• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How does Kat compare to Lady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlchemistFromEden

definitely more character development and less sexism and frankly probably more useful since she's a witch, i absolutely hated dmc4 lady because all she was was plot exposition, characters in the classic games developed way too fast and left no room to develop making them empty characters, like nero, he can't develop anymore because now he's as overpowered as dante

EvilX-81

definitely more character development and less sexism and frankly probably more useful since she's a witch, i absolutely hated dmc4 lady because all she was was plot exposition, characters in the classic games developed way too fast and left no room to develop making them empty characters, like nero, he can't develop anymore because now he's as overpowered as dante

I wanted to play Lady in DMC3. I thought we'd perhaps get to play her in DMC4. Lol NOPE

I do like Kat more. Maybe it was because Lady was (for justified reasons) a near unreasonable utter bitch in 3, and now suddenly became sassy, sexy eye candy (not totally complaining here because her threads were pretty cool, but...WTF?) in 4.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
DMC3 Lady I really liked a lot she was cool was not ultra sexy, and in the scope of that game had decent development. DMC4 Lady got a random boob job and just turned into a hot girl with a giant gun and the DMC anime was even worse, simply hated her by that the end of it. Kat seems to take a few cues from the original DMC3 Lady in the sort of loner orhphan with a messed up past but she is way more developed, does not kick as much ass but still overall a better character. If NT gets to do a sequel I would really love to see a new take on Lady or even Trish, maybe even convince me to not be annoyed by Trish.

SryCauldon

So........(SPOILERS!!!)

Any examples of Kats Character development or awesome moments, or other things that fit such a comparison?

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
So........(SPOILERS!!!)

Any examples of Kats Character development or awesome moments, or other things that fit such a comparison?

Kat doesn't really develop, she's the same person from beginning to end, but there's some revelations about her past, why she's so devoted to Vergil, and what drives her to put her life on the line hunting demons. She does something really cool late in the story that doesn't get any screen time or explanation, just implications, that allows the twins to take the fight to Mundus.

As to my opinion, I like her okay, but I don't like her more than Lady. Like I said, she doesn't have her own character arc the way Trish, Lady, and Lucia did; like Kyrie in DMC4, she's mostly just there to motivate the hero, only this time with more depth and personality. This could have been avoided, as there are aspects to her story that lent themselves to growth. And, this is a personal bone, but I dislike how she couldn't defend herself. Not every female character needs to be a demon-slaying badass, but nobody so much as taught her which end of a gun to hold?

TheNoHeartedBeing

Spoiler alert. I cared about Kat way more than Lady. Like when your stuck in limbo and you cant do anything to saver her. I actually felt Dante's pain.

AlchemistFromEden

Kat doesn't really develop, she's the same person from beginning to end, but there's some revelations about her past, why she's so devoted to Vergil, and what drives her to put her life on the line hunting demons. She does something really cool late in the story that doesn't get any screen time or explanation, just implications, that allows the twins to take the fight to Mundus.

As to my opinion, I like her okay, but I don't like her more than Lady. Like I said, she doesn't have her own character arc the way Trish, Lady, and Lucia did; like Kyrie in DMC4, she's mostly just there to motivate the hero, only this time with more depth and personality. This could have been avoided, as there are aspects to her story that lent themselves to growth. And, this is a personal bone, but I dislike how she couldn't defend herself. Not every female character needs to be a demon-slaying badass, but nobody so much as taught her which end of a gun to hold?
dude there were a bunch of swat guys and she was the only person left alive, she's not masterchief, and its not anime-ish so the swat guys unfortunately are actually useful at killing humans without mercy

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
dude there were a bunch of swat guys and she was the only person left alive, she's not masterchief, and its not anime-ish so the swat guys unfortunately are actually useful at killing humans without mercy

Like I said, I didn't expect her to snipe people from a rooftop like a boss. But she had magical powers and a lot of backbone, and couldn't do anything. This is the same girl who put together a magical Molotov to render a massive Hunter demon vulnerable enough for Dante to kill. I had trouble accepting she had zero skills to deploy against mere humans. How about a few regular Molotovs?

Also, DmC is modeled after Western action movies where the cops, including SWAT, tend to be hilariously incompetent, as evidenced by their inability to injure Kat again despite spraying hundreds of bullets in her direction while she was exposed later in the game.

SryCauldon

Wait........so she works in a secret organization, helps fight demons, and yet she has no weapons or training in combat?

And also said secret organization has no contingency plans in place for if they are discovered? No hidden escape route with demolition charges near the entrance or gas masks in the area and vents that release some form of air born sleeping agent or toxin?

Neither of those things make the most sense......

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Wait........so she works in a secret organization, helps fight demons, and yet she has no weapons or training in combat?

And also said secret organization has no contingency plans in place for if they are discovered? No hidden escape route with demolition charges near the entrance or gas masks in the area and vents that release some form of air born sleeping agent or toxin?

To be fair, there was one escape route through Limbo set up in Vergil's central office, and defenses in the form of Kat's magic seals scattered all over the building, which slowed down the invading SWAT team for awhile. But, no, there were no mortal escape routes, no mortal defense contingencies, and none of the members displayed any offensive ability. They just got gunned down without retaliation. Not what I could call a good example of "freedom fighters". I could have been cool with them losing if they fought back, making the SWAT team pay heavily for it, and if there were some mention of a few survivors escaping to safehouses set up just in case of disaster.

SryCauldon

Yes, if they know the world is against them, and that demons control things, one would think they would have defenses set up with the best resources at their disposal against any form of attack whether demonic or human, and every member being armed and trained in the use of those arms in case of discovery as well as various escape routes.

The first line of thought any secret organization has (Any decent one) is "what will we do if we are found out?"

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Yes, if they know the world is against them, and that demons control things, one would think they would have defenses set up with the best resources at their disposal against any form of attack whether demonic or human, and every member being armed and trained in the use of those arms in case of discovery as well as various escape routes.

The first line of thought any secret organization has (Any decent one) is "what will we do if we are found out?"

True. I suspect the writers liked the idea of an underground organization more than they wanted to deal with the execution. If "the Order" had consisted solely of Kat and Vergil mucking about together in their lair, it wouldn't have made a difference. Oh, I forgot! Kat does arm a self-destruct sequence at the end to destroy all the Order's sensitive data and most of the building. Problem is the room she has to do it in has no mortal way out. (And also the game doesn't explain how the self-destruct didn't kill her and her captors.) I dunno. The whole sequence was weird.

Martius

SSSmokin!

Its not a plothole, its a feature.

AlchemistFromEden

True. I suspect the writers liked the idea of an underground organization more than they wanted to deal with the execution. If "the Order" had consisted solely of Kat and Vergil mucking about together in their lair, it wouldn't have made a difference. Oh, I forgot! Kat does arm a self-destruct sequence at the end to destroy all the Order's sensitive data and most of the building. Problem is the room she has to do it in has no mortal way out. (And also the game doesn't explain how the self-destruct didn't kill her and her captors.) I dunno. The whole sequence was weird.
-considering that the order was full of normal everyday humans and kat being "special" i'm not surprised that they couldn't go rambo and fight back against all of those trained guards
-Kat also only uses wiccan recipes and simple magic, not things such as blasting balls of energy remember this isn't old dmc when that was the norm so we shouldn't at all over estimate humans
-the game never actually says that no one escaped or that no one fought back, all we saw was multiple people getting killed doesn't mean they got them all and think about the way you get into the order's hideout with the eye scanner and code

SryCauldon

-considering that the order was full of normal everyday humans and kat being "special" i'm not surprised that they couldn't go rambo and fight back against all of those trained guards
-Kat also only uses wiccan recipes and simple magic, not things such as blasting balls of energy remember this isn't old dmc when that was the norm so we shouldn't at all over estimate humans
-the game never actually says that no one escaped or that no one fought back, all we saw was multiple people getting killed doesn't mean they got them all and think about the way you get into the order's hideout with the eye scanner and code
-That is nonsensical, they are part of a secret organization and aware that it is them against the world, and the demons that control it, to not try to have as much in the way of weapons and training in the use of those weapons as possible in case their location was outed somehow sounds like the very pinnacle of stupidity. And if they had proper weapons and training, they could have fought against trained guards, especially if they had set booby traps throughout their base in case of such a situation to give them a further advantage. That they did none of those things makes no sense.
-The same applies to Kat, why was she not armed, and trained in those armaments, that she had magic is no reason for her to not also have weapons and learn how to use them, especially given how hostile she knows the demon controlled world is to her and her group. When everything in the world is potentially against you, why would she not be armed and trained, why would the Order not be armed and trained?
-Were any of the people killed shown to be armed? And were any escape routes shown? Did they at least have flash bangs or use smoke grenades (which are easy to make) to make it harder for the raiding Swat group to take them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom