• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If anyone but Batman

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
is this thread supposed to see a problem with a dark/brooding batman or how flat/emotionless/stiff and boring the batman is in arkham games?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
is this thread supposed to see a problem with a dark/brooding batman or how flat/emotionless/stiff and boring the batman is in arkham games?

Neither. The question is asking how we'd respond to a character if they had Batman's characteristics and traits. Would their reception be as favourable?

Implied here -
Basically, do you think if anyone else had Batman's personality, they'd be considered dull and too brooding or would they get as much praise as Batman?

You come to know and accept characters for how they're portrayed. There'll always be another person's spin on an already well established character, such as Batman. I don't think the question should be about how we'd take the new character in terms of, well, their character. But shouldn't we be asking, how can you create a new and interesting character that is able to gain a high level of notability above all other pre-existing ones?

KRSkull

how can you create a new and interesting character that is able to gain a high level of notability above all other pre-existing ones?

That is really simple. You create your character, You write down the good and bad things about him\her, then you take a group of the pre-existing ones, you write down the good and bad things about them. and finally you start removing the bad things about your character and replace it with a good thing from the pre-existing ones.

absolitude

Neither. The question is asking how we'd respond to a character if they had Batman's characteristics and traits. Would their reception be as favourable?

Implied here -

You come to know and accept characters for how they're portrayed. There'll always be another person's spin on an already well established character, such as Batman. I don't think the question should be about how we'd take the new character in terms of, well, their character. But shouldn't we be asking, how can you create a new and interesting character that is able to gain a high level of notability above all other pre-existing ones?

yea i meant, which batman? overall batman or the arkham games should we make towards that other character? because the thread was created after the impression playing arkham games..

batman has many faces since his creation, or do we want to stick to the dark/brooding batman? cuz batman has many faces since his creation.. and in arkham games, there's only that flat batman with the flat voice actor..

if it was the dark/brooding personality in a new character then i don't see any problem, this kind of character is cool to put on.. so many characters are like that

if it was the arkham games batman, then the new character is ****ed, as i said, he's not THE established character with the lame voice actor..

EDIT : thread made after watching arkham knight playthru, and OP specifically mentioned kevin conroy

Last edited:

absolitude

Because Arkham games have sloppy writing in general despite Kevin Conroy's TAS batman being my fav versions of batman.. Arkham Series's batman is my LEAST favourite he's so wooden&bland!

yea, he's so bland in the games that i think he will have the same voice tone scolding the joker and asking a sandwich from alfred..

i think the problem is that in TAS, everyone is doing voice acting for animation standard, so he blends and sounds good.. while in arkham games, conroy stays with the animation standard while all other actors are doing a game --let's just say that games have better level of voice acting, i just felt that batman's voice acting doesn't blend in them games..

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
I agree with @ROCKMAN X a bit but i think the reason Batman comes across as wooden is because it's a video game script & video game writers are different from cartoon/movie writers.
yeah video games are different most of the time you have the teams make disconnected levels bosses set pieces and the writers are told to find a way to make them all connect
there job most of the time is to solve a jigsaw puzzle but all the pieces are from different sets

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Batman's kind of a bat b!tch. I mean, so many other heroes have went through tragedy, yet doesn't act the way he does. He's a bit of a whiner.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
My thing is what's wrong with a dark & brooding Batman to begin with.
I'm just saying that a different form of Batman every now and then wouldn't be bad. Most of the batmans that have been shown are brooding, dark, and Gothic. Or at the very least make a better dark batman that doesn't have the same kind of character as every other batman.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Or at the very least make a better dark batman that doesn't have the same kind of character as every other batman.
Batman's acting too much like Batman
Batman should be more like Batman and less like Batman
the ideal Batman should have more Batman with less Batman and some elements of Batman

LOL i don't even understand what where all saying anymore :D

DragonMaster2010

I'm saying that batman sometimes becomes a parody of himself to the point where it's questionable as to whether he has his own character anymore that hasn't been done before. But I guess at this point originality is a mixed bag, especially for batman since he can be as dry as possible and its okay, but any other character try this, it's uninteresting an not engaging.
It's not like Dante in DMC4 where he sort of became a parody of DMC3 Dante, but in an older body, because Dante's not been around as long as Batman has.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
One thing about Batman, though, is that his enemies are so outlandish and have such big personalities. Think about it, if you were Commissioner Gordon and some dude dressed as a bat came up to you and started talking about his plan to save Gotham and he was acting as out-there and animated as the villains act...would you take him seriously? Would you think "oh, gee, this guy really wants to help Gotham and I should let him!" or would you think he needs to be locked up in Arkham? I mean, I agree; at times he's portrayed as so flat and broody that he gets kinda wangsty and I just sit there hoping he'll get knocked on his butt to shut him up. But, as @VampireWicked and @Director Bison both stated, why can't Batman be dark and brooding and solemn as long as he's written well? Why does he have to be a bright and cheerful Bat-dude just cuz a few people have written him poorly?

DragonMaster2010

One thing about Batman, though, is that his enemies are so outlandish and have such big personalities. Think about it, if you were Commissioner Gordon and some dude dressed as a bat came up to you and started talking about his plan to save Gotham and he was acting as out-there and animated as the villains act...would you take him seriously? Would you think "oh, gee, this guy really wants to help Gotham and I should let him!" or would you think he needs to be locked up in Arkham? I mean, I agree; at times he's portrayed as so flat and broody that he gets kinda wangsty and I just sit there hoping he'll get knocked on his butt to shut him up. But, as @VampireWicked and @Director Bison both stated, why can't Batman be dark and brooding and solemn as long as he's written well? Why does he have to be a bright and cheerful Bat-dude just cuz a few people have written him poorly?

It's not so much I want him to be written as a bright character, rather I just want to see something written about him that's DIFFERENT from the norm of the batman stories.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
It's not so much I want him to be written as a bright character, rather I just want to see something written about him that's DIFFERENT from the norm of the batman stories.

Okay, but how would he be different? I mean, what are you wanting? You said "different", but "different" can go a lot of different ways and, at the same time, not really anywhere at all. The thing is, every major Batman story has a different version of Batman depending on the writer. Batman has been in the dark and broody category since around the '70s and that's now basically canon. Within that time he's been written with a sarcastic and dry sense of humor, as a dude full of rage who's two steps short of a straitjacket, overly logical to the point of ridiculousness, utterly blank, cynical and world-weary...the list goes on. Chances are someone at some time has written something along the vein of what you're wanting out of a Batman story. Which is what I was trying to get at before: why does all Batman media have to change considering it's probably already been done at some time or another?

Pardon if I sound repetitive, but I'm genuinely curious.

Top Bottom