• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

how would you "case west" this game?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@Deathstroke anything to add? (yeah I'm bumping my own thread :p)
I actually had a wall of text trying to "re-write" DmC into the Classic DMC continuity... but I forgot all of it. XD

What I was thinking was pretty much your idea... but I'll have a go at it anyway.

----

DmC: Rebirth

Ok, so I'm not going to keep any Angel elements in the story because that seems to make people angry -- despite the fact that one of DmC's writers agreed that a demon/angel hybrid like DmC Dante and Vergil were weaker individually than pure demons because their angelic qualities would make them weaker against demonic energy than demon/human hybrids would be.

----

Dante has white hair. Check.

Vergil has white hair. Check.

Both are hybrid demon/human cambions. Check.

----

DmC opens up with Dante (in a black jacket) trying to buy a business even though he has no money. The landowner notifies Argosax and Argosax sends the Hunter demon after him.

Kat finds him and informs him that he has to escape before the Hunter can find him.

Where does all this take place? In a fictional downtrodden metropolis called Janos City (a reference to the duality of Dante and Vergil).

I don't have the best ideas, I know.

He fights the Hunter demon and escapes. Next Mission.

----

Vergil currently owns an underground Forbidden Library where occultists come to gather in order to obtain and trade information on the Dark Arts.

I won't keep the amnesia thing either because it's been done too many times already. Dante simply lost track of his brother while escaping from the demons that overran their house and simply thought he was dead. Same for Vergil.

There won't be a "twist ending" either because that also upset a lot of people.

----

Their swords and guantlets can still come out of their backs and hands (because we saw that happen when you pressed the right analog stick in DMC1) but there won't be any tattoos. Because the fandom never liked that idea.

----

I don't know what happened to them growing up, but I'll just assume that a rich couple (with ties to the occult), saw what Vergil could do (in a street fight or w/e) -- so they viewed him as a means of protection against home invaders (which would explain why Vergil is as cold as he is -- he grew up with people who never cared for him but still feels the need to protect them anyway) and other would-be criminals.

Dante grew up as an only child with two poor parents who couldn't have their own offspring; they're desperate but ultimately good-hearted people which would shape Dante's own upbringing as a result.

I didn't claim that either one grew up homeless (or in an orphanage) because fans didn't -- (you know the rest)

----

So, Kat (who's adoptive parents were also rich and tied to the occult) met Vergil, Vergil did her a favor and... well he did what he could to help her.

She ended up being so grateful that she swore a supernatural life-debt to him in exchange for his help -- even though he said it wasn't necessary, but didn't argue too much because she had the ability to explore the demonic realms without being seen.

So, while the various worlds of different hells (and the mirror dimension of hell in DMC1) do exist, none of them are actually "Limbo".

Heaven (in this world), is like Valhalla (Archangel Heaven) -- you fight and feast for eternity. In hell... I dunno you fight against the various nightmare scenarios and try to find your way out because blahblah (haven't worked out the details so w/e).

----

Vergil requests Dante for help (in his usual cold manner), and Dante reluctantly agrees.

He agreed because Vergil passive-aggressively taunted him and says something along the lines of:

"If you're not up for the challenge, then maybe a real warrior should step in instead."

Dante then inquires, "Then why haven't you done it?"

Vergil answers, "I've been preparing; I thought it would help in your quest for vengeance... and my own journey for power. But if you really want to leave, then go.

But before you do... just know that I had managed to garner quite a bit of capital on your behalf, and would've helped you open up your own private investigation/peacekeeping company as payment, but I see now that my efforts were in vain."

Tempted, Dante then states, "Do whatever you want -- I couldn't care less... but I didn't know that you were willing to go so far as to help with my own business."

Vergil then says snidely, "You never asked. Besides, it's the fight itself that we should be striving for, not the end goal."

Dante replies, "I know. But I think both are important. However, if you turn your back on our deal, I'll make sure you'll regret it."

Vergil then nods. "Fair enough. Agreed."

----

So, instead of Limbo, they both go their separate ways down into the different hell-planes, each one more extreme than the next (each character has their own ten-mission campaign).

