• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's Make A DMC Game! Discussion #1: Themes, Story, and Narrative

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Sooo that means DMC 2 takes place after 20 years or so after DMC 4 ??

Is there still that much time gap between DMC 1&2 ? even after covering all in Anime and DMC4 because its obvious to me that if any game takes place before DMC 2 its not its not going to progress the story in a healthy way

not really, i just used that as an example.

the thing is no one really told how much time passes between each game or each story so you kind of have to guess or draw your own conclusions.

I would avoid going past 2 ill you have a solid gameplan. Thats why 4 and the anime were so bad.

KtWtWiS43

I think what's cool about all the games, is watching the story of Dante take shape. After different developers/directors/teams have all shaped different Devil May Cry games, it kind of adds something new to the mythology each time. It's like a bunch of tall tales or stories that have been passed down from so long ago, that no one knows at what point someone added something new to it that wasn't part of the story originally. In terms of the physicality of Dante, or character attitudes (with perhaps DMC2 being the exception, due to terrible script writing) every addition to the DMC universe through the games, comics, anime, etc. all kind of coalesce into an amalgamation of DMC's history. For me, it makes Dante's story rich and interesting. It's like each story, told through the various media sources, contain a fragment of who Dante is. Singularly, they don't really show Dante as a whole. But together, held up to the light, you can see a complete, fully realized Dante. You can see where the narrative succeeded and where it failed, and ultimately, where Dante as a character truly lies. The same could even be said of the new DmC game. While it offers nothing to the main series canon, it does show another interpretation of Dante, however inferior, which can be added to Dante's mythos. In this way, I do consider all of the games other than the reboot, as well as the animated series, canon with the main series. As far as details like Dante's terrible attitude in 2, or his muscular appearance in 4, they are minor details in what ultimately is Dante's mythology and can be left up to the interpretation. What's most important is the story. And I agree vehemently, that in order for a true story to continue, the next Devil May Cry game must take place after DMC2, in order to continue the natural flow of story telling.

Dante47

I think what's cool about all the games, is watching the story of Dante take shape. After different developers/directors/teams have all shaped different Devil May Cry games, it kind of adds something new to the mythology each time. It's like a bunch of tall tales or stories that have been passed down from so long ago, that no one knows at what point someone added something new to it that wasn't part of the story originally. In terms of the physicality of Dante, or character attitudes (with perhaps DMC2 being the exception, due to terrible script writing) every addition to the DMC universe through the games, comics, anime, etc. all kind of coalesce into an amalgamation of DMC's history. For me, it makes Dante's story rich and interesting. It's like each story, told through the various media sources, contain a fragment of who Dante is. Singularly, they don't really show Dante as a whole. But together, held up to the light, you can see a complete, fully realized Dante. You can see where the narrative succeeded and where it failed, and ultimately, where Dante as a character truly lies. The same could even be said of the new DmC game. While it offers nothing to the main series canon, it does show another interpretation of Dante, however inferior, which can be added to Dante's mythos. In this way, I do consider all of the games other than the reboot, as well as the animated series, canon with the main series. As far as details like Dante's terrible attitude in 2, or his muscular appearance in 4, they are minor details in what ultimately is Dante's mythology and can be left up to the interpretation. What's most important is the story. And I agree vehemently, that in order for a true story to continue, the next Devil May Cry game must take place after DMC2, in order to continue the natural flow of story telling.
This would also explain the huge contrasts in art design as well. You could even compare it to the multiple interpretations of Christ. Some believe him purely Divine, others thought of as just a man, and some say he was something in between. Anyway, your explanation is one of the best I've heard, and gives me a much better out look on the franchise.

Railazel

That's a nice outlook on things, but we still need a consistent story. Personally, I would prefer it if they do a sequel to DMC 1.

KtWtWiS43

This would also explain the huge contrasts in art design as well. You could even compare it to the multiple interpretations of Christ. Some believe him purely Divine, others thought of as just a man, and some say he was something in between. Anyway, your explanation is one of the best I've heard, and gives me a much better out look on the franchise.

Thanks alot man, you gotta work with what you have, ha. Although arguabley a more linear story in the franchise is needed to tie everything together in my opinion

That's a nice outlook on things, but we still need a consistent story. Personally, I would prefer it if they do a sequel to DMC 1.

I totally agree they need a consistant story for the games. Although, I'd have to disagree with a DMC1 sequel unless they could bring something new to the story. Thus far, the best games (DMC1 and DMC3) are marked noticably by an excellent story arc for Dante. Aided with impressive set pieces and a much grander scale than DMC2 and 4, Dante's personal growth in DMC1 and 3 made the games as a whole infinitely more worthwhile to play and experiene. In DMC3 he started out as a cocky kid and finally became the man we see at the end of DMC1. And then at the end of DMC1, he's defeated Vergil and Mundus, his search for the answers as to who murdered his mother have been resolved, and Trish's introduction into his life has made Dante's character more whole. After seeing the confidant man he is in DMC4, it's clear that Dante has reached his prime, having finally confronted his demons and solved the questions of his mother's death so that he may finally make peace with his past. Although he's infinitely less interesting than the conflicted man in DMC1, his appearance in DMC4 solidifies that no significant character change occurs in the storyline between DMC1 and DMC2. If you're suggesting that the existing canon be re-written for such a change to be added, I'm sure it could be done. But as I'm sure you know by now, I feel like the cards are stacked just right for a DMC5 that would tie the series together. The promise is just too good to pass up

Railazel

If you're suggesting that the existing canon be re-written for such a change to be added, I'm sure it could be done. But as I'm sure you know by now, I feel like the cards are stacked just right for a DMC5 that would tie the series together. The promise is just too good to pass up

If there's going to be a DMC 5, it has to be a pretty sad and traumatic story for Dante, which I do not want because I don't like sad stories with a character like Dante.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
If there's going to be a DMC 5, it has to be a pretty sad and traumatic story for Dante, which I do not want because I don't like sad stories with a character like Dante.

Why ? just because Dante was a little bit gloomy and the story was absent in DMC2 you conclude that DMC5 would be sad and traumatic ???

HE looked B.A just like an dark enhancement over DMC1's dante's appearance he just never got any punch lines to deliver

and i don't think it has to be sad it can be bittersweet

Railazel

Why ? just because Dante was a little bit gloomy and the story was absent in DMC2 you conclude that DMC5 would be sad and traumatic ???

A little bit gloomy? He flipped a coin on an old lady's request. Basically, he's the inverse of himself in DMC 1. That's a huge character change, one that'll take a pretty sad story to explain.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
A little bit gloomy? He flipped a coin on an old lady's request. Basically, he's the inverse of himself in DMC 1. That's a huge character change, one that'll take a pretty sad story to explain.

I'd call that a bad scripting not change in his personality

Dante47

I wouldn't mind. A tragic tale is far over due for Devil May Cry. It needs more realism, and should be more grounded in my opinion. Maybe not a depressing story, but something gritty, and I feel like it would have a gothic atmosphere.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I wouldn't mind. A tragic tale is far over due for Devil May Cry. It needs more realism, and should be more grounded in my opinion. Maybe not a depressing story, but something gritty, and I feel like it would have a gothic atmosphere.

Yeah you're right a Title named "Devil may cry" isn't for the weak-hearted just look at God of war 3 how brutal it is its actually the most stress relieving game made on earth when you feel irritated you just plug in your ps3 and rip some bloody monsters

TIME PARADOX!! :blink:
Exactly what i was thinking yesterday but forgot to post :blink:

Top Bottom