• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Legit though, DMC4 sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
So I finally decided to actually stop being biased against DMC4 for once, and decided to give it a fair chance from all the sh*t I gave it. Dragonmaster, someone who despises DMC4, told me that just because he hates it, doesn't mean I should if I haven't actually played it first. So instead of being biased, I picked up recently and played it.

And honestly...I was dissapointed.

First of all, the fact that Nero is so under developed to play as was a downgrade from DMC3's great gameplay. Nero's gameplay was limiting and felt too reliable on the Devil Bringer. What made him even worse was his very character. Am I really suppose to believe that THIS guy is suppose to be our protagonist? Seeing him in cutscenes is one thing, but playing the actual game and seeing him act like an annoying little nob-in while playing made me drop it for a few days.

Eventually I got back into it and played on, simply skipping all the cutscenes since I've seen them all before. As I played, I noticed that I was doing more running around and exploring then actually fighting. Seriously? Why am I being forced to run around the place? Where's all the "stylish action" I was promised? Anyway, as I finally got to bosses, it was only fun in terms of using the DB to smack them around with these QTE-like attacks, but other then that, it would've been cooler if he had more weapons and more abilities and the bosses would stop backing away from me as if they were scared to fight me.

The enemies in this game are pretty pathetic as well. I assume they're better in DMD mode, but I really don't want to go through DMC4's annoying story just to see for myself.

And then I finally get to the part where Zero (Nero) is sucked into a vagina in the statue, and Dante is the shinning star...unfortunately no one told me how much of an annoying prick he is in DMC4, so I learned that the hard way, Every time Douchte here opened his mouth, I felt like I wanted to smack him across the mouth just to shut him up, which is sad because I'm suppose to think what comes out of his mouth is witty. I found it juvenile, more juvenile then Donte's lines. MORE jubenile then DONTE'S LINES! Now that's sad.

Dante's gameplay was a giant mess and held no real enjoyment for me. Why should I have to waste my time learning a whole bunch of styles and button layouts just to actually have fun. In DMC3, I had an individual style to practice from which made it fun, but in DMC4, its all a clusterfuck on my controller and just comes off as annoying. Plus ONLY three weapons for Dante? That's it? Seriously?

And then just when I think it couldn't get any worse, they make me go BACKWARDS the way Zero did! So now I have to listen to another asshat while going backwards, great...

So I finally get to the giant Mundus rip off, and am getting through it, only for me to have to play as this little brat, Nero AGAIN?! OH, and look, THE STUPID DICE GAME IS BACK WITH FIVE LEVELS. Yep, GOTY right here...

So I get to Sanctus and I swear I expected better. I'm shocked this was all DMC4 had to offer in terms of a bad guy; some old prick who wanted to be looked at as a hero by destroying sh*t in the process. I'd rather have the demon god banker as a main enemy then evil priest in disguise.

So all is done and Zero get's yamato, Douchete leaves, and his cardboard cutout girlfriend and him have a cheesy almost kiss before he fights demons again.

And that's it...what the f*ck?

DMC4 was a pretty disappointing game in more ways then one. I actually had hopes that this would be different, but...wow. I was even more dissapointed when I heard this game was for a FEMALE audience. Yeah, cause a female audience that you describe Koboyashi love bouncing boobs, damsels in distress to show that big strapping men will always save you, and throwing your unborn children at your enemies (Echidna) is A-OKAY!

All in all, DMC4 kinda sucked. Now I know why Dragonmaster hates it so much.

Caiden

Cool story. You can still argue that it has the best gameplay in the series. DMC 4 suffers from being half a game in terms of content but everything else is pretty much based on player opinion. Nothing is "legit". Also you complain about exploring. Go back and play DMC 1. It branches off from Resident Evil and requires you to explore the castle in order to move on. Exploration is a part of DMCs roots.

Caiden

I won't say I'm not surprised. I'm glad you're with me in seeing DMC4's glaring flaws. However, gameplay is not one of those flaws.

Again I think the only truly glaring flaw is it's lack of content. I mean look at the amount of costumes and extra content put into DMC3. Why could we see some of that in 4? Was it rushed out the door or did they just get lazy? I would love to see a DMC4 special addition that included extra costums (DMC1 and 2 Dante plz) and maybe an extra boss fight or two. But besides that and problem with the game is usually from the players opinion and has little to do with its actual performance as a game. DMC4 always confuses me. There is so much time put into visuals and gameplay but so little in the content.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It's always just been a piece of sh!t and totally disappointing. Once you realize Bloody Palace is like the only thing you ever do because revisiting the game's terrible and lazy game design is just too annoying to endure over and and over again then you know it's bad.

I can not fathom why DmC is considered worst than 4 to some of these people. That's just impossible and unreal and you have sh!t taste and also you possibly need your brain examined.

DMC 4 spits in the face of every Devil May Cry fan. Making such a lazy piece of crap after reinvigorating the franchise with the great DMC 3, there's no excuse.

I don't know about you guys but, I actually like the Devil May Cry series so praising 4 is not doing the franchise any favors because you're just acting like that garbage is ok.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yeah, good chance you're going to be disappointed if your mind is ready to be disappointed. This is why reviewers don't usually review games they're already negative about.

Exploring has always been a part of DMC. I find it odd that you call that a big flaw, while DmC has you pull platforms and jump all the time, which is just as bad, if not worse since it doesn't add anything. The backtracking was a bit worse in DMC4 than in DMC3, but let's face it, the latter wasn't a star either.

No offense, but I find I have to keep saying this: just because you didn't like Dante, that doesn't make him a bad character. I too thought his lines weren't great, but they're still thrice as good as DmC Dante's lines, which is astonishing. DMC4 is also acutely aware of how cheesy it is, and it jokes about that. If Dante sounds juvenile, it's probably because that was the point. I find 'now my coat's all charred' to be pretty funny because it shows how little Dante thinks of Berial - he's saying he only has the power to char his coat, and that his reaction speed is terrible. Nero's ''Wanna make it another 2000?'' is pretty nice because he's talking like a *huge 2000 year old demon that demands respect* is beneath him. There's nothing wrong with DMC4's humor; if the 'drama play' is the only thing you guys can truly lambaste, then that's pretty good.
Anyway, aside from that, I'm pretty sure DmC Dante didn't even make many jokes.

I agree on Nero's gameplay; after playing as him for two minutes, you've done every combo you can do. He needed to be more like Vergil, or a mix of Vergil and Dante. His Devil Bringer was a gimmick and wasn't explained in the plotline. Dante's gameplay could've been a bit better too, because I never actually used multiple styles during battle. Throws off your combos, too. Still, it's more intuitive than 'press B to launch enemies' and 'hold LT/RT to use different weapons'. Especially when you use demon pull and angel lift during combos, which is RT/LT plus x.
There's a reason why the gameplay is still considered better than DmC's by a large majority of gamers.

''I'd rather have the demon god banker as a main enemy then evil priest in disguise.''
This is an argument against the game's quality... how? My opinion on it is that they're both hackneyed, but the evil priest who merges with a giant statue is at least a less annoying cliché. Not sure the statue is even a cliché. But then, clichés don't determine a game's quality in the first place, so your point is void.

''OH, and look, THE STUPID DICE GAME IS BACK WITH FIVE LEVELS. Yep, GOTY right here...''
DMC3 had as many, if not more annoying, boring games.

''and Dante is the shinning star''
I must've missed the part where he saves the world, instead of, you know, Nero being the only one who could destroy the Savior. They worked together. Without Dante, no way to weaken the Savior for Nero to progress. Who knows, he might not've been able to beat Sanctus (the Savior) without him. Sanctus intended to absorb Dante, so maybe the Savior was built specifically for that purpose, and Nero threw it off. I mean, Nero does have some of Vergil's power. And like I've said before, Dante is not a douche for letting Nero get absorbed, because that was obviously his plan - ''If the exterior's solid, then you gotta take it out from the inside''. He shot the Yamato to him, etc.
Also, it's 'shining', not 'shinning'. To shine, not to shin. :tongue:

If there's one thing DMC4 does really well, it's cutscenes. But yeah, DMC4 might be the second worst DMC game, mainly due to the backtracking, Nero's gameplay, and the half-baked romance. DmC is not a DMC game, so I'll leave that one out.

Last edited:
What I liked about DMC4 was the gameplay...and the pretty textures and designs.Well,from my point of view.
But it's pretty poorly done in terms of characters and story development because it was rushed.
I can't even tell how beautiful it could have been if they would have worked harder on it instead of rushing it.It's truly a pity.
I still like it somehow,but I don't consider it being something impressive.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Wow I can't really understand the hate but that's OK people will have different opinions I personally loved the game the gameplay and Dante apart from the chaps his attire was pretty cool didn't like backtracking but loved bloody palace and dante's JC capabilities Nero was okay not a big fan he got boring after the first play through even with JC he wasn't that great but he was good and had some good combat posibilites i liked his combat but he bugged me as a character but all in all I loved the game it still ain't as good as dmc3 but I still own and play it 5 years on

Last edited:

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Wow I can't really understand the hate but that's OK people will have different opinions I personally loved the game the gameplay and Dante apart from the chaps his attire was pretty cool didn't like backtracking but loved bloody palace and dante's JC capabilities Nero was okay not a big fan he got boring after the first play through even with JC he isn't that great bit all in all I loved the game it still ain't as good as dmc3 but I still own and play it 5 years on

Couldnt agree more i mean it has its faults but its still a good game

To be fair, I did like playing it once and I wouldn't call it an unmitigated disaster the same way NG3 was.

this is soooooo true lol i hated playing ng3 and was so happy when razors edge came out

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Whatever do ye mean ng3 was awesome ha ha ha just like ninja blade best game ever

Lol yah ok ng3 sucked lol one weapon one ninpo, no alternate characters lol again so happy when razors edge came out and i havent treid ninja blade ive looked at it but i need to watch a gameplay video to see if id like it

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ninja blade is so crap but see for yourself dude personally ng2 is the best gaiden of em all if it didn't have frame rate issues it would be even better

berto

I Saw the Devil
Cool story. You can still argue that it has the best gameplay in the series.
That is dependant on player skill. I don't like 4 and part of the reason seems to be that my skill level never allows me to use the finer points of the combat system. I can't jump cancel, buffering isn't easy, and pulling off combo vid style game play seems beyond me so I take the game at face value and agree with most of what he said.

DMC 4 suffers from being half a game in terms of content but everything else is pretty much based on player opinion. Nothing is "legit".
I disagree, those are very legitimate criticisms on both game play and structure of the game. Been half a game is a flaw and not an excuse and Capcom shouldn't have dropped the budget like that, specially considering how much time and money went to Resident Evil 5 around that same time, but just because it's not the games fault doesn't make the game better, it still lacks in the end and you never excuse a game for what it could've been, you tax it.

Also you complain about exploring. Go back and play DMC 1. It branches off from Resident Evil and requires you to explore the castle in order to move on. Exploration is a part of DMCs roots.
Yeah, but so is the combat. Using 1 as the example, exploring is not a safe venture in DMC, you do so knowing that every time you revisit an area you will face danger, not so much here. I think that is why 4 makes it seem somewhat tedious and it's so acceptable with 1, because with the original game you have a sense of excitement.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Ninja blade is so crap but see for yourself dude personally ng2 is the best gaiden of em all if it didn't have frame rate issues it would be even better

See i enjoyed the sliding in ninja gaiden 3 razors edge and the steel on bone thing and the alternate costumes and the fact that i could charge a full special without having to sacrifice experience for me razors edge was the best ninja gaiden game razors edge had the best game mechanics but ninja gaiden 2 had the better story

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Yeah, good chance you're going to be disappointed if your mind is ready to be disappointed. This is why reviewers don't usually review games they're already negative about.

Exploring has always been a part of DMC. I find it odd that you call that a big flaw, while DmC has you pull platforms and jump all the time, which is just as bad, if not worse since it doesn't add anything. The backtracking was a bit worse in DMC4 than in DMC3, but let's face it, the latter wasn't a star either.

Did I say DmC was better? Why do you assume just because I talk bad of DMC4, that it makes me automatically a fan of DmC? And contrary to that belief, I was actually interested in seeing what DMC4 had to offer after seeing some actual good words about it. But once I actually played it, I felt like I was just playing a less then great DMC3 game.
No offense, but I find I have to keep saying this: just because you didn't like Dante, that doesn't make him a bad character. I too thought his lines weren't great, but they're still thrice as good as DmC Dante's lines, which is astonishing. DMC4 is also acutely aware of how cheesy it is, and it jokes about that. If Dante sounds juvenile, it's probably because that was the point. I find 'now my coat's all charred' to be pretty funny because it shows how little Dante thinks of Berial - he's saying he only has the power to char his coat, and that his reaction speed is terrible. Nero's ''Wanna make it another 2000?'' is pretty nice because he's talking like a *huge 2000 year old demon that demands respect* is beneath him. There's nothing wrong with DMC4's humor; if the 'drama play' is the only thing you guys can truly lambaste, then that's pretty good.
Anyway, aside from that, I'm pretty sure DmC Dante didn't even make many jokes.

you're being a real hypocrite. You say this
just because you didn't like Dante, that doesn't make him a bad character.
Yet go off to say how bad DmC Dante was. And like I said, these lines were worse then Donte's because at least with him I can get use to it, but with Douchte, it's just annoying.

I agree on Nero's gameplay; after playing as him for two minutes, you've done every combo you can do. He needed to be more like Vergil, or a mix of Vergil and Dante. His Devil Bringer was a gimmick and wasn't explained in the plotline. Dante's gameplay could've been a bit better too, because I never actually used multiple styles during battle. Throws off your combos, too. Still, it's more intuitive than 'press B to launch enemies' and 'hold LT/RT to use different weapons'. Especially when you use demon pull and angel lift during combos, which is RT/LT plus x.
There's a reason why the gameplay is still considered better than DmC's by a large majority of gamers.

Explained in the plot line? You mean that plot line that was no where in the game and had to be seen in the novels to get where it came from? Yeah, some plot line there. And once again you use "WELL AT LEAST IT'S NOT DmC" like it's some shield.

''OH, and look, THE STUPID DICE GAME IS BACK WITH FIVE LEVELS. Yep, GOTY right here...''
DMC3 had as many, if not more annoying, boring games.

But it didn't keep me there for hours upon hours with tedious task.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
[quote="Bazilican, post: 531545, member: 25690" ] but it didn't keep me there for hours upon hours with tedious task.[/quote] all you wouldve had to do is use the buster to get past that part in like 20 mins just saying

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
See i enjoyed the sliding in ninja gaiden 3 razors edge and the steel on bone thing and the alternate costumes and the fact that i could charge a full special without having to sacrifice experience for me razors edge was the best ninja gaiden game razors edge had the best game mechanics but ninja gaiden 2 had the better story
Ng2 had better weapons more combos more ninpo better shuriken canceling better ultimate attacks better more challenging enemies and bosses and it had costume dlc you end up with lie 20 costumes I all and it had trials dlc too the difficulty was harder and his move set was way bigger razors edge is good and has a better framerate but ng2 is king but its down to what you prefer dude so if you like ng3re then that's cool

Caiden

That is dependant on player skill. I don't like 4 and part of the reason seems to be that my skill level never allows me to use the finer points of the combat system. I can't jump cancel, buffering isn't easy, and pulling off combo vid style game play seems beyond me so I take the game at face value and agree with most of what he said.

That is why I said "argue". The experience varies for everyone. The gameplay WORKS. I have plenty of people talk about DMC4's gameplay like it is a total mess. Just because it is a style that doesn't work well with you doesn't make it a mess. It is all preference and player opinion.

I disagree, those are very legitimate criticisms on both game play and structure of the game. Been half a game is a flaw and not an excuse and Capcom shouldn't have dropped the budget like that, specially considering how much time and money went to Resident Evil 5 around that same time, but just because it's not the games fault doesn't make the game better, it still lacks in the end and you never excuse a game for what it could've been, you tax it.

I never said being half a game isn't a flaw. It is. But besides that most of the points people like to spew. "Nero is lame and he just yells Kyrie. He is a terrible character." That is pretty much all opinion. Yes DMC4 is unfinished and I hope it is finished in the future.

Yeah, but so is the combat. Using 1 as the example, exploring is not a safe venture in DMC, you do so knowing that every time you revisit an area you will face danger, not so much here. I think that is why 4 makes it seem somewhat tedious and it's so acceptable with 1, because with the original game you have a sense of excitement.

It is normal for enemies to respoun if you return to an area. Look at the castle and the forest. There is plenty of combat in DMC4. And if you REALLY feel like there wasn't enough then just spend some time in bloody palace and you can get all the combat you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom