MDF I think. The end result when painted and distressed was pretty impressive, I never realised till then just how serious some cosplayers are about good outfits and they look good. I'd love to give it a go myself but I no longer have access to all the tools I'd need for that kinda thing. I only have small tools for small-scale work, not 1/1 scale work. =(

If only my dad hadn't given away all his carpentry gear.

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
I plan on guying a new dremmel kit, two files (a straight and round), a heat gun and probably a glue gun as well. Since a lot of my projects can be hand cut with a dremmel, an electric saw or a portable table saw, I only really reed the dremmel, the heat gun and the glue gun. Oh yeah, goggles, heat proof gloves and a dust mask as well.

Dad has most everything else I need. I fixed up and oiled the table saw that hasn't been used in ages. I also fixed the miter saw. Tried to fix the band saw, but I think dad fried that completely when he put the wrong blade in it and got something jammed in one of the motor wheels. D:

Oh well... I use a lot of lightweight materials, and make them durable and rigid by adding plywood or balsa board. Epoxy Resin to seal and stiffen foam. Guesso (spelling?), primer then paint. :)

Osaka

trollololol
So how much do you think this will all cost in the end? (that includes the outfit.) Some cosplayer outfits I've seen look quite expensive especially those that enter competitions (and I'm talking about the ones that have made outfit+weapons etc by hand.)

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
So how much do you think this will all cost in the end? (that includes the outfit.) Some cosplayer outfits I've seen look quite expensive especially those that enter competitions (and I'm talking about the ones that have made outfit+weapons etc by hand.)

VERY expensive... upwards of $600-800 dollars when all is said and done. Nero is being commissioned and fully customized by a friend. He's can do all the modifications I need to suit my needs as well as make a very durable, rugged costume. He quoted me about $350, but that includes the coat, sweater/hoodie, leg straps (whatever those brown things Nero wears on his legs) and he may toss in a pair of Nero's boots for a modest $50 (he agreed to purchase a quality set of Nero's boots, modify them to make them more durable if needed and just add $50 to the overall package). So the costume alone is $400 tops.
Propwise: Devil Bringer is the most expensive, with about $200-300 for supplies (EL-sheeting/EL kits and wonderflex. Red Queen is much cheaper with materials found at home depot or lowes. Blue Rise is gonna get some final shaping and minor detail rework. In it's current form, it's pretty much complete. Some grey spray paint and then some steady hand painting to get the Blue Rose pattern on and such.

Edit:
I did get the design drawing up for my Red Queen prop. The link is http://technowraith.deviantart.com/gallery/31468536#/d3zb9fb which should lead to my deviant art gallery for Nero's Red Queen. Comments/ideas or suggestions or constructive criticisms welcome.

SpawnShooter

Looking fantastic mate ^_^ the blade seems a bit short, but I'm guessing you just ran out of paper, that's why you put the line across the blade. You prob already know but, Capcom make a replica blade (won't be as good as yours ;)) but it's 42" overall with a 31 3/4" blade if that helps :/

Are you putting Leds in the blade?

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
I've seen the replica Red Queen. A friend has one and hates it. I can see why. It's a cheap mass produced sword from china. Hell, the blade isn't even straight. And the motorcycle handle came off. So I'm bribing him to buy the motorcycle handle off him. He's tempted to just sell me the whole thing for cheap just to see if i'll reverse engineer it to fit my needs. LoL.

My Red Queen is measured out to about 5 foot 4 inches. Mostly due to proportioning, Red Queen is almost as big as Nero. It sports EL sheeting for a uniform glow. The inverter and battery packs are built into the handle. The motorcycle handle when squeezed will turn on the EL sheeting via a microswitch. The handle is a length of 2-3 inch diameter pvc piping, with an end cap at the butt end. Hollow piping for inserting the inner workings of the electric circuit. The plate magnet will be mounted to the balsa board layer(s) for stability. The current drawing does not show the plate magnet, but new updated drawings will.

And yes, ran outta paper to make the blade longer. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom