• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's Make A DMC Game! Discussion #1: Themes, Story, and Narrative

Railazel

I just came from the forums of KH Insider, a leading website for Kingdom Hearts much like we are a leader for DMC, and they made a topic describing a hypothetical situation where members would pretend to put a team together and come up. I thought it would be a good idea to do the same thing.

First off, I would like to expland on what this topic's about. Let's say that DmC failed and Capcom doesn't know what to do with the DMC series. So, it looks towards us, DMC. org, to see if we can come up with something that'll inspire them to create a new game (again, this is merely hypothetical). Our job is to split ourselves into teams and come up with ideas for story, characters, and gameplay.

Our first topic is Story, Themes, and Narrative. The question is: "What new kind of story could we make up for the DMC franchise?" The first thing to do is to think of a theme that'll bring DMC into new territory, so it can't be the same as the themes of the previous games. After you think of a theme, think of how you will turn the theme into a story and elaborate on that idea. Turn your process into an actual story and, voila, you have your product.

Here are essential questions that you have to think about it to help in your idea:
  • What is your theme?
  • How does your theme evolve the DMC franchise?
  • What devices will you use to create your story?
  • How will those devices aid in telling the story and portraying your theme?
  • While creating you story, what point of view will you tell it from?
  • How will this perspective aid in story- telling?
  • What kind of setting and events will you use?
  • How will these events advance the story?
  • What kind of characters will you use?
  • How will these characters grow?
Here's an example of how to answer these questions:
What is your theme? How does your theme evolve the DMC franchise?
Our theme would be how the love of a father can transcend time. (Here, I'lll expand on my theme to form a message) Since blood is thicker than water, then love can go beyond one's lifetime and be felt by his children and help shape their hopes and even their destiny. (Now I'll go on to the second question) Because the Legend of Sparda is a large part of the series and one of its biggest mysteries, having a theme focusing on Sparda will add insight and depth to the series' characters and events. It'll give us a view on who Sparda is, what he had done during his rebellion, how he had felt about his sons, what he did to portray that love, and how those actions affected what happened in the story. Furthermore, it'll add depth to how Dante and Vergil felt about their father, why they felt that way, and how those feelings change as they learn more about him.

Again, these questions are meant to aid but you can post your answers here on the topic. It is good to remember that this is a team effort and your answers should reflect that.

So, let's have at it, shall we? I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Next topic will be on Art Direction.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Heck, there's more to it than just a story. That's why I said that you need to find a pretend team to work with.

Oh yeah! haha. Okay then.

• What is your theme?

Our theme would be like the old DMC mixed with DmC. European schemed cities mixed with dark castles of Gothic design.

We would like to add some normal Hack n' Slash mixed with slap stick comedy and some intese moments added. This will preserve the great style of action, mixed with the same over the top style of DMC. The serious moments will bring an intense feel into the characters and how they are expressed.

We want to tell it from Nero, Dante, and Vergil's point of view, each going through a different mission. This intern, tells their emotions, thus getting a different feel on each character, and that intern will reflect in playing as them. When playing as Dante, you showoff, but when playing as Vergil, you quickly end the demons's lives.

We also plan to bring the baddest enemies of DMC, from Mundus, to Sanctus. All of which are ordered by the King of Hell.(Note: Mundus is Prince of hell) I don't want to go too much into detail about the story, but it will be Dante's biggest challenge.

We plan to use the normal DMC characters; Dante, Vergil, Lady, Trish, Nero, Lucia, Patty, Morrison, Enzo, and possibly others. Including three "special" characters.

Like Tameen, I don't want to reveal everything.

All this is actually what I want to do with my Fanfic, sooo...yeah^_^

Railazel

Oh yeah! haha. Okay then.

• What is your theme?
Our theme would be like the old DMC mixed with DmC. European schemed cities mixed with dark castles of Gothic design.

We would like to add some normal Hack n' Slash mixed with slap stick comedy and some intese moments added. This will preserve the great style of action, mixed with the same over the top style of DMC. The serious moments will bring an intense feel into the characters and how they are expressed.

We want to tell it from Nero, Dante, and Vergil's point of view, each going through a different mission. This intern, tells their emotions, thus getting a different feel on each character, and that intern will reflect in playing as them. When playing as Dante, you showoff, but when playing as Vergil, you quickly end the demons's lives.

We also plan to bring the baddest enemies of DMC, from Mundus, to Sanctus. All of which are ordered by the King of Hell.(Note: Mundus is Prince of hell) I don't want to go too much into detail about the story, but it will be Dante's biggest challenge.

We plan to use the normal DMC characters; Dante, Vergil, Lady, Trish, Nero, Lucia, Patty, Morrison, Enzo, and possibly others. Including three "special" characters.

Like Tameen, I don't want to reveal everything.

All this is actually what I want to do with my Fanfic, sooo...yeah^_^
I think it would work better if you gave us a prompt.

Yeah, you might be right. I'll start off with a basic question:
What is your theme? A theme is defined as the message the author is trying to present in his piece. For example, "Good always triumphs over evil" is a theme.

Your answer should be like the example of my first post.

DragonMaster2010

Yeah, you might be right. I'll start off with a basic question:

Your answer should be like the example of my first post.

Oh! That theme:p...Hmmm...Not sure on that, but the best definition is "Too bring peace, sacrifices must be made."

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
by prompt, i just meant something more like whether or not you wanted the game to focus on dante or one of the other characters or what time in the timeline do you want it to took place.

i guess im interested in post-dmc3 dante trying to figure out what it means to be a hero.

DragonMaster2010

by prompt, i just meant something more like whether or not you wanted the game to focus on dante or one of the other characters or what time in the timeline do you want it to took place.

i guess im interested in post-dmc3 dante trying to figure out what it means to be a hero.

Didn't the manga do that?

Dante47

How about a remake of DMC4?

Story: Nero is a troubled individual. Though his lover, Kyrie is supportive and loving, he does not tell her he is haunted by something unordinary. Something inhuman.
Demons.
He believes it is connected through his unknown past. So he joins an Order that worships a Demon, to Kyrie's dislike.
Upon joining, he learns of the Dark Knight Sparda, the protecter of humans and betrayer of his kin. He feels a bond to Sparda, and feels that he is connected.
But he also hears rumors of the white haired man Dante. the owner of Devil May Cry. Nero also is suspicious of him, as they both have naturally white hair.
Nero hears from a man in the Order, Kyrie's brother, that Dante is secretly a demon hunter and could help Nero with his demon issue.

Here's a little script of Nero going into Devil May Cry, seeking Dante's help.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Nero enters Devil May Cry through the entrance, his sword holstered on his back. Dante sits at his desk, legs crossed on the table, reclining in his chair.

Dante: Nature calls? Bathroom is in the-

Nero pulls his sword out and quickly brandishes it to Dante's jugular.

Nero (angrily): I don't need the bathroom. I want information on Sparda.

Dante casually looks at Nero, then flips backward out of his chair. He grabs Ebony & Ivory off the and spins behind Nero, pointing the guns at the back of his head. This happens so fast, Nero doesn't even know he's gone until the guns touches his head.

Dante: Where does a kid like you hear about Sparda?

Nero quickly turns and slashes at Dante, only to find he no longer there, rather standing on of the table, behind Nero with Rebellion in his hands.

Nero: I'm asking because I heard you are the son of Sparda! I believe I am connected to him as well!

Dante: Yeah right kid, with your skills? There's no way.

Dante then jumps off the table and with his sword raised high drops down to attack Nero. Nero steps back just in time. Dante looks up, confused, only to be uppercutted by Nero. Dante flys backs, landing on the ground.

Dante: Not bad kid, now show me whatya got!

(What follows is a boss battle where players control Nero and fight Dante.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

After Nero defeats Dante, he accepts that he is connected to Sparda and agrees to help him discover his origins and who is hunting him down.

So what do you think?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
^ they might not go with it a it could be seen as a waste of resources but good idea.

for my dmc4 remake, i wanted the firsct couple of stages to be set in the past showing us how nero got his DB so that could work for a tutorial.

