• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kat Useless or Not

Kat, Useless Or Not?

• Total voters
Kat was in my opinion, a useless character to serve as what I like to call in the Devil May Cry Series, "Another Useless chick to have a quick crush on Dante for ten minutes" Much like Trish and Kat they NEVER talked about how they felt! On the subject as a supportive character she only does the bat cum graffiti. In the presence on Demons Dante goes into Limbo anyways. Like, Wtf?

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Kat;
- a very important member of The Order
- basically helps to find Dante
- is a guide to Dante

I wouldn't call her worthless, it's underwhelming. She is definitely above than that.

EllDawn

I'd say that, in the story, she wasn't exactly useless. She wasn't a love interest for Dante, either. She cared, but she didn't exactly trust him. Everything she did was probably for Vergil, and for humanity.

Her role wasn't really elaborated on, so that would give the idea she was useless. Plus, since people seem to think a character needs to be a fighter to be useful, that would give the same idea as well. And the idea that she's weak.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Kat actually did a lot for a human. She was able to get Dante in and out of Limbo, actually made items that could help Dante in fighting demons, was able to help Dante to be more human then he actually wasn't, and was able to lead Dante and Vergil through Mundus's tower.

Yeah, she was useful, and anyone who can't see that really needs to play the game again and pay attention.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Kat wasn't Dante's love interest. The relationship they shared was purely platonic.

And if you played the game, were you paying attention? Look at all the stuff she did as Dante's sidekick throughout the game. She risked her life so many times. She was definitely a part of the team.

Pretty much one of the only Devil May Cry girls that actually has a purpose other than being eye candy.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Usually if someone thinks a character is useless in any way, you can try to think about them not being there, and seeing how quickly the narrative will fall apart or have to completely change its scope in that character's absence.

Without Kat, Dante would have still been asleep when the Hunter demon attacked. If he managed to live through the initial attack, he'd beat the Hunter Demon, get out of Limbo, and then have no place to live, and Dante's life would pretty much continue as a slightly obscure and hedonistic fashion.

Vergil still could have gotten Dante to join up somehow, and I imagine Vergil would have to be the one making portals for Dante to travel through. Things would change pretty drastically without Kat's involvement.

Beyond that, Vergil would have had no way of knowing how to get to Poison in the Virility factory (Kat was the one who found it, remember), so an attack on the factory would have been different. When the Order got raided, Vergil would have been stuck in Limbo, and no one would have been able to copy files and set up the self-destruct sequence, so Vergil could have been killed there (possibly). Dante would probably end up being much more ruthless and without Kat to act as a moral compass, could have killed Lilith and the spawn outright, left Vergil to die at some point. Plus, without Kat, they would have had no way of knowing how to go through Silver Sacks towers, meaning the Nephilim could die on their way up, or never even attempt to storm the place.

Ultimately Dante could have killed Vergil in their final battle, or joined him in ruling over humanity. Or...he could have just never given a sh!t whatsoever, and never joined up with Vergil at all >.<

I don't think Kat is particularly useless in any way, other than fighting. However, there are plenty of different ways one can be useful in a battle, and it's not always about brute force or being on the front lines. Kat plays a pretty heavy role in the Order's war on the demons, but also as Dante's moral compass. Sure she's on the sidelines, but much of where Dante has gotten would never have been if not for Kat.

Kat's more akin to someone like Mei Ling is to Snake, rather than being the femme fatale. She's a support character, but she's given a lot of importance.

And remember, Kat was never written nor intended to be a romantic interest for Dante.

Oh, and it's desiccated squirrel semen, not bats :p

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Kat did more than Vergil and almost as much as Dante. she was the one who knew how to find the Succubus and the one who knew how to get to Mundus. Dante would have died in the first mission if it weren't for Kat ( remember the Hunter was invincible until Kat hit it in the face with that magical molotov cocktail) the Order had two Nephilim but only one Medium and they definitely needed one. not to mention Dante's character development was entirely due to Kat. humanity would have had to depend entirely on Vergil (and i don't think a well intentioned conqueror is what humanity really needed.) if Kat wasn't around. she can't fight but they didn't need another fighter they needed Kat.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I guess it depends on how you define usefullness.

In terms of combat she is useless outside of a mission support role but then again we dont really know what she can do as a witch/psychic but i dont really see her being a front line fighter.

Outside of combat she is useful in a advisor role and could help with Dante's interaction with other people and the day to day operations of running a demon hunting organization if Dante decides to start one up.

I think Kat's relationship with could go either way as i dont see it as purely platonic or romantic.

In terms of whether or not we needed to create a new character to full her role, we didnt because you could have used Beryl from the second light novel or patty's mom from the anime.

Then again you could argue the same for the other new characters so its anyone's guess.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
-Saved Dante's a bunch of times getting him out of Limbo and exposing the Hunter's weak spot
-Survived hours of torture, not giving up Vergil was a Nephilim, and was still able memorize a mental map of the tower that would allow Dante and Vergil to reach the top.
-Stopped Dante from killing Vergil, in term saving Vergil's life.

That kitty can't fight, but she's got ovaries of steeeeel.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Dubstep...?
Nu, it's the game over sound for Pacman:lol:

bbf97afae1c101fdd7ed022124c51704_normal.jpeg
. . . . . . . . :'( shhh, don't tell him I'm here, he's been stalking me for years.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't think Noisia is even considered dubstep :/

The whole genre of dubstep is dependent on a 3/4s beat, if I remember correctly. Without that specific beat, it is not dubstep.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I hate dubstep but Combichrist's music wasn't dubstep. It's classified as aggrotech which is a sub genre of electro-industrial.

Plus Nosia's ost in the game weren't even dubstep.

This is Nosia

This is dubstep

But back on topic of Kat though.

Top Bottom