• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just my theory on how Dante was incognito at the start of DmC

SeanMoriarty

Known Sexual Deviant
I'm new to posting here so I don't know if someone has offered this before and I apologise in advance if they have but this is my theory as to how Dante was able to live in Limbo City without Mundus being able to find him for years as described in a thread created by Stylish Nero under the name major plothole #2. Anyway here is my theory, it is just a theory so if any flaws are seen I would appreciate anyone else's opinion.
Dante spent his years under the alias Anthony (Tony) Redgrave, when he arrived at the demon run orphanage they had no real way of knowing that wasn't his name (also I don't recall it being stated at any time in-game exactly when he went to the orphanage, he may have been in limbo for a time first) so he was registered under that name. As to being known for crime and violence as well as being infamous in Lilith's club, all of those actions were done as Tony Redgrave. Dante ceased to exist to everyone but Mundus and possibly Vergil. Mundus had no real way of knowing how Dante would look due to the space of time that had elapsed (explaining how the cameras did not pick him up) so he could not track him down, though Tony was probably brought to Limbo by lesser demons on quite a few occasions, Vergil could have known by his face (big disadvantage of being twins) but had no reason to try and track Tony Redgrave down. All this changed though on the night preceding mission 1 (the opening of the game)
In the opening of the game, Dante is clearly drunk, when he throws the bottle at the mirror in the bar it sparks the attention of a nearby Looker, who recognises him as Tony Redgrave. Dante then proceeds to pick up the two women, but in his drunken state gives them his real name (this part inspired by the cutscene where one of them refers to him as Dante, if Dante is as infamous as the above link claims then more people would have taken notice of his name being called than just Lilith) this allows the Looker to follow him home unnoticed while sending word back to Mundus (which is intercepted by Vergils hacking) who realises that it is the Dante he has been looking for, giving a Hunter the position of Dante thus leading to mission 1 of DmC the next morning.

Well that was my theory anyway, if anyone feels I've gotten things completely wrong feel free to say so but I like to think it works if only to explain why ebony and ivory say for Tony Redgrave, the above thread I talk about is by Stylish Nero under the name DmC's Story is terrible and here is why. It kinda inspired me to finally join and post this so if you didn't like it blame him for inspiring me :p something from that post though: Rebellion only appears while Dante is in Limbo, linked to the glowing insignia on his back, which also flashes whenever the sword changes to another weapon. After Mundus' defeat and the Hell Gate is closed, Limbo collides with human world and this sword appears in the Human world once again at the beginning of final battle between Dante and Vergil (source: Devil May Cry wikia) so he doesn't carry it in view of the cameras or anyone who could make the connection :p Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this, I love both DmC and DMC (except 2 but that's for a weird reason) so its good to be in a place to discuss that since I haven't met many people in Ireland who play the games :p I hope you enjoyed my theory :)

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
I don't remember Dante ever being incognito. Was he? I am not sure, haven't touched this game quite a while, but I am sure that Sparda knew of Dante's existence way before the events of DmC as evidenced by Lilith's reaction when he says "The son of the traitor Sparda, the nephilim". She's all like "Oh, him...". Also, I am sure the comics showcase Dante being cornered in a Limbo prison, meaning Mundus was informed way before of Dante's existence since the comic "Chronicles of Vergil" is a prequel.

Meier

Dante wasn't really all that incognito. He just wasn't much of a threat to Mundus (well as far as Mundus believes in his arrogance, plus Dante "didn't give a ****" and wasn't coming after him). If you recall the first scene of the game is Mundus solidifying his stranglehold on the world by accumulating so much wealth. That's when he says that there's basically only one last thing left so he steps up his game and he sends out the hunter demons for Dante. But its not like he left him alone either. Dante was pulled into limbo and tortured/beaten his whole life. He just always ended up escaping or beating them back.

Meier

Saw his thread and was interested in his perspective. We didn't work closely. My interaction was more between production guys like Greg Alex Simon and Rupert. Mostly though I was an in between guy connecting our main test team with Ahmad and Tyler in Canada with San-son in Japan feeding info around and managing the testing in general. I took time to give feedback to development, but I didn't have a direct line to them. Was very impressed by how quickly Vergils downfall came together.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Yeah, it was. In fact it was probably one of the more outstanding aspects out of DmC overall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom