• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let it out people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Darkslayer

The Roguedemonhunter
RAGE!

I'm just angry that DMC is going to lose it's gothic feel and that we'll never see a conclusion to the characters I know and love. They're ruining a perfectly good series just to get a few extra bucks. This reboot didn't need to happen.

Potsi

Had to register just so I can get this off my chest...

WTF is this sh*t!?

A reboot of a series that isn't even that old yet. Why the hell did Ninja Theory have to make Dante into some emo turd who looks like he should be in Twilight or some sh*t?!

This abomination of a Devil May Cry game better have some major changes done to it if they aim on old fans buying this piece of garbage.

Yeah ok, the game play might be top notch, but Dante?! Why in the f*ck did they have to mess with Dante?!

Change the characters name for f*ck sake, cos that ain't Dante! More like Adam Lambert.

"Old Dante isn't cool anymore" my balls! Ninja Theory isn't and never will be cool by f*cking up a game franchise that fans have loved since the first game came out.

They probably thought "Hey, lets go f*ck up a game series that has a massive fan base and watch them nerdrage about it on the internet" Well Ninja Theory, you certainly succeeded in that!

Be it as good a game as it may, I'm sure as hell not buying it 'cos in my book that ain't Devil May Cry.

Why fix something that ain't broken? Oh wait, you f*cked up Dante, now go fix him!

Just my opinion... :verymad:

DelusionalAlchemist

Ninja theory said that he wasn't cool anymore, What they don't- and could never hope to understand is that true style doesn't go out of fashion. Dante doesn't give a flying **** what other people think so he'll dress the way he damn well pleases. And that's cool and always will be.
They also said that he'd get laughed out of a bar.
Yeah... laugh at a guy who's carrying what looks like two desert eagles (I don't really know what they are...they seem to change from game to game) and a massive sword that's bigger than you are... I dare you.
They said they were going to take it beyond a normal brawler.
What the hell does that mean?
Taking away the already existing combat system, it's like trying to eat a chocolate bar without any sugar. It tastes like crap.
It took them a YEAR to come up with Dante's new look?!
it took a year to turn him into a fag. :mad:
the lead designer said something about disenfranchised youth.
If twilight is what this generation is, then I refute my peers and they can now consider me an old fart of a 16 year old.
some people say the new Dante is hot.
well, he makes an ugly guy (and an uglier girl XD).

on another note, This game could be cool if they changed his name and the title as it bears no inkling of a resemblance to devil may cry.

As corny and pathetic as this sounds, Dante has helped me in so many ways it's not even funny.
Even though he's just a game character, he's helped me find the strength to fight off a serious illness.
I'd like to see the new 'Dante' live up to that.

glad I got that off my chest.:cool:

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
DelusionalAlchemist;278963 said:
It took them a YEAR to come up with Dante's new look?!

i quite like dantes new look personally. it definitely gives off more of an 'attitude' vibe. not to mention it makes him look more borderline insane, which i've always thought was a great character trait. to put it bluntly, he looks like a ****ing rock star. all in all (is all we are), if they can take such a strongly toned character design, and match it in in-game story and character developement it could be an extremely outstanding title.

you hardcore dmc fans may hate it, but this game has potential to bring a new crowd of gamers to devil may cry.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
DelusionalAlchemist; said:
the lead designer said something about disenfranchised youth.
If twilight is what this generation is, then I refute my peers and they can now consider me an old fart of a 16 year old.
some people say the new Dante is hot.
well, he makes an ugly guy (and an uglier girl XD).

lol...I totally agree with that point...Dino sure is no well known for being a guy with good looks... i read somewhere that some DMC fans even think that he is gay because of the way he holds his cigarette...

DelusionalAlchemist

cheezMcNASTY;279167 said:
i quite like dantes new look personally. it definitely gives off more of an 'attitude' vibe. not to mention it makes him look more borderline insane, which i've always thought was a great character trait. to put it bluntly, he looks like a ****ing rock star. all in all (is all we are), if they can take such a strongly toned character design, and match it in in-game story and character developement it could be an extremely outstanding title.

you hardcore dmc fans may hate it, but this game has potential to bring a new crowd of gamers to devil may cry.

if you like him, then what are you doing on this thread?
This is supposed to be a thread where we can let out our anger.
not get told to shut up.

to address your point though, they didn't need to ruin a perfectly good franchise to make a game sell.
They could have made a new franchise that has nothing to do with dmc and I (and many other people) probably would have bought it.
I think my problem is that Dante is a really well known character that they totally reconfigured to look like every other game. I don't see anything unique about the new Dante.

I'm kinda drawn to the 'borderline insane' thing too, but not at the expense of a perfectly good character.

this game has potential to bring a new crowd of gamers to devil may cry.

... so what your saying is that you support dumping the millions of fans who supported the last 4 games in favor of the 'new crowd'?

that's funny considering they've already sold to the U.S.
They sold big.

I'm not saying it's going to flop, because I can't read the future or anything, but 'hardcore dmc fans' encoumpass a large part of the united states and have bought games with the new dante's new character so to speak....
But that's not what we bought dmc for.

the truth is, you've seen one you've seen them all, and I'm not saying that the new dante doesn't have his place in the world- because he does. Just not in Devil may cry.

i read somewhere that some DMC fans even think that he is gay because of the way he holds his cigarette...

Orlly?
Guess we won't know until the game comes out. :3

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
DelusionalAlchemist;279212 said:
if you like him, then what are you doing on this thread?
This is supposed to be a thread where we can let out our anger.
not get told to shut up.
no need to get defensive. even if the thread is for people to talk about how much they hate it, the forum is for open discussion. it's quite silly to make a thread just so people who agree with eachother can post. you, and most everyone who posted before me don't like the new dante, and i can respect that. i'm just pointing out why i like his new character. it gives the thread a more 3 dimensional view of the topic, don't you think? :)

to address your point though, they didn't need to ruin a perfectly good franchise to make a game sell.
They could have made a new franchise that has nothing to do with dmc and I (and many other people) probably would have bought it.
I think my problem is that Dante is a really well known character that they totally reconfigured to look like every other game. I don't see anything unique about the new Dante.
fair enough. if you think the series is ruined by a redesign of the main character that's fine. but you're saying that you would choose to go on a strike from playing one of your favorite game series because they re-imagined the main character? made him a smoker? gave him scene hair?
if anything i'd equate this new look to that of a superhuman serial killer, and that's a hack 'n' slasher i'd be willing to play any day.

that's all well and good if you don't want to play it, but for the life of me i can't understand it.

I'm kinda drawn to the 'borderline insane' thing too, but not at the expense of a perfectly good character.
well, you seem convinced that it's a complete downgrade and i won't try to convince you otherwise. but personally i relish the possibilities of the new design.

... so what your saying is that you support dumping the millions of fans who supported the last 4 games in favor of the 'new crowd'?
i never said they would be dumped. i think that a majority of them will like the devil may cry. and i think that it's new look will bring the series more popularity.

the only worries there are that people who liked the original 4 games will start a flame war with fans of the reboot.

that's funny considering they've already sold to the U.S.
They sold big.

I'm not saying it's going to flop, because I can't read the future or anything, but 'hardcore dmc fans' encoumpass a large part of the united states and have bought games with the new dante's new character so to speak....
But that's not what we bought dmc for.

the truth is, you've seen one you've seen them all, and I'm not saying that the new dante doesn't have his place in the world- because he does. Just not in Devil may cry.
it's true that this 'new dante' is not by any means the classical one. the original dante was specifically designed to be a non smoker. the only real retained quality is the red jacket, which has been reportrayed as dirty and worn.

look, say what you like. all i ask is that you look at batman. he was always badass. tim burton made a fortune with his batman movies. but then christopher nolan got a hold of them and made batman begins and the dark knight. both took a whole new, grimmer, look at the character. the majority of people would say that it improved with that new angle. that's what i see when i look at this new version.

Asmodaius

@ cheezMcNASTY:

Yes, this is an open forum, but when someone makes a topic about a certain something, it is common respect to follow that topic. The topic of this thread is for those who dislike the new DmC and have them rage over it all they want without offending anyone. However, it is offensive of you to then go against the very topic of the thread. There are lots of other threads to chat about alot of other things, and if you can't find a thread that's about what you wish to chat about, then you can make a new thread.

