• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Goth girls: Good or bad influence?

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
How many of you watch Boy Meets World & Girl Meets World?

And second, is right or wrong for a boy to date a goth girl? And a non-goth girl to have a goth girl as a best friend?

Can there be Christian goths too?

Last edited:

Aurelius

I grew up with the Boy Meets World Show and no I don't find anything wrong with dating or befriending someone who appears gothic. After all, they're still normal human beings. Best of luck to you!

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm sure I did watch Boy Meets World...a very very loooooooong time ago.
I don't see how it's wrong for a girl and a boy who find each other attractive and likeable to date.
The same applies to girls being friends with goth-girls. Just because she's goth doesn't necessarily mean the girl or boy will convert to Goth as well. Just like if you have a friend who is vegan and you love to eat meaty stuff, neither should be expecting the other to change on their behalf.

There can be Christian goths but from experience they are weak of faith.

Just so you know, goths are more often labelled the outcast of society because they don't follow general society. It's a trend, a fashion style, and for a lot of young people it's just a phase. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are depressed, suicidal, occultists, dangerous or any of the other negative connotations. There are some really sweet and fun people out there who are Goth. Just like bikers, they're not all necessarily out to cause trouble. Don't judge a book by its cover, I say.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
My prom date was a goth girl who wrote poetry about me. She also broke my heart for 6 months after but in hindsight I really overeacted.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I'm sure I did watch Boy Meets World...a very very loooooooong time ago.
I don't see how it's wrong for a girl and a boy who find each other attractive and likeable not to date.
The same applies to girls being friends with goth-girls. Just because she's goth doesn't necessarily mean the girl or boy will convert to Goth as well. Just like if you have a friend who is vegan and you love to eat meaty stuff, neither should be expecting the other to change on their behalf.

There can be Christian goths but from experience they are weak of faith.

Just so you know, goths are more often labelled the outcast of society because they don't follow general society. It's a trend, a fashion style, and for a lot of young people it's just a phase. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are depressed, suicidal, occultists, dangerous or any of the other negative connotations. There are some really sweet and fun people out there who are Goth. Just like bikers, they're not all necessarily out to cause trouble. Don't judge a book by its cover, I say.

But how can you find out that underneath that goth appearance, he/she is a good, kind, sweet & understanding person?

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
...I don't really understand what you're asking here???

Just because someone's goth doesn't mean that they are a bad influence, nor does it mean that they aren't a good person.

Not everyone that is emo is depressed or suicidal, not everyone that's super tough looking is an asshole, not everyone who doesn't eat meat wants people who do to die in a fire, etc., etc.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
As someone who formerly indulged in a Goth group myself, and was surrounded by many "Goth girls", I can safely assure any and all outsiders to the very obscure, and in retrospect, pretty funny and hilariously-dated subculture vary just like any other member of any other demographic: it's down to how he/she is as a person first, that determines how people will perceive them.

The majority of the Goth girls I knew and talked to never satisfied one, generalist umbrella: all of them were unique and characteristically-individual people. Some were quiet and anti-social, very much satisfying the brooding stereotype of Gothic enthusiasts in pop culture at large, where others showed tendencies of self-conscious insecurity which stemmed from lack of attention from family or friends and drove them to take up leather and buckle with the rest of us social outcasts. Some of them were even bubbly and upbeat, mostly because they liked going to Goth clubs and dance raves, which to some extend is why most of them still make up a good chunk of the rave community today (albeit for more underground musical tastes than anything as densely populated as Eurodance, Techno, or Nightcore. These gals were very much in the Aggrotech and Cyberpunk crowd).

Being "Goth" doesn't automatically equate to that trashy kid in makeup who drinks or smokes to be cool, dresses scantily for attention, forces people out of their comfort zone, or participates in grimy or distasteful activities just to "rebel." It's down to how the person under all the make-up and Final Fantasy necklaces operates as an individual person.

On a side-note, I will also offer an embarassing secret that a portion of my fascination with occult novelties like Vampires has very much to do with my love of Goth girls. I think they're adorable, and always make for great characters in fiction. :tongue:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
...I don't really understand what you're asking here???

Just because someone's goth doesn't mean that they are a bad influence, nor does it mean that they aren't a good person.

Not everyone that is emo is depressed or suicidal, not everyone that's super tough looking is an asshole, not everyone who doesn't eat meat wants people who do to die in a fire, etc., etc.

Well for those of you who watch BMW & GMW and learned anything from those shows, is it a good or bad idea to befriend at least one goth/emo?

Someone who can possibly be a good influence to you.

Viper

Premium
Well for those of you who watch BMW & GMW and learned anything from those shows, is it a good or bad idea to befriend at least one goth/emo?

Someone who can possibly be a good influence to you.
Dude, just go and meet people. Whether it's a good idea or bad idea one knows from interacting with people directly, and not passing judgement based on stereotypes and someone elses anecdotes.
Unless it's an objectively made educational show, tv shows aren't going to teach you anything of value, cause their purpose is entertainment alone.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Viper beat me to the punch. I used to watch BMW way back in the day (and again when they hit the college years). Honestly, it's a sitcom--you're not going to come away from it with actual information pertaining to one demographic or another. I know the show sometimes deals with actual life issues, but when it's not doing that, it's basically making caricatures of actual people. That's just the way it (and most TV) is.

I've been called Goth by people (which is funny, because even when I favoured more black in my wardrobe, I never saw myself as one. I've always just been--I don't know, other) but the legit ones I knew back in high-school are much like what @WolfOD64 mentioned: there were the brooders, the artists, the bubbly types, etc. Goth is more a style than an attitude--and shows are notorious for misrepresentation of them.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I agree with @King-Sess. I don't really get what you're asking. Spent my teenage years very much into the Goth subculture and I've kept up with some of the aesthetic (though I wouldn't call myself Goth, personally) and...yeah, I don't really understand the concern. People are people no matter what society chooses to label them. Some are horrible people, some are wonderful, and some are in between. Are there Goth girls that are into drugs or sleep around or are in to Satanism? Sure. But I've also met very "preppy" girls who were like that and nerdy girls like that and girls that fit into any label under the sun. There's nothing inherently wrong with being Goth. It's not a sign someone is a bad person. Like most of the people in this thread have said, just talk to them. They're people. Most are really nice and will be happy to make a friend--especially a friend that doesn't look at them weird for how they dress. If you're worried about meeting a girl that does drugs or something, then I hate to break it to you but that's a problem you have a chance of running into with just about anyone. (I'll save the lecture on why people shouldn't be scared of Satanists for another time.) Just go about it the way you'd make any kind of friend. You might surprise yourself by the outcome.

Top Bottom