Dante47

^ they might not go with it a it could be seen as a waste of resources but good idea.

for my dmc4 remake, i wanted the firsct couple of stages to be set in the past showing us how nero got his DB so that could work for a tutorial.
Oh, I just pretended that the DB didn't exist! I felt that it was gimmicky and just to easy to use.

KtWtWiS43

My thoughts on a true sequel to the Devil May Cry franchise, following Devil May Cry 2. Essentially, this game would be a true: Devil May Cry 5
  • What is your theme?
Overcoming the past, bringing everything back into balance
In what has the potential to be the last major chapter of Dante's story in the Devil May Cry universe, the theme of breaking away from fate, overcoming the mistakes of our ancestor's, and bringing something new and bright into the world, has the potential to shake the very foundations of the series. What makes the Devil May Cry universe so compelling is that each of the characters are so very flawed in their own ways. Each character essentially carries a major trauma that defines the course of their lives, up until this point in the story. For the series story arc to truly come full circle, each character must face their traumas. Some will overcome them, others will succumb to them. But ultimately, each character will be tested, which thusly provides the primary narrative of the game.
The idea of the "Sins of the Father," would be the primary device. Its presence in the story would serve to both illustrate and define character relationships, as well as to symbolize the idea that the sins of the past generation are affecting the next generation. Thusly, all the characters are tied together by the inherited sins they must atone for, so that future generations may given the chance to start with a clean slate.

How will those devices aid in telling the story and portraying your theme?

"A son cleaning up this father's mess huh? Where have I heard this story before?"
-Dante (to Beowulf in Devil May Cry 3)

To expand upon the idea of the "Sins of the Father," first, let's start with the idea that Sparda was not perfect. He did save the human world and led a just and noble life, but like anyone else, he made mistakes. Not to imply that Sparda's betrayal of his race was the wrong descision to make, or that his actions were any less than just, but it is undeniable that Sparda's actions forever changed the relationship between the Human World and Demon World for the next 2,000 years, which left the next generation with the terrible burden of dealing with the vast repurcussions which would follow. This burden must therefore be addressed and set right. Thus, not only does Dante's character inherit Sparda's blood, but also the burden of Sparda's betryal of his race.

Another of Sparda's sins, is thusly exemplified in his son Vergil. As stated before, despite the fact that Sparda only sought to do what he felt was right, his actions would inevitabley change the face of both worlds. Vergil is yet another of the repurcussions of Sparda's actions. In seeking to save the Human World, Sparda ironically fathered the one devil that could potentially destroy it. This is yet another of Dante's tasks to set right.

The last of Sparda's known sins is made clear to gamers in Devil May Cry 3, with the revelation that he sacrificed a human woman to seal Teminigru. This sin however, is something Dante has already begun to set right; through his close friendship with Lady, who is the sacrificed woman's ancestor. But to bring both of their stories full circle, the context of the narrative would suggest that Lady must eventually become Dante's wife, which would fully reconcile the bloody past that their ancestors shared, as well as finally resolving their own feelings for one another.

In essence, the idea of "cleaning up Sparda's mess," however well intentioned it was, would serve to illustrate the main theme of the game as stated above, as well as to fully resolve Dante as a character and the universe of Devil May Cry. And although Dante's arc is the one fully expressed in this section (with light touches from Lady and Vergil) ALL of the characters must face their own demons in this way, to bring the story to a satisfying concusion.

While creating your story, what point of view will you tell it from?
Maybe even more so than before, the world needs Dante. With this curious new "DmC" title from Ninja Theory sidelining the main story line, fans have been left with the feeling that Dante may forever remain trapped in the Underworld following the events of Devil May Cry 2, both literally and figuratively. Thus, it's a funny thought, considering how desperately the true Dante is needed both inside and out of the game. Therefore to illustrate this point, the beginning of DMC5 should be told from Trish's perspective as both the characters and fans are left in a state of shock, wondering what has become of our beloved hero. Following Dante's return, the narrative would focus on the true star of the series: Dante himself.

It should be noted that Dante's absence would not go unnnoticed by the local demon community. This would inevitably put a great deal of stress on Trish to go on the defensive for damage control, to keep the demons at bay, who would be newly invigorated with the knowledge of Dante's disappearance.

Understanding where all of the characters are coming from is essential in understanding why Trish and Dante would be the most important perspectives in terms of the narrative of the game. Fans of the series would be so excited to finally have another game featuring Hideki Kamiya's Dante, that giving the reins to Trish would only accentuate the excitment leading up to Dante's return, a moment that's been over 9 years in the making. Also, considering the need to introduce all of the series's characters, assemble them, and organize them, Trish presents the most level headed perspective to bring everything together for the audience. With the addition that she is in the main leadership role until Dante's return, Trish offers the best perspective to put the audience into the world of the game, and help the audience understand the unique problems and difficulties that the characters face, in the wake of Dante's absence. Trish's perspective would last until Dante returns, which would mark the end of the game's introductory missions, with the player feeling the victory of being given control of the true Dante character once more.

When Dante does finally return from the Underworld, the knowledge that Dante brings with him will lay the foundation for the game's ultimate conflict, and therefore, the direction that the story must take. With the fans having waited so long, Dante must remain the main playable character for the rest of the story, as the Devil May Cry series has always been Dante's story. Therefore, Dante's perspective is the one that is sorely neeeded to drive the game and provide the true Devil May Cry experience needed to make the DMC5 installment that fans of the series deserve.
Familiar locations such as the Devil May Cry Office, Fortuna, the Underworld, and Vie de Marli, are all neccesary to the plot, and offer impressive set pieces for the game's story, beyond just fan-service. A return to a sunken Mallet Island would also serve to bring back a sense of nostalgia to players as well. The major events that would take place at these locations would incude the deaths of major characters, the introduction of major plot elements, and ultimately the end of the series as a whole narrative work.

The events in the story would essentially drive each character closer and closer to achieving what the theme promises: Overcoming the past. But even more than that, the events of the story would offer an uncompromising look at humanity, the triumph of the human spirit, and the healing power of love.
Main Cast Listing:

Dante
Lady
Trish
Vergil
Nero
Lucia
Kyrie
Enzo
Matier
Mundus
Sparda
Eva

How will these characters grow?
As stated many times, the characters are what drive the story of Devil May Cry. In order to accomplish a thrilling and emotionally satisfying conclusion to the series, the characters must face their demons, and the characters left standing must learn to take the lessons they've learned and continue living. Undoubtedly, the series hasn't seen a plot as inticing or satisfying as the plot of the original Devil May Cry. And with each subsequent game that is released, the Devil May Cry universe has more than enough characters to create a compelling and original narrative. However, at the rate things have been going for the series, Dante deserves a true sendoff. Wasting away in sub par sequels or half baked re-boots is hardly a fitting end to one of videogames greatest characters. Thus, the series demands the fitting conclusion it deserves; a conclusion that can only be met by the full circle made by the growth of the series's characters.

Railazel

My thoughts on a true sequel to the Devil May Cry franchise, following Devil May Cry 2. Essentially, this game would be a true: Devil May Cry 5
  • What is your theme?
Overcoming the past, bringing everything back into balance

In what has the potential to be the last major chapter of Dante's story in the Devil May Cry universe, the theme of breaking away from fate, overcoming the mistakes of our ancestor's, and bringing something new and bright into the world, has the potential to shake the very foundations of the series. What makes the Devil May Cry universe so compelling is that each of the characters are so very flawed in their own ways. Each character essentially carries a major trauma that defines the course of their lives, up until this point in the story. For the series story arc to truly come full circle, each character must face their traumas. Some will overcome them, others will succumb to them. But ultimately, each character will be tested, which thusly provides the primary narrative of the game.

The idea of the "Sins of the Father," would be the primary device. Its presence in the story would serve to both illustrate and define character relationships, as well as to symbolize the idea that the sins of the past generation are affecting the next generation. Thusly, all the characters are tied together by the inherited sins they must atone for, so that future generations may given the chance to start with a clean slate.

How will those devices aid in telling the story and portraying your theme?

"A son cleaning up this father's mess huh? Where have I heard this story before?"
-Dante (to Beowulf in Devil May Cry 3)

To expand upon the idea of the "Sins of the Father," first, let's start with the idea that Sparda was not perfect. He did save the human world and led a just and noble life, but like anyone else, he made mistakes. Not to imply that Sparda's betrayal of his race was the wrong descision to make, or that his actions were any less than just, but it is undeniable that Sparda's actions forever changed the relationship between the Human World and Demon World for the next 2,000 years, which left the next generation with the terrible burden of dealing with the vast repurcussions which would follow. This burden must therefore be addressed and set right. Thus, not only does Dante's character inherit Sparda's blood, but also the burden of Sparda's betryal of his race.

Another of Sparda's sins, is thusly exemplified in his son Vergil. As stated before, despite the fact that Sparda only sought to do what he felt was right, his actions would inevitabley change the face of both worlds. Vergil is yet another of the repurcussions of Sparda's actions. In seeking to save the Human World, Sparda ironically fathered the one devil that could potentially destroy it. This is yet another of Dante's tasks to set right.

The last of Sparda's known sins is made clear to gamers in Devil May Cry 3, with the revelation that he sacrificed a human woman to seal Teminigru. This sin however, is something Dante has already begun to set right; through his close friendship with Lady, who is the sacrificed woman's ancestor. But to bring both of their stories full circle, the context of the narrative would suggest that Lady must eventually become Dante's wife, which would fully reconcile the bloody past that their ancestors shared, as well as finally resolving their own feelings for one another.

In essence, the idea of "cleaning up Sparda's mess," however well intentioned it was, would serve to illustrate the main theme of the game as stated above, as well as to fully resolve Dante as a character and the universe of Devil May Cry. And although Dante's arc is the one fully expressed in this section (with light touches from Lady and Vergil) ALL of the characters must face their own demons in this way, to bring the story to a satisfying concusion.

While creating your story, what point of view will you tell it from?
Maybe even more so than before, the world needs Dante. With this curious new "DmC" title from Ninja Theory sidelining the main story line, fans have been left with the feeling that Dante may forever remain trapped in the Underworld following the events of Devil May Cry 2, both literally and figuratively. Thus, it's a funny thought, considering how desperately the true Dante is needed both inside and out of the game. Therefore to illustrate this point, the beginning of DMC5 should be told from Trish's perspective as both the characters and fans are left in a state of shock, wondering what has become of our beloved hero. Following Dante's return, the narrative would focus on the true star of the series: Dante himself.

It should be noted that Dante's absence would not go unnnoticed by the local demon community. This would inevitably put a great deal of stress on Trish to go on the defensive for damage control, to keep the demons at bay, who would be newly invigorated with the knowledge of Dante's disappearance.

Understanding where all of the characters are coming from is essential in understanding why Trish and Dante would be the most important perspectives in terms of the narrative of the game. Fans of the series would be so excited to finally have another game featuring Hideki Kamiya's Dante, that giving the reins to Trish would only accentuate the excitment leading up to Dante's return, a moment that's been over 9 years in the making. Also, considering the need to introduce all of the series's characters, assemble them, and organize them, Trish presents the most level headed perspective to bring everything together for the audience. With the addition that she is in the main leadership role until Dante's return, Trish offers the best perspective to put the audience into the world of the game, and help the audience understand the unique problems and difficulties that the characters face, in the wake of Dante's absence. Trish's perspective would last until Dante returns, which would mark the end of the game's introductory missions, with the player feeling the victory of being given control of the true Dante character once more.

