• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's talk about epic female game characters

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
As you all know by now I pretty much DESPISE all female characters in games - but whilst she is in no way "epic", I find that Kat from DmC is actually a female character I liked.

ZeroLove

As you all know by now I pretty much DESPISE all female characters in games - but whilst she is in no way "epic", I find that Kat from DmC is actually a female character I liked.

I'm curious to know why you despise female characters. :p

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Let me see if I can think of any epic female game characters:

Rydia from Final Fantasy 4: One of my favorite FF girls of all time. From a girl who lost all most everything to a master summoner in a short period of time: epic. Take that Yuna!

Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy 7: A strong and caring women who put others before herself; even though it hurt her in the process. She usually puts on a cheerful facade to hide her concerns from other, especially from that chocobo-hair-looking- Cloud.

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil: She took care of a bunch of orphans awhile being a action reporter trying to uncover a dark conspiracy.

Lady from Devil May Cry 3: She a bad @$$ demon hunter who took carp from no one. Not from Dante or Vergil.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Oh and all the girls from Persona 4 that end up in the party are all strong in their own right, simply by having the strength required to overcome their own personal shadows, nevermind the rest of the stuff they go through.
Yeah, facing and confronting your own weakness and your worse side is what i would call epic.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
Hmmm. I don't have that many favorite female characters sadly.

Lady was awesome in DMC 3. I wish she had more of an appearance in DMC 4.

My other favorite was Syrenne from The Last Story. My favorite Wii game right now. She was funny, rude and a really cool drunkard. She was awesome.

Princess Peach was another. Weird I know. I started my gaming with Mario and Peach was always my favorite character in the series. You know as a girl you have that simple mindset "if it's not a girl I don't wanna pick him" thing going on? Yeah that's how it was with me and Peach. I always picked her in the early N64 multplayer games. Never grew out of it. I pick her Melee and Brawl, I use her in every Mario multiplayer game. She's my girl. It's a nostalgia thing.

Paine and Rikku were pretty cool to. They were entertaining. Never liked Yuna though. She was bland as sin. As for Lightning...I tried to like her. Really I did. *Bows* I'm sorry :(

ZeroLove

Never liked Yuna though. She was bland as sin.

It's funny because... y'know... Sin...

Sin.png

Aaanyways, I was actually really fond of Lulu from FFX. She was awesome and I loved her design, her personality and that she is a Black Mage! :D

lulu2kk.jpg

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Samus from Metroid Prime she was strong and did more than some other male characters i've played as
Lady of coarse from DMC3 for the same reasons as everyone else
Claire Redfield who went through all that crap from RE2 all the while looking for her missing brother and never complaining (she was like my role model when i was younger lol)
Regina from Dino Crisis she was awesome end of story (I also think she's Jill's missing twin sister)

TheJoy

Smile with me.
Points down wards at signature, and at avatar.

Maybe spoilers!

The Boss (MGS3):
Bad ass character, well fleshed out, informs the whole metal gear universe. She sacrifices a lot for her country and her loyalty and conviction is unbreakable.

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider):
She is a famale adventurer who uncovers lost secrets of ancient tombs. Fighting the forces of evil and ultimately saving the world, time and time again.Since i am a little sceptical of the reboot, this is how I see her in the original series. She is strong independent and sometimes, kill crazy lol.

Kitana (Mortal Kombat):
Fights to regain the thrown on Outworld from Shao Kahn, her resurrected and turned evil mother and evil clone/sister. She kicks ass, love her weapons and if the character was fleshed out, to me, has a lot of emotional strength, since she has to deal with her family trying to kill her, while trying to save two worlds (Not Two Worlds, that game is awful).

Regina (Dino Crisis):
The main character in the game, Regina becomes the sole survivor of her team and has to deal with dinosaurs trying to eat her whilst trying to stop them from invading her time.

Jade (Beyond Good and evil):
Main lead, saves children, has to stop alien invasion and has a multitude of skills. Kind, caring and full of courage.

Claire Refield (RE2):
Can be the main lead if you chose her in Resident evil 2, has to survive a zombie outbreak, uncovers a conspiracy and becomes a big sister figure to Sherry Birkin.

Mona Sax (Max Payne 2):
Cold, professional hit woman, without a cliché heart of gold, who come through for the hero in the end.

Bayonetta:
Stong empowered female lead who doesn’t need help from any man.
Stops a patriarchal military from enslaving a female God.

Now i wanted to say this on the thread this one stemmed from but i woke up to find it locked. This seems appropriate place to add this.

