• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ideas For A New Devil May Cry Animates Series

windleopard

For those of you interested in another DMC animated series, how would you go about it?

For me, I'd make it a Netflix production like the current Castlevania series with each season lasting 8 to 10 episodes. Greg Weisman would be in charge of writing, with directing duties given to Genndy Tartakovsky.

Season 1 would be an origin story of sorts with Dante in the aftermath of his mother's death and his brother's disappearance. How he gets his guns and his coat will be seen among other things.

Season 2 will be an adaptation of DMC 3.

Season 3 loosely adapts DMC 1 with some filler episodes about Dante's jobs. It develops Trish more and why she turned on Mundus.

Season 4 adapts DMC 4 which would serve as lead in to a spin off starring Nero.

Season 5 adapts DMC 2 with Trish and Lucia as co-stars.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@windleopard
I'd probably do a mix of loose adaptations of the games and new stories. The games would happened in broad strokes but we might change a few things. We'll weave in between the games and the new stories but it will mostly be new material.

A few years ago i did pitches for individual series on either Vergil, Dante, or Nero.

Dante's would have focused on him between 3 and 1. Its similar to the anime but Dante is younger as well he's setting up the bussiness and trying to figure out how to be a hero. He and Lady also are trying to figure how to work together. They also have other characters who join the bussiness. They might not always stay very long. One big change is the world would have found out about demons after temen-ni-gru appeared. Another is Dante's mercenary past from the light novel is canon and we will see those events play out onscreen.

Nero's would have focused on him directly after 4. We might adapt 4 in broad strokes as the first season. It focuses on how Fortuna copes with the order falling into disarray. Fortuna felt like a 3rd world country with a theocracy so we deal with them trying to figure a new way of life. It's like ff10/ff10-2. I like the concept art of nero more than what we got so I'd like to rewrite it with those ideas or incorporate them more.

I also thought of a Lady/trish spinoff focusing on them infiltrating bad guy groups in an effort to stop them before they get too dangerous. Lucia will probably join them.

Vergil's is set after DMC1. He wakes up in the underworld with no idea how he got there and fragmented memories of who he was. Mundus mind-controlled vergil for around 10 years, his brain is pretty screwed up. So its him trying to figure out who he was while deciding who he's going to be.

If the creative team wants to do something completely new i'd let them pitch it and see how i feel.

Last edited:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
If only to make a DMC Chronicle TV series.

Dante episodes: Before DMC3. Between 3 & 1. Even after events of DMC1.

Nero episodes: Before DMC4 & after.

Trish/Lady episodes:
- Lady: Before & after DMC3. And after DMC1.
- Trish: After DMC1.

Vergil: Perhaps...
- Before DMC3 & DMC4
- Between DMC3 & DMC1

Lucia: ?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I'd want something completely new in the world of DMC.

A tv show is a whole different medium from a video game so play to that strength and bring us something that only a tv show can do instead of lazily recreating the games.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, I have ideas. Any and every fan of any thing has ideas for what they want adapted to film, animation, literature, comics/manga or games. I just don't think anyone wants to hear mine. I tend to have very infuriating ideas and when I say s*** I get a lot of insults.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto
Give it a shot bro.

Its not like we got anything else to talk about.

I mean what else are forums for?

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Z218 See? It's already started.

Anyway, I don't really fanfic, I don't cosplay, or do anything of the sort, and the idea for the thread one step away from being 'post the plot to your fanfic.' I mean, yeah, it's more like make believe that you're in front of some capcom execs pitching your concept for a new DMC anime but, honestly, we'd really all be pitching our fanfic ideas. Yeah, I have a bunch, most artists tend to have an overactive imagination, can't help but want to tell stories and make up scenarios and refined them in my head, especially about something like DMC, which I am very passionate about, but, for me, when I put that much thought into things that will never materialize it weighs heavily on me as self indulgence.

DarkSlayer54

I'd be good with any anime. I enjoyed the DMC one a fair amount.

I'd just want more character development. More focus on the action as well.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think @Z218 said before about a Trish and Lady pairing working well for an anime. They could go do all those jobs Dante hasn’t had time to get around to or is just too damn lazy to do. You could have them report in with Dante every now and then as well to still have him in there but he wouldn’t be the main focus. These missions could take place in between all of the games or just work outside of that all on their own.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm not sure about giving Dante the main focus after how dissapointing he was in the anime.

So i rather focus on other characters and leave him as a supporting player.

I thought about V but we dont know enough about him yet. Like Lucia, he maybe better of as a supporting player to someone else. If Nero is Ichigo than let V be his Ishida?

@LordOfDarkness 's DmC suggestion sounds good. I'd probably want the writer from Castlevania Netflix (Warren Ellis) to come in and do it.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I'd rather a Devil May Cry anime do something different from the usual ideas. Set Dante in a better world with a better story. Show off the stylish combat the game is good at delivering but within the realms of anime. Have Dante interact with new people.

Also, I know a lot of people were against it, but I actually liked the episodic format of Monster-of-the-week the old animated series did. It gave us a look into Dante's everyday life, and I'd rather watch that for a Netflix series then a long-arching plot.

@Z218 See? It's already started.

Anyway, I don't really fanfic, I don't cosplay, or do anything of the sort, and the idea for the thread one step away from being 'post the plot to your fanfic.' I mean, yeah, it's more like make believe that you're in front of some capcom execs pitching your concept for a new DMC anime but, honestly, we'd really all be pitching our fanfic ideas. Yeah, I have a bunch, most artists tend to have an overactive imagination, can't help but want to tell stories and make up scenarios and refined them in my head, especially about something like DMC, which I am very passionate about, but, for me, when I put that much thought into things that will never materialize it weighs heavily on me as self indulgence.
I mean isn't that every professional whose worked on Devil May Cry? Them just writing their own spin and "fanfiction" of the character and the world they reside in?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Monster-of-the-week
The issue with that is that when you think about it those 24 minutes don't really give you enough time to pull off a good story. I've seen it done effectively only on a few occasions and DMC is not one of them. If that was, gun to the head, the way it had to be I'd rather have it at least in 2 episode story format.

I mean isn't that every professional whose worked on Devil May Cry? Them just writing their own spin and "fanfiction" of the character and the world they reside in?
Yes, but their work materializes into something, it has substance in the real world. My overactive imagination would produce nothing that would really go anywhere so I never actively tried to write it down. It's trivial and self indulgent. That's how I see it.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
It’d be nice to stylish action and new weaponry. And bring back classic ones too!

Balance the characters.

Episode 1: Dante
Episode 2: Nero
Episode 3: Lady
Episode 4: Trish
Episode 5: Vergil

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@DragonMaster2010
The anime's format wasn't bad, i just wished they had a more fun story and better character work.

@berto maybe you could just write it out? Its not that different from your editorial on each Dante's differences.

We're not asking for every detail, just broad strokes.

berto

I Saw the Devil
your editorial on each Dante's differences.
Oh, yeah. I wrote that. Spend a lot of time doing random things here, don't I?

Well, be that as it may I think I rather keep these things to myself. Most people think that the things they dream up are brilliant and unique, and, yeah, so do I, but I also know better because I've had my work critiqued. Proper critique, not that stuff your friends tell you to spare your feelings. I know that my concepts are disorganized and often fall short of the goal. That and I think I'd be rather embarrassed even writing it down. You don't really know how silly your stuff is until someone else tells you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
How about this, don't pull a Sonic X like last time. Patty was not as bad as Chris Thorndyke, but was still annoying. I'd say make anime based off either 1, 3, or novel #2.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto i been through that myself so i know the feeling. I still think its better to put it down but i respect your decision.

@BrawlMan Patty was a weird fit because you never understood why she stuck around past the first episode. The ign review talked about the show trying to do a surrogate father/daughter bond but it was too one note to be convincing.

Even without Patty the show wouldn't have worked because Dante and his dynamic with everyone else was still too flat to hold my interest.

Top Bottom