• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

In a future Devil May Cry game

DanteTheJester

That devil hunting douche who married a pizza.
You should make this thread a thread for "What you guys want in a future DMC game". Makes it easier to say what you want to say and gives it a track to follow.

What I wanna see is a return to some of the old weapons from games like DMC, DMC 2, and DMC 3. I don't like the fact that we don't get to use all dem badass weapons like Cerberus, Nevan, Beowulf, Alastor, Ifrit, etc. How come they aren't there? Does Dante just lose em? Or does he throw them away personally? Seems like he loved em when he got em. But what? It's like a kid with toys. They get bored...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
What I wanna see is a return to some of the old weapons from games like DMC, DMC 2, and DMC 3. I don't like the fact that we don't get to use all dem badass weapons like Cerberus, Nevan, Beowulf, Alastor, Ifrit, etc. How come they aren't there? Does Dante just lose em? Or does he throw them away personally? Seems like he loved em when he got em. But what? It's like a kid with toys. They get bored...

He sells them. The DMC4 novel at least says this.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well I couldn't find anywhere else to put it.
Wasn't there a thread where the point was to make up your own list of these? But then you'd get crap for reviving an old thread...

Screw it. This is now what we would like B to be in the style rank of future DMC games.

Bloody (Has that been done?) Knuckles
Barbarus
Bold
Beast
Boner
Brilliant
Bang
Boom
Bone Breaker/Broken Bones/Bones Break
Blazing

Now that I think of it I don't remember what the other games had for anything... Oh well.

Edit: Forgot some
Because F&ck You, That's Why
Bitch Slap
Better Than Most

Last edited:

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
the style meter is an obsolete mechanic. The original purpose was to provide immediate feedback and encourage players to get up close to danger and hack away at it with melee weapons, despite having safer ranged alternatives (remember, this game was supposed to be a direct resident evil sequel, you just don't run up and knife things in those games). Shooting things would earn you an insulting D ranking, while hacking up close would shoot it up to a C or B easily. Momentary lulls in combat (anything more than 1 second of not attacking something) and your rating would vanish, so not only did the system encourage players to go toe to toe with danger, but to move swiftly from enemy to enemy attacking without pause, keeping the combo alive and keeping action at a high intensity.

Players know the score now. We know that we're supposed to get up close and attack things hard and fast, all the meter does is redefine what we can already see for ourselves on the screen. Bayonetta made a step in the right direction when it got rid of the style meter and added a rank that could only be achieved through absolutely perfect play, but I don't think it's quite what we need either, just that it's closer to it

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Nah, I don't agree. The style meter is one of the essential features of Devil May Cry. It must stay.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Nah, I don't agree. The style meter is one of the essential features of Devil May Cry. It must stay.

In reality it isn't. It's really just there to say "hey good job". It didn't do much in the original series except give you better taunts. But in DmC it made your combat faster after S rank and made the music get louder. But even then it wasn't really anything necessary.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But why limiting a game to have only the necessary features, and not something more? In fact to me, a much better solution is to give some kind of new, more significant functions to the style meter, rather then completely eliminate it.

Kam

But why limiting a game to have only the necessary features, and not something more? In fact to me, a much better solution is to give some kind of new, more significant functions to the style meter, rather then completely eliminate it.
So... you actually do agree with me, then? Because that's exactly what bayonetta did. The scrolling letter ranks are gone, but the style meter isn't completely gone, and it does have a more more clearly defined, important purpose this time.

Bayonetta has two "more significant functions" that take the place of the old style meter. The first is the obvious one: combo multiplier. Combo multiplier builds the exact same way your style meter did, by keeping on the attack constantly, varying your attacks, and if the occasion called for it, taunting. Combo multiplier in bayonetta is much harder to build than letter ranks in any DMC game, requiring more and more extreme measures the higher your ranking got, as opposed to DMC and DmC, which merely required that you did different things, or hit more than one enemy.

As you get higher multiplier, it takes more and more combos before you're allowed to repeat a previously used attack without dropping your meter, and finishing a combo for full wicked weave damage becomes absolutely essential. Taunting an enemy so that it enrages is actually a good way to get a much needed boost to your "style meter" if you're falling behind, as hitting an enraged enemy is huge combo points, but even then you get the most out of it if your combo multiplier was already high. Letting your combo multiplier drop in the middle of combat could (and usually does) mean the difference in losing your pure platinum rating for the entire level.

The second is less obvious, but makes sense if you think about it: your magic meter. In bayonetta, magic builds much faster than DT for any DMC game, but the catch is that stale moves causes your magic to build very slowly, and taking a hit will drain almost an entire row of magic. If this sounds like your old style meter, that's not a coincidence, but here's where it differs from that old, useless thing. Magic can be used for incredibly powerful things: triple doppelgangers, witch time at will, a damage shield, summoned minions, the good old-fashioned torture attack, and bayonetta 2 even includes a mana spender that behaves a lot like a much more powerful devil trigger. Almost all of the things that consume mana also give a significant boost to your combo multiplier, as well as a huge combat advantage if used properly. But unlike classic devil trigger, the high rate at which you gain mana, and the amount of mana you lose for taking even a single hit, strongly encourages you to use the mana as soon as you have it, instead of hoarding it for "that one special occasion".

TL;DR combo multiplier and magic both form a feedback system that not only indicates how well your character is doing, but allow you to "spend your style ranks" to allow your character to do some truly awesome things. It's not just some vestigial indicator sits in the corner and can be ignored during combat, because it's actually important to your combat now.

Are you still disagreeing with me?

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well Kam, to reply I would have to play Bayonetta. Since I didn't play it, can't say anything I guess.

Kam

Well Kam, to reply I would have to play Bayonetta. Since I didn't play it, can't say anything I guess.
Or you could read either of those two posts; the things I've said don't require you to have played the game, in fact I went out of my way to explain the mechanics to you because it was clear since your first post that you had no idea what you were arguing over, and were just posting because you like to hear yourself talk.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Or you could read either of those two posts; the things I've said don't require you to have played the game, in fact I went out of my way to explain the mechanics to you because it was clear since your first post that you had no idea what you were arguing over, and were just posting because you like to hear yourself talk.

What? Hey hey, get off your high horse, buddy. I just didn't know Bayonetta had that system, and however, I always prefer to try things first hand rather than relying on explanations only, as much as accurate they might be. Also, avoid throwing judgments on people. Thanks.

Last edited:

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
In reality it isn't. It's really just there to say "hey good job". It didn't do much in the original series except give you better taunts. But in DmC it made your combat faster after S rank and made the music get louder. But even then it wasn't really anything necessary.
The style meter is there to encourage players to mix up combos and rewards you for it. It's what makes DMC different. I've tried to play so many other hack and slashes but without a style meter things get pretty booring

Top Bottom