Is Bayonetta ridiculously over powered? Sure.
Is she some sort of guys fetish fantasy? If they see it that way.
I never watched interviews with Kamiya, though I did have misgivings with the idea you can play the game one handed. However, that didn't change the story or make the character weaker, physically or emotionally.
Playing the game as a whole, i still found Bayonetta to be strong character. If you disagree fair enough.
However, what I can't understand is, why it is ok, for there to be male character that areridiculously over powered, masculine and handsome, (Asuras Wrath, Fist of the north star: kens Rage and yes i'm gonna put in DMC) but it's wrong for there to be a female equivalent?:/

Sorry if that went off topic.

Any way, I could list more female characters i like but the list would go on for a bit. lol :p

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
It's funny because... y'know... Sin...

Sin.png

Aaanyways, I was actually really fond of Lulu from FFX. She was awesome and I loved her design, her personality and that she is a Black Mage! :D

lulu2kk.jpg
Lol Sin hehe I see what cha did there.

...I can't believe I forgot Lulu. I always use her in my party too. *facepalm*
I love her and her 100 belts of mystery.

Gorbashou

Cissnei from Crisis Core.

Minako? I think. You know, from Persona 3, FeMC. She's a baws.
Aigis is cewlers once you get used to the choppy voice she got. It still minorly tedious but she's alright. Also Persona 3.

I liked Lightning before she became that godess's knight who knows everything about anything before everyone else and is never seen the entire game. Put Fang on top of that as well. FFXIII btw.

Samus Aran (prior to Other M), for being a determined badass.

That chick that is like the most badass elf ever in the Warcraft lore. If only I wasn't so bad with names of that franchise...
Was it, Lady Sylvana? I don't know.

Chaos Witch Quelaag, because she makes my FPS drop from the pitiful 18 to a mere 2 when I fight her in Dark Souls. And that she's got this creepy withered look about her that I think is cool while it gives me an uneasy feeling where you join the Chaos Covenant.

Maiden in Black, because she never dies and doesn't even care if you are constantly trying to kill her, from Demon's Souls.

Shantotto since she puts my rhyming at shame, from FF.

The saddest part is that I can't think of many in contrast to male game characters. But I think I got a nice list after 15 minutes of thinking. ^^

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I... like pretty much everyone that everyone else has said.

Wow, I guess I have no reason to post here, huh? ._.

BTW... Reading through this thread has made playing Metroid: Other M even more of a guilty pleasure for me... *whimpers*

Dominus

I... like pretty much everyone that everyone else has said.

Wow, I guess I have no reason to post here, huh? ._.

BTW... Reading through this thread has made playing Metroid: Other M even more of a guilty pleasure for me... *whimpers*
They should have just made the story non-existant, and put Samus on a planet like Zebes the whole time like most of her games (she was on a ship the whole time right?). I mean **** simulated environments.....(looking at you fusion). Though Fusion made the ship seem as big as a planet lol.....

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
They should have just made the story non-existant, and put Samus on a planet like Zebes the whole time like most of her games (she was on a ship the whole time right?). I mean **** simulated environments.....(looking at you fusion). Though Fusion made the ship seem as big as a planet lol.....

Fusion was pretty fun though. I liked the connectivity deals you could get with it and Prime.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Did anyone mention Oerba Yun Fang from Final Fantasy XIII? At first, I didn't like her but I didn't dislike her, similarly this is how I felt towards Oerba Dia Vanille . . . Anyway, she grew on me and Fang is really independent. She does not care about what others thinks except if it's in good intentions like happiness, saving the world, etc. By nature, Fang is just strong, physically and mentally. There's no tragic events that cause her to become who she is. There's not many scenes that use her weaknesses to build her strengths. She's just Fang.

Monica Raybrandt from Dark Cloud 2. I don't know, but she was likable from the beginning. And her voice actress, Anndi McAfee did an amazing job. There's this sort of understanding and unrelenting force behind her. She's stubborn at times but she's also reasonable with many things. And considering the whole "I'm from the future in ruins" thing, Monica is wise beyond her years.

Ashelia "Ashe" B'nargin Dalmasca and Fran from Final Fantasy XII. Simply put, these two were of prestigious birth; Ashe was a noble and Fran was from the Wood. They abandoned that identity for the better good. Fran was usually calm about everything. Anything she did was smooth. Ashe as far as I remember was really dynamic. She let's her heart be heard.

Lyndis from Fire Emblem. As far as I am in Fire Emblem, Lyn just does what she wants, usually. She has dignity and integrity while not coming off as arrogant, proud, or snobbish.

Carmelita Montoya Fox from the Sly Cooper series. Despite having inconsistent voice actresses, Carmelita's relationship with Sly is funny. She commands basically everyone. At one point in Thieves in Time, Carmelita seems to be the one wearing the pants in the relationship; ironic since Sly looks like he's not wearing pants and Carmelita in Thieves in Times wears a skirt. But, Carmelita isn't as cold as everyone thinks. She's a good cop who knowing her criminals treats them humanely if they deserve it. Like Clockwerk would not get that treatment, but Bentley and Murray would. Sly's an exception since he's almost like a pest to her.

Maya, Lilith, Tiny Tina, Mad Moxxi, and I guess Ellie and Patricia Tannis from Borderlands series. Everyone in this series is crazy. Crazy good, crazy bad, or just plain crazy. And that's what makes them so interesting.

Chloe Frazer from the Uncharted series. Eh, she's like Fang I guess and I'm not saying that because they both have Australian voice actresses.

Olga Gurlukovich from the Metal Gear franchise, specifically Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Olga is the perfect example of a loving mother. She'll do whatever to protect her child, Sunny. And sadly and cruelly, she never even got to meet Sunny. Talk about evil unto a mother.

Momohime from Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Okay, so you don't play as her much; you play as Jinkuro Izuna who possesses her body. Momohime, not Jinkuro-Momohime, is the sort of person who can forgive despite however grave something is. She forgave basically everyone and reasoned their actions. Because of this, some people slowly changed their ways by her example. Revenge is easy, forgiveness isn't.

Aqua from the Kingdom Hearts series, specifically Birth By Sleep. Typical wise, rational, and powerful person. She sacrifices many things to save her friends. At the same time, she's one of the most powerful magic users in the series. Aqua's no pushover when it comes to fighting.

Eirika from Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and almost every female character in the Fire Emblem series. Fire Emblem, I think is one of the few series out there that have more than a handful of female main characters in each game or the series as a whole. I don't know much about Eirika though, but I know that her brother, Ephraim was said to have the potential to be the most powerful Lord in the series. But I might have heard wrong.

Female (and male) Shepard from Mass Effect. You define her/his character. Of course she/he is epic. Unless you intentionally make a crappy Shepard. Then that doesn't apply.

Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy 1. I don't know. I just like her. Mother of all Lumas, well, surrogate mother.

King from the King of Fighters franchise. Let's see, she's French and fights with a Muay Thai, kick-boxing, and potentially Savate fighting style. The only thing is that she tries to hide her gender for some reason that escapes me. Otherwise, she kicks ass.

Leanne from Resonance of Fate. She's funny with a twisted past. I'm running out of things to say as this drags on, sorry.

Seth Balmore from Lost Odyssey. An immortal warrior who also happens to be the mother of a man twice her physical age - she's immortal and her son "being" older not being obvious enough . . . I don't know what to say. The game talks about the price of immortality and her story revolves around that too. Shame that Lost Odyssey was only for the Xbox 360 and a PC port never made it into existence.

Katherine "Kate" Marlowe from Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. She apparently is a devious villain compared to other villains from past games. Marlowe knows and has everything to break you and make you do anything for her.

There's obviously more, but I've run out of what to say. Tales series, Persona franchise, Catherine, inFamous, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, other Final Fantasies, etc.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Ada wong and Claire Redfield from the Resident evil series
Lara croft from Tomb raider
Lightning from FFXIII

Tifa lockhart(FFVII) - By far the best female character in gaming for me.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I'm curious to know why you despise female characters. :p
Because for the most part they appear to fall into one or more of three categories:

1) Ball-breakers who need a good slap
2) Whiny little helpless girly-girls who need a good slap
3) Over-sexualised fan-service type females who need a good slap (although they'd probably REALLY enjoy it)

*awaits angry feminist rebuttal* :D

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Because for the most part they appear to fall into one or more of three categories:

1) Ball-breakers who need a good slap
2) Whiny little helpless girly-girls who need a good slap
3) Over-sexualised fan-service type females who need a good slap (although they'd probably REALLY enjoy it)

*awaits angry feminist rebuttal* :D
I'd like it if female characters were a mixture of being able to hold their own in a fight, but still need help if the chips are down, combined with some kind of emotional side, but not too emotional that it would compromise the mission.

I'm tired of seeing innocent damsel in distress or female characters treating guys like crap or characters with tits everywhere and no personality. Can't we have a normal female?:/

I'm hoping bioshock infinite changes this. Elizabeth seems like an innocent girl who needs to be rescued and she is literally locked in a tower, but she also has these amazing and deadly powers which is why she was locked away. I've seen trailers where she comes off as almost naive, but other times where I see the potential for her to really cause some harm as she awakens to what's going on in the world. I'm really hopeful that she'll be a decent female character.

Top Bottom