• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lag

What do you call it?

• Lag

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Slow Down

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
I know that this is a random thread but, when your computer slows down, or takes a long time to do something what do you call it, Lag or "slow down"? this is a serious debate with one of my friends.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Neither really - I call it crappy computer and throw a tantrum usually.

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
If you dont know what you call it, what have you heard it being called the most, but dont let me persuade you just do it on your own opinion. even though anyone who uses a computer alot will call it lag

Steven

That-Damn-Good
Whoever said Lag is wrong. :D

Lag only refers to the Internet, and usually programs which use the Internet; MMORPG's for instance, such as WoW, they usually refer to the term. However, when it is on a computer, where programs won't open (not in relation to the Internet) it is usually derived as being called Overload. The whole terms are usually mis-understood, and not used correctly. However, you would more than likely be hearing Lag for the most; but this is wrong.

You can even see the definition of Lag on Wikipedia, lag is usually derived as being Networking. Here is the Link. I, however voted for Slowed down as it refers mostly to the general overhaul of both. I would like to have the option to vote for overload though.

So, just to make it clear; Lag is derived as being Network, and usually, in most cases will be relative to World of Warcraft; where a user is experiencing bad frame rate, or latency, they usually call it Lag. That is use of it in the correct term, BUT, it being with programs; example: I try to open Photoshop and it doesn't open for a while because of all other applications running, that is overload, not 'lag'!

Anybody who would like to prove me wrong; Go ahead!

Anyway, why is this a serious debate? :huh:

Angel said:
Neither really - I call it crappy computer and throw a tantrum usually.

Or the alternative. :lol:

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
Yeah, i guess you can call it something else but still the point remains, you haven't called it slowdown at any point :)

Steven

That-Damn-Good
Slowdown would refer to the whole overhaul of the system slowing down, such as not being able to fetch enough RAM (Random Access Memory) to manage open applications. I don't like the whole "Slow down" point of view as it just confuses even more. There are a lot of terms which could be used, however, I would prefer to stick by Overload.

But Lag is in no way correct. And slow down is like a Kids retrospective of saying Overload. Because the general term is kind of childish and doesn't use sophisticated words, its generally like a "get out" thing.

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
but lag is used(with internet) as a way or a slow system whereas slow down is childish, is what your saying?

Steven

That-Damn-Good
Right, simplistic Terms:

Lag - Associated with the Internet, usually spoken of when the Internet is running slowly. Can be used in MMORPG's, or for that matter - any program, application that uses the Internet.

Slow down - Basically refers to the system RAM, when not enough memory is available and things start to "slow down" on your computer. This is a childish (however, correct) way of saying Overload.

Geddit? :p

Steven

That-Damn-Good
Your friend wins; however, he was using a childish version of the Term. But yep, he wins, you lose... Argument over. :lol:

Oh and be sure you know what your talking about before you go into a Debate. The most important rule;

No. 1: Don't debate unless you know your right!

Steven

That-Damn-Good
Ok then, you should've been clearer and stated it in your first post. I could've easily said then, this is what you said :

Arkham said:
I know that this is a random thread but, when your computer slows down, or takes a long time to do something what do you call it, Lag or "slow down"? this is a serious debate with one of my friends.

So, I guess you win. Congratulations. :ninja:

dallywhitty

Tomb Raider Fan
So I guess professional game reviewers are now childish for using the term "slowdown."

And I wouldn't describe video games as internet-based.

Steven

That-Damn-Good
Ooh Bravo!

A reply to a topic that might as well die!

Anyway, no, Game reviewers can not be wrong when they say slow down, nor can anybody be wrong. I didn't say it was wrong, I just said it was merely a childish way of referring to the term overload, overbogged, etc. You usually turn to the terms of those when you are lost for words, hence why the "childish term" thing I added. Got that? And I'd like to make it clear that this is just my view and my opinion on things, I'm not one of those people who has to have the right way of doing/saying something. This is merely my opinion, so you don't have to have a go at me. ;)

And fair enough, nor would I! However, WoW is not a Video-Game, it is an MMORPG, same goes for Lord of the Rings On-line, where the only way to play them is online. So games which have Xbox Live intergrated are still known as Video-Games... You following?

Edit: Professional Game reviewers huh? I like the way you used "Professional" there, just to try to dumbfound me. You could've just used Game reviewers. Most people review games, y'know. Whether it be on a Blog, or just a rant on a website/forum. And in that sense, it could be used differently, as we are not talking about computers, which is the initial subject. So there are totally different terms there. But, if you want to continue this, please reply with your views. :D Looking forward to it.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I can review games! I'm well good - "this is a game. it comes inna box. i like it/it sucks. Ta." :D

Let's keep this friendly people ;)

Top Bottom