• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Limbo and the real world

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
They should have had the news clipping as a note like in Silent Hill.
That would have been useful. It took me a while to find the news article inside the game disc.
Well, ripping out their hearts would be fairly quick. They wouldn't be that likely to live long afterward.
Taking the actual heart out would be quick, but seeing how Mundus was struggling to rip open Dante's chest, it left me wondering how long it took for Mundus to rip open Eva's chest and get her heart.
Wouldn't that have worked better if it was more than just financial?

I didn't even think of that. Which is bad since that's a detail that was in both the movie and book. Now I'm trying to think of other similarities... And this is where it would be very nice to know more about Mundus. I can think of things that both the real and fictional Draculas did, but there isn't much about Mundus to compare to them.
What about how Mundus has mistresses and 'whores' as Vergil says. So that implies that Lilith wasn't the only one. In comparison, Dracula has his collection of brides.

Both of them also pretend to be normal humans and fool people (Dracula fools Harker).

Dracula wants to take over the world, but starts with England, Mundus wants the world and starts by controlling Limbo city.

Both are supernatural beings that need to feed from humans. For Dracula it is blood, for Mundus, it is implied he needs souls. They are also both very powerful so long as they can recharge their powers with blood or souls.

Both use women close to the main character to try and manipluate the situation. Mundus takes Kat and Dracula uses Mina Harker.

That's all I've got for now.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
We are talking about Limbo's connections to our world right?

How God influences us against the demons' deceptions, obstacles and all?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
We are talking about Limbo's connections to our world right?

How God influences us against the demons' deceptions, obstacles and all?
More like how Mundus, a demon, made himself like a god in the human world and tricked them all into following his regime through drugs, poisoned drink, and debt fuelled by the promotion of celebrity life and 'reality' TV.

Seems like it works. Well, it does in real life anyway. Just look at the amount of 'reality' shows about talentless morons who do nothing that will benefit the world. These idiots are copied by impressionable youth who will waste their money on clothes lines and perfumes that these so-called 'stars' promote.

EllDawn

What about how Mundus has mistresses and 'whores' as Vergil says. So that implies that Lilith wasn't the only one. In comparison, Dracula has his collection of brides.

Both of them also pretend to be normal humans and fool people (Dracula fools Harker).

Dracula wants to take over the world, but starts with England, Mundus wants the world and starts by controlling Limbo city.

Both are supernatural beings that need to feed from humans. For Dracula it is blood, for Mundus, it is implied he needs souls. They are also both very powerful so long as they can recharge their powers with blood or souls.

Both use women close to the main character to try and manipluate the situation. Mundus takes Kat and Dracula uses Mina Harker.

That's all I've got for now.
I think Mundus was trying to make the pain last for Dante when trying to rip his heart out. I'm sure it was quicker for Eva.

I'm not even sure if Dracula really considered his brides to be more than just other vampires he had created. He did take care of them, but I kind of got the impression he really didn't even spend time around them. Mundus, you can tell why he had his mistresses.

Dracula wanting to take over the world is debatable. In the book he was more like a child learning about the world and what he could do. He didn't have much of a goal.

You made me think of Raziel, feeding on souls.

Dracula did kind of use Mina to manipulate everything. He did use her to know what the heroes were doing.

You could say both underestimated their enemies. They thought they were indestructible and didn't act fast enough to kill any possible threat. In Dracula's case I really wish he hadn't. I happen to like him.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I especially agree with you on McDonalds. They have terrible food, anyway.

I'd have to wonder about Chef Ramsay. He's a celebrity, pretty well known, but he's always telling people to use fresh ingredients in their cooking. He'd be a pretty good influence, except that he's pretty much going against what demons would want. They probably wouldn't let him live.

Monsanto is another one that would be a demon.
Then that means Chef Gordon Ramsay might have the "Eye of Dante" in him too!

MigsRZXAStylish

Does that mean he'd be a nephilim too? Or a psychic like Kat? lol.
That I do not know. Maybe he didn't know demons exist at first. Then, he was dragged into Limbo and realized the truth about unhealthy food. Dante found him and together, they became crusaders of very healthy and good food!

How's that?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Does that mean he'd be a nephilim too? Or a psychic like Kat? lol.
Not sure. Could he be both? A nephilim who also has medium powers. Or would that be greedy?:p

I know for sure he met a demon though. When he went to that Amy's baking company, he had to leave because she was rude and crazy. Almost acting like she was demon possessed. :O

EllDawn

That I do not know. Maybe he didn't know demons exist at first. Then, he was dragged into Limbo and realized the truth about unhealthy food. Dante found him and together, they became crusaders of very healthy and good food!

How's that?
Sounds good. lol. And now it's all explained. Ramsay is on a quest to save everyone with healthy food and bring down evil demons. Think he'll be throwing knives and forks at them? I doubt spoons would be of much help, unless they're sharpened.

Not sure. Could he be both? A nephilim who also has medium powers. Or would that be greedy?:p

I know for sure he met a demon though. When he went to that Amy's baking company, he had to leave because she was rude and crazy. Almost acting like she was demon possessed. :O
That would be kind of greedy. Then again, isn't that kind of how Vergil is? He does use magic.

I think I remember that episode. It was the only one where he actually gave up on someone, wasn't it? And a lot of the people he meets could qualify as demons. There was one guy that was negative about everything Gordon did. I think the owners gave up the restaurant because of him.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
That would be kind of greedy. Then again, isn't that kind of how Vergil is? He does use magic.

I think I remember that episode. It was the only one where he actually gave up on someone, wasn't it? And a lot of the people he meets could qualify as demons. There was one guy that was negative about everything Gordon did. I think the owners gave up the restaurant because of him.
Yep, that episode. They were so bad that he walked away.
The woman reminded me of Lilith. You could tell she had plastic surgery- nose reshaped, and way too much makeup. She screamed a lot and cried when she did not get her way, and hid behind her really old boyfriend who gave her everything she wanted. >_<

If a guy like Gordon, who is respected and has a lot of experience is trying to help your failing business, let him help and don't be rude. It's simple rules to follow. But some of these people who ask for help are so rude, or argumentative.

Back to demons. I'm also thinking about the fashion industry. They tell women to be very slim or skinny, but not all women are naturally like that. So women who can't be that size, and make themselves unhappy dieting, or wasting money on diet pills and companies like 'Jenny Craig' who make foods that are supposed to help lose weight.

Then fashion also tells men that they must be muscly, or feminine to be attractive. They now market hair dye for men, implying it is bad for men to have grey hair and look older. Then there are men's fragrance adverts that imply 'wear this scent and really hot/ attractive women will want to sleep with you.'It also implies that womens' only value is in their looks and that everything men do is to get these attractive women.
The whle thing is pathetic, makes people unhappy, and encourages people to conform and be sheep to a certain body image and fashion style. It's so shallow. What about how a person is on the inside? That should matter more.

It's like the rise of 'the idividual' that's in the media. They say 'you are an individual' and then they say 'you must buy this to stand out and be individual'.
So by saying you are an individual and buying products to express that, you are actually one of the masses doing exactly the same thing.You are also putting money in the hands of people who already have too much, people who make money off of marketing 'the individual' image at the expense of eroding the family and family values.
So people buy material goods while getting into debt....it really is like DmC. Or, more like DmC is like real life.

EllDawn

The woman reminded me of Lilith. You could tell she had plastic surgery- nose reshaped, and way too much makeup. She screamed a lot and cried when she did not get her way, and hid behind her really old boyfriend who gave her everything she wanted. >_<

If a guy like Gordon, who is respected and has a lot of experience is trying to help your failing business, let him help and don't be rude. It's simple rules to follow. But some of these people who ask for help are so rude, or argumentative.

Back to demons. I'm also thinking about the fashion industry. They tell women to be very slim or skinny, but not all women are naturally like that. So women who can't be that size, and make themselves unhappy dieting, or wasting money on diet pills and companies like 'Jenny Craig' who make foods that are supposed to help lose weight.

Then fashion also tells men that they must be muscly, or feminine to be attractive. They now market hair dye for men, implying it is bad for men to have grey hair and look older. Then there are men's fragrance adverts that imply 'wear this scent and really hot/ attractive women will want to sleep with you.'It also implies that womens' only value is in their looks and that everything men do is to get these attractive women.
The whle thing is pathetic, makes people unhappy, and encourages people to conform and be sheep to a certain body image and fashion style. It's so shallow. What about how a person is on the inside? That should matter more.

It's like the rise of 'the idividual' that's in the media. They say 'you are an individual' and then they say 'you must buy this to stand out and be individual'.
So by saying you are an individual and buying products to express that, you are actually one of the masses doing exactly the same thing.You are also putting money in the hands of people who already have too much, people who make money off of marketing 'the individual' image at the expense of eroding the family and family values.
So people buy material goods while getting into debt....it really is like DmC. Or, more like DmC is like real life.
I just don't get some people. She probably expected him to say everything was great and he was going to bring publicity.

I absolutely agree with you. It's also from Disney films, teaching girls that a prince is going to save them while telling the boys they need to be tough and pretty much perfect in order to be that prince. I'd say they're also telling everyone that they can't be happy unless they have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Everything I've seen is usually about finding love. Few are about actually living your life.

DmC did take a lot from reality. Everywhere you look there's something saying, "You have to be this in order to be accepted." You even see it in schools. They make conformity everything, and standing out means there's something wrong with you, whether it's physical or mental. They seem to have a pill for everything to make people the same. People could actually learn a lot from DmC.

MigsRZXAStylish

I just don't get some people. She probably expected him to say everything was great and he was going to bring publicity.

I absolutely agree with you. It's also from Disney films, teaching girls that a prince is going to save them while telling the boys they need to be tough and pretty much perfect in order to be that prince. I'd say they're also telling everyone that they can't be happy unless they have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Everything I've seen is usually about finding love. Few are about actually living your life.

DmC did take a lot from reality. Everywhere you look there's something saying, "You have to be this in order to be accepted." You even see it in schools. They make conformity everything, and standing out means there's something wrong with you, whether it's physical or mental. They seem to have a pill for everything to make people the same. People could actually learn a lot from DmC.
Sadly, many DMC fans, since majority of them are anti-DmC, have missed that part! And yes, I'm glad I got this game as a form of all my disdain on reality! DmC indeed has us facing against conformity!
EDIT: We are living in sad and dark times...

MigsRZXAStylish

That's really sad... Good thing DmC is a combination of my most favorite video game franchise of all time since day one (Devil May Cry) and my disdain towards reality as well as symbolism of a messed up reality. If we want to be an individual, then we as individuals must decide things for ourselves in order to truly stand out and being oneself!

Nothing is really what it seems. Do you not agree, Loopy?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nothing is really what it seems. Do you not agree, Loopy?
There's a big difference between what your eyes see, and what is really going on, that's for sure. Everything in society is like that; even interacting with other people can be false sometimes- especially if the langauage used relies on 'set phrases' in certain situations which you have to say to 'save face'.
I haven't noticed it when I've been learning French, German or Italian; but learning Japanese there are so many set phrases that you must use depending on who you are talking to, what situation and the rank of the person compared to you (age, job, experience).
For example, my teacher always tells me if I am complimented on my Japanese, I must always respond like this 'thank you, but I still have a lot to learn'. Another example is to reply 'all thanks to you' even though the person you are thanking had nothing to do with your success. It seems false....almost like everyone is lying to each other to save face and be polite.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
There's a big difference between what your eyes see, and what is really going on, that's for sure. Everything in society is like that; even interacting with other people can be false sometimes- especially if the langauage used relies on 'set phrases' in certain situations which you have to say to 'save face'.
I haven't noticed it when I've been learning French, German or Italian; but learning Japanese there are so many set phrases that you must use depending on who you are talking to, what situation and the rank of the person compared to you (age, job, experience).
For example, my teacher always tells me if I am complimented on my Japanese, I must always respond like this 'thank you, but I still have a lot to learn'. Another example is to reply 'all thanks to you' even though the person you are thanking had nothing to do with your success. It seems false....almost like everyone is lying to each other to save face and be polite.
Many times in our everyday life we have to use a great caution when we speak, and there are times in which you can't bluntly say the truth to a person because you may end up wounding her. For example, a friend of mine is a great Twilight fan. Although I think that if anything, surely Twilight is a product of demons :troll:, I can't simply say to her face that this book is complete BS... Sometimes politeness is necessary. Same goes for debates here between DmC fans and antis, if you think about it.
However, there is a difference between politeness and falsity, I think, even if a thin one sometimes. Many times, people are simply falsely polite to you because they want to use you or some other thing like that, while other times politeness comes from respect.