So please, respect the topic of this thread.
Thank you. ^^

DelusionalAlchemist

cheezMcNASTY;279235 said:
no need to get defensive. even if the thread is for people to talk about how much they hate it, the forum is for open discussion. it's quite silly to make a thread just so people who agree with eachother can post. you, and most everyone who posted before me don't like the new dante, and i can respect that. i'm just pointing out why i like his new character. it gives the thread a more 3 dimensional view of the topic, don't you think? :)

Did I sound defensive?
I'm sorry if that's how it sounded.
you have the freedom of speach and i'm not trying to take that away from you. It's just the point of looking at a thread thats ment for raging at something you like eludes me. :huh:

fair enough. if you think the series is ruined by a redesign of the main character that's fine. but you're saying that you would choose to go on a strike from playing one of your favorite game series because they re-imagined the main character? made him a smoker? gave him scene hair?
if anything i'd equate this new look to that of a superhuman serial killer, and that's a hack 'n' slasher i'd be willing to play any day.

What I really liked about dante was his personality and there was so much of it in the way he fought. From watching the trailer, it looks as though they completely changed it.

(this next part is kinda personal)
I've spent most of my life sick as a dog, and what's the point of anything if you can't even get yourself out of bed?
Playing as dante made me feel as though I had a little bit of controle over something in my life (not to mention his over confident remarks made me smile, which was a rarity).
having said this I feel totaly exposed now... :$

that's all well and good if you don't want to play it, but for the life of me i can't understand it.
I am kinda curious about the new game, but if it flops then there's a chance they'll go back to the other series, which is what I'm going for.

well, you seem convinced that it's a complete downgrade and i won't try to convince you otherwise. but personally i relish the possibilities of the new design.
I see a mentaly disturbed kid who uses smoking either as a crutch, or to look cool. Time will tell.
In this world of diminishing role models, it's sad to see one of my four dissappear.

I would like to know what you see though. ^_^

i never said they would be dumped. i think that a majority of them will like the devil may cry. and i think that it's new look will bring the series more popularity.

I can't say that I know what everyone feels, but from the majority of people that i've talked to, most feel the same way I do. which is dumped.
Devil may cry was one of a kind. If I wanted to play something with the same feel as the trailer, I'd play prototype.

the only worries there are that people who liked the original 4 games will start a flame war with fans of the reboot.

There's two sides to that coin, it takes two to fight and it's not going to be the original dmc fans every time.
Most people just want to fight and they don't really care what it's over, anyway.

it's true that this 'new dante' is not by any means the classical one. the original dante was specifically designed to be a non smoker. the only real retained quality is the red jacket, which has been reportrayed as dirty and worn.

look, say what you like. all i ask is that you look at batman. he was always badass. tim burton made a fortune with his batman movies. but then christopher nolan got a hold of them and made batman begins and the dark knight. both took a whole new, grimmer, look at the character. the majority of people would say that it improved with that new angle. that's what i see when i look at this new version.

Batman is 70 years old.
after 70 years people are gonna get bored.
it's like classic fairy tales, you get tired of the same thing over and over again so it's refreshing to stylize it and make it your own.
But dmc has so many questions unanswered and so much of the world unexplored. Once they've completed that, I don't think I'd mind a reboot so much. ;)

Osaka

trollololol
cheezMcNASTY;279167 said:
i quite like dantes new look personally. it definitely gives off more of an 'attitude' vibe.
"Attitude?" What, of a 12 year old with ADHD? Because I'm not seeing anything else at the moment.

not to mention it makes him look more borderline insane, which i've always thought was a great character trait. to put it bluntly, he looks like a ****ing rock star.
He doesn't look insane or like a rock star, just wasted.

Meg

Asmodaius;279248 said:
@ cheezMcNASTY:

Yes, this is an open forum, but when someone makes a topic about a certain something, it is common respect to follow that topic. The topic of this thread is for those who dislike the new DmC and have them rage over it all they want without offending anyone. However, it is offensive of you to then go against the very topic of the thread. There are lots of other threads to chat about alot of other things, and if you can't find a thread that's about what you wish to chat about, then you can make a new thread.

Thank you. ^^

Thank you for pointing that out. Rep+

Its true, that I made this thread simply for people to vent, so when they go to other parts of the forum to have a discussion they got everything off their chest and don't accidentally offend anyone it the more discussion oriented threads.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
DelusionalAlchemist;279265 said:
Did I sound defensive?
I'm sorry if that's how it sounded.
you have the freedom of speach and i'm not trying to take that away from you. It's just the point of looking at a thread thats ment for raging at something you like eludes me. :huh:
Asmodaius;279248 said:
@ cheezMcNASTY:

Thank you. ^^
Meg;279275 said:
Thank you for pointing that out. Rep+

Its true, that I made this thread simply for people to vent, so when they go to other parts of the forum to have a discussion they got everything off their chest and don't accidentally offend anyone it the more discussion oriented threads.
i am following the topic. the topic of opinions on the new design of dante. i'm not out to offend any of you, this is an open forum which means that discussions are open and people are free to express their opinions granted they are not stepping on such a right for anyone else. to be honest, making a thread and only allowing people who agree does not constitute much of a discussion. it also comes off as exclusive, which is against having an open forum by definition. i'm not impeding on your freedom of speech here, quite the opposite in fact. what has derailed the thread is you all making such a big deal of it.

and also, i don't think you should have to worry about offending anyone. i'm not so attached to a video game that i would get offended over people not liking how the main character looks.

What I really liked about dante was his personality and there was so much of it in the way he fought. From watching the trailer, it looks as though they completely changed it.
absolutely, for better or worse remains to be seen. on a similar note, whenever i play fable i shoot to have my hero more resemble the newer dante so that could speak for my personal preferences in a video game character.

(this next part is kinda personal)
I've spent most of my life sick as a dog, and what's the point of anything if you can't even get yourself out of bed?
Playing as dante made me feel as though I had a little bit of controle over something in my life (not to mention his over confident remarks made me smile, which was a rarity).
having said this I feel totaly exposed now... :$
i can almost relate to that. my little brother has an immune deficiency which renders him sick a lot of the time. the equivalent of your outlet for him is skateboarding, so i can understand how this change would affect you personally and i respect that.

I am kinda curious about the new game, but if it flops then there's a chance they'll go back to the other series, which is what I'm going for.
a very sound point. if this new game really is so terrible then they'll go back to the old style, it's a win-win situation if you ask me. :)

I see a mentaly disturbed kid who uses smoking either as a crutch, or to look cool. Time will tell. In this world of diminishing role models, it's sad to see one of my four dissappear.

I would like to know what you see though. ^_^
well, you and others here seem to see smoking as a poor part of character design - i see the opposite. cigarettes are, in essence, stress relievers. they are a shortcut to showing a character who has been through a lot and needed to use cigarettes to find equilibrium. to most posters in this thread, they view it as a cop out. a way of not being able to deal with lifes stresses. i see the opposite. i see someone who has been through so much that it's not the least bit surprising they came out with a bad habit. (we're talking about the art of character design, not real life)

common examples of such characters: Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop), John Marston (Red Dead Redemption), and Hank Moody (Californication).

all of whom carried a certain charm from their rough experiences. it can either make a character unbelievably shallow, or more complex. it depends on how it is used.

I can't say that I know what everyone feels, but from the majority of people that i've talked to, most feel the same way I do. which is dumped.
Devil may cry was one of a kind. If I wanted to play something with the same feel as the trailer, I'd play prototype.
fair enough. i would reserve judgement until you see gameplay, though. it's still being made by the same company, even if not in the same game engine.

There's two sides to that coin, it takes two to fight and it's not going to be the original dmc fans every time.
Most people just want to fight and they don't really care what it's over, anyway.
true enough. i think it'll be a source of conflict regardless of who starts it all.

