• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How'd Vergil get Yamato?

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
in DmC, I'm actually curious as to how Vergil even got Yamato? Did he go through the same thing Dante did when getting his weapons, and if so, why did Dante get a freakin' scythe and axe, while Vergil just got a sword?

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
I assume Yamato and Rebellion have had their roles switched a little in DmC. In DMC Yamato is the special one because of its power to control hellgates and stuff like that, whereas Rebellion just seems to be a regular sword that Dante channels his power into. In DmC on the other hand, Rebellion seems inherently more supernatural in that it can't manifest in the real world, whereas Yamato obviously can.

My guess is that if Vorgel even bothered touching the glowing circle thing, he wouldn't have gotten anything out of it; Yamato doesn't seem capable of shapeshifting like Rebellion can. In Downfall he just channels demonic/angelic power into it and uses it in a different manner.

As for how he got it, Sparda gave it to him, same with Rebellion.

It's just the way it is, poor Vergil he didn't even get the cool sword from mommy and daddy, no wonder he loses his mind and goes full evil in Vergil's Downfall. Can you imagine what it must have felt like to Vergil as a child seeing his brother Dante changing his sword into all types of crazy **** while his just stayed the same. Guess his doppelganger was right, he was the unloved and unwanted child, eva was lying when she said she cared about them both equally :p.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Like it always was, both given their respected weapons when they were young by their father.

And the reason why Dante gets more weapons is because he's the main character of the game and Devil May Cry has always had a thing about multiple weapons. :eek:
That and Vergil doesn't go around earning the weapons.

Makes you wonder, though, Vergil went to their home but his parents didn't give him any other weapons, why only for Dante?

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Y'know I kinda feel like it's a personality thing. Throughout the games (except 2 & 4) Dante seems to go through multiples moods while Vergil usually keeps a calm, collected mentality. Dante also tends to fight with overwhelming force while Vergil seem more of the "Wait for an opening then strike" type. Did this even make sense to anyone? o_O

Y'know I kinda feel like it's a personality thing. Throughout the games (except 2 & 4) Dante seems to go through multiples moods while Vergil usually keeps a calm, collected mentality. Dante also tends to fight with overwhelming force while Vergil seem more of the "Wait for an opening then strike" type. Did this even make sense to anyone? o_O
Yes it did. :). That's probably one of the reasons. I mean Rebel = Rebellion, there is lots of stuff like that in DmC and DMC, where the animations and moves reflect the personalities of the characters.

Railazel

Actually, Vergil and Dante were close in term of how their weapons fuctioned. In the first release of "The Secret" gameplay video, Dante's combat was very similar to Vergil's where, instead of Rebellion changing shape, it would simply change color. In fact, Vergil's Downfall seems to be influenced by ideas that were seemingly scrapped in mid- development such as the look of his Devil Trigger which you could see in concept designs for Dante's DT.

However, we shouldn't consider it "normal" when compared to Rebellion since Yamato has the ability to lock the Hell Gates. Even more so, its ability to be seen outside of Limbo is probably a connection to Vergil having fully realized his abilities. It is possible that if Dante learned to control his powers to a greater extent, he too wouldn't feel the need to change Rebellion's shape.

But it does beg the question as to whether or not their parents intended for both of them to inherit Osiris and Arbiter or just Dante. And if just Dante, is it a sign of favoritism towards him?

Sunaka Marién

Actually, Vergil and Dante were close in term of how their weapons fuctioned. In the first release of "The Secret" gameplay video, Dante's combat was very similar to Vergil's where, instead of Rebellion changing shape, it would simply change color.

I doubt that, Osiris and Arbiter where already there in that trailer, I think they just hadn't yet fully implemented everything so that Rebellion would instantly change into the weapon selected.

It is possible that if Dante learned to control his powers to a greater extent, he too wouldn't feel the need to change Rebellion's shape.

I doubt that too, because that'd just kinda take away too much from what makes Rebellion special, plus I'm pretty sure Dante really loves his toys ;P

But it does beg the question as to whether or not their parents intended for both of them to inherit Osiris and Arbiter or just Dante. And if just Dante, is it a sign of favoritism towards him?
I personally don't think it was favoritism, because, as you said, Yamato isn't just a normal sword either, so, in exchange for having mulitple weapons, Vergil got the sword with the might to open and close the hellgate( as well as just being able to open portals in general, as it seems?). Osiris and Arbiter seem to have only intended to be for Dante, as his sword seems to be designed to absorb demonic and angelic energy, and transform it into a weapon for its wielder.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
vergil did wield both demonic and angelic power and was able to channel it through yamato. plus, each sword might have it's own respected ability. rebellion can shape shift and yamato can control hellgates

The Final Offer

I believe Yamato was created to absorb energy. So, Eva's seal would activate Yamato's Angel Mode and Sparda's seal would activate Yamato's Demon Mode.

What's more important to ask is where did Dante get Ebony and Ivory from this time around?

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I believe Yamato was created to absorb energy. So, Eva's seal would activate Yamato's Angel Mode and Sparda's seal would activate Yamato's Demon Mode.

What's more important to ask is where did Dante get Ebony and Ivory from this time around?
He probably stole them considering DmC Dante's background here; DMC Dante and Nero had their signature handguns crafted since they were in fortunate situations - Dante wasn't ostracized and Nero was under The Order of the Sword's protection. Ninja Theory said the design for E&I in DmC was to reflect a sense of age, so maybe during a trip into Limbo, Dante was able to leave with these as "souvenirs". That or they're Dante's manifestation of power.

The Rebellion and the shield with the same symbol on Dante's back were shown with Sparda while Yamato and E&I were never mentioned to be related to Sparda at all. Vergil and Dante could have manifested Yamato and E&I as their respective physical powers. This kind of fits in with Vergil having more control of his demonic and/or angelic heritage than Dante; he was able to manifest a powerful and terrible sword while Dante was only able to manifest a pair of Desert Eagle-like pistols. It also fits in with Vergil having a more classy and sophisticated air by having a sword; back in the old days only people of status carried swords while regular grunts carried spears and other simple weapons. E&I would fit into Dante's more rebel," shoot first, ask questions later", and wannabe gangster look. Remember, this Dante doesn't have an established identity yet compared to DMC Dante. You could even say DmC is a coming of age story. After all, DmC Dante started off as a punk trying to be cool, tough guy who matures and becomes a selfless hero.

Anyway, Rebellion and the shield would then appear to take over Sparda's role as the twin's inheritance from their father. DmC's Rebellion being able to shape-shift and ability to tap into their father's (and mother's and other's) powers makes it much more similar to Sparda, the weapon.

The other thing is that Sparda possessed a neutral weapon, Rebellion. The Arbiter and Osiris are implied to be either weapons used by Sparda and Eva or just their powers given form; the Arbiter is a crushing force while Osiris is a graceful and beautiful weapon. So, the other wild theory could be that Yamato belonged to Sparda similar to the history of DMC. In DmC, before leaving Vergil, Sparda may have given Yamato to him. The graffiti during Dante and Vergil's talke has Yamato looking wicked and demonic while Rebellion remains as is. So, Yamato may have more demonic origins: Sparda. E&I are still a mystery. Maybe they're Eva's gifts to Dante. Kind of like having two guardian angels for her son. That and in DMC, E&I had portraits of two women which could be referenced as "angels" in DmC that protect Dante.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Demon Pawnshop.
Every time I see pawn shops, I think of Pawn Stars. That show was hilarious.
2013-07-26-259_PawnStars.jpg

Reactions: Jak

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That and Vergil doesn't go around earning the weapons.

Makes you wonder, though, Vergil went to their home but his parents didn't give him any other weapons, why only for Dante?

Well, Dante is seen as the one who fights, while Vergil is the tactician. Sparda probably figured they would play those respective roles well, so Dante was given the weapon that allowed him to hold his own on the front lines. Although at the same time, while Rebellion can change forms, Yamato can still take on a specific aspect with the Angel and Demon modes. It's sort of how one is a very outward effect, while the other is very inward.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Can you imagine what it must have felt like to Vergil as a child seeing his brother Dante changing his sword into all types of crazy **** while his just stayed the same.
Not exactly. It is shown during "Home Truths" that Vergil and Dante fought using wooden swords when they were..6, I am going to assume? Because at 7, they were taken away by Sparda and had their memories wiped. So, they didn't really have the chance to measure their swords until they reunited at the age of 20-something. Besides, as TWOxACCROSS very well pointed it out, Vergil could open and shut hell gates using that sword, create clones of himself and little blue swords that would fly around the battle arena. It wasn't that useless after all.

It is clear that Dante unleashed his Rebellion at the age of 14-15, by the looks of a few images shown in his flashbacks of him holding the head of a demon wolf in one hand and the Rebellion in another. It was very easy for him, since the Rebellion was a part of him in a way. I am curious as to how Vergil got it, though. Cause I am sure that wherever Vergil grew up, they were against kids who sheathed bigass swords.

The Final Offer

Can't forget that Vergil and Dante can hide their weapons in plain sight.

Vergil was given Yamato by Sparda, the way it happened should've been similar to how Dante obtained Rebellion. I wanna say a suitable way for this to have happened is when Vergil was studying his limits whilst reading Darwin. I'd say in the backyard of his Mansion.

It became quite clear that Vergil was like Dante (post game) at the beginning of his demon fighting career. He even goes as far as cleansing a fraction of limbo which, in game, Dante uses to find his hidden potential.

But once again, we are left wanting to know the full origin story of our characters. We want the cut-scenes played out before us.

Sunaka Marién

It is clear that Dante unleashed his Rebellion at the age of 14-15, by the looks of a few images shown in his flashbacks of him holding the head of a demon wolf in one hand and the Rebellion in another. It was very easy for him, since the Rebellion was a part of him in a way.
Hmm, he looked more like 10-13 to me? Oh well.
I am curious as to how Vergil got it, though. Cause I am sure that wherever Vergil grew up, they were against kids who sheathed bigass swords.
I'm not quite sure, but was it ever stated that Vergil was given to an orphanage aswell? Maybe Sparda just gave him to that rich family from the start? Like, the Sparda family was obviously quite wealthy aswell, so it's possible they knew other wealthy families they could trust which Mundus might have not know about. Because that way, Sparda could have just given Yamato to Vergil's foster parents, and they kept it for him until he was old enough to get it back.

Top Bottom