If we want to be an individual, then we as individuals must decide things for ourselves in order to truly stand out and being oneself!
And, as you and Loopy already wonderfully said, the problem is that society is blocking us from doing this, and so it requires a lot of personal strength of will to ignore those calls for conformity. I spent my adolescence forcing myself to be like my classmates, because I was not strong enough to be myself, in a situation in which I was looked down upon if I tried and express what I liked (videogames, for example were a complete no-go). I also usually preferred the company of boys, not because I was a slut, but simply because I am quite tomboyish and don't find it interesting what girls talked about (usually gossiping about what happened in school), and in the end I ended up isolated because the girls found me strange because I was not like them... :/

Moreover, if you think that in the past you could not even express different religious believes... In the 1600s people (especially women) we burned on bonfires when they acted differently from the 'canon'... So maybe the situation now is slightly better, but this does not mean that the problem has been solved, not at all. The problem, the tendency to exclude different people is still there (racism is not eliminated, for example), and it takes different forms, and truly hurt people (maybe now not with bonfires, but it can still make one's life pretty hard).

But you're forgetting about some things too.
Like teaching girls beauty isn't everything to see in a person, like in Beauty and the Beast,and that people who read books and are intelligent aren't always cherished and they're ignored if they don't seem to have the same opinion with the rest of population.
It's mostly based on love because the targeted audience are especially girls,even though there are movies which don't always respect this rule : like Mulan,which is about a girl who tries to destroy stereotypes that girls can't fight and they're reduced to only being pretty,and it's not really centered around love. Also,Little Mermaid was quite destroyed by Disney because the original story was far much sad and psychological,Hans Christian Andersen's version is an alter ego of the Little mermaid who wants to be like humans,in reality this was Andersen's story of how he succeeded in writing and being in a good social class,but with a price to pay.
Also,Atlantis: The lost Empire had a female character which I personally loved : Kida Nedakh,who was a female warrior who tries to rediscover Atlantis's past.She had a strong personality from my point of view.
So,these movies aren't always about love and girls being pretty,if you look much more deeper into them you can actually identify some real life issues.

Even though DmC has put the problem with the 'outsider' I feel it could have been done a little much better than this. For example,at first I didn't like Dante's personality,even though I knew why he behaved like this. I feel like you don't have to behave in a certain way just because you had a horrible past,or to be seen as 'cool' if you behave in a certain way. For example why should someone behave in a rude way just because their parents did the same to them?
I was happy at the end he became a more bearable character and he started to approach the old Dante more,but I admit at first I actually hated him.

MigsRZXAStylish

Sounds good. lol. And now it's all explained. Ramsay is on a quest to save everyone with healthy food and bring down evil demons. Think he'll be throwing knives and forks at them? I doubt spoons would be of much help, unless they're sharpened.
If it's a spoon, it may take years to kill those demon scum, like 'The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon' film short. Now if it is a sharpened spoon, Gordon may scoop out the demons' insides and displays them and labels them 'unhealthy'. But not to worry; Dante is there to help him in his quest where people only eat the healthiest and the most natural of food selections.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
However, there is a difference between politeness and falsity, I think, even if a thin one sometimes. Many times, people are simply falsely polite to you because they want to use you or some other thing like that, while other times politeness comes from respect.
That's what bothers me. So sometimes I wonder if people are taking an interest in conversation to be polite and save face, or because they really like the topic of the conversation. Maybe they do it also out of a sense to feel part of the gorup?