Batman is 70 years old.
after 70 years people are gonna get bored.
it's like classic fairy tales, you get tired of the same thing over and over again so it's refreshing to stylize it and make it your own.
But dmc has so many questions unanswered and so much of the world unexplored. Once they've completed that, I don't think I'd mind a reboot so much. ;)
i only talked about the batman of film. over 70 years there have been plenty of reimaginings. the time frame i mentioned really spans over about 2 decades with movies. it takes a longer period of time to play a game than it does a movie - a possible explanation as to why the time frame was shortened in the case of Devil May Cry.

Osaka;279267 said:
"Attitude?" What, of a 12 year old with ADHD? Because I'm not seeing anything else at the moment.
He doesn't look insane or like a rock star, just wasted.
i both have ADHD in real life and smoke.
you're absolutely right, who could love that kind of a protagonist? :)

bobek388

Bobek388
Ok, I don't understand people that say: "it's just a game"
Everything is just everything, would they say, whatever it's just a lollipop if it would change into hamburger? And there would be no more normal lollipops?? :D

And I've got one question for people on this forum? Will you buy this game even through it's sh*t and it's developers are so bieberish idio*ic and childish to say things that someone on this forum already posted?

I personally won't but this game for sure, I won't reward those developers for making s*it and being ass**les

Dominus

cheezMcNASTY;279290 said:
to be honest, making a thread and only allowing people who agree does not constitute much of a discussion. it also comes off as exclusive, which is against having an open forum by definition. i'm not impeding on your freedom of speech here, quite the opposite in fact. what has derailed the thread is you all making such a big deal of it.

and also, i don't think you should have to worry about offending anyone. i'm not so attached to a video game that i would get offended over people not liking how the main character looks.

Needs to be echoed more so. Partitioning discussions into threads where only certain mind sights are allowed will create a divide in the forum. In fact I can already feel such a divide, though I really have no attachment to this forum.

But I don't agree so much with your assumption that smoking adds depth to a character. I think in the circumstances you mentioned it shows itself as a stress reliever to a harder life, but the difference I see in Dante is that he's half demon.. so it seems unlikely that smoking would help relieve his demon half's struggles (maybe he stops smoking when becomes more demon like?). I picture Dante taking out his stress on say other demons (which you kind of see in the trailer), as opposed to smoking..

And btw in your case I've read about some studies linking nicotine with alleviating some symptoms of ADHD, or maybe it was ADHD people (who are untreated) tend to more likely be smokers.

Meg

@cheez- A thread was made for people who like the new game to talk about why they like it. This thread is for the opposite. Since there was so much bickering about the game I made a thread for people who don't like it to vent. I wanted to keep it all in one spot, so there is less clashing. Please respect that and post in the many other threads dedicated to discussing the game.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Dominus;279300 said:
Needs to be echoed more so. Partitioning discussions into threads where only certain mind sights are allowed will create a divide in the forum. In fact I can already feel such a divide, though I really have no attachment to this forum.
my thoughts exactly. regardless of the good intentions behind it, the fact is people just need to grow up and realize that not everyone thinks the same way that they do.

Dominus;279300 said:
But I don't agree so much with your assumption that smoking adds depth to a character. I think in the circumstances you mentioned it shows itself as a stress reliever to a harder life, but the difference I see in Dante is that he's half demon.. so it seems unlikely that smoking would help relieve his demon half's struggles (maybe he stops smoking when becomes more demon like?). I picture Dante taking out his stress on say other demons (which you kind of see in the trailer), as opposed to smoking..
it wasn't an assumption so much as a perception. i was referring to smoking as an element of character design, not as a literal element in dante's life story. interesting thoughts, though.

Dominus;279300 said:
And btw in your case I've read about some studies linking nicotine with alleviating some symptoms of ADHD, or maybe it was ADHD people (who are untreated) tend to more likely be smokers.
i'd believe that. my friend who has ADHD also smokes, and now that i'm quitting i do feel much different. and it's not the good, healthy different that you hear so much about either. it is that, but it's also old habits and symptoms starting to be more prominent. i'd love to read one such study if you have a link handy.

Meg;279302 said:
@cheez- A thread was made for people who like the new game to talk about why they like it. This thread is for the opposite. Since there was so much bickering about the game I made a thread for people who don't like it to vent. I wanted to keep it all in one spot, so there is less clashing. Please respect that and post in the many other threads dedicated to discussing the game.

isolating peoples opinions, regardless of how good the intentions, is not a solution. people need to grow up and realize that the whole world doesn't think like they do. if everyone who thinks one way posts in this thread, and everyone who thinks the other posts in that thread, then nothing is ever resolved. in fact, the stupid bickering just spills over into other threads because the feeling that everyone agrees with you is exacerbated. i realize your good intentions behind this thread, but i disagree with the thread itsself. you can't just tell someone where they can and can't post - imagine what someone who just registered would think? they'd see everyone acting immature and unaccepting, and dividing their problems with each other into separate parts of the forum. it's a maddening state to be in, honestly.

on the topic of the other thread: do they discourage you from posting in their thread? because if so they should hear the same exact thing. if they are fascist and unaccepting that someone thinks differently then them and harass you over it then report it to the staff. let them get banned if they want to dress up like hitler.

DelusionalAlchemist

cheezMcNASTY;279305 said:
my thoughts exactly. regardless of the good intentions behind it, the fact is people just need to grow up and realize that not everyone thinks the same way that they do.
I totally understand where you're coming from, "One who doesn't believe in freedom of speech for his enemy doesn't believe in it for anybody."
At least that's how I think it goes...;)

it wasn't an assumption so much as a perception. i was referring to smoking as an element of character design, not as a literal element in dante's life story. interesting thoughts, though.

For me Spike was cool because of his 'let it be' attitude.
He smoked because it was a habit of the subculture of which he lived (for example: people who are raised in India are going to have a fondness for Indian food, that's just how it is). (kinda like the smoking and alcohol in black lagoon) He respected his opponents, meaning, he didn't shove cigarette butts into their skulls during a fight.
I can't speak for the other two, because I don't know them, they're from games right?

you can't just tell someone where they can and can't post - imagine what someone who just registered would think? they'd see everyone acting immature and unaccepting, and dividing their problems with each other into separate parts of the forum. it's a maddening state to be in, honestly.
On the contrary, I registered because I saw this thread. It looked like an opportunity to vent my emotions so I could talk to a person of a different mindset with civility- as well as to get some conformation that I wasn't the only person that felt this way. Considering in the whole state of Utah I only know one devil may cry fan irl.... and he sleeps on the floor above me... >_<

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
DelusionalAlchemist;279369 said:
For me Spike was cool because of his 'let it be' attitude.
He smoked because it was a habit of the subculture of which he lived (for example: people who are raised in India are going to have a fondness for Indian food, that's just how it is). (kinda like the smoking and alcohol in black lagoon) He respected his opponents, meaning, he didn't shove cigarette butts into their skulls during a fight.
I can't speak for the other two, because I don't know them, they're from games right?
John Marston is from Red Dead Redemption - a wild west game released just this year. Hank Moody is the main character of a Showtime (american premium network) series called Californication.

DelusionalAlchemist;279369 said:
On the contrary, I registered because I saw this thread. It looked like an opportunity to vent my emotions so I could talk to a person of a different mindset with civility- as well as to get some conformation that I wasn't the only person that felt this way. Considering in the whole state of Utah I only know one devil may cry fan irl.... and he sleeps on the floor above me... >_<

would you have felt more discouraged to post what you really thought in a thread for "opinions of the new dante" as opposed to "negative opinions of the new dante"?

DelusionalAlchemist

cheezMcNASTY;279398 said:
John Marston is from Red Dead Redemption - a wild west game released just this year. Hank Moody is the main character of a Showtime (american premium network) series called Californication.

That's right... I keep telling myself that I'll look into them, but it never happens. ugh.

would you have felt more discouraged to post what you really thought in a thread for "opinions of the new dante" as opposed to "negative opinions of the new dante"?

honestly, yes.
I've seen threads meant for both, and they're flaming from both sides. That's not a thread I want to be in.
When I'm upset about something 'your being childish its just a video game' is the last thing I want to hear (it doesn't help the fact that the at least half of each side can't come up with a decent argument of why they don't like it and resort to name calling. what either side doesn't account for, are chronicly sick people. There's a lot of us playing video games, and through a tv screen is how we experience life. This also depends on the sick person though. :p ))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom