• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How We Gamers Are Really Viewed By The Society And The Industry As A Whole.

Zany Blac

In Light Of The Collective Panning Of The New DmC Trailer... I feel like we all need to take a deep breath sit back, relax and once again act like civilized people.

A game is a game, a form of entertainment and should rightfully remain so.

To treat it as anything more than that is well...

I hope whoever reads this finds it hitting the nail on the head and hopefully we can return to enjoying games for what they are, and more importantly look forward to a new Devil May Cry game.

:)

Comments Welcome.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not-cool-to-admit-youre-gamer_p2.html

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I can remember when i had an operation a couple of years ago, the anestherist asked me what my hobbies were. When I said gaming, her reply was, "I though only boys did that"
I was too incapacitated to reply.

I think gaming is still typically seen as a hobby for horny teenage boys, who enjoy killing prostitutes in GTA, and will go on to do it IRL.
At least, that is what a leading women's magazine in the Uk has been focusing on.

No one can except that there are FEMALE GAMERS.
I wrote a letter to that magazine, it was a pretty harsh one as i recall.
(I called them Nazi's that were flaunting untrue propaganda). Not nice i know, but, if you insult one, you insult all!

Zany Blac

I just feel that for the good of gaming as a whole we have to make an effort and clean up our image

For the good of gaming as a whole or else... well mediums of entertainment do die out...

I do believe that most gamers are girls VB.

At least most of the gamers i know are girls. :)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Vergil'sB*tch;275123 said:
I can remember when i had an operation a couple of years ago, the anestherist asked me what my hobbies were. When I said gaming, her reply was, "I though only boys did that"
I was too incapacitated to reply.

I think gaming is still typically seen as a hobby for horny teenage boys, who enjoy killing prostitutes in GTA, and will go on to do it IRL.
At least, that is what a leading women's magazine in the Uk has been focusing on.

No one can except that there are FEMALE GAMERS.
I wrote a letter to that magazine, it was a pretty harsh one as i recall.
(I called them Nazi's that were flaunting untrue propaganda). Not nice i know, but, if you insult one, you insult all!

Amen to that. It is kinda sexist of them to think only guys play games. I know a few girls who play games, and some of them like those... adult Japanese games, like Fate/stay night, and adult dating sims Japanese games.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Er...the OTHER kind of Adult Visual Novels...the YAOI ones.[barf]

Thank god that reverse harem or Bishounen games as they are most commonly known exist fro a proper Visual Novel experience for girls.To bad they don't sell enough...

Yet nowadays even though Hentai games[H-games] used to be an alternative naming for Adult Visual novels,now it seems that they are two different categories.Now H-games are barinless non-stop H-scene fests while Adult Visual Novels retain the good old aura and have a great and sometimes emercing and sophisticated[yes,they can have] story and characters...too bad they are not that many any more.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I found a hentai rom of columns for a mega drive emulator.

There is only one Yaoi comic i like. And that's saved to my computer.
I do own DMC yaoi, but I will admit, i didn't know what it was when i bought it.
I've led a very sheltered life

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
^Wow. :lol: It doesn't matter if you led a sheltered life. It's what you are that matters.

^^Believe me, these girls don't play yaoi games, for some reason. I don't know what should make of them. It's kinda weird when girls play adult games that are meant for guys.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!VB,how could you?[Looks at own hentai...]

Erm...then again,who am I to judge people.*cough*

It's not like the male audience is the "clean" ones in the whole Hentai affair.Everytime a male comments about Hentai the most of the comebacks are associated with the "love for tentacles and lolis".Jesus!

But enough of all the off-topicness I brought in.

I really don't care thta much,at least any more.In my country gaming died when WoW set foot here along with Counter Strike and Dota.Eversince then,there are no other Video Games...at all.I still have my friends and we still talk about VG normally.I don't care that much about what the "gaming world" does anymore since things are fine as they are...however,I'm ready to smack heads,Rage harder and fiercer than mr.Credo and mr.Keaton combined and finally kick some butt if the gaming crowd forces some unecessary changes in the gaming world,such as :

The handheld consoles and games stop being Region free
The PS 3 stop being Region Free
Due to excessive piracy,the companies shelve the portable games and focus on the console solely instead

etc

moseslmpg

The whole "I thought only boys played games" thing should be taken as a compliment, not an insult. What they are saying is that they thought only boys were dumb enough to waste their time on arbitrary, frivolous tasks that amount to nothing in the real world. I think they expect women to be more mature than that.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;275163 said:
The whole "I thought only boys played games" thing should be taken as a compliment, not an insult. What they are saying is that they thought only boys were dumb enough to waste their time on arbitrary, frivolous tasks that amount to nothing in the real world. I think they expect women to be more mature than that.

Talk about bleak with a capital B, man.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
if its Hentai were talking about, Beat Angel Escalayer FTW!!! and as far as girl gamers, Ive never actualy had the plessure of meeting one unfortunatly, Ive met the odd girl who enjoys things like a few wii games or something but never actualy a hardcore gamer, which i find quite strange and a bit upseting im just holdin out for a gal that can do a freiza impression then im in love :)but i know my future wife will be able to kick my ass at mvc 3!, wow what a tangent i went off on, i would love to meet more female game enthusiasts!.

