• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just How Much Does DMC 3 Rip Off Inuyasha?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Been watching Inuyasha: The Final Act because I might as well see how this series all ends, and I noticed even more ways Devil May Cry 3 ripped that series off.

Apparently Sesshomaru's sword Tenseiga can cut through dimensions. Particularly a path to the Underworld. Kinda sounds familiar doesn't it?

Ok, so let's see the similarities now Between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru compared to Dante and Vergil.

• Both have siblings who carry demonic lineage
  • One sibling is rather brash and cocky, while the other is calm and collected
  • One has empathy for humans and strives to protect them, the other embraces his demonic side more and sees humans as weak
  • They have swords that were forged from their father
  • They inherited said swords from him based on their father's judgements
  • Hell, one sword is even a lot bigger than the other
  • The swords even have similar abilities. (See Tenseiga's dimensional cut above and Tetsuiga's Wind Scare/ Red form compared to Rebellion's known abilities)
  • One sports a red color scheme while the other sports a more cool blue-ish scheme. (Granted this could be just Japan's thing of separating heroes and villains in general with the whole "red is the heroes color" stuff)
  • They fight a lot over these differences.
  • One is even manipulated by another party in some way while thinking he's only working on his own agenda (See Naraku's relationship with Sesshomaru and Vergil/Arkham)

.........Itsuno needs to know the difference between taking inspiration from something, and just flat out copying it.

tumblr_mmninbijtH1sn6eiyo1_500.gif

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I don't know what else to say besides: I agree with all this.

Well, at least there wasn't a tsundere love interest in DMC3 who was central to the main pl -- ohhhhhhh.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't know what else to say besides: I agree with all this.

Well, at least there wasn't a tsundere love interest in DMC3 who was central to the main pl -- ohhhhhhh.
Eh, I think it's kinda reaching to compare Kagome to Lady, but I somewhat see where you're coming from. I still don't think they are really as alike as the rest of these comparisons though.

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
I've known about all of these similarities for quite a few years now, but I've never really been bothered by it.
To be completely honest, however, I sorta find the similarities interesting.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
but I somewhat see where you're coming from.
As long as you see the comparisons though.

I mean, two mortal women, somehow holding their own in a demonic backdrop -- treating the protagonist like crap, but then liking him afterwards (Trish implied Lady had feelings for Dante in DMC4SE).

One is a descendant of the priestess who helped seal Temen-ni-gru (with her bodily sacrifice), and the other is a reincarnation of a priest -- um, "holy figure" who used her own death to seal away a demonic pearl --

Ok, you know what? You can say I'm sort of reaching if you want, and that's fine with me. I'm just gonna go... over there. And watch this thread from the sidelines.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
A better thread name would be: "Just How Much Does DMC Rip off Anime At Large?"

Don't get me wrong, I have no such love to defend the likes of InuYasha, but this series has derived from more than just THAT franchise. Just take a gander at Dante's apparel, and tell me if it sports any similarities to a certain Humanoid Typhoon. Or if his origins are in any way identical to a certain Vampire Hunter. Or if DMC4's plot at all replicates the misadventures of one Substitute Soul Reaper.

All coincidences, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
All coincidences, I'm sure.
You forgot the other Alucard (SotN) and Blade.

It's basically the Avatar of action games.

----

Edit:

Soul Reaper.
Speaking of Soul-related games...

----

You can't tell me that DMC3 isn't at least somewhat reminiscent of SR (Vergil/Kain bringing down Dante with their Sword, only to have Dante/Raziel come back twice as powerful as before).

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
You forgot the other Alucard (SotN) and Blade.
To be fair, Alucard (or Adrian F. Tepes) borrows just as much from Vampire Hunter D as Dante does, if not more. The difference, is that the creators have cited it as a major inspiration many times...going as far as to sneak a reference to it in Curse of Darkness.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The difference, is that the creators have cited it as a major inspiration many times...going as far as to sneak a reference to it in Curse of Darkness.
Fair enough.

While the sword death/power resurrection is actually fairly unused (together, I mean), I still got a kick out of it in SR/DMC3.

Viper

Premium
Been watching Inuyasha: The Final Act because I might as well see how this series all ends, and I noticed even more ways Devil May Cry 3 ripped that series off.

Apparently Sesshomaru's sword Tenseiga can cut through dimensions. Particularly a path to the Underworld. Kinda sounds familiar doesn't it?

Ok, so let's see the similarities now Between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru compared to Dante and Vergil.

• Both have siblings who carry demonic lineage
  • One sibling is rather brash and cocky, while the other is calm and collected
  • One has empathy for humans and strives to protect them, the other embraces his demonic side more and sees humans as weak
  • They have swords that were forged from their father
  • They inherited said swords from him based on their father's judgements
  • Hell, one sword is even a lot bigger than the other
  • The swords even have similar abilities. (See Tenseiga's dimensional cut above and Tetsuiga's Wind Scare/ Red form compared to Rebellion's known abilities)
  • One sports a red color scheme while the other sports a more cool blue-ish scheme. (Granted this could be just Japan's thing of separating heroes and villains in general with the whole "red is the heroes color" stuff)
  • They fight a lot over these differences.
  • One is even manipulated by another party in some way while thinking he's only working on his own agenda (See Naraku's relationship with Sesshomaru and Vergil/Arkham)

.........Itsuno needs to know the difference between taking inspiration from something, and just flat out copying it.
Sesshoumaru was older brother from another mother and full fledged demon, Dante and Vergil are half-demon twins coming from one woman. Creatures/persons born from human woman and magical/monstrous creatures have been around since ancient times.
The difference in personality is I believe the blu oni, red oni trope that is certainly not exclusive to Inuyasha (and explains why one wears red, while other wears blue).
Again, Sesshoumaru is full demon, Vergil is not. Vergil needs to accept his human side and stop loathing himself, Sesshoumaru needed to learn humans, despite being a different specie and a pathetically weak one at that, are not so bad once you get to know them.
Father giving son a sword is not only seen in Inuyasha. It's pretty much like king Arthur's Excalibur, a symbolic passing on the torch.
Rebellion was forged specifically for Dante, so you can't really say he gave them swords according to his judgment, when one of the swords was from the very beginning meant for a certain person.
Tenseiga is not described as sword that can cut through dimensions, in fact it's a sword that can't kill a single human. It instead reveals creatures from the underworld and allows the wielder to slay them, thus resurrecting the dead. How many dead has Vergil resurrected?
You really think Sesshoumaru was the first and only antagonist to ever be manipulated by someone?

Go do more reading/watching before you accuse someone of copying. :p

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
How many dead has Vergil resurrected?
His child, but Yamato was not involved: when Nero was trespassed by that sword in Agnus laboratory, he was dead ( according to DMC4 novel that is). Only his father's persistence in waking Nero's demon side brought him to life.

Viper

Premium
His child, but Yamato was not involved: when Nero was trespassed by that sword in Agnus laboratory, he was dead ( according to DMC4 novel that is). Only his father's persistence in waking Nero's demon side brought him to life.
And thus Vergil finally utilized the mightiest of all powers - the power of THE HEART.
He can high-five Sailor Moon now. XD

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
And thus Vergil finally utilized the mightiest of all powers - the power of THE HEART.
Ironically it was his humanity/ his love ( which he hated so much) that saved his own seed.That pesky fatherly love!More powerful than any sword!:p

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Sesshoumaru was older brother from another mother and full fledged demon, Dante and Vergil are half-demon twins coming from one woman. Creatures/persons born from human woman and magical/monstrous creatures have been around since ancient times.
The difference in personality is I believe the blu oni, red oni trope that is certainly not exclusive to Inuyasha (and explains why one wears red, while other wears blue).
Again, Sesshoumaru is full demon, Vergil is not. Vergil needs to accept his human side and stop loathing himself, Sesshoumaru needed to learn humans, despite being a different specie and a pathetically weak one at that, are not so bad once you get to know them.
Father giving son a sword is not only seen in Inuyasha. It's pretty much like king Arthur's Excalibur, a symbolic passing on the torch.
Rebellion was forged specifically for Dante, so you can't really say he gave them swords according to his judgment, when one of the swords was from the very beginning meant for a certain person.
Tenseiga is not described as sword that can cut through dimensions, in fact it's a sword that can't kill a single human. It instead reveals creatures from the underworld and allows the wielder to slay them, thus resurrecting the dead. How many dead has Vergil resurrected?
You really think Sesshoumaru was the first and only antagonist to ever be manipulated by someone?

