• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How to best play through DMC3 VERGIL mode

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Hey so i have just started dmc hd edition dmc3 vergil storyline and im looking for any tips or hints to make the play through easier for combat, lvling, and any and all tricks to help score as high as possible in style

MKH Spartan

Make sure you consistently switch between your 3 weapons to keep your style up.
Use summoned/spiral swords at almost all times.
Learning to execute all 3 hits of his Judgement Cut reasonably consistently helps a lot, as it does very good damage.
For some of the more difficult platforming sections (eg, Secret Mission 12), since Vergil lacks Air Hike, learn how to re-align yourself in the air with Aerial Rave to allow you to aim his Trick Up teleport. This is also required for some hidden blue orb locations.
His taunt with Yamato gives you DT consistently as long as you remain near an opponent, if you can prevent them getting to you, this can allow you to easily recover DT (you can also shoot summoned swords while in his Yamato taunt stance to slow down approaching opponents).

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
okay so switching between the yamato and force edge will probably be my go to and the swords is a given considering im a gunslinger stylist with dance which ones are better the spiral or summoned swords? and can you help explain how best to combat the bossess with vergil people like nevan and agnil and rudra are easy but cerberus and beowulf will be a problem any tips?

aoshi

Ah, the good old days. I remember playing through dante must die mode with vergil jus to unlock.....oh wait...don't want to spoil unless you want to know anyways (Nelo Angelo).The big problem with him(to me) was lack of air hike. But jump cancelling yamato aerial rave can be euphoric. Especially in mission 12(With full DT). Actually i beat arkham in DMD with vergil quite easily though second half of the battle is with no style. The secret is.....oh wait...i keep forgetting i shouldn't spoil you....but you asked for combat tips so here it is....Though second part has no style or devil trigger, summoned swords can jus cause quick damage that a style or DT does. Charge them, get close to arkham, beowulff the bitch.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
How do you jump cancel and what does that mean(yes i know noob question) lol and what about the other bosses??

MKH Spartan

Spiral swords I use a lot, however they cost 2 bars of DT to use, however if used correctly they make that make by the time you get rid of them and they jump up your damage output by a fair bit. Usually let them get a few hits on the enemies then when they are close to being destroyed, use to attack your opponent (I prefer using Lock-on+Back+Shoot myself, I think it's called Blistering Swords but I am not 100% off the top of my head and my xbox is off).

For the boss strategies against Cerberus and Beowulf I have recorded a no damage run against both of them, I could of done better, particularly against Beowulf but I kept getting hit by one pillar and screwing up my no damage run so I just played if safer on him than needed (you can do a lot more damage when he sends his 5-6 pillars in a row by hitting him with Round Trip + Judgement Cuts in between but I didn't do that on the run I uploaded).

Cerberus you can either use Spiral Swords + Aerial Rave on his legs to knock him down, then go for his heads, I prefer to hit the one which calls in the ice storms first, as they are really annoying (that is the head with the yellow eyes I think), or you can safe spot in the left corner where only his ice storm & ice breath (which is UBER telegraphed and easy to dodge) can hit you, when the ice storm comes in use a combination or jump + darkslayer evades to avoid the ice. I usually go for jump, normal trick, trick up, trick down, evades the ice about 90% of the time if done right.

Beowulf simply roll/trick up to dodge his 3-hit string, you can stinger his pillars at him, you can also destroy his pillars with you summoned swords and when he does his "SPARDA!!!" move, DT and sprint behind him, then hit him hard for even trying that move lolz.

In case you prefer a visual approach, here is my SS run with Cerberus at the end of Mission 3, and a video with me doing just the boss battle against Beowulf, it might help give you some ideas.

Hope that helps.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Thanks a lot ill watch these later any other tips for using vergil? also i posted a thread about making sure you kill 100 enemies during the credits lady stole my last kill any way you knwo to make sure you get 100 kill to get the achievement?

MKH Spartan

Thanks a lot ill watch these later any other tips for using vergil? also i posted a thread about making sure you kill 100 enemies during the credits lady stole my last kill any way you knwo to make sure you get 100 kill to get the achievement?
The kills Lady gets still count towards your kill total, so if she kill steals it, it doesn't matter. If you are having trouble getting the 100 kills in the credits, play it on a low difficulty eg, Normal or Easy, pick Rebellion and Stinger at everyone. I don't think you can fail doing that lol, plus Kalina arm is good if they group up, but there are not many at a time I think, they die too fast.

If you are playing as Vergil, just use Force Edge and Stinger, works the same way.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
HUH!...is there a time limit? to get the 100 kills lol i just want the achievement and to see the cutscene with vergil

MKH Spartan

HUH!...is there a time limit? to get the 100 kills lol i just want the achievement and to see the cutscene with vergil
Yes, you have until it runs out of credits to roll through lol. The idea is just kill then as fast as possible, Stinger kills very fast on lower difficulties and travels great distance, so it allows you to quickly dispatch them. The 100th enemy is always a Hell Vanguard (teleporting, screaming, really annoying when you have to fight 3 at once in Bloody Palace), once you kill him you are all good for the 100 kills.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
okay ill have to try that out on easy and just try and blaze through i got to the hellvanguard and then i think the credits ran out just as i killed him lol it sucked...another question for vergil the force edge sword is the combat similar to dantes rebellion in terms of combos and range cuz yamato seems treally limited in range to me

MKH Spartan

okay ill have to try that out on easy and just try and blaze through i got to the hellvanguard and then i think the credits ran out just as i killed him lol it sucked...another question for vergil the force edge sword is the combat similar to dantes rebellion in terms of combos and range cuz yamato seems treally limited in range to me
Essentially:

Beowulf: Highest damage out of his weapons, shortest range, single target moves. Learning how to JC with Starfall allows for insane damage output, shines especially in the boss fights against Vergil.

Yamato: Second highest damage, good range of aoe moves, has Judgement Cut, however many of the moves have quite bad cancel frames. Also, on some of the moves, if you let Vergil re-sheathe his sword, you regain 1 bar of DT. Good for crowd-control if they aren't Devil-Triggered (Judgement Cut still is even if they are in DT however).

Force Edge: Shares some of the same moves with Rebellion eg Stinger, High Time, Helm Breaker. Has the best cancel frames out of his 3 weapons, but the least damage. I use this more when I can only get 1-2 hits in then have to quickly move, against several spiders on VMD for example. Also when you use Round Trip, it is usually best to then follow up with Judgement Cut while Force Edge is out of your hands, allows for some great damage from range if you combine both of them plus Vergil's Summoned Swords.

If you have any other questions feel free to put them in here, however I won't be able to answer them for a while, it's 4:40am in the morning where I live and I really need some sleep lol, so if they aren't answered when I hop back on later today I'll try answer them for you.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
LOL i was wondering about time zones the other day when it came to people i speak with on a regular basis on here lol get some rest thanks a lot for the tips ill prolly have more questions later

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
so right now im just replaying the first lvl of vergils mode just to lvl up this character is amazing lol the only thing i wishe he had is pistols lol which im sure everyone has both of your videos were very helpful thanks again

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
so when it comes to someone like nevan what should i be doing because i used to mostly use the pistols to bring the bats down and smack her once or twice with rebellion whats the general strategy with vergil vs nevan? and with the battle against lady i heard that with dante using agni and rudra will stun her for longer is there a weapon with vergil that does the same?

MKH Spartan

so when it comes to someone like nevan what should i be doing because i used to mostly use the pistols to bring the bats down and smack her once or twice with rebellion whats the general strategy with vergil vs nevan? and with the battle against lady i heard that with dante using agni and rudra will stun her for longer is there a weapon with vergil that does the same?
I'll write you out a post when I get back, I'm heading out for lunch in a minute, so I don't have time to write it out now, I recently did a good playthrough against Nevan with Vergil, I screwed up the loop on her because I hadn't played against her in about a month so I play the first minute more careful than needed, but then get back into it. I haven't recorded a Vergil vs Lady battle yet, but I'll put my old video of me using Dante against her.

I'll write some stuff up on the battles when I get back, hopefully those will help in the meantime.

Top Bottom