• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If DMC 4 wasn't rush...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If the game wasn't rushed then we would ALL be playing a DMC5 right now instead of DmC. I'm sure everyone would agree with me on that.

yeah there wouldn't be a need for the reboot because fans would have had not lost faith in capcom.

Problem with releasing a new edition of DMC4 is how are you gonna get the fans who were disappointed by DMC4 to come back. You could remake DMC4 with all the unused ideas in the artbook but would fans be so forgiving off Capcom cutting development time short and putting out a inferior product for a quick buck to come back?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Hey what makes you say DMC4 was rushed?

Last time I checked they announced they were working on it in 2005 (same year DMC3 SE came out) and the game came out in 2008(finished sometime in 2007). So they had at least 2 years to work on it (not 1).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy1uc_CVjh4

If anything the devs just wasted a lot of their time or got lazy.

You can examine in the TGS trailers to see how it was progressing and by 2006 they decided to go the Nero route (the current route).

Considering in this one trailer they literally had dialogue that was used at the end of the game meant they were either almost done or the voice actors just finished their part.

As for being an incomplete game this game had more than 2x development time DMC2 had and DMC2 managed to not have the issues DMC4 has (backtracking) but still suffered some of its own problems.

However, the main problem of the game's development can still be traced back to Kobayashi. Early trailers indicated that when starting DMC4 Nero wasn't on the dev team's mind.

What happened?

Kobayashi

Kobayashi was the one who wanted a new main protagonist (Nero) and wanted to make DMC4 more appealing to Japanese female audience (also males too) and thus introduced the sappy love drama and Kyrie.....oh yeah and Nero. Plus made it more animeish....like a bad bishonen.

Whatever original plans Itsuno and the other guys had were scrapped by their producer......Kobayashi.

The higher ups didn't do much to anything to negatively harm the development process other than gave them a fair time limit (you guys have now in 2005 up to mid to late 2007 to finish this game....a fair 2 years) and even gave them an extremely high budget too.....super high.

They could've extended the development time or delayed the game like DmC but it may have been a marketing thing plus it was apparently Capcom's first game developed on this current gen consoles so they didn't want to stall time (be honored Capcom chose DMC as the first game they decided to enter the new gen with).

As for the writing and story....the same guy who wrote DMC3 (Bingo) was the main writer but this time he didn't had Takayasu with him. However even DMC4 seemed lazy or sloppy for him considering he wrote DMC3 & the DMC3 manga both had pretty good, mature, and dark stories and plot and it seemed with him DMC was going somewhere....so what happened?

Kobayashi

Kobayashi felt a more anime style...no even the past DMC felt a bit animeish.....Kobayashi wanted to make DMC4 into a bishonen or bishojo to appeal to more Japanese female audience. Did it work? DMC4 is the highest selling DMC game in Japan with over 500,000 units..............it worked sadly....No I'm not upset Kobayashi's plan succeed more power to Capcom I'm upset that its another hint that the Japanese are a bit shallow or buys into stereotype (OMG NERO IS SOOO CUTE MUST BUY!!!! HE AND KYRIE ARE SO KAWAII!!! DANTE IS SOO FUNNY AND COOL HE IS LIKE A ONE PIECE CHARACTER....please put a bullet in my head)....Its not the first time I questioned the Japanese consumers decisions.

On a side note Kobayashi also was part of the DMC anime and that sucked too....okay it was decent at best.

As for why the story is so bad (or I would say plain or poorly well constructed)....despite being a run of the mill D-class Shonen it had potential to at least to be an interesting story and work out well.....but what happened?

Inconsistencies, no character development if there was it was shallow as all hell (Kyrie), fan service up the wazoo (Lady and Trish), lack of backstory/explanation (they only explained the Order's origins and how Sparda tied in like a paragraph, more info on Nero please, where are Kyrie's parents, why can Yamato open and seal the Hell Gate, who made the Hell Gate or how it got there, what demons did those Devil Arms originated from, and most of all how come Nero has a demonic arm while Dante and Vergil don't), useless moments (Gloria's/Trish's role...she might as well as not been in the game if that is all she does) Dante being retarded (fanservice probably), and forced plot devices that just makes the story looks laughably bad (Trish giving them the Sword of Sparda so she can gain intel but in the end doesn't gain any intel or do anything relevant outside helping the bad guys....sure Dante addresses this and Trish didn't give a damn and its probably due to her being a demon but she did care enough to save the civilians but it makes her look even more bad first she was skanky eye candy but because of that she evolved into stupid b*tch, DMC4 managed to discredit all of the females in DMC except Lucia). Plus anything they did explain it was so faint I had to use wikia to understand it like those Devil Arms you got after beating a boss were the same Devil Arms Lady was talking about. Heck in my first playthrough I didn't understand half of what the hell was going on.

I don't know what Bingo did but it obviously wasn't him since he wrote DMC4 Deadly Fortune (which is a more better and proper version of DMC4's story it explains everything about Nero, Kyrie, the Order, and much more on the game's story to the point I wished Capcom made a special edition or Expansion game (eg: Ultimate MvC3, Super Street Fighter IV, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record) using that game's story.

The game wasn't rushed it was poorly done and its not hard to believe considering Itsuno's team has f*cked up before.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
Devil May Cry 4 Nero Origins
The title should describe what I want to know. How Nero is related to Dante. If Nero is related to Dante. Does he have demonic powers based on Spardas blood? How did he get that arm? Yeah, I want to know a bit more background of DMC4. Where did he run from when he were going to listen to Kyrie? Those questions tells you that there are a lot of ''empty spaces'' I would like to know about..

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Kobayashi wanted to make DMC4 into a bishonen or bishojo to appeal to more Japanese female audience. Did it work? DMC4 is the highest selling DMC game in Japan with over 500,000 units..............it worked sadly....No I'm not upset Kobayashi's plan succeed more power to Capcom I'm upset that its another hint that the Japanese are a bit shallow or buys into stereotype (OMG NERO IS SOOO CUTE MUST BUY!!!! HE AND KYRIE ARE SO KAWAII!!! DANTE IS SOO FUNNY AND COOL HE IS LIKE A ONE PIECE CHARACTER....please put a bullet in my head)....Its not the first time I questioned the Japanese consumers decisions.

Inconsistencies, no character development if there was it was shallow as all hell (Kyrie)

Dante being retarded

and forced plot devices that just makes the story looks laughably bad (Trish giving them the Sword of Sparda so she can gain intel but in the end doesn't gain any intel or do anything relevant outside helping the bad guys

I'd say we don't know that. Last I checked, DMC4 was made for Europe and America too, or mainly for Europe and America, I should say. To make it appeal mainly to the Japanese would be a very odd marketing strategy.

The Kyrie and Nero stuff wasn't all that pervasive. Kyrie was used as a tool to stop Nero in his tracks, and he was just trying to rescue her. If this were some kind of romance, it would've been a lot more emotional and Kyrie would've been more interesting. Yeah, it's a ''he gets the girl in the end'' type of story, but it's not like the game centers around that. It centers around closing the hell gates and stopping Sanctus. Heck, might as well say FF XIII focuses completely on Snow and Serah. Bull.

What character development did Kyrie go through? I only saw her playing the same role the entire game, and having the same personality. No development whatsoever. Nero developed as a character, though.

Dante being retarded? You mean like DMC3 Dante? Honestly, if you somehow find this Dante to be worse than DMC3 Dante, you must have a warped recollection of past Dantes. I found him to be a more restrained version of his DMC3 self, which is good. If he acted like he was 19 at the age of thirty, I'd like him less.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Trish gave them Sparda so that they'd find out whether or not the Order had a malevolent plan. They drew out the beast, they didn't want 'intel'. How the heck do you get intel from giving them a demonic sword, anyway?

The rest of the post I can totally agree with.

Valcorn

The reason Trish gave them Sparda is cause Lady found out they collect Devil Arms, and as Lionheart said, to find out what they do with them.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'd say we don't know that. Last I checked, DMC4 was made for Europe and America too, or mainly for Europe and America, I should say. To make it appeal mainly to the Japanese would be a very odd marketing strategy.

The Kyrie and Nero stuff wasn't all that pervasive. Kyrie was used as a tool to stop Nero in his tracks, and he was just trying to rescue her. If this were some kind of romance, it would've been a lot more emotional and Kyrie would've been more interesting. Yeah, it's a ''he gets the girl in the end'' type of story, but it's not like the game centers around that. It centers around closing the hell gates and stopping Sanctus. Heck, might as well say FF XIII focuses completely on Snow and Serah. Bull.

What character development did Kyrie go through? I only saw her playing the same role the entire game, and having the same personality. No development whatsoever. Nero developed as a character, though.

Dante being retarded? You mean like DMC3 Dante? Honestly, if you somehow find this Dante to be worse than DMC3 Dante, you must have a warped recollection of past Dantes. I found him to be a more restrained version of his DMC3 self, which is good. If he acted like he was 19 at the age of thirty, I'd like him less.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Trish gave them Sparda so that they'd find out whether or not the Order had a malevolent plan. They drew out the beast, they didn't want 'intel'. How the heck do you get intel from giving them a demonic sword, anyway?

The rest of the post I can totally agree with.

The Trish and Sparda thing makes sense......only if it was clear.

Dante in DMC3 was fitting since he was still a teen. Dante in DMC4 was a grown adult in his early 30s or late 20s act like he was in DMC3 but more ridiculous...DMC3 Dante did cool stunts and made funny cracks as well as cheesy one liners...DMC4 Dante made cheeky sexual innuendos (using Lucifer in that cutscene)....innuendos....pfftt screw that he described rape, singing Beethoven with the enemy, when humans were being slaughtered by those demons he stood there applauding Sanctus rather than rushing to retrieve Yamato and seal the Hell Gate as quickly as possible, and he even charged into the Order and killed Sanctus without having any solid proof that they were up to no-good just Lady's assumption and she didn't even assume that they were up to evil just something big.....which makes Trish's plan to give them Sparda so they can reveal their plans all the while pointless if Dante was just going to charge in there guns a blazing. The true problem wasn't that he acted like a DMC3 version of himself....it was because he acted like a dmc3 version of himself after DMC and DMC anime and right before DMC2. HOW THE F*CK U go from goofy punk to honorable badass to moody chilled guy then back to goofy punk then dead silent dead serious cold dude. For example, Dante insulted Berial when he gave it his all and killed him like he didn't mattered. DMC1 Dante respected strong opponents who fought with everything that they had such as when Griffin who was slain by Mundus he felt angered for a DEMON and respected Griffin too and even respected Nelo Angelo (didn't know he was Vergil yet). But he was cool at the end of DMC4 when he trusted Nero to finish it and even gave him Yamato.....it actually showed the maturity he gained from DMC3 and displayed in DMC1.

As for the Kyrie and Nero romance thing....yes there is romance as cheap and poorly done...it was there and a key essential to the story and Nero's character. Nero and Kyrie gave each other crush faces in the beginning and other romantic hints, Agnus himself claimed Nero has strong feelings for Kyrie, Sanctus himself stated Nero loved Kyrie, Nero cried MULTIPLE times about Kyrie, Mission 20 was named "La Vita Nouva" which are a series of ROMANTIC poems written by Dante Aligheri, and the two almost kissed in the end and even said they'll finish when Nero kills all of the remaining demons in the area. There IS romance in DMC4's story.....cheap and poorly done romance....though it was a bit cute.

In an interview, Kobayashi himself stated he wanted to make DMC4 more appealing to the female audience.....I never said a Japanese audience I said Japanese female audience....thus Nero and Kyrie were made for that purpose.

Valcorn

Dante didn't shoot Sanctus on a whim... he first infiltrated the library when he found documents about their plans.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Dante didn't shoot Sanctus on a whim... he first infiltrated the library when he found documents about their plans.

Didn't he do that after he killed Sanctus and Nero was trailing him in the castle. The game never showed when Dante went to library just that he did and most of all Nero read the same book Dante read when he was there and didn't find anything suspicious and once again I missed that part because....THEY WEREN'T CLEAR.......enough...

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
maybe if the game wasn't rushed we maybe woulnd't have really had a slutty Lady cuz in 3 we saw her in sweats or some kinda white pants, and besides that in a game that got time cut how do you get more sales? By giving every female in the game a huge bust

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
maybe if the game wasn't rushed we maybe woulnd't have really had a slutty Lady cuz in 3 we saw her in sweats or some kinda white pants, and besides that in a game that got time cut how do you get more sales? By giving every female in the game a huge bust

I just wanted a classier Lady. DMC3 had Lady's character and looks down packed, and so did the anime. (except her now being Dante's pimp). But DMC4 tried to make Lady to much of a whore and I didn't like that. That's like making Hinata wear slutty clothes and her trying to get into Naruto's pants. -_-

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I just wanted a classier Lady. DMC3 had Lady's character and looks down packed, and so did the anime. (except her now being Dante's pimp). But DMC4 tried to make Lady to much of a whore and I didn't like that. That's like making Hinata wear slutty clothes and her trying to get into Naruto's pants. -_-
Road-to-Ninja-Hinata1.jpg
Road-to-Ninja-new-Sasuke-and-Hinata-uchiha-sasuke-31112435-512-550.jpg

uhhhhhh.....

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Shockingly they already did that.

456px-Rtn_sasuke_and_hinata.jpg

They also made Sasuke into a pimp........yup the devil's nipples must be frozen stiff right now.

You can access Nero's special missions as Dante and they're unplayable due to some of them revolving around Nero's move set. That's proof that backtracking was an afterthought.

I need to dig up those interviews again. Rushed games are very interesting to read about.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
There IS romance in DMC4's story.....cheap and poorly done romance....though it was a bit cute.

In an interview, Kobayashi himself stated he wanted to make DMC4 more appealing to the female audience.....I never said a Japanese audience I said Japanese female audience....thus Nero and Kyrie were made for that purpose.

I never said there wasn't romance in DMC4, I said it wasn't the main focus of the game, so I wouldn't call the whole game some sort of Japanese romance.

Didn't you just say he wanted to make it appeal to a Japanese female (and male) audience? Quote: ''Kobayashi was the one who wanted a new main protagonist (Nero) and wanted to make DMC4 more appealing to Japanese female audience (also males too) and thus introduced the sappy love drama and Kyrie.....oh yeah and Nero. Plus made it more animeish....like a bad bishonen.'' Your main point being about the Japanese, not females in general.

So, you're contradicting yourself.

Furthermore, DMC4 Dante wasn't nearly the same as the Dante in DMC3. Yeah, he stood there watching the Savior and Sanctus and applauding him, because that's what badass characters do. They don't rush over there like you said because ''OMFG OMFG THINGS ARE GONNA GET UGLY IF I DON'T GET THERE SOON!''
I suppose it's another way of being cool. One of them is the ''get things done now'' way, and the other is just taking it easy and acting like nothing phases you. I get that you don't like Dante being humorous and all, but he's evolved from DMC3 Dante. He's more laid back and taunts enemies more instead of just insulting them with humorous remarks. He was to have a more mentor-like vibe.

Dante acting like a moderate version of his DMC3 self is logical. It's who Dante is. Or do you want him to turn into his DMC2 self? Look, DMC4 Dante is probably exactly the way they envisioned him, and it works. If you don't like him personally, that's fine, but don't go around saying he was a bad character like some people have done.

Valcorn

Pretty much, DMC4 Dante was a natural/true evolution of DMC3 Dante, he was never intended to turn into his DMC1 persona as that guy was created by another person (Kamiya)

About the library part, Dante was in Fortuna already by the time Nero arrived, he had lots of time.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Road-to-Ninja-Hinata1.jpg
Road-to-Ninja-new-Sasuke-and-Hinata-uchiha-sasuke-31112435-512-550.jpg

uhhhhhh.....
Shockingly they already did that.

456px-Rtn_sasuke_and_hinata.jpg

They also made Sasuke into a pimp........yup the devil's nipples must be frozen stiff right now.

Yep. Just like that -_- But at least that's in an alternate universe and not the real Hinata so i'm okay with it.

I never said there wasn't romance in DMC4, I said it wasn't the main focus of the game, so I wouldn't call the whole game some sort of Japanese romance.

Didn't you just say he wanted to make it appeal to a Japanese female (and male) audience? Quote: ''Kobayashi was the one who wanted a new main protagonist (Nero) and wanted to make DMC4 more appealing to Japanese female audience (also males too) and thus introduced the sappy love drama and Kyrie.....oh yeah and Nero. Plus made it more animeish....like a bad bishonen.'' Your main point being about the Japanese, not females in general.

So, you're contradicting yourself.

Doesn't make it less true that DMC4 was whored to a female audiance and making the females in it part of a generic anime stereotypes of either damsels in distress, or femme fateles.
Furthermore, DMC4 Dante wasn't nearly the same as the Dante in DMC3. Yeah, he stood there watching the Savior and Sanctus and applauding him, because that's what badass characters do. They don't rush over there like you said because ''OMFG OMFG THINGS ARE GONNA GET UGLY IF I DON'T GET THERE SOON!''
I suppose it's another way of being cool. One of them is the ''get things done now'' way, and the other is just taking it easy and acting like nothing phases you. I get that you don't like Dante being humorous and all, but he's evolved from DMC3 Dante. He's more laid back and taunts enemies more instead of just insulting them with humorous remarks. He was to have a more mentor-like vibe.

Please. DMC4 Dante might as well have been DMC3 Dante in an old man's body the way he acted in that game. Even a badass wouldn't stand there and let Nero get sucked into a giant demon statue, and they surely wouldn't pussyfoot around and let a kid show them up. That's not badass, that's just lazy writing of a character with no substance. Many anime characters fall into this demographic and DMC4 Dante is definetely fallen face first into it.

Dante acting like a moderate version of his DMC3 self is logical. It's who Dante is. Or do you want him to turn into his DMC2 self? Look, DMC4 Dante is probably exactly the way they envisioned him, and it works. If you don't like him personally, that's fine, but don't go around saying he was a bad character like some people have done.

Actually I can cause it's my opinion.

And DMC4 Dante is NOT who Dante is in my eyes. When I look at DMC4 Dante, I don't see Dante, I see some old man trying to be cool but is just coming off as a real poser and trying too hard to be the man he was before instead of maturing to the man he's suppose to mature into.

But as I've said before, it's all from lazy writing that I can't accept DMC4 "Dante" as Dante at all.

Top Bottom