Go do more reading/watching before you accuse someone of copying. :p
Look, I could have gone in to the specifics too regarding these comparisons, but I'm just making an observation about the general concept and relationship between the two. Pointing out how much overall they are similar.

And it sounds to me that you are the one who didn't keep up with the series.

Tenseiga can cut through dimensions. Later on in the series Seshomaru is able to wield its more offensive capabilities basically because he becomes less of a d!ck. Turns out Tenseiga was originally a part of the Tetsuiga, but after the sibling's dad defeated this certain demon, he took his technique but couldn't control it. So he had the power separated from the blade. Thus, Tenseiga was made.

It was apparently always able to do this, but Seeshomaru wasn't able to really tap in to that right away. I guess you can say, its ability to carve a path to the underworld and send demons it slices there, arguably is the reason why Tenseiga is able to do the things it does when it comes to resurrecting the dead. There's a link there.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@WolfOD64
Would those even count as ripoffs since those could just be sources of inspirations.

Granted Nero/Kyrie is pretty close to Ichigo/orihime but that could be do to the voice actors. Or maybe the characters were changed because of the actors. It's like the chicken and egg scenario.

DMC3 ripping off Inuyasha like @Chancey289 stated feels more likely to be a ripoff. It's not 100% but the similarities are there.

Viper

Premium
Look, I could have gone in to the specifics too regarding these comparisons, but I'm just making an observation about the general concept and relationship between the two. Pointing out how much overall they are similar.

And it sounds to me that you are the one who didn't keep up with the series.

Tenseiga can cut through dimensions. Later on in the series Seshomaru is able to wield its more offensive capabilities basically because he becomes less of a d!ck. Turns out Tenseiga was originally a part of the Tetsuiga, but after the sibling's dad defeated this certain demon, he took his technique but couldn't control it. So he had the power separated from the blade. Thus, Tenseiga was made.

It was apparently always able to do this, but Seeshomaru wasn't able to really tap in to that right away. I guess you can say, its ability to carve a path to the underworld and send demons it slices there, arguably is the reason why Tenseiga is able to do the things it does when it comes to resurrecting the dead. There's a link there.
Again, this is nothing like Yamato. Yamato's techniques fall into messing with physics and molecules and I don't know what not, you can cut anyone and anything with it. Tenseiga harms demons and mythical creatures, sending darkness to its origin. Overall, Yamato is closer to Goemon's Zantetsuken, than Tenseiga in the way they are presented.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash at your post if you didn't have to be so smug and accuse authors of DMC3 of stealing ideas just because there are similarities. Something you can find in just about any anime or video game.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I told you that you'd end up upsetting people, Chance.

They just cannot deal with any dissenting opinions.

Viper

Premium
I told you that you'd end up upsetting people, Chance.

They just cannot deal with any dissenting opinions.
You do realize there is thing thing called private messages?
I have a different opinion and don't like when someone is accusing instead of just saying "hey, look at these similarities", cause then he might as well accuse the whole industry of ripping off each other and mythology as well.

What a terrible crime. :p

Sesha

Most of these are common tropes. The Dante/Vergil rivalry and part of their personalities are based on the famous rivalry between Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro. The former usually being characterized as brash and wild and the latter as arrogant, aloof and refined.

Examples of similar relationships:

Goku and Vegeta (Dragonball)
Naruto and Sasuke / Jiraiya and Orochimaru (Naruto)
Ichigo and Ulquiorra/Aizen (Bleach)
Recca and Kurei (Flame of Recca)
Chris and Wesker (Resident Evil)
Kyo Kusanagi and Iori Yagami (KoF)

The color schemes refer to the the red oni-blue oni dichotomy, as well as red being the hero's color. Both are commonly seen with along with the Musashi-Kojiro dynamic.

Also most of these similarities were already there by DMC1. Vergil wields Yamato and wears blue clothing in early concept art. Even the rivalry between the two and their personalities were already established, although not so much within the game itself.

Top Bottom