When Dante does finally return from the Underworld, the knowledge that Dante brings with him will lay the foundation for the game's ultimate conflict, and therefore, the direction that the story must take. With the fans having waited so long, Dante must remain the main playable character for the rest of the story, as the Devil May Cry series has always been Dante's story. Therefore, Dante's perspective is the one that is sorely neeeded to drive the game and provide the true Devil May Cry experience needed to make the DMC5 installment that fans of the series deserve.
Familiar locations such as the Devil May Cry Office, Fortuna, the Underworld, and Vie de Marli, are all neccesary to the plot, and offer impressive set pieces for the game's story, beyond just fan-service. A return to a sunken Mallet Island would also serve to bring back a sense of nostalgia to players as well. The major events that would take place at these locations would incude the deaths of major characters, the introduction of major plot elements, and ultimately the end of the series as a whole narrative work.

The events in the story would essentially drive each character closer and closer to achieving what the theme promises: Overcoming the past. But even more than that, the events of the story would offer an uncompromising look at humanity, the triumph of the human spirit, and the healing power of love.

Main Cast Listing:

Dante
Lady
Trish
Vergil
Nero
Lucia
Kyrie
Enzo
Matier
Mundus
Sparda
Eva

How will these characters grow?
As stated many times, the characters are what drive the story of Devil May Cry. In order to accomplish a thrilling and emotionally satisfying conclusion to the series, the characters must face their demons, and the characters left standing must learn to take the lessons they've learned and continue living. Undoubtedly, the series hasn't seen a plot as inticing or satisfying as the plot of the original Devil May Cry. And with each subsequent game that is released, the Devil May Cry universe has more than enough characters to create a compelling and original narrative. However, at the rate things have been going for the series, Dante deserves a true sendoff. Wasting away in sub par sequels or half baked re-boots is hardly a fitting end to one of videogames greatest characters. Thus, the series demands the fitting conclusion it deserves; a conclusion that can only be met by the full circle made by the growth of the series's characters.

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful! Nice job.

Railazel

How about a remake of DMC4?

Story: Nero is a troubled individual. Though his lover, Kyrie is supportive and loving, he does not tell her he is haunted by something unordinary. Something inhuman.
Demons.
He believes it is connected through his unknown past. So he joins an Order that worships a Demon, to Kyrie's dislike.
Upon joining, he learns of the Dark Knight Sparda, the protecter of humans and betrayer of his kin. He feels a bond to Sparda, and feels that he is connected.
But he also hears rumors of the white haired man Dante. the owner of Devil May Cry. Nero also is suspicious of him, as they both have naturally white hair.
Nero hears from a man in the Order, Kyrie's brother, that Dante is secretly a demon hunter and could help Nero with his demon issue.

Here's a little script of Nero going into Devil May Cry, seeking Dante's help.
Nero enters Devil May Cry through the entrance, his sword holstered on his back. Dante sits at his desk, legs crossed on the table, reclining in his chair.

Dante: Nature calls? Bathroom is in the-

Nero pulls his sword out and quickly brandishes it to Dante's jugular.

Nero (angrily): I don't need the bathroom. I want information on Sparda.

Dante casually looks at Nero, then flips backward out of his chair. He grabs Ebony & Ivory off the and spins behind Nero, pointing the guns at the back of his head. This happens so fast, Nero doesn't even know he's gone until the guns touch head.

Dante: Where does a kid like you hear about Sparda?

Nero quickly turns and slashes at Dante, only to find he no longer there, rather standing on of the table, behind Nero with Rebellion in his hands.

Nero: I'm asking because I heard you are the son of Sparda! I believe I am connected to him as well!

Dante: Yeah right kid, with your skills? There's no way.

Dante then jumps off the table and with his sword raised high drops down to attack Nero. Nero steps back just in time. Dante looks up, confused, only to be uppercutted by Nero. Dante flys backs, landing on the ground.

Dante: Not bad kid, now show me whatya got!

(What follows is a boss battle where players control Nero and fight Dante.)

After Nero defeats Dante, he accepts that he is connected to Sparda and agrees to help him discover his origins and who is hunting him down.

So what do you think?

Whoops, almost missed ya.

I like the concept, but what exactly is the theme here?

I understand that this is a remake of DMC 4, but that game didn't really have a message. I would suggest having a theme because that could add motivation to why Nero needs to know his ancestry.

EDIT: I apologize for double posting.

Top Bottom