• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kat Useless or Not

Kat, Useless Or Not?

• Total voters

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
I guess I expected too much out of her since...she was kinda treated as a lapdog all throughout. And then her personality was kinda on the meek side so she flew over my head as a whole. I like to get a feel for a character and to see their traits and Kat's...it wasn't demure, then it wasn't cool and collected to me, like she stayed with a constant level of emotion through out the entire game. I do give her props for holding out for the abuse she went through when she was captured, but even then I expected her to raise some Hell. I don't expect her to have the same fire or spunk that Lady, Trish, or Patty has, but I wanted more ranges of feelings from her. I assume that's where the whole "weak" thing comes from.

-Saved Dante's a bunch of times getting him out of Limbo and exposing the Hunter's weak spot
-Survived hours of torture, not giving up Vergil was a Nephilim, and was still able memorize a mental map of the tower that would allow Dante and Vergil to reach the top.
-Stopped Dante from killing Vergil, in term saving Vergil's life.

That kitty can't fight, but she's got ovaries of steeeeel.
You have me thoroughly convinced she's useful now.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I would have liked her to have had some Akira-style magically psychic blow-out or something, too. Although, the more I think about it the less I think it really fits her to do so. If it had been established earlier that she had some greater control over what she could do with her psychic powers, then yeah, but having her do anything more would be really out of the blue.

I suppose at least seeing more of the spells she has prepared in her "arsenal" would have been nice.

EvilX-81

Gameplay wise = Useless
Storywise = Useful

I'd say overall a good supporting character she's at least better than lady.

One of my gripes about DMC3's story was finding out how weak Lady was to the overall situation, despite how badass she initially came off and her revealed relevance to the plot. It was pretty clear rather fast that she couldn't do much else than kill grunts and stood 0 chance against anything tougher.

Kat on the otherhand I thought was successful in being a support character for the frontrunner Dante.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
One of my gripes about DMC3's story was finding out how weak Lady was to the overall situation, despite how badass she initially came off and her revealed relevance to the plot. It was pretty clear rather fast that she couldn't do much else than kill grunts and stood 0 chance against anything tougher.

Kat on the otherhand I thought was successful in being a support character for the frontrunner Dante.

Since when was Lady a supporting character for Dante......in DMC3? Last time I checked she was in DMC3 to kill Arkham and gave f*ckall about Dante and his family problems or even helped out or provided help to be considered a supporting character. The only close to supporting Dante was unwillingly stalling/stopping some demons so Dante can advance. (note: this remark is to ROCKMANX)

Of course despite how tough she was she was still human....a pretty special one but still human. Plus for a HUMAN she is tough as nails. She gets stabbed in the thigh...the F*CKING THIGH, walks its off to fight Arkham, was kicked off a 100 feet tower and is literally later shown climbing said tower and even fought Dante (though she lost pretty bad but I doubt the other demons could do much better). I think its stated somewhere (Project X Zone or some other source) due to her genetics she is the strongest human alive.

Plus in the anime it even states that she is able to rival Trish (a demon a pretty tough one too). Plus Lady was a starting Devil Hunter in DMC3 with merely one year of experience...with one year of devil hunting and training she is pretty damn good and considering she can only get better from there on out (until she gets really old).

Plus how would you know she can't take on tougher demons since she has never been shown losing or backing down when facing one especially in the anime she is shown taking down or at least taking on demons who are considered pretty dangerous.

I know its non-canon but its based on canon but in Project X Zone she is capable of fighting alone side Dante and they didn't exaggerate on her abilities.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So your saying Lady can defeat Cerberus, Agni and Rudra, and the such? Yeeah I don't think so. Maybe tougher demons like shields or summoners but boss demons? Yeah right.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'd always sorta assumed that she was okay against mooks and that was about it. As in, we didn't see her fight anything really strong because they weren't something she could handle.

While she's certainly got the perseverance and agility of a devil hunter, she's still got the constitution of a human. That leg wound she got actually pretty much gimped her for the rest of the game, until miraculously at the credits she was walking around like it was nothing. It's entirely possible that Lady could be a paper tiger :ermm:

I wouldn't take Project X Zone into consideration, since it's outside of DMC's overall scope, and I'd be skeptical of anything that came from the anime, just by virtue of it being a cliched lump of generic anime that did a lot to betray the established characters...

But...eh...either way Lady is a supporting character. She doesn't have to support Dante, but she supports the overall narrative, which is the definition of the "supporting character" title.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
So your saying Lady can defeat Cerberus, Agni and Rudra, and the such? Yeeah I don't think so. Maybe tougher demons like shields or summoners but boss demons? Yeah right.

Well if Dante never got to Cerberus first then Lady would've had to face him to get through.

I can see Lady beating Cerberus maybe not killing him but at the very least getting past him. Lady doesn't charge head in like Dante or Vergil...or Trish.....or Nero she uses her brain, tactics, her skills, lots of firearms, and gadgets to subdue and overpower her foes. I've seen plenty of movies and shows where the good guys or a character who is just a highly skilled human be able to defeat giant beasts/supernatural creatures who were out of their league in terms of raw destructive power.

Plus Cerberus out of all the powerful demons in Temen-ni-Gru Cerberus used a very simplistic, easy to read, and easy to counter and predict method of fighting and due to him being chained up has limited movement giving Lady a chance to use that to her advantage or find a counter measure to his handicap.

Plus Cerberus out of all the bosses or the Temen-ni-Gru Guardians is the weakest one...its a reason why you face him first.

When I think of powerful demons Lady has 0 chance of beating I think of Beowulf, Leviathan, Angelo Sanctus, Angelo Credo, Angelo Agnus, Berial, Griffon, Phantom, Nightmare, and Echinda. I didn't mention Mundus, Argosax, Sid, or Vergil since those are well obvious.

I can also see her beating Nevan since Dante took her down with a bullet and half of the demon bosses in DMC2...well most of them...in fact I can see her beating Arius because Arius suck.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
She sure seemed to charge in a whole lot throughout DMC3 to me :ermm: She seemed to have smashed headlong through a skylight on her motorcycle into a place she had no idea what to expect.

Lady was the epitome of the hot-headed character who let her emotions get the best of her, she wasn't very tactical, she was impulsive. If she actually had been a more strategic person, she actually wouldn't have been such a gigantic b!tch to Dante for most of the game, realizing that he was doing some good and wasn't "just another demon."

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'd always sorta assumed that she was okay against mooks and that was about it. As in, we didn't see her fight anything really strong because they weren't something she could handle.

While she's certainly got the perseverance and agility of a devil hunter, she's still got the constitution of a human. That leg wound she got actually pretty much gimped her for the rest of the game, until miraculously at the credits she was walking around like it was nothing. It's entirely possible that Lady could be a paper tiger :ermm:

I wouldn't take Project X Zone into consideration, since it's outside of DMC's overall scope, and I'd be skeptical of anything that came from the anime, just by virtue of it being a cliched lump of generic anime that did a lot to betray the established characters...

But...eh...either way Lady is a supporting character. She doesn't have to support Dante, but she supports the overall narrative, which is the definition of the "supporting character" title.

Well as for supporting I was referring to being able to help or assist the main character for I thought that was what he meant.

As a supporting character for the narrative wouldn't she be larger supporting character for she is far more involved in the story and plot and is overall more relevant to the point of being a key character crucial to the overall plot above just being a supporting character to the main character but is really a supporting character to the plot.

Regardless of how you feel of the anime its still part of the canon as it was stated so by the series current producer and was even written by the same writer who wrote DMC3 and DMC4.

As what do you mean betray the established characters? Only 3 characters from DMC was in the anime.

DragonMaster2010

I can also see her beating Nevan since Dante took her down with a bullet and half of the demon bosses in DMC2...well most of them...in fact I can see her beating Arius because Arius suck.

Not Nervan. Unless Lady knows how to survive Nervan when she does her lighting ground attack, then Lady's f*cked. Plus, there's another issue to think about; is Lady fast enough to get out of the way of most of Cerberus's attacks or other demon's attacks? Remember Dante and Nero are half demon and can jump at high lengths.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
*shrug* she's really pretty much a supporting character either way. The story doesn't revolve around her, it's still very much the story of the Sons of Sparda, but she plays a role in it, as does her father. The support the narrative built around the Sons of Sparda.

As for the anime, it was just stupid to give Dante so many cliched qualities that he's never exuded anywhere else, especially his apparent addiction to sundaes, it was just a...really childish and stupid addition. Like Dante couldn't just be the heavy rock guy that he was, he had to have some disarming quirk. The thing is I just...really didn't like the anime all that much, it was boring and dumb, and did nearly nothing to advance the franchise (or make me like any characters more :/).

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
She sure seemed to charge in a whole lot throughout DMC3 to me :ermm: She seemed to have smashed headlong through a skylight on her motorcycle into a place she had no idea what to expect.

Lady was the epitome of the hot-headed character who let her emotions get the best of her, she wasn't very tactical, she was impulsive. If she actually had been a more strategic person, she actually wouldn't have been such a gigantic b!tch to Dante for most of the game, realizing that he was doing some good and wasn't "just another demon."

I meant tactical in combat for she was the only boss in any DMC game to fight more tactically rather than attacking you straightforward such as hiding out of your vew of sight to throw bombs at you or even uses the bookshelves to her advantage and have her homing missiles that can bypass all the bookshelves to hit you or even runs away the moment you get closer but she mainly stays out of your point of vision and tries to overwhelm you.

Plus I wouldn't consider Lady hot-headed but more or less passionate. She hates demons with a passion, would rather cut her own leg off before siding with one no matter how generous they could be and she wants to kill her father with a passion preferring she gets everything done by herself.

Passionate seems wrong....determined sounds better as you determination can lead to hotheadedness but better perception of your goals and how to achieve them.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Not Nervan. Unless Lady knows how to survive Nervan when she does her lighting ground attack, then Lady's f*cked. Plus, there's another issue to think about; is Lady fast enough to get out of the way of most of Cerberus's attacks or other demon's attacks? Remember Dante and Nero are half demon and can jump at high lengths.

An overall hurdle in where Lady's limits lie is that for much of DMC3 she's following after Dante, who clears out most of the big roadblocks in Temen-ni-gru, be they puzzles or bosses >.<

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I meant tactical in combat for she was the only boss in any DMC game to fight more tactically rather than attacking you straightforward such as hiding out of your vew of sight to throw bombs at you or even uses the bookshelves to her advantage and have her homing missiles that can bypass all the bookshelves to hit you or even runs away the moment you get closer but she mainly stays out of your point of vision and tries to overwhelm you.

Ah yeah. That's different. Unfortunately, she had to fight like that because Dante was so much stronger than her.

Plus I wouldn't consider Lady hot-headed but more or less passionate. She hates demons with a passion, would rather cut her own leg off before siding with one no matter how generous they could be and she wants to kill her father with a passion preferring she gets everything done by herself.

Passionate seems wrong....determined sounds better as you determination can lead to hotheadedness but better perception of your goals and how to achieve them.

"Hot-headed" usually relies on a person's passion or emotions, and it's what rules or overrules their decision-making skills, especially when addressing a certain situation. Lady is extremely passionate, and if she cooled off for a moment she would have seen that Dante wasn't the bad guy she thought he was, just for being a demon. Even determination can blind a person to other things that might matter. Determination can help a person persevere, but it can also prevent them from seeing other perspectives or solutions - case in point, Lady would rather shoot someone in the head instead of accept their help, simply because they were a demon. She didn't even take into consideration that he had shown her no ill will.

Hell! She shot a goddamn missile at Dante the first time they were ever in the same room together. Man...Lady was kind of a C-word when you think about it...

However...Lady's determination aside, she's still extremely hot-headed and emotional when it comes to demons. With good reason, she's got fiery stubbornness that is usually reserved for people in century-old blood feuds >_<

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
*shrug* she's really pretty much a supporting character either way. The story doesn't revolve around her, it's still very much the story of the Sons of Sparda, but she plays a role in it, as does her father. The support the narrative built around the Sons of Sparda.

As for the anime, it was just stupid to give Dante so many cliched qualities that he's never exuded anywhere else, especially his apparent addiction to sundaes, it was just a...really childish and stupid addition. Like Dante couldn't just be the heavy rock guy that he was, he had to have some disarming quirk. The thing is I just...really didn't like the anime all that much, it was boring and dumb, and did nearly nothing to advance the franchise (or make me like any characters more :/).

The anime was a promotional product for DMC4 (it was released when DMC4 was being made and promoted). It was never meant to be taken seriously like the games.

Plus the DMC1 novel stated Dante likes strawberry sundae.

Even though the plot of DMC3 was about the Sparda's Sons Arkham was still the primary villain and Lady played a crucial role in not just his plan and even advancing the plot and her role even links her to Sparda and the history of DMC making her more of an important character that fits into the overall lore of DMC.

Nervan???

Lady can always use her grappling hook to grapple to safety but she needs to know or be better prepared for the attack first. The thing to look out for Nevan is that attack where she charges at you to drain your health. If that catches Lady....Lady is finished for she can't just DT out of it.

Cerberus is a bit slow and extremely predictable one can easily read his moves to see what type of attack he will do next. He is only a challenge to beat if you charge him head on....like I did....died like 5 times in that boss fight but using Trickster makes him feel easy.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The anime was a promotional product for DMC4 (it was released when DMC4 was being made and promoted). It was never meant to be taken seriously like the games.

Plus the DMC1 novel stated Dante likes strawberry sundae.

Ah yeah, you're right. I forgot the sundaes were in the novel. Damn it's been awhile since I've read that T_T I dunno, I guess they just played it up way too much in the anime, which made it feel like that whole stupid quirk it came off as to me. I suppose it's sorta like how "pizza!" has become this huge thing about Dante, when...well...he's never really been as Ninja Turtle about it as we always joke. He doesn't really seem to love pizza anymore than any other broke-ass guy living on their own.

The sundaes, though, they played it up like "Haw haw~ See? The big badass loves a kid's dessert, he's really just a lovable scamp." It just...rubbed me the wrong way.

Or maybe it was just the cherry on top of the overall sh!t-sundae I thought the anime was :p

Even though the plot of DMC3 was about the Sparda's Sons Arkham was still the primary villain and Lady played a crucial role in not just his plan and even advancing the plot and her role even links her to Sparda and the history of DMC making her more of an important character that fits into the overall lore of DMC.

Well yeah, but the thing is that Vergil was the primary antagonist. We played as Dante, and overall Vergil was the antagonist to him - the narrative was still about the struggle between the two brothers. Arkham was a supporting character, too, who gets his little moment to shine before...turning into a blob and getting shot in the face by Lady. You could totally remove Arkham and Lady from DMC3 and the overall story stays intact (it would actually go much quicker :p). But no, Arkham's knowledge allowed Vergil and him to raise Temen-ni-gru.

All in all, it doesn't necessarily matter how crucial someone ends up being to the overall lore, it's about who the narrative revolves around. In this case, the narrative is about Dante, Vergil, and their legacy. Others may fit into that in whichever way, but it's Dante and Vergil's story, and Lady and Arkham are the supporting cast.

Nervan???

Err mah gerrd Nervan!!

DragonMaster2010

Nervan???

Lady can always use her grappling hook to grapple to safety but she needs to know or be better prepared for the attack first. The thing to look out for Nevan is that attack where she charges at you to drain your health. If that catches Lady....Lady is finished for she can't just DT out of it.

Cerberus is a bit slow and extremely predictable one can easily read his moves to see what type of attack he will do next. He is only a challenge to beat if you charge him head on....like I did....died like 5 times in that boss fight but using Trickster makes him feel easy.

and in terms of defeating these enemies? How will that go? Normal weapons aren't going to do a thing against powerful demons.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Firearms would kill 'em...after a long period of time...which greatly increases the risk of death >.<

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Ah yeah. That's different. Unfortunately, she had to fight like that because Dante was so much stronger than her.

Well its evidence that Lady can evaluate the situation and fight according on what she know rather than charge in guns a blazing or deluded by her own "hotheadedness".

I mean if she fought like that with Dante says she doesn't fight other high leveled demons like that.

Saying Trish can't beat high leveled demons or demons above generic mook level because we haven't seen her fought any is saying that Trish is the same since she hasn't fought any either despite her being playable in DMC2 (and with her you can f*ck up Argosax/Despair Embodied far better than you can with Dante and Lucia)....granted she has the Sword of Sparda....but you must have Sparda's blood to be able to fully utilize it anyway.

I'm not saying she can fight demons as the ones Dante faces most of the times...well the important ones that is but I'm saying she isn't as WEAK as people claim she is or the fact that she can still overpower pretty strong demons granted she is at her weakest in DMC3 and is far more efficient and skilled in materials afterwards.

Top Bottom