• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How difficult would it be to make DMC5, anyways?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Well the controversy over the reboot should make them rethink that.
No, see...that would involve Capcom employees actually taking the time and effort to actually MAKE a Devil May Cry game themselves...ya know, instead of paying some third-party developer to do it instead, and then suddenly acting surprised when the final result is somewhat different from the rest of the series.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
No, see...that would involve Capcom employees actually taking the time and effort to actually MAKE a Devil May Cry game themselves...ya know, instead of paying some third-party developer to do it instead, and then suddenly acting surprised when the final result is somewhat different from the rest of the series.

So....Capcom is too stupid, is what you're saying?

WolfOD64

So....Capcom is too stupid, is what you're saying?
No, not stupid...they know how to shamelessly bank off the nostalgia and dedication of their hardcore fans (Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Ultimate Street Fighter IV were particularly egregious examples), so they're smart in the conniving, greedy, snide kind of way. They're just incapable of making good decisions in literally every other department. They overspend on games like Resident Evil 6, they cancel four simultaneous Mega Man projects due to lack of hope in any new or fresh IP's, they fail to advertise games like Dragon's Dogma and then act surprise when they undersell, and worst of all...they will blame "overseas relationships", "outsourcing", and literally anything else but themselves.

They're not just incompetent on a corporate standpoint, they're arrogant to the point of hilarity. And look where they are, as a result...they're hastily shedding out different variations of Street Fighter and Monster, while simultaneously throwing money into a next-gen engine for Deep Down in the vain hopes that they can remedy the thousand corporate uppercuts that landed them in a prostrate position of financial failure.

Sawyer1331

Son Of Sparda Is Back
Why are we talking about Kamiya when Itsuno is still in Capcom and is interested in making a new DMC game?

And let's get real, the only reason we got DmC over DMC5 was because of Dragon's Dogma, not Capcom having no interest in making a new DMC game themselves.

WolfOD64

And let's get real, the only reason we got DmC over DMC5 was because of Dragon's Dogma, not Capcom having no interest in making a new DMC game themselves.
I don't know about that...
Remember, Capcom has never hesitated from making a game just because the original devs aren't available. They never even informed Kamiya about DMC2, and just went ahead and made that game with an entire new group of developers. Also, Itsuno wasn't the only one working on Dragon's Dogma...Hiroyuki Kobayashi was one of the leading forces behind DMC4, and he spent the latter years after the game's release working on the Sengoku Basara series and later, Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma.

Capcom doesn't limit their developers to just one project at a time...they aren't that merciful. So I doubt DMC5 didn't happen because of Itsuno and Kobayashi not being available.

Besides, Capcom's lack of greenlighting a proper sequel was evident when Keiji Inafune announced in 2010 that "Devil May Cry 5 would have a western tone to it", indicating that for all intents and purposes, DmC was their pitch for another game in the series.

Sawyer1331

Son Of Sparda Is Back
I don't know about that...
Remember, Capcom has never hesitated from making a game just because the original devs aren't available. They never even informed Kamiya about DMC2, and just went ahead and made that game with an entire new group of developers. Also, Itsuno wasn't the only one working on Dragon's Dogma...Hiroyuki Kobayashi was one of the leading forces behind DMC4, and he spent the latter years after the game's release working on the Sengoku Basara series and later, Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma.

Capcom doesn't limit their developers to just one project at a time...they aren't that merciful. So I doubt DMC5 didn't happen because of Itsuno and Kobayashi not being available.

Besides, Capcom's lack of greenlighting a proper sequel was evident when Keiji Inafune announced in 2010 that "Devil May Cry 5 would have a western tone to it", indicating that for all intents and purposes, DmC was their pitch for another game in the series.
As I said before, I don't think it was a matter of not having an interest, it's just that Capcom had more interest in making a rival for Skyrim and achieving 10 million sells in the process.

But you are right, Itsuno wasn't the only one who worked on Dragon's Dogma but he kinda was the director of the project so I think it's safe to say that he and the Devil May Cry team were kinda busy and couldn't work on a DMC game even if Capcom wanted them to.

And again you are right, Capcom doesn't usually limit their developers to one project but then again Dragon's Dogma wasn't just any project. At the time DD was the biggest and most ambitious project in Capcom's history so I highly doubt that Capcom treated it (and it's developers) like a normal project.

We got DmC cause at the time Capcom couldn't make a DMC game themselves but at the same time they didn't want the franchise to be forgotten, couple that with the fact that all this happened during Capcom's westernization fever, then it's pretty obvious why they went with Ninja Theory and DmC.

And about that DMC2-DmC comparison, come on man. 2010's Capcom was not the same Capcom during PS2 era. That comparison doesn't make any sense cause it's two decisions being made by almost two entirely different management teams.

As far as next DMC goes, I do believe that we'll see a Capcom made DMC in the future. In fact, I'm pretty sure Itsuno and the original DMC team are working on it as we speak.

WolfOD64

As I said before, I don't think it was a matter of not having an interest, it's just that Capcom had more interest in making a rival for Skyrim and achieving 10 million sells in the process.

But you are right, Itsuno wasn't the only one who worked on Dragon's Dogma but he kinda was the director of the project so I think it's safe to say that he and the Devil May Cry team were kinda busy and couldn't work on a DMC game even if Capcom wanted them to.

And again you are right, Capcom doesn't usually limit their developers to one project but then again Dragon's Dogma wasn't just any project. At the time DD was the biggest and most ambitious project in Capcom's history so I highly doubt that Capcom treated it (and it's developers) like a normal project.
True enough. Itsuno did describe it as a game he had always visualized since childhood, and now had the means to make. That's probably why he's so bent on making Dragon's Dogma 2.

But I think you might be a little mixed up. Dragon's Dogma WAS an expensive game to make, but it wasn't the biggest or most ambitious project Capcom had attempted at the time. That would be a game that was being developed simultaneously, which was Resident Evil 6. Not only was it the most costly game they've ever attempted, but it had the largest staff of developers in the history of Capcom's existence: over four hundred people.

And about that DMC2-DmC comparison, come on man. 2010's Capcom was not the same Capcom during PS2 era. That comparison doesn't make any sense cause it's two decisions being made by almost two entirely different management teams.
As much as I hate to say it, Capcom has demonstrated this kind of behavior on previous projects as well. Remember Resident Evil 5? Well, it was released literally weeks after RE4 was released, with a full-blown teaser trailer and everything. The producer of 4, Hideki Kobayashi obliviously found out about it while promoting the fourth game, and was already hastily succeeded by Jun Takeuchi to produce RE5. That's how quickly they want to churn out sequels to games. They very much operate under the same bizarre kind of management.

As far as next DMC goes, I do believe that we'll see a Capcom made DMC in the future. In fact, I'm pretty sure Itsuno and the original DMC team are working on it as we speak.
I would expect the next DMC sometime after the release of Deep Down. That game was made for the sole purpose of demonstrating the capability of the new Panta Rhei engine for next-gen consoles, the same way Dead Rising was made to toy around with the capabilities of the MT Framework engine. And only a short time later, one of the brand-new games to be released to take advantage of the next-gen hardware was DMC4.

If all goes well, maybe history will repeat itself.

Top Bottom