When Dante and Vergil meet up at the end of the game, they both look for the Force Edge at the top of the Ice Castle in the Ninth Circle dimension (I know, no originality here at all).

----

Vergil: "Where is it!?"

Dante: "Calm down Vergil."

Vergil: "Don't tell me to calm down. I didn't do all of this for nothing! If it hadn't been for Kat breaking through the dimensional barrier, and the Yamato keeping the portal open, you never would've acquired your new weapons to begin with."

Dante: "You think I care about any of this? Take them. We managed to defeat Argosax [by having the player take turns fighting him] and all you can think about is more power?? What's wrong with you? You were the one who said that the end didn't matter, only the journey did."

Vergil: "And you were the one who said that one mattered just as much as the other."

Dante: "You're right. When all is said and done, I did get what I came for. But now, I don't need anything else. I'm leaving. Having more power isn't worth giving up your humanity."

----

Dante then throws his weapons into the circle design on the floor (inside the room of the highest tower in the castle), and then... plants the Rebellion in the ground as sign of reluctant respect for Sparda's final battle with Mundus.

The Rebellion then blasts bolts of red lightning (through the ground) towards the weapons. All the weapons (except for the Rebellion) then fuse into Force Edge.

An impenetrable barrier then rises up around the newly-forged blade. Dante's other weapons return to his body.

----

Vergil looks on in shock.

He then offers up his own weapons in the hopes of gaining the Force Edge for himself, but his own armaments were ultimately rejected in a backlash of power.

When Vergil's weapons reabsorb themselves to his being, he goes into a frenzy and attacks Dante out of envy (due to the fact that Vergil's weapons were corrupted by his own greed, temporarily rendering him unstable and insane) and hatred.

Dante fights Vergil, and loses. He loses his grip on Ivory, and it drops to the ground.

[The player first fights Dante as Vergil, then a cutscene occurs after Dante's health reaches close to zero. Dante's pure spirit protects him from Vergil's final onslaught.]

----

[The player then fights Vergil as Dante, but can't get Vergil's health down to zero either.]

Out of desperation, Dante reaches into the barrier while the demonic energy burns off his skin and muscle, revealing the bone underneath.

Dante grabs the Force Edge, and aims Ebony at Vergil.

Vergil, through his madness, senses what's about to happen and picks up Ivory. Vergil tries to slice into the barrier (with Yamato) as well, but can't cut into it (even with Yamato's power). His soul is too corrupted to break through.

But it doesn't matter, since Vergil managed to absorb and harness the power of Force Edge's backlash wave to counter Ebony.

They glare at each other, and say in unison, "Jackpot."

They both pull the trigger. In that one blast, Vergil and Dante lose all of their demonic energy, and the Force Edge shatters and disappears from the blowback of the energy collision.

----

Vergil, realizing that neither one could barely even move anymore, says to Dante:

"I don't know what just happened, but I'm going to keep searching... and one day, the power of Sparda will be mine."

Although Dante could only guess at what took place that day, he stood there in disbelief over Vergil not realizing what had caused the Force Edge to be summoned there in the first place (a willingness to sacrifice everything that was important to you for the greater good).

He also suspected, that Vergil had thought that the Force Edge only appeared to challenge them both to see who the strongest warrior to wield it would be.

No other explanation would make sense to someone like Vergil.

----

Dante shook his head, and began to leave.

Vergil then called after him, "In one year, I will challenge you again -- I think I know where the Force Edge might be right now, and it's in a place that's even worse than the trials we've had to endure here. It'll be the hardest trial I'll ever have to endure, but I'll get to where it's held eventually. By any means necessary. Only a true demon will be strong enough to pursue and ultimately, own it.

One year, Dante."

Dante closed his eyes in exasperation. What was Vergil going on about now???

----

"Sure. Whenever you want, bro."

Vergil, surprised that Dante accepted the challenge, then decided to save the best part of his "duel" for the destined day when they were to meet again (one that involved a literal "earth-shattering" revelation).

He couldn't wait to see the look on Dante's face when that day arrived.

Dante, on his way out, spotted a red jacket where the Force Edge used to be. His own jacket and guns were ruined in the fight with Vergil. He was surprised that Vergil hadn't even bothered to acknowledge it.

Then again, given his twin brother's blind ambition, he really shouldn't have been.

----

When he slipped it on, a rush of energy blazed through him and new guns appeared in his hands. They had been the same Ebony and Ivory he had made himself, but with a few subtle differences.

They had a mystical, ethereal sheen covering them which, Dante suspected, would ensure that they would never wear down or break.

Dante's own gunsmith skills were above par, but even he couldn't forge guns at this level of craftsmanship. At his very best, he could only perform an infinite ammo-spell on them when it came to magical fusion.

Vergil could barely stand, let alone see well enough to know what happened when Dante put on the trench coat (due to his now-blurry vision). He then lost consciousness due to the energy wave that coursed through the jacket into Dante's hands.

Dante thought it was a good thing that Vergil didn't see what just happened (he hoped), otherwise he would've been livid at the thought of Dante walking away with a parting gift while he himself received absolutely nothing.

----

"For Tony Redgrave
By .45 Art Warks"

After leaving the hell-dimension, Dante laughed when he checked the inscription on his new toys. What??

The son of Sparda guessed that this was his father's way of saying, "Nobody's perfect."

----

Dante then frowned. Why couldn't Sparda have come back from whatever Archangel or Inferno dimension he was in right now? Was he not permitted? Could he only appear in certain conditions?

Dante had a feeling that if he were ever able to grasp the Sparda Sword in its true form, he knew that he would've felt his father's presence within him.

But that was such a cop out. Sparda left. And as cold as he was (but still sporadically humorous at times), he never even said goodbye.

He might have sacrificed his own life to seal Mundus, but in the end, Dante (and Vergil) still ended up alone. And now, he didn't even have his brother on his side anymore to show for it.

He then understood Vergil's frustration.

It might've been a worthy sacrifice to protect everyone in order to keep the demons from escaping the hell and mirror dimensions (and train oneself in the art of fighting them) , but it still didn't make this whole ordeal any less bitter.

No wonder his father and his brother turned out the way they did. And now, their darkness had managed to somehow "infect" Dante as well. He realized that one way or another, he'll have to do this for the rest of his life.

----

Once he reached his apartment, he saw a letter waiting for him at the door inside.

It stated that a "mysterious (but wealthy) benefactor" had bought and renovated an old building to look like a miniature castle (classic Vergil) and was to be given to him after signing the proper documents.

Dante couldn't believe it. Even after everything that'd happened, Vergil still kept his word. Dante had to admit, at least his brother was a man of honor.

It was signed, "Gilver Blueblood".

Dante smiled despite himself. That's a little too on the nose, isn't it, Vergil?

Well, that's what he got for picking out a corny name like "Tony Redgrave" as an alias. Let Vergil have his fun while he could, Dante thought.

----

Slaying demons, performing exorcisms, crime-solving, patrolling, following cheating spouses around... it was a never-ending burden. But in the end, he also knew that he wouldn't have it any other way. Might as well enjoy the ride.

All he could do now was keep the party rockin'.

Lock. And. Load.

----

Secret Ending: After clearing 100 demons within the time limit --

Vergil, still staring at the circle where the Force Edge had once stood, wondering what went wrong in the most important endeavor of his life (so far) sees an unholy glass mask slowly rising up from a glowing crack on the ground in the center.

A crack that had formed when the Force Edge shattered.

It had black crosses over its eyes and was pale white (almost translucent) in color, with a menacing grin. A grin (from Sparda, undoubtedly) that taunted Vergil.

At times, Vergil remembered, Sparda could be goofier than Dante -- which would make him all the scarier (especially in the heat of battle) when he was angry.

Vergil shuddered. That kind of power couldn't be controlled... but that wouldn't stop him from trying.

He then placed the mask upon his face, deciding that the consequences didn't matter anymore.

----

The mask then disappeared. In its place, a Dark Force Edge manifested in Vergil's hands.

Vergil, stunned at what he was holding, decided to test it out.