And, as you and Loopy already wonderfully said, the problem is that society is blocking us from doing this, and so it requires a lot of personal strength of will to ignore those calls for conformity. I spent my adolescence forcing myself to be like my classmates, because I was not strong enough to be myself, in a situation in which I was looked down upon if I tried and express what I liked (videogames, for example were a complete no-go). I also usually preferred the company of boys, not because I was a slut, but simply because I am quite tomboyish and don't find it interesting what girls talked about (usually gossiping about what happened in school), and in the end I ended up isolated because the girls found me strange because I was not like them... :/
School ist worst. There's a lot of pressure to fit in, wear the right clothes, act the same way, like the same things. But what these teenagers don't understand is that they are being manipulated by advertising companies and big corporations to buy their things and increase their profits, while disguising it as fitting in.
It just makes teenagers especially miserable if they can't buy the latest fad to fit in...and the companies are responisble for this. All they care about is making money at the cost ofteenagers' emotional wellbeing.

Not only in the world of school, but also in the world of adults, this still happens. Adults are still pressured to fit in. They say 'all women should be mothers' and 'all fathers should work'. And anyone who is not like this is 'weird' or for women who do not want children 'unnatural'.
It should be that if a man wants to stay at home and look after children, then let him. If a woman wants to go to work, let her. Each person is different. Society just puts stereotypes in peoples' heads that are not good for anyone, and create barriers for men and women.

Maybe more men would want to look after children if they weren't labelled 'sexual predator' or 'child molestor'. It's just terrible to call men that. Not all men are like that. Also not all women are 'natural mothers'.
I don't know why this idea of 'maternal instinct' still exists. It makes women unhappy and depressed when they don't instantly bond with the baby and believe this 'maternal instinct' lie.
And what about men? Or don't they have any 'father instinct' because according to society all men are child molestors and unfit to look after children. Well if men are so dangerous for children, then why do women have children with men in the first place?:/

Society just puts stereotypes in peoples' heads that are not good for anyone, and create barriers for men and women.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
That's what bothers me. So sometimes I wonder if people are taking an interest in conversation to be polite and save face, or because they really like the topic of the conversation. Maybe they do it also out of a sense to feel part of the gorup?
Yes, sometimes they have this reason too. Again, when I was in school, since I didn't want to feel left out and end up alone, I feigned interest in what girls around me said, but it was fake.
However, if the people around you are kind and a bit sensitive, they may come to understand that you are not interested and try to find topics you are more interested in...

School ist worst. There's a lot of pressure to fit in, wear the right clothes, act the same way, like the same things. But what these teenagers don't understand is that they are being manipulated by advertising companies and big corporations to buy their things and increase their profits, while disguising it as fitting in.
It just makes teenagers especially miserable if they can't buy the latest fad to fit in...and the companies are responisble for this. All they care about is making money at the cost ofteenagers' emotional wellbeing.

Not only in the world of school, but also in the world of adults, this still happens. Adults are still pressured to fit in. They say 'all women should be mothers' and 'all fathers should work'. And anyone who is not like this is 'weird' or for women who do not want children 'unnatural'.
It should be that if a man wants to stay at home and look after children, then let him. If a woman wants to go to work, let her. Each person is different. Society just puts stereotypes in peoples' heads that are not good for anyone, and create barriers for men and women.

Maybe more men would want to look after children if they weren't labelled 'sexual predator' or 'child molestor'. It's just terrible to call men that. Not all men are like that. Also not all women are 'natural mothers'.
I don't know why this idea of 'maternal instinct' still exists. It makes women unhappy and depressed when they don't instantly bond with the baby and believe this 'maternal instinct' lie.
And what about men? Or don't they have any 'father instinct' because according to society all men are child molestors and unfit to look after children. Well if men are so dangerous for children, then why do women have children with men in the first place?:/

Society just puts stereotypes in peoples' heads that are not good for anyone, and create barriers for men and women.
And you are so right again... Those stereotypes are just cages that often block people from expressing themselves freely, and constrain them in roles that are not at all fitting for them.
And teeneagers, since adolescence is a delicate passage in one's life, are the most vulnerable. And sometimes, especially if they receive bad examples from their parents, teachers, educators and so on, they never learn to get rid of those prejudices and schemes of thinking, and end up as adults who are ruled by stereotypes too.
People tend to find scary what is different, and that's why they are so vulnerable to stereotypes. It takes a lot of intelligence/wisdom and espcially education to learn to respect those who are different, from the man of a different religion, to the classmate who likes videogames instead of football...

Top Bottom