• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Honest question...how good is DmC combat

Dantenevercries

alot of people have said the combat of DmC is simpler, less challenging and less in depth then DMC3/4

is thist rue

where would you rate the complexity and depth of DmC combat compared with DMC 3/4

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
alot of people have said the combat of DmC is simpler, less challenging and less in depth then DMC3/4

is thist rue

where would you rate the complexity and depth of DmC combat compared with DMC 3/4

The person to ask this to is a member called ef9 o shea hell be able to answer this faster then waiting on replies

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
While i can't say that there is a distinct lack of variety i did notice that combat is more streamlined it isn't as crazy as it used to be before for instance your weapons are now simplified Heavy&light weapons like god of war.

The style meter doesn't go down as quickly as it used to before and the style system is replaced by Demon mode&Angel mode it lets you switch between weapons&use different abilities like dashing in air or grappling platforms.

You also have weapons specific enemies and a more aerial based combat which you can extend using devil trigger which is more or less just like quicksilver from DMC 3.

The gameplay is mostly the same from DMC 4 but slightly altered.
The combat is still pretty fun and mostly is just a tweaked version of nero&dante's combat.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It might have a little bit less than DMC 4 but it still has quite the variety and is capable of a lot of stuff when you really start to get creative. (Just check out Sam's videos on this forum for example. Stylish as f#ck. Dive in to some videos and see for yourself that DmC still has PLENTY combo potential and is head and shoulders above most action games out there)

The controls are also pretty comfortable and it just feels better when you streamline those sick combos. Mechanically I would say it's the best in the series. It should incorporate this kind of control scheme regardless whether it would be a DmC 2 or a DMC 5. It just makes a lot of sense and definitely is a nice improvement.

Plus it's still just......
spongebob-fun_133421864.gif

Even if it's lacking just a little bit compared to previous titles it is not a huge downgrade whatsoever and a lot of people really exaggerate that claim. (And I'm pretty sure quite of bit still haven't played it themselves)

I've been playing this franchise since day 1 and while DMC 1 is still my favorite of them all you'd still have a hack n slashy good time with DmC. A strong fun title that does some pretty cool things. I think you're missing out if you pass up on it. Rent it or borrow at least because it's a fun way to spend a weekend. ^_^

It's not like it affects the originals. I'll always still have my DMC 1 and 3. I'm just glad I got another good and fun one in one of my favorite franchises.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
i forgot to add that its still great fun and with jc the combos are fun to pull off and see on screen with larger groups and rockman and chancey were spot on with there evaluation too:)

told you this was the guy to ask and a hand to chancey and rockman for also giving accurate and descriptive answers as well always nice to see the pro's helping out someone new

Dantenevercries

the reason I asked.. is cause I just don't think ninja theory has the talent to make an awesome combat system compared to Capcom's best.... I don't mean to sound disrespectful to NT,

but the general consensus seems that its not as shallow as we think, its just not as complex/deep as DMC 3/4....

plus I read somewhere that Capcom helped NT, ALOT, with the gameplay

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
the reason I asked.. is cause I just don't think ninja theory has the talent to make an awesome combat system compared to Capcom's best.... I don't mean to sound disrespectful to NT,

but the general consensus seems that its not as shallow as we think, its just not as complex/deep as DMC 3/4....

plus I read somewhere that Capcom helped NT, ALOT, with the gameplay

NT is really just starting to get a good handle on hack n slash. If you look at Heavenly Sword and then look at DmC, you can see that NT have really grown from the repetitive hack n slashing and have really dug into a deeper style. And who knows, maybe after DmC, they'll get better with their combat system.

DmC's combat system isn't shallow. It just pales in comparison to DMC3/4. Just like how DMC3/4's gameplay and style pales in comparison to Bayonetta.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
it reminds me of DMC3 gameplay...then again it reminds me of arkham city...i love both, but the intensity of DMC3 and the flow of AC its awesome. i love it.

berto

I Saw the Devil

is thist rue

As someone who's never mastered anything like jump canceling of buffering I'd rather the combat above DMC4 but below DMC3. Again, I've never been able to tap into the complexities of DMC3/4's combat so I can't say much about that.

The games flaws become more apparent as you play it more but depending on what you are looking for the game might or might not suit your tastes. If you are only interested in a one time experience the game is great. If you are looking for something that might play a lot, not so much. There definitely is a combat system to be mastered if you are new to the franchise and some cool little extras if you already mastered a previous DMC game, it's a good introduction to the rest of the series. However, the game does have significant short comings, specially if you have mastered a DMC title before this one, as people who are better at DMC3 and 4 tell me. As people have said, the game is more stream line and accessible, which might not always be a plus, depending on what you are looking for. Its a fine HnS, just not what I'd call the best DMC.

It's more 'good job, little buddy' and less 'you can do better than that!' It took me 4 tries to S rank the first mission in DMC3 but dying 4 times in DmC still got me a SS rank... It's a bit patronizing, actually.

The game is pretty cheap these days so it's not as big a risk as a $60 investment, and return policies are pretty forgiving on used games if curiosity gets the better of you.

berto

I Saw the Devil
He's looking for an honest answer, not an excuse to start fights. Answer him honestly and leave it as such.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014

is thist rue

Suggestion: don't take other people's opinions for it. See for yourself and judge for yourself. What someone might see one way, you'll see a different way; what someone might hate, you might like. Don't go on what others have to say.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
As someone who's never mastered anything like jump canceling of buffering I'd rather the combat above DMC4 but below DMC3. Again, I've never been able to tap into the complexities of DMC3/4's combat so I can't say much about that.

The games flaws become more apparent as you play it more but depending on what you are looking for the game might or might not suit your tastes. If you are only interested in a one time experience the game is great. If you are looking for something that might play a lot, not so much. There definitely is a combat system to be mastered if you are new to the franchise and some cool little extras if you already mastered a previous DMC game, it's a good introduction to the rest of the series. However, the game does have significant short comings, specially if you have mastered a DMC title before this one, as people who are better at DMC3 and 4 tell me. As people have said, the game is more stream line and accessible, which might not always be a plus, depending on what you are looking for. Its a fine HnS, just not what I'd call the best DMC.

It's more 'good job, little buddy' and less 'you can do better than that!' It took me 4 tries to S rank the first mission in DMC3 but dying 4 times in DmC still got me a SS rank... It's a bit patronizing, actually.

The game is pretty cheap these days so it's not as big a risk as a $60 investment, and return policies are pretty forgiving on used games if curiosity gets the better of you.

You died four times and still got an ss????? wtf lol and what level were you playing on(in terms of diffuculty) to die 3 times on the first mission in dmc3?

berto

I Saw the Devil
You died four times and still got an ss????? wtf lol and what level were you playing on(in terms of diffuculty) to die 3 times on the first mission in dmc3?
I didn't die 3 times in mission one of DMC3, it took me 3 tries to get an S rank, as in I had to play it over and over again before I got it right.

aoshi

We can't compare combat of DmC and its previous games cuz lock-on is removed in DmC. Lock-on guarantees precision combat in previous games. So not having one means the DmC does not demand precision as previous games.

Top Bottom