• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just what the heck is so good about Metal Gear Rising?

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Is this another MGR vs DmC topic? You know it isn't impossible to like both.... though I do think MGR was much better. Just suited me better and I liked Raiden much more than the new Dante for sure. But you know TC you should just ignore the topics if they prove to be a bother. If you like DmC no amount of reception should be able to take that from you, right?

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
MGR video​
Notice what happens at 1:11. Wish they had time to include that :)

Wow... I forgot about that... DAMN IT ALL! Apparently, though this was probably a rumor, in DmC: Devil May Cry, if you used Angel Boost near a wall, he would mimic a wall run. Well, that didn't make it into the final version. DMC4 removed wall-running. DmC removed it in the final build. And then Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance removed it in the final build as well. Why is wall-running not in hack n' slash games? It's cool, therefore it should be in said games.

IncarnatedDemon

Wow... I forgot about that... DAMN IT ALL! Apparently, though this was probably a rumor, in DmC: Devil May Cry, if you used Angel Boost near a wall, he would mimic a wall run. Well, that didn't make it into the final version. DMC4 removed wall-running. DmC removed it in the final build. And then Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance removed it in the final build as well. Why is wall-running not in hack n' slash games? It's cool, therefore it should be in said games.
First of all MGR was rushed. Kojima stated PG had a tight schedule.
And with 3 years of development narrowed down to 2, EVEN MORE compromisses must be made.

So i am glad they didn't implement it because its better to do it properly. Look at the stealth of MGR, shallow and poorly implemented.

Anyway i believe the rumor your hearing about is from a bug where you can dash infinitely from wall to wall in Downfall dlc.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
First of all MGR was rushed. Kojima stated PG had a tight schedule.
And with 3 years of development narrowed down to 2, EVEN MORE compromisses must be made.

So i am glad they didn't implement it because its better to do it properly. Look at the stealth of MGR, shallow and poorly implemented.

Anyway i believe the rumor your hearing about is from a bug where you can dash infinitely from wall to wall in Downfall dlc.

DmC's wall-running was mentioned during PAX 2012. I think considering that in Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry 3, and other games, characters can wall-run hop to another wall and chain wall-runs, that maybe DmC was going to have that as a mechanic. Heck, we sort of have this with the Angel Boost blast-off thingies like in Sonic games with "triangle jump".

It would have been cool to fight while running on walls though...

IncarnatedDemon

DmC's wall-running was mentioned during PAX 2012. I think considering that in Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry 3, and other games, characters can wall-run hop to another wall and chain wall-runs, that maybe DmC was going to have that as a mechanic. Heck, we sort of have this with the Angel Boost blast-off thingies like in Sonic games with "triangle jump".

It would have been cool to fight while running on walls though...
Any source of when it was mentioned?

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Nothing, it's just that bandwagoning fanboys claimed it was going to be DMC spiritual succesor just because it was made by platinum games. Most of said fanboys don't know or care about the Metal Gear lore, they just cared about ZOMG PLATINUM! and ZOMG FAST COMBOS! and used that as basis for the "DmC killer" bandwagon

The game is released, and it's a pretty damn terrible Metal Gear game (story-wise) that tries too hard to make Raiden badass (just like every platinum game really) and in the end he just feels out of character...because you know...he is the Hero of Metal Gear Solid 2 and a really big character in Metal Gear Solid 4? and he has an established personality? but in here Platinum once again create one big-walking anime cliché.

The combos are pretty unintuitive and all of them must end in Zandatsu to be viable in-game. Fanboys claim that super fast cinematic semi-QTEs are SO DEEP and insist that it is in fact, the DMC game they deserve.

The game does not meet sales expectations outside Japan, and the community does not care to upload combo videos or start combo tourneys, much like DmC. But this time it's the markets fault, and the lack of interest in the genre. When it happened to DmC this reasons were nowhere to be found and "Alienated fans" and "30 fps crap" were the explanation for DmC's struggle.(GOW:Ascension was also a dissapointment compared to GOW2-3)

TL;DR: MGR is a GOOD action game but a pretty bad Metal Gear game, it is worshipped by some users because aparently its everything they want in a DMC game...except it's not.

