• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

im curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobfun

got devil may cry 3:se 3 days ago (pc) and completed it on easy(yeah yeah i know ^_^)

my combo's look flashy(well to a noob anyways) on screen lots of coloured swirls and fire and ice shooting off randomly

wondering if you guys know of any tutorials video or written i can use to help string together somthing more impressive then my pitiful attempts (found one covering jc and desperatley trying to bounce off everything with beo wolf's killer bee so i can work on the more difficult weapons)

think of an epileptic spider in a disco and thats my hands doing 50% button mashing, 25% pure luck and 25% knowing what i want to do and praying to every god possible i get there some time before i get hit from behind again ^_^

(mainly sm so far but getting the hell beat out of me learning rg)

another question you guys that have been there done it all (d/vmd) are you starting new games with each new difficulty or starting with all your weapons and skills trained?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
There are many videos on youtube.com. Some people are really good over there. Dante is the ultimate evade and attack guy while Vergil creates unlimited destruction attacking with both meele and phandom swords simultaneously all the time:p

Easy has the "bad" thing - the Automatic. In which combos are done with no order at all and you can't perform the normal moves with the normal ways, only with random.:unsure:

Also about you getting better. Watch youtube AND the video tutorials inside the game to learn the moves. (If you're not using a gamepad you'll have it realy hard though). Once you master the moves, combining them and using them the right time will start to come alone in your hands.;)

And of course most of us want to create a perfect save file. In which you open it and everything is completed with S/SS and have unlocked any picture etc. So I think that opening a new file only to start the "must die" moves is done if you want something harder after you became really good and got bored.:p

noobfun

Tony_Redgrave;42402 said:
Easy has the "bad" thing - the Automatic. In which combos are done with no order at all and you can't perform the normal moves with the normal ways, only with random.:unsure:

yeah i avoid the bad thing, if im going to be retarded its by my own lack of skills XD

most of the videos i can find on youtube are people showing off thier combos not sure how much help they are gonna be till i can do all the fancy cancelling

that is where i found an ultimate tempest and jc canceling video though (thanks brolly2012)

and found http://www.ntsc-uk.com/feature.php?featuretype=tqn&fea=TechniqueDMC3Swordmaster which is pointing me in the right direction (found the rg video 6 funny so rg will be the next style to learn properly after sm)

yeah completed it with keyboard in 2 days and extreme hand cramps (my hands natural state became curled button pressing position) so grabbed me a game pad thats identical to the ps2 pads

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well showing off their skills can be a good thing. You can see some combos they combine with or without jc and use them yourself if you though they were helpful.

noobfun

Tony_Redgrave;42406 said:
Well showing off their skills can be a good thing. You can see some combos they combine with or without jc and use them yourself if you though they were helpful.

good point gonna have to find some video editting software and slow it down so i can see what the hells hapening lol

ive been spending a lot of time in secret mission 1, jump(full height) killer bee enemy rebound (full height) killer bee

im hitting probabily 8/10 rebounds when i can do it consistently ill start trying to shorten the jump height then change to different weapons

then do it using ariel raves on a lifted enemy (figure once i have the timing right ground or air wont make a differance)

i figure learning a skill and advancing it through is going to be easier, it does mean spending time running in and out of secret missions to learn rather then trying it while rampaging through missions though

Steven

That-Damn-Good
Switch Cancelling.

Nearly all the Guns have a time Lag between each shot. To my knowledge the only one that doesn't is Ebony and Ivory. Yes even the shotgun has a time Lag, even when they are up to max Level. So, this is how to avoid the time lag, you can cancel it one of two ways. The first would be by Jumping straight after you have fired the weapon, although this will not work as well, it is still effective. The bad thing about this is that if you are using a weapon such as Spiral or Kilina Ann, then they can't fire while being airbourne. But others such as the Shotgun or Artemis can, so you would be fine on those. I personally don't use this technique that much, I prefer to use the second choice as it offers more control, and you can fire faster, and after all that is what it is all about.

Now the second choice is to press L2 twice, in order to switch your Guns back to the one you were using. Now yes this takes the time lag off, but you have to be fast pressing to make up for the time lag. Otherwise you may as well wait for the Gun to reload. This is the one I prefer using as it offers more control, and you remain on the floor with it. And if you can press it fast enough you can build up a good style meter. Now there is another way to cancel the time lag, but this one is not as useful. The other way to do so, is to perform a Devil arm melee attack, this cancels it, but then you have the time lag of that attack. If you are going to use this way, I recommend using Cerberus as it is fast paced.

I always recommend having Ebony and Ivory in your Gun inventory, because if you are using the Switch Cancel by pressing L2 to get rid of the Lag, you can keep on firing this Gun for the Ultimate Projectile onslaught. This could result in a load of Stylish points added at the end of the level, just by knowing this simple cancellation of Guns. Great isn't it?

Guard Cancelling.

Guard cancelling basically put is just tapping the Guard button, to reduce the Lag, and this can speed up how quickly Dante goes on offense. Well why tap? Basically because it puts Dante back in his normal stance more quickly, although you have to be a Fast clicker or you have to time it right. In order to Get Dante to sucessfully block the attack and go straight back to offense.

So there you go, these are all the Cancels, I haven't wrote the Jump Cancel because it has already been explained.

Hope I helped further.

And there is no better way to explain Jump Cancelling other than Broly 2012's Jump Cancelling Tutorial.

Hope this helps.

noobfun

thanks tony and steven

all helps good help

did play with the guard cancel on the shotgun but the double switch sounds like it could be faster

the brolly2012 video is the one i saw, and got me practicing the jc,

did think i was doing really well at one point i was doing it against a hell wrath because it was there, then i realised its parry was throwing me in the air so the jump press was bieng ignored and the killer bee used as soon as i pushed it

on the ground im canceling the jump ok about 1/3-1/2 jump height (most of the time) but against enemies im still pretty much doing full jumps to time it right (on the occassions i tap /\ early im missing the rebound jump and end up stood there looking em right in the eye)

noobfun

sorry for the double posting, better then starting a new thread ;)

im having trouble with the gun switching, either im not understanding it or umm ok im not understanding it

with the shotgun

fire-> tap L2 fast -> fire ?

if i do that im cycling the guns before/as the reload animation starts but cant fire till its finished

have i got the idea wrong or just a bit slow with the L2? the guard canceling i can get working and cut out the reload animations and fire again fastish(till i can get submachine gun speed ill keep trying to improve lol)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well as Steven said there are two ways. You either fire then jump, then fire immediately after you reach the ground. Or having Ebony&Ivory, fire with the other gun, switch to E&I fire a bit with them, reswitch to the other gun, fire with it, etc.

noobfun

ahh that explains it, so its

shoot(shotgun)->switch to E&I->shoot->switch to shotgun -> shoot rinse repeat

not just double tap fas twice between shots

danke ^_^

yeah with jumping i get, its jump cancelling,
fire->jump->soon as you leave the ground fire youll then drop the very short distance to the ground and be able to fire again cutting both ground and ariel cartridge ejection animations

(almost sound like i know what im talking about)

noobfun

DemonSlayer6;42651 said:
All I can and will say is good luck mate!
Youll need it when it comes to very hard and Dante Must Die mode...

im using easy and normal to learn cancelling and stringing combo's

so when i do hit the higher difficulty levels i'll A) be able to kill the enemies in spectacular form B) not get pumeled to death so easily (hopefully)

Kodanshi

R·O·C·K·S·T·A·R
Yeah. DahBomb (great player) wrote that along with Pokey (absolutely AWESOME player). That FAQ alone helped me in my game immeasurably. It comes to around 120 pages, by the way! But you already found, noobfun, the ntsc–uk link I’d intended on pointing you to. As for RG, that video 6 = the most fantastic thing ever. I adore the sound of the golden Just Parry (called a ‘Counter Guard’ in the manual), and you can see him mess up the input on the 9th JP he does. He does it slightly out–of–time and ends up taking some scratch damage.

Best thing I can recommend: play about in an empty room and try out weapon combos. Find which frames in attacks you can cancel and then use those to switch to another weapon to complement each other. You can massively speed up slower weapons (like Nevan) by combining them with a faster one (like Cerberus or Rebellion). Have fun with it, and try not to button bash!

Thanks for your excellent contribution, Steven, and I keep E&I in my arsenal all the time anyway because I love GS mode (Twosome Time can look and work brilliantly when used right, and I’ve only ever seen Dantelink and tatsumarublack use it well), plus it gives you extra float time when fired mid–air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom