• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

lady comic readers. do you guys run into this problem a lot?

Maxman

If you contrast those adverts of perfect happy baby, no crying and mother looking beautiful, young and relaxed with what I have seen, then the adverts do seem like they are selling a lie. I really don't think they should have those kind of adverts on TV anyway consiering how one of my friends actually cited one of the adverts for why she felt so miserable.>_<

I know this is anecdotal, but the only information I have on what it's like to be parents comes from my friends who have them.
I have too many friends with children who keep telling me not to have them because it's too hard. One friend cried down the phone saying it was the biggest mistake she ever made.I really hope her child doesn't hear her say that.
I'm like the go to friend for venting about how terrible parenthood is. It mostly seems to be my female friends who are so overwhelmed and upset.

Then there's the friend with the 6 month old who suddenly left her husband and began to hate him for allegedly talking her into having a baby. She's been diagnosed with depression and hardly leaves the house. She's not wanting anyone to visit her right now. It's quite worrying.

It also doesn't help that one of my friends announced they are getting divorced. It's so sudden. The reason was he couldn't cope with their child anymore. I thought they were doing great, but obviously there were things going on that I wasn't aware of. I just hope they can stay friends for the sake of their son.

Maybe if I saw some happy parents it would make me think differently, but my friends with babies and toddlers are either depressed, suddenly getting divorced, or regretting what they have done.
All I can suggest is maybe my friends are just going through a very rough few months or something. I'm hoping for their sakes and their childrens that parenthood does turn out to be a wonderful experience for them. But I'm just not seeing that right now...:/ It's hard to think that parenthood is an enriching experience when people around you are telling you the opposite.

I guess all of your female friends who are mothers with babies & toddlers were not ready to become Parents right at the moment. My elder cousin sister who's married has a 6-year old daughter and is happily married with her husband :)
And I have got a cute lil' niece with whom I love to play with, and talk :D

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I guess all of your female friends who are mothers with babies & toddlers were not ready to become Parents right at the moment. My elder cousin sister who's married has a 6-year old daughter and is happily married with her husband :)
And I have got a cute lil' niece with whom I love to play with, and talk :D
See, those kind of stories do make it seem better, and, you're right, I don't think some of my friends were ready to be parents. It was what they thought they wanted at the time for whatever reason, but now they're just overwhelmed.
Like I said, one of my friends actually thought being a mother was going to be like one of those baby adverts.:blink:

I don't know if it's because of career stress, no sleep or what, but they're all going through a really rough patch with their children. It's just getting to me because it's not only the parents struggling; I'm sure the children can sense how their parents are feeling even if they don't know what's going on. I'm still so shocked about the divorce too. It seemed like they were the only frieneds with children who were doing fine. I'm more worried for their son than them right now though.

Ideally, people should have children when they are 100% ready and sure, but life isn't like that. People make the best with what they get.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
If you contrast those adverts of perfect happy baby, no crying and mother looking beautiful, young and relaxed with what I have seen, then the adverts do seem like they are selling a lie. I really don't think they should have those kind of adverts on TV anyway consiering how one of my friends actually cited one of the adverts for why she felt so miserable.>_<

I know this is anecdotal, but the only information I have on what it's like to be parents comes from my friends who have them.
I have too many friends with children who keep telling me not to have them because it's too hard. One friend cried down the phone saying it was the biggest mistake she ever made.I really hope her child doesn't hear her say that.
I'm like the go to friend for venting about how terrible parenthood is. It mostly seems to be my female friends who are so overwhelmed and upset.

Then there's the friend with the 6 month old who suddenly left her husband and began to hate him for allegedly talking her into having a baby. She's been diagnosed with depression and hardly leaves the house. She's not wanting anyone to visit her right now. It's quite worrying.

It also doesn't help that one of my friends announced they are getting divorced. It's so sudden. The reason was he couldn't cope with their child anymore. I thought they were doing great, but obviously there were things going on that I wasn't aware of. I just hope they can stay friends for the sake of their son.

Maybe if I saw some happy parents it would make me think differently, but my friends with babies and toddlers are either depressed, suddenly getting divorced, or regretting what they have done.
All I can suggest is maybe my friends are just going through a very rough few months or something. I'm hoping for their sakes and their childrens that parenthood does turn out to be a wonderful experience for them. But I'm just not seeing that right now...:/ It's hard to think that parenthood is an enriching experience when people around you are telling you the opposite.
No doubt, parenting is one of the hardest things you will ever do. Anyone who says different has either a full time nanny or has not had their own kids yet. There is no way I would ever dismiss anyone who says they wish they hadn't done it because I have been in that position myself. But just because something is hard now does not make it a permanent thing, in my view.

My sister is someone who felt pressured into having a child and resented her husband and her daughter for it...3 years later and she is starting to come around and see that it is not all doom and gloom. Nothing can ever prepare you for being a parent because every single child is different and there is no golden rule or special way of doing things that guarantees you an easy time of it. Believe me, parents would buy that if it was bottled! If someone had told me that I would give birth to a child who would be diagnosed disabled and be unable to interact with me like other kids can...I most likely would have said there is no way I can do it. I don't have family nearby and I certainly have no outside help - and yes, it is incredibly hard some days and I won't lie, I have spent some nights just crying my eyes out but ultimately, I have a responsibility to my son and I love him and would not chuck him on the junk heap because it gets tough. It is tough every single day and you can either buckle under the pressure or decide to not let it crush you.

Having said that, it takes time to get to that stage regardless of your parenting situation. Whether you have lots of family, no family, partner, on your own - there is no time frame for dealing with the hardships of raising kids. Everyone manages it differently and everyone relapses at some point and thinks they should never have bothered. Steve and I have a favourite time of day: when all three kids have gone to bed and we are not having to do a THING for anyone for a while. As much as we love our kids, they drive us nuts and there are plenty of days when both of us have just had enough. So we take it one day at a time because to y and take it in larger chunks than that is madness!

Parenting is challenging but it is rewarding and your friends who a going through such tough times need to know that and be supported by others to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It isn't all sunshine and lollipops all the time; indeed, it is hard and expensive and draining and exhausting.and yes, it can cause marriages to break down and relationships to become strained, there is no denying that. But it isn't the punishment in life some people think it is and there is great joy to be had.

Having had both clinical and post natal depression, I am aware of how painful and hard it is and yes, the adverts used to wind me up too. But on the other hand, you can't really advertise a baby product with a haggard looking miserable parent and a screaming filthy kid - sadly the world of advertising doesn't work like that. Having a proper perspective of fiction and fact when it comes to marketing helps - I think we all know that just because you buy Pampers it doesn't mean your child is going to smile all the time and play nicely and sleep all night.

Mind you, if it turns out that Pampers have achieved the impossible, can someone please let me know ASAP? Ta :)

Maxman

See, those kind of stories do make it seem better, and, you're right, I don't think some of my friends were ready to be parents. It was what they thought they wanted at the time for whatever reason, but now they're just overwhelmed.
Like I said, one of my friends actually thought being a mother was going to be like one of those baby adverts.:blink:

I don't know if it's because of career stress, no sleep or what, but they're all going through a really rough patch with their children. It's just getting to me because it's not only the parents struggling; I'm sure the children can sense how their parents are feeling even if they don't know what's going on. I'm still so shocked about the divorce too. It seemed like they were the only frieneds with children who were doing fine. I'm more worried for their son than them right now though.

Ideally, people should have children when they are 100% ready and sure, but life isn't like that. People make the best with what they get.
Yeah, It's probably the reason why your friends were overwhelmed with such responsibilities
The story which I told you bout my cousin, the fact that they are happily with their daughter, is due to the fact that they didn't rush through, they took their time,thinking wisely, and when's the right time :)

****, Loopy, Am I sounding weird for a 17 year old ? :p

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Wow. People here are talking about pregnancy and post-natal plight, and I don't even have a girlfriend. :|
Forever Alone = Me.

Anyway, in my country, video games/comics are considered to be for children and those socially awkward male teens. Finding a gamer girl is rarest of the rare cases. If I speak for myself, whenever I come across a girl with these common "pre-pubescent" likings for a game/comic, I tend to get delighted. It's like seeing an extinct species. Of course, I don't go on belittling her for being a girl and liking games/comics, but it's simply fascinating to find one in real life.

We have this one stop shop (supermarket, if you will) for games and comics which is always filled with MALES. You'd hardly, hardly in the most extreme manner, see a girl browsing through the shelves.

It's not about stereotypical view of a girl, but about about finding someone in a real life that sometimes leads to this "sexist behavioural attack", in my opinion.

Parenthood isn't that terrible.
My mother told me it was very difficult for her to take care of me and also the family. But she also told me she was very happy she had me and that I grew up as a child she's proud of. I think these minor sacrifices parents do for their children while they're little is because they're their children,because they love them,because they were the same as them.

Sure,what we see on TV or those ads isn't always the true image of what parenthood means while their kids are babies.There are a lot of hard times especially for the mothers but I think they look over it and learn responsibility because it's a human life and more importantly because it's theirs,and eventually their kids will learn how to take care on their own.

I also hate when they only see the bright part of it because it's not only happiness and good times,but there are also bad parts like no sleeping at all,taking care,feeding etc. but as I said this is only temporary and it's after all something that has been done through time.

From what you said I can deduce that they either didn't think well before doing it,or either they can't be responsible or hard-working and take reality seriously.
I mean,why haven't they think better about the consequences and possible negative experiences? Now they regret? This event in life isn't something to take it as an easy task,it's hard,and it requires maturity and responsibility. Even if they regret,learn how to take it forward and live with it. Their actions had their consequences,and they should be well aware of that.
And also, it's no good to marry early and also have a child so soon,because there's a big chance of regretting or even divorce.
Think well,share opinions and ask others who know what it truly means,like their parents or someone else who has experience.
Again,each person takes this event in a different ay.There are either optimist persons or pessimist ones,but it's good to be optimist in my opinion,rather than pessimist.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Parenting is challenging but it is rewarding and your friends who a going through such tough times need to know that and be supported by others to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It isn't all sunshine and lollipops all the time; indeed, it is hard and expensive and draining and exhausting.and yes, it can cause marriages to break down and relationships to become strained, there is no denying that. But it isn't the punishment in life some people think it is and there is great joy to be had.
I'll just need to keep being there for my friends and do what I can for them while they are going through these tough times. And, when they do tell me how bad being a parent is, I'll tell them that it will get better, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

I did once tell one of my friends to talk to other mothers because they would have a better understanding and be able to reassure my friend that being a mother wasn't always going to be so tiring and stressful, but she told me that they would call her a bad mother if she told them what she told me:blink: Is that sort of thing common? It comes to something when mothers can't talk to other mothers for fear of being judged.

Yeah, It's probably the reason why your friends were overwhelmed with such responsibilities
The story which I told you bout my cousin, the fact that they are happily with their daughter, is due to the fact that they didn't rush through, they took their time,thinking wisely, and when's the right time :)

****, Loopy, Am I sounding weird for a 17 year old ? :p
Not at all weird. It's good to hear some happy stories about people with children. I'll pass this along and see if it helps any of my friends.
Seems like if one of my friends has a baby, then suddenly others do too. I think they rush into it with their husbands and then wonder what has happened when they have a baby who cries all night from colic. Maybe they went into parenting with this idealised image...I don't know, but I'm going to be there for them and help out in any way. I wouldn't mind doing baby sitting if it got them out of the house.^_^

Parenthood isn't that terrible.
My mother told me it was very difficult for her to take care of me and also the family. But she also told me she was very happy she had me and that I grew up as a child she's proud of. I think these minor sacrifices parents do for their children while they're little is because they're their children,because they love them,because they were the same as them.
I asked my mum the same thing because as a teenager, I was a little ****. So I asked her was it worth it putting up with me as a teenager, and she said yes because now I'm an adult, we really get along.

I also hate when they only see the bright part of it because it's not only happiness and good times,but there are also bad parts like no sleeping at all,taking care,feeding etc. but as I said this is only temporary and it's after all something that has been done through time.
Exactly. I think it's dishonest to say that every aspect of child rearing is wonderful. It gives parents to be the wrong image, and sets them up for high standards that they will not be able to live up to. This in turn creates feelings of upset and failure.
I wish people would give a more balanced image of beong a parent.
I also think it would have helped some of my friends if they had really talked honestly to people who were already parents.

From what you said I can deduce that they either didn't think well before doing it,or either they can't be responsible or hard-working and take reality seriously.
I mean,why haven't they think better about the consequences and possible negative experiences? Now they regret? This event in life isn't something to take it as an easy task,it's hard,and it requires maturity and responsibility. Even if they regret,learn how to take it forward and live with it. Their actions had their consequences,and they should be well aware of that.
And also, it's no good to marry early and also have a child so soon,because there's a big chance of regretting or even divorce.
Think well,share opinions and ask others who know what it truly means,like their parents or someone else who has experience.
Again,each person takes this event in a different ay.There are either optimist persons or pessimist ones,but it's good to be optimist in my opinion,rather than pessimist.
My friends are hard working. I think that's part of the problem. They have jobs which are demanding, and sadly they thought a child could just fit right in. They were just so hooked on the happy baby image, and the ideal parenting experience, that they did not give much thought to the less ideal things. Then again, if everyone thought of all the things that could go wrong when having a child, I don't think many people would have them.

At the time, they did think they were mature to have a baby. I don't think anyone is 100% ready anyway, and nothing can prepare for being a parent until you are one. It's not like my friends had accidental pregnancies. These were very wanted babies, planned with their husbands. I don't think they would ever leave their children (well, exept the one I mentioned). They love their children, but I think they need to smetimes let off steam with me and talk to me about the negative parenting experiences because they'd go mad otherwise. It's no good for them or the children to have such negative feelings inside .I don't think my friend would tell their child that they were regretted. I hope she was just venting her frustration last week. Baby had been up for a few nights crying all the time. I think that would drive anyone to say some things that they don't really mean...well, I hope she didn't mean it.

As for marriage. These friends are in their late 20, early 30s, so they're not too young for marriage and children. But I think regardless of the age, being a parent is something that can't be prepared for 100% until becoming one. But maybe they should have talked to older parents first indstead of fixating on the perfect baby image.

Wow. People here are talking about pregnancy and post-natal plight, and I don't even have a girlfriend. :|
Forever Alone = Me.

Anyway, in my country, video games/comics are considered to be for children and those socially awkward male teens. Finding a gamer girl is rarest of the rare cases. If I speak for myself, whenever I come across a girl with these common "pre-pubescent" likings for a game/comic, I tend to get delighted. It's like seeing an extinct species. Of course, I don't go on belittling her for being a girl and liking games/comics, but it's simply fascinating to find one in real life.

We have this one stop shop (supermarket, if you will) for games and comics which is always filled with MALES. You'd hardly, hardly in the most extreme manner, see a girl browsing through the shelves.

It's not about stereotypical view of a girl, but about about finding someone in a real life that sometimes leads to this "sexist behavioural attack", in my opinion.
It's a shame that comic and game fans have the image of being for teenagers or children. Where I live, there are equally male and female fans from all different ages, but there is still the image of only creepy men like comics. It's a shame.

And in the comic shops I go to there are mothers with their teenage daughters. Last week, I heard one teenager trying to explain what Aventure Time was to her mum and saying how it was popular with people of all ages. Mum just looked like her daughter was crazy, but then started syaing how cute Princess Bubblegum looked. :lol:
So, I think that slowly comics are being more accepted by people of all ages and genders.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
You're not "debating". You're not "joking around". You're flaming. It's that simple.

did the definition of that term change when i wasn't looking?: 1. i attempted to determine if a post that appeared as if it could be an attempt at satire was serious. i might not have been polite about it but that is not flaming. 2. i admitted to liking bad vampire romance, is that flaming now?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I did once tell one of my friends to talk to other mothers because they would have a better understanding and be able to reassure my friend that being a mother wasn't always going to be so tiring and stressful, but she told me that they would call her a bad mother if she told them what she told me:blink: Is that sort of thing common? It comes to something when mothers can't talk to other mothers for fear of being judged .
It's pretty common for mums who are struggling to think that they will be judged if they tell others parents that they are finding it tough but seriously, just spend three minutes on any parenting board and you will find a whole host of women on there saying how hard it is and how they don't know what to do any more and if they see one more dirty nappy they will probably kill themselves.

It was my fear when I first was diagnosed with post natal depression that social services would just take my child from me because of all the tv horror stories of them swooping in and snatching your baby in the middle of the night and putting you in prison for having a bad day. It's simply not true but that coupled with the social stigma of not being an uber parent puts many women off opening up and being honest about how they feel. The reality is, if you speak to the right people, you will get the help you need. Talking to family sometimes backfires because they are so involved and usually opinionated - but perhaps suggest to your friends that a forum like Babycentre or Netmums might be a great start because they can remain anonymous and also see that what they feel is utterly normal and does get better. Even the most planned of babies are a challenge because like I said before, you have no idea what you are going to have. You are raising an individual after all, not a carbon copy of some cute little cartoon baby. I have three completely different kids and they are so unique that if they didn't look similar, I might question if they were even related!

Yes, there are some judgmental people out there but mercifully they are vastly outweighed by the normal people who daydream about running away sometimes and firmly believe that takeaway is a perfectly suitable substitute for cooking 5 days out of the week. I am one of those people, after all ;)

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
It's a shame that comic and game fans have the image of being for teenagers or children. Where I live, there are equally male and female fans from all different ages, but there is still the image of only creepy men like comics. It's a shame.

And in the comic shops I go to there are mothers with their teenage daughters. Last week, I heard one teenager trying to explain what Aventure Time was to her mum and saying how it was popular with people of all ages. Mum just looked like her daughter was crazy, but then started syaing how cute Princess Bubblegum looked. :lol:
So, I think that slowly comics are being more accepted by people of all ages and genders.

Yeah.. it's shameful...and depressing, too. My parents and relatives never forget to remind me how I should grow the f.uck up, come out of my gaming-world and acknowledge the harsh realities of the real world - every single time they see me gaming.
The way things are here, I see that acceptance being slower than the evolution of ape into humans.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The reality is, if you speak to the right people, you will get the help you need. Talking to family sometimes backfires because they are so involved and usually opinionated - but perhaps suggest to your friends that a forum like Babycentre or Netmums might be a great start because they can remain anonymous and also see that what they feel is utterly normal and does get better. Even the most planned of babies are a challenge because like I said before, you have no idea what you are going to have. You are raising an individual after all, not a carbon copy of some cute little cartoon baby. I have three completely different kids and they are so unique that if they didn't look similar, I might question if they were even related!

Yes, there are some judgmental people out there but mercifully they are vastly outweighed by the normal people who daydream about running away sometimes and firmly believe that takeaway is a perfectly suitable substitute for cooking 5 days out of the week. I am one of those people, after all ;)
I'll pass that info on. Maybe it would help both of them to talk to fellow mothers on the internet who are going through the same thoughts and feelings. There's only so much I can say, but sometimes it's hard because I have no experience of children outside of babysitting and being a teaching assistant.
Maybe it will help one of them get out of the house, and the other to not cry and break down so much. It's not good for them and it's not good for their children.
They do need to know that there are people out there who understand and won't judge them. So hopefully those sites will give them some sense that they are not alone in feeling like this.

Yeah.. it's shameful...and depressing, too. My parents and relatives never forget to remind me how I should grow the f.uck up, come out of my gaming-world and acknowledge the harsh realities of the real world - every single time they see me gaming.
The way things are here, I see that acceptance being slower than the evolution of ape into humans.
My parents were cool with it. My dad encouraged it since I was 5. He likes that kind of thing too, so he got me into Tim Burton, Power Rangers, comics and Final Fantasy games.
My Mum just likes tagging along for the ride. Sometimes she doesn't know much about a particular game or comic, but she's interested to hear about it. When I went home for the holiday recently, I introduced her to Adventure Time and playing Tekken. She actually beat me.:lol:

As for you, if gaming makes you happy, then I don't see why there is a problem. People do lots of different things to relax or escape from the heavyness of the world. Some people swim or run, some listen to music, and some play agmes.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Just one thing:
Just about to log in when I saw an advertisement for a game called 'Wartune'... it says "Warning: For Men only?" I wonder why?
If that's not some sort of sexism in gaming, I don't know what is...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just one thing:
Just about to log in when I saw an advertisement for a game called 'Wartune'... it says "Warning: For Men only?" I wonder why?
If that's not some sort of sexism in gaming, I don't know what is...
It's like that suce advert that says for men only. But the advert was really patronising towards men. Basically said all men were good for was mowing a lawn, making a mess and barely making a bacon sandwich while looking like a slob. >_<

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Basically said all men were good for was mowing a lawn, making a mess and barely making a bacon sandwich while looking like a slob. >_<
Well, I don't know about mowing a lawn, but I can make a mess and barely make a bacon sandwich while looking like a slob just fine. :D

tumblr_m1boiqusnR1qgcra2o1_500.gif

I found that gif while searching for "grease face gif" -- not exactly what I'm looking for (it just showed results from Grease) but good enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talking to family sometimes backfires
Sometimes?? :|
tumblr_mqlj13tHgI1sp9fcho1_500.gif

My parents said I could never be in a musical... :'(

Top Bottom