In response to cleaning up our image, i get quite proud when talking about my fondness for gaming(guess i just love im a geek!) and with how mainstreaming "casual gaming" is getting, i like to make sure people differentiate from the average fifa or gta fan(not that there's is MUCH wrong with liking them)but then again i can be a very smug individual :)

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I don't think i could meet a man who's a gamer like me.
Plus, I'm a bit of a handful. So most men don't like me.
Actually, no one takes a second look at me.

All gamers are tarred with the same brush. It would take alot to change society's opinion i think

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Screw them all, thats what i say, iknow i have A LOT more fun with my hobbies than society does with its poxy way to enjoy yourself the way your told to.

We must go out every weekend to a dark pit of a club, listen to awful music so loud we have to shout and still cant even understand what we're saying then get completely s*** faced, throw-up all over ourselves while we unrashionaly hate all members of the same sex and incessantly try to mate with the opposite, id rather slay a dragon and get a knew sword :)

-moral of the essay, if someone doesn't accept you for what you enjoy and who you are, think how petty and pathetic that is (like hating someone cause they like the colour blue) would you even want to know them?

moseslmpg

Storm Silves;275165 said:
Talk about bleak with a capital B, man.
More like realistic with a capital R. I find that men tend to be less prudent than women, generally. And of course, games are just games. They are for fun, although many people don't play them for fun anymore, but they aren't essential or anything.

Meg

SpawnShooter;275190 said:
Screw them all, thats what i say, iknow i have A LOT more fun with my hobbies than society does with its poxy way to enjoy yourself the way your told to.

We must go out every weekend to a dark pit of a club, listen to awful music so loud we have to shout and still cant even understand what we're saying then get completely s*** faced, throw-up all over ourselves while we unrashionaly hate all members of the same sex and incessantly try to mate with the opposite, id rather slay a dragon and get a knew sword :)

-moral of the essay, if someone doesn't accept you for what you enjoy and who you are, think how petty and pathetic that is (like hating someone cause they like the colour blue) would you even want to know them?

How can you like the color blue? HMPH! *stomps off*

Just kidding. Very good point.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I love gaming. I admit to getting a tad angry sometimes, but I don't blast people online for killing me, or for taking a kill of mine. I don't enjoy mindless violence (though I do like Gears of War...there are just too many things about that game that I enjoy) I don't play games like God of War and then get extremely horny over things like the Aphrodite part (normally I don't even mess with them...and yeah, I'm 16)

I simply play them for fun. I love a lot of the stories in games out there. Some of them are bland. Some of them aren't. I still love them all the same, because they're fun. It's visual entertainment that I can interact with, not just watch.

Things like shooters, I enjoy because there is a certain fun, satisfactory element to killing something. And don't say I'm psychotic, because there is a certain need for violence in everyone's life.

Games are also stress relievers in some cases. Angry at the boss or the school teacher. Go home and blow off some steam by shooting a few guys or winning a few car races.

I don't understand why people have to be so...well, terrible when it comes to gaming...at least as far as anger issues go. Sometimes I'll get fed up if I have a losing streak, but normally I can just take one deep breath, and move on, because it's a game.

As moses said, games are for fun. They're simply an entertainment medium.

One more thing...I read that article that Zany posted, and I gotta say...the reason games (or at least shooters) are 90% combat and 10% story is because if it was rationed out into movie percentiles (maybe 20-30% action)...games wouldn't be long. Dunno about any of you, but I prefer a decent 8-12 hour video game :]

aka958

Don't trust people
BlueDevil;275265 said:
I love gaming. I admit to getting a tad angry sometimes, but I don't blast people online for killing me, or for taking a kill of mine. I don't enjoy mindless violence (though I do like Gears of War...there are just too many things about that game that I enjoy) I don't play games like God of War and then get extremely horny over things like the Aphrodite part (normally I don't even mess with them...and yeah, I'm 16)

I simply play them for fun. I love a lot of the stories in games out there. Some of them are bland. Some of them aren't. I still love them all the same, because they're fun. It's visual entertainment that I can interact with, not just watch.

Things like shooters, I enjoy because there is a certain fun, satisfactory element to killing something. And don't say I'm psychotic, because there is a certain need for violence in everyone's life.

Games are also stress relievers in some cases. Angry at the boss or the school teacher. Go home and blow off some steam by shooting a few guys or winning a few car races.

I don't understand why people have to be so...well, terrible when it comes to gaming...at least as far as anger issues go. Sometimes I'll get fed up if I have a losing streak, but normally I can just take one deep breath, and move on, because it's a game.

As moses said, games are for fun. They're simply an entertainment medium.

One more thing...I read that article that Zany posted, and I gotta say...the reason games (or at least shooters) are 90% combat and 10% story is because if it was rationed out into movie percentiles (maybe 20-30% action)...games wouldn't be long. Dunno about any of you, but I prefer a decent 8-12 hour video game :]

Zany has never heard of most JRPGS. XD

Top Bottom