Aslo L O fukeen L at those who think that after TW101 sales, Bayo2 will get decent budgets and dev time

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Any source of when it was mentioned?

Youtube... Of course there were legitimate comment from people who played the demo and then there are people who make up rumors for the sake of making rumors. It's like when people starting saying "Bobby did this to Alice", "Car Y has X amount of horsepower", "New console from Company P", etc. The fact that a glitch allowing Vergil to bounce off walls does, however, hint to wall-running being a possibility. The fact that the wall-running with Angel Boost was never recorded, probably due to legal reasons, does hint that wall-running was just a rumor. Metal Gear Rising having actual videos and Kojima showing a gif of Raiden wall-running definitely hints to wall-running being a (former) part of the game. Beta elements of games show up everywhere, The Legend of Zelda has history with this like in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Not much of a big deal though.

IncarnatedDemon

^ Eh when did Kojima or Konami say the sale of MGR was bad or blamed anything for the bad sale?
From what i read , and i can get sources if i must, the impression of MGR sale was "Positive".
I believe MGR solid 300,000 in japan within a week. It also was second best selling game in UK during its release periode.
According to sources Kojima has said that MGR has sold well worldwide.

And one last thing, i believe a Kojima developer worked on story of MGR with Kojima working as a supervisor.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Nothing, it's just that bandwagoning fanboys claimed it was going to be DMC spiritual succesor just because it was made by platinum games. Most of said fanboys don't know or care about the Metal Gear lore, they just cared about ZOMG PLATINUM! and ZOMG FAST COMBOS! and used that as basis for the "DmC killer" bandwagon

The game is released, and it's a pretty damn terrible Metal Gear game (story-wise) that tries too hard to make Raiden badass (just like every platinum game really) and in the end he just feels out of character...because you know...he is the Hero of Metal Gear Solid 2 and a really big character in Metal Gear Solid 4? and he has an established personality? but in here Platinum once again create one big-walking anime cliché.

The combos are pretty unintuitive and all of them must end in Zandatsu to be viable in-game. Fanboys claim that super fast cinematic semi-QTEs are SO DEEP and insist that it is in fact, the DMC game they deserve.

The game does not meet sales expectations outside Japan, and the community does not care to upload combo videos or start combo tourneys, much like DmC. But this time it's the markets fault, and the lack of interest in the genre. When it happened to DmC this reasons were nowhere to be found and "Alienated fans" and "30 fps crap" were the explanation for DmC's struggle.(GOW:Ascension was also a dissapointment compared to GOW2-3)

TL;DR: MGR is a GOOD action game but a pretty bad Metal Gear game, it is worshipped by some users because aparently its everything they want in a DMC game...except it's not.

Aslo L O fukeen L at those who think that after TW101 sales, Bayo2 will get decent budgets and dev time

Be careful. I know a few people will type a strong worded essay on your thesis, sir.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
^ Eh when did Kojima or Konami say the sale of MGR was bad or blamed anything for the bad sale?
From what i read , and i can get sources if i must, the impression of MGR sale was "Positive".
I believe MGR solid 300,000 in japan within a week. It also was second best selling game in UK during its release periode.

And one last thing, i believe a Kojima developer worked on story of MGR with Kojima working as a supervisor.
i think the main writer was the one who did some of the codec call in 4 and peace walker.
Etsu Tamari ( i probably fudged it up)

on topic- it has awesome bosses and music.

Armstrong blew mundus out the water.

Fran0823

Kojima was only an advisor and had no real saying in the plot, in an interview he said that if he had the chance to make the game, he would've used Grey Fox as the protagonist and would've had to write the entire plot himself to make Cyborg Ninja's adventure a decent one.

IncarnatedDemon

Kojima was only an advisor and had no real saying in the plot, in an interview he said that if he had the chance to make the game, he would've used Grey Fox as the protagonist and would've had to write the entire plot himself to make Cyborg Ninja's adventure a decent one.
Yes, but Kojima is not only one who made Solid games. He had a team, and he lead the team. Kojima about development of MGR:
We just said 'do what you like'. If they didn't think it was needed, we really didn't mind, even if they got rid of the ability to freely slice through enemies. Instead of that, we did carefully supervise things like the story, the cutscene direction, and the settings.
Kojima and his team played a major role with the story.

Fran0823

Yes, but Kojima is not only one who made Solid games. He had a team, and he lead the team. Kojima about development of MGR:
We just said 'do what you like'. If they didn't think it was needed, we really didn't mind, even if they got rid of the ability to freely slice through enemies. Instead of that, we did carefully supervise things like the story, the cutscene direction, and the settings.
Kojima and his team played a major role with the story.

Just like Itsuno carefully supervised DmC, amirite?

IncarnatedDemon

Just like Itsuno carefully supervised DmC, amirite?
Actually Dmc reboot was a collaboration in same sense as MGR was.

reboot dmc: capcom taught NT how to make Dmc gameplay, and later aided them as well. 10 members from capcom helped out.

While for MGR, KJP was primarily suprvising the story, characters and settings.

And careful is what careful means, you are present when decisions are made. Or aiding the developers with something that has been decided.

Yes, i honestly believe capcom had a significant role in dmc reboots success. Especially it's gameplay department. And i believe MGR's story being good at many times is possibly because of KJP.
That's not to say that PG are bad at story, they just tend not to be very serious. But when they do...they can make really nice scenes:

^ Watch from 7:00

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't know why you'd argue that MGR's combos are counterintuitive, because they really aren't. If you don't know how to do them, open the friggin menu, and voilà, there's the entire list of combos - much like in DMC4's divinity statue menu, as well as before starting a chapter. All of them must end in Zandatsu to be viable? That's just not true. Maybe you should use combos in a different order, at different times. Also, there's no shame in dodging or deflecting enemy attacks. If you get struck down constantly, you know you're doing something wrong.

I'm not sure you should consider MGR part of the Metal Gear series, actually. The only Metal Gear games still being made are the Metal Gear Solids. Since MGR is Metal Gear RISING, it's hard to consider it part of it all. Anyway, the plot is by no means terrible; I thought it was pretty interesting, really. I think it didn't even have plotholes.

It's not hard to see why people would think it's a kind of spiritual successor to DMC. It features a platinum-haired badass who even jokes occasionally, it's full of fast, fluid action and semi-combo-thingies, and it has an anime/manga-like vibe to it, which is NOT inherently a bad thing, whiners.

MGR is a good game. Most boss fights are usually a bit gimmicky, and the slow-mo gets boring really fast, but other than that, there's not really anything wrong with it. Platinum do corny games, alright? They do this on purpose. They basically created DMC1, too. Go figure.
A lot of people just want to whine about MGR because it's not to their liking, and they see the resemblance to DMC4. Fine. Go play wubwub games and leave this alone. Why can't it just be a good game? Opinions don't count as facts. Anyway, I'm done here.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
I don't know why you'd argue that MGR's combos are counterintuitive, because they really aren't. If you don't know how to do them, open the friggin menu, and voilà, there's the entire list of combos - much like in DMC4's divinity statue menu, as well as before starting a chapter. All of them must end in Zandatsu to be viable? That's just not true. Maybe you should use combos in a different order, at different times. Also, there's no shame in dodging or deflecting enemy attacks. If you get struck down constantly, you know you're doing something wrong.

I'm not sure you should consider MGR part of the Metal Gear series, actually. The only Metal Gear games still being made are the Metal Gear Solids. Since MGR is Metal Gear RISING, it's hard to consider it part of it all. Anyway, the plot is by no means terrible; I thought it was pretty interesting, really. I think it didn't even have plotholes.

It's not hard to see why people would think it's a kind of spiritual successor to DMC. It features a platinum-haired badass who even jokes occasionally, it's full of fast, fluid action and semi-combo-thingies, and it has an anime/manga-like vibe to it, which is NOT inherently a bad thing, whiners.

MGR is a good game. Most boss fights are usually a bit gimmicky, and the slow-mo gets boring really fast, but other than that, there's not really anything wrong with it. Platinum do corny games, alright? They do this on purpose. They basically created DMC1, too. Go figure.
A lot of people just want to whine about MGR because it's not to their liking, and they see the resemblance to DMC4. Fine. Go play wubwub games and leave this alone. Why can't it just be a good game? Opinions don't count as facts. Anyway, I'm done here.
This is spot on! Thank you!

Top Bottom