It was powerful, but could only lodge itself in the fortified castle wall instead of cutting clean through.

It just wasn't the same.

Vergil then drew the Dark Edge back into his soul, vowing to never allow Dante see him use it.

He couldn't bear the thought of his brother looking down upon him with pity, knowing that Vergil only received a consolation prize while his (now) mortal enemy had been presented with a brand new jacket.

It made him want to cut his brother's trench coat into pieces; he'll have his chance soon enough.

Just one year...

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Deathstroke pretty good for a rough draft.

I would say maybe just have the setting be Dumary Islands and you could have it tie into DMC2. Dante's quiet demeanor was just him flashing back to these events.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@Deathstroke pretty good for a rough draft.

I would say maybe just have the setting be Dumary Islands and you could have it tie into DMC2. Dante's quiet demeanor was just him flashing back to these events.
What the eff dude? I was just thinking this could be a flashback story, and you go ahead and post my thoughts lol.

----

The game could open with Trish going into the shop, telling Lucia that Dante didn't make it (yet), and then Nero, Lady, Kat (who decided to live a life of peace after the "pre-DMC3 retcon") and Kyrie would stop by and find out what happened to Dante.

Trish tells the story of how Kat met Dante ( in DmC: Rebirth) and then, at the end of the story, Dante comes back with his clothes torn up, battered and bruised, and says he just got out of "Deep Hell" (creating a connection to the Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne storyline in a very loose way).

He doesn't have to mention Demi-fiend (who was the main character in SMTN -- he has to be vague about it to avoid Atlus copyright), he just has to mention that he barely survived hell itself.

Also, he'll mention that Vergil decided to stay and keep watch over Mundus as the Hell Warden (and to keep the hell gates closed).

It can be done in literally five lines of dialogue. There doesn't even need to be a cutscene (Vergil can just talk into a microphone like Nero did when he remembered how he got his devil bringer power).

----

It'll be a satisfactory finale, wrapping things up with a phone call. When Dante hangs up, everyone jumps out the front doors and breaks through the windows (even Kyrie, since Nero would've mentioned by then that she's gone through some demon-hunter training).

The End

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Deathstroke people would still probably complain about it.

But it would have been cool if thus was what DmC was.

I did want to use the angel bits but Eva would have come back as an angel. When she died, she went to heaven and was offered angelhood.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I think they'd complain about it less if Dante were more like his DMC1 self; but you're right, in any case.

Having DMC:R take place on the Dumary Islands is also a good idea. This would be a good chance to make the world design from DMC2 look better.

----

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would've had Eva be a sorceress instead of an Angel because most people seem to prefer that option. The twins therefore would've been warlock/demon hybrids and Vergil could've said something such as, "Even the humans themselves made obtaining power a priority, Dante."

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
@Deathstroke That was more because of Argosax's presence in your treatment. I was gonna say make Kat nero's mom and you could have her tell this story to him and Kyrie when they find her but that feels too tidy.

that might went too far, but it is tidy, and really beautiful.. i could see the narration going..

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@Deathstroke That was more because of Argosax's presence in your treatment. I was gonna say make Kat nero's mom and you could have her tell this story to him and Kyrie when they find her but that feels too tidy.
I considered the same thing too.

However, that begs the quesiton: was Kat the woman that Vergil met on Fortuna Island (in DMC4SE)?

----

I decided not to get into it and have Kat only play a minor role in the overall revamped DMC: Redux story.

David Ryatta

I'd love to have let Ninja Theory poke fun at themselves by having original Dante somehow end up in that game.. a silly campaign where he picks up on everything and calls out the stupid stuff as he sees it.. or just have a Reuben Langdon as Dante mock commentary for the game

i know its not a Case West in actuality, but it could be fun

DDutchguy

DmC hype
I'd love to have let Ninja Theory poke fun at themselves by having original Dante somehow end up in that game.. a silly campaign where he picks up on everything and calls out the stupid stuff as he sees it.. or just have a Reuben Langdon as Dante mock commentary for the game

i know its not a Case West in actuality, but it could be fun

As a DmC fan I'd actually really love that